The Beat has sadly died!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

The Beat has sadly died!

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:23 pm

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswi ... -1-5697669

“His eyes, they shine like Diamonds,
They call Him the King of the Land,
And there stood, Kevin Beattie,
Born with the Cup in his hands”

R.I.P. - King Kevin Beattie : Blue to the Core !

Tribute from Stoke rag.....today

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ke-2010681
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: The Beat has sadly died!

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Absolutely stunned and totally speechless. I can’t think of any Town player I’ve enjoyed watching more than Kevin Beattie in his prime.

RIP Kevin and condolences to your family and many friends.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

:cry: :cry: I'm stunned and devastated, the greatest Town player of all time taken far too young. RIP the king of Portman Road. Thoughts go out to his family & friends.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm

Absolutely speechless. Was not something I expected to hear RIP the Beat. Honestly am shocked

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:29 pm

In his prime without doubt the best player I have ever seen in a Town shirt.
Will never forget a game I attended at Anfield back in the 70’s and the Town got a corner at the kop end and the Liverpool fans were given the Beat real stick. The corner came in and the Beat leapt like only he could and his header thundered into the back of the net. The whole Kop end went silent.
Thanks for the memories Kev and RIP. Thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm

A bit too young to remember him playing.... but everyone who saw him play during the seventies always recalls how great he was.

The YouTube videos show how powerful he was... his left foot was a rocket and he seemed like he outleap anyone.

Really sad. RIP The Beat.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Very sad and unexpected news. KB was a giant for Ipswich Town and will always be fondly remembered.

My condolences to his wife and family.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Very sad news. My condolences to his family. A true legend of the game who is was privileged to see play when I was young.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 pm

RIP Kevin. Gone, but never forgotten.

Thoughts with family & friends.

:(

verulam

Post by verulam » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Oh so sad and totally unexpected. My condolences to his family.

Many of us will have a favourite Beattie goal. Mine was the last home game of the 1974/75 season. It was against West Ham to whom we had lost the FA Cup semi-final (after a replay). Kevin picked up the ball just outside our penalty area and then tore through what seemed to be the entire Hammers defence before unleashing an unstoppable shot from about 20 yards. Happy memories.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:04 pm

Like all of you I'm shocked, saddened and got a lump in my throat, was a truly great footballer and gent, taken far too early. My thoughts are with all his friends and family, God bless Kevin, I will toast his memory later, RIP Beat.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:24 pm

OMG the thread title says it all. Kevin Beattie thank you for the pleasure of watching you play for club and country you will live on as a legend. My Sympathy to your family and friends. Mr Kevin Beattie you are truly one of if not the greatest player Ipswich Town fc ever had. RIP. :cry:

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:01 pm

RIP Kevin. You will be sadly missed.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:39 pm

The loss of a legend always liked to listen to him on the radio .
Always remembered him coming on as sub in 1981 against Bohemians Prague and scoring with his 1st touch from a free kick .
RIP Beat the final whistle has been blown .

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:59 pm

A sad day indeed. a true legend and when folk from my era think of Ipswich Town you think of Kevin Beattie.
RIP and deepest condolences to his friends and family and all Town fans who have lost one of theirs from all football fans.
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 am

Kevin Beattie was an inspirational figure that would motivate an entire team. The game today is poorer for his passing.

Arguably the club would not have been as successful as it was without his participation. I was sorry to learn of this news, please extend condolences to his immediate friends and family. You wonder how much a player then would be worth in today's transfer market, he was at times, immense.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Without a doubt my all time favourite player to wear the Town shirt. Very very sad news. The word "legend" is bandied about very easily by fans but Beattie was a true legend and a total one-off. There will never be another, and if he hadn't been so cruelly dogged by injuries I really do believe he could have been the greatest ever English defender. RIP Kevin.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Can't believe it, just came in from work to hear the news.

RIP great man :cry:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

:cry: :cry: K Beattie what a player, I loved his guts and determination in defence and attack, RIP Kevin we will always love and admire you, my condolences to all your family, i know these last few years have been hard for you, but your spirit will live on at Portman Road, :roll: I do hope they put a statue of you along with Sir Alf & Sir Bobby, you were a warrior.

suffolkpunch

Post by suffolkpunch » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:26 am

Great memories of watching him play from a very young lad right through. First saw him play for the youth team (I think he came down from Carlisle) in the Mercia League on a Tuesday night. Mind you I can remember a lot of young lads starting in the same League, George Burley, Colin Viljoen, Derek Jefferson, Laurie Sivelle, John Wark, Alan Brazil, Eric Gates hey I could go on but this is about Kevin, I seem to recall he lived with A "Mum" on the Chantry Estate and in the summer months he played cricket on Chantry Park with a whole group of lads, I think we use to play about 20+ per side (he was hard to get out) but what a great personality, RIP Kevin, never forget you or they way you played.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:33 am

^ great post ^

Thanks for sharing that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Truly a big loss.

I really enjoyed watching him play, so strong and powerful. As others have said he had a sledgehammer shot and was great in the air - my best memories of him was the ball coming towards an opposing attacker in the air and Beat towering above him and powering a flat header (not upwards a la Chambers, Berra, et al) 20 or 30 yards to one of our midfielders.

Probably the best Town player I have ever seen (along with Trevor Whymark).

RIP Beat