Ipswich Town vs Brentford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

For 'The Beat' ?

Ipswich Win
40%
Brentford Win
30%
Draw
30%

Total votes: 10

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Brentford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:12 pm

ImageIpswich Town v BrentfordImage

Tuesday 18th September 2018 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

To Hull And Back

If ever there was a game I should miss it sounds like this was it. For the first time this season it would appear we got exactly what we deserved, nothing. Having read reports and opinions from friends & posters on here it is clear that was by far the worst we have been all season, in every other game before Saturday the optimists like myself could make a case for feeling a tad hard done by, whether it be a Red Card, a dubious free kick, a individual error or whatever, the feeling was we weren't getting what the performances merited, unfortunately there can be no excuses this time, it was dire !

The defending for both goals looked laughable, first Flynn Downes is caught dwelling on the ball and quite what Matt Pennington was doing on the goal line god only knows but even allowing for Downes howler that should have been booted clear, why oh why try to manoeuvre yourself so as to clear it with your natural foot ? Is the guy so One footed for god sake! If that wasn't bad enough Jordan Spence's feeble effort was just unacceptable, he literally stopped and appeared to try and body check the striker, woeful doesn't come close. From what I have heard we failed to really create much at all and our goal threat was pretty much non existent. Yes everyone has days like this but when you are at the foot of the table you cannot afford too many of these days.

Chopping & Changing

The general consensus of opinion among Town fans right now is that Paul Hurst is making far too many changes to his starting line ups and this is one criticism I completely agree with. The early games saw us proving to be hard to break down, no team was opening us up, all goals conceded were coming from set pieces and defensive errors, I believe that was centred around a solid CB pairing and while we could do little about the Nsiala ban I do think we are more exposed without him there, I also think Skuse & Chalobah were working well, Skusey was actually looking better in the more advanced role with Chalobah the deep lying DM, we need to get back to that, Tayo Edun ran a couple of games and must be reinstated, as must Donacien who for me has every right to feel aggrieved at being sat in the stands, especially when he see's Spence perform the way he did Saturday at RB, Walters adds something to the attack and with Edwards on the right lets try Harrison again on the Left as we did at Sheff Wed where he had by far his best game. I am totally behind PH and believe it will turn soon, however I don't want to see him suddenly start panicking and changing it every week in his quest to find a winning formula, while it is understandable he must stay true to his original plan as we weren't that far away in several games.

This One's Easy !!

At a time when we are in dire need of a win we have been blessed with a nice easy game, this time it's the visit of Brentford FC, Sitting in Second place in the Championship table and according to many playing the best football of all Twenty Four teams, just what the doctor ordered, Three points in the bag !! The Bees have Fourteen points from the opening Seven games, they are scoring for fun and don't concede many, in Neil Maupay they have a striker on fire, currently he is scoring every 58 minutes and to date he has seven goals to his name. The one crumb of comfort is that while Brentford are pretty untouchable at home, their Four wins from Four bears this out, they are not the best travellers, Two draws and a defeat at Blackburn so far suggests they can be beaten. Realistically this looks like an away banker but we have to turn the tide sometime, law of averages and all that nonsense, so on a night that is bound to be highly emotional I think Town will at the very least avoid defeat, as always us fans have a massive part to play, the only way we will get out of this situation is to all stick together, anything else and we fail.

A Legend - My Hero

They say that in life you don't always appreciate or realise what you have until it's gone, that is never truer than for Town fans who grew up following our beloved club through the Seventies and early Eighties, we were blessed. Rubbing shoulders and beating some of the greats of European Football became the norm, taking for granted such stars as Wark, Mariner, Mills, Thijssen, Muhren etc etc etc, it was a fairytale that you just didn't truly understand, you thought winning trophies would become a way of life.

But one name stood out above all others, Kevin Beattie, The Beat, a colossus of a player, a player so powerful I have never seen the like since, he was known for heading a ball from outside the box harder than many could kick it, he was that strong. Beattie epitomised everything that was good about ITFC in those halycon days, ask any Town fan who was their favourite and most would say "The beat" of course, we hear the word legend all too often in this day and age but Beattie was that, and more, a true legend, without question the best player ITFC has ever had or ever will have, had he played today his value would have dwarfed most players in the modern game and would have been up there with the likes of Bale and co.

I had the privilege of meeting Kevin several times and he was just a down to earth lovable rogue who lived life to the full, he just loved football, I remember taking my young teenage son Thomas to Football training at Copleston school on Thursday evenings where a certain Johnny Wark would help train the lads and on several occasions the Beat would turn up, always willing to chat and tell some great tales, they were days you just couldn't buy.

I just want to say thank you Thomas Kevin Beattie for all the magical moments and unforgettable memories that will live with me forever, like so many others you were my all time favourite player and dare I say it, my footballing hero, we've lost one of the best and it will never quite be the same without you. RIP Beat......A True Legend.

The Opposition - Brentford

Founded on 10 October 1889, at the Oxford and Cambridge Hotel in Brentford where a meeting was held, between the members of the Brentford Rowing Club, to decide between association football or rugby union, to serve as a winter pursuit for the rowing club and its members. As a result of a vote, by 8 votes to 5, taken 6 days later, association football was successful as the sport to partake in.

The football club started out playing its home matches at the Clifden House Ground in Brentford, from November 1889 to March 1892.

In October 1892, Benn's Field in Little Ealing, was the club's new home. The football club decided to move nearer to Brentford and in December 1894 they moved to Shotter's and stayed there until April 1898. Due to high rent increases, the club were once again forced to move on, so in September 1898 the club moved to the Cross Roads Ground, in Little Ealing and this was used until April 1900.

As the club grew, Boston Park Cricket Ground, in York Road, Brentford was then used from September 1900 to April 1904. Finally, in January 1904, the club agreed a 21-year lease on an orchard. The clearance of the orchard, over 200 trees, and the levelling of the land took several months. Griffin Park, as it became known was now ready for use as a football ground after banking was raised along three sides of the ground and an enclosure, moved from their previous ground, was erected.

In 1920, it was a founder member of the Third Division South. During the late 1920s and 1930s, the club began to make real progress. In the 1929–30 season, the side won all 21 of its home matches in the Third Division South, but still missed out on promotion. They are the last of six teams in English football to amass a perfect home record, and the only one to do so over a season of 42 matches or more. After several more near-misses, promotion to the Second Division was finally achieved in 1932–33.

Two years later, Brentford reached the First Division and finished 5th in its debut season which is still the club's highest ever league.

The club was relegated in the first season after the War, and a downward spiral set in, which culminated in relegation to the Third Division in 1953–54 and the Fourth Division in 1961–62. In the process Brentford became the first team to play the other ninety-one clubs in league football.

The survival of Brentford FC was threatened by a projected takeover by Queens Park Rangers in the late 1960s, a bid that was only narrowly averted with an emergency loan of £104,000.

The club continued to yo-yo between the third and fourth divisions during the next three decades. The club won promotion in 1962–63, 1971–72 and 1977–78 but only on the final occasion was it able to consolidate its place in English football's third tier.

After a 45-year absence, Brentford were promoted back to the Second Division (renamed the First Division with the advent of the Premier League in 1992) in the 1991–92 season as Third Division champions, though they were relegated again the following year.

There followed several seasons of the club narrowly missing out on promotionvia the play-offs.

The club were then relegated to the Third Division (by then the bottom division of the Football League) the following year. Brentford won promotion as champions again in 1998–99.

Former BBC Director-General and Bees fan Greg Dyke was announced as chairman of Brentford on 20 January 2006 as part of the takeover by Bees United, the Brentford Supporters Trust.

Brentford were relegated to Football League Two in April 2007.

On 25 April 2009 Brentford sealed the League Two championship under Management of former player Andy Scott.
Scott's excellent first calendar year in charge was recognised with an award, the BBC London 'Manager of the Year 2008'. Scott was also awarded the League Two Manager of the Month award for April/May 2009.

At the end of the 2011/12 season, in which the Club finished 9th in League One missing out on the play-offs by 6 points, the club's supporters voted to sell the entire club's shareholding to supporter-investor Matthew Benham.

The 2012–13 season saw Brentford go on an FA Cup run, taking holders Chelsea to a fourth round replay, and mount a promotion challenge, missing out on automatic promotion on the final day of the season before losing the playoff final to Yeovil Town.

On the 25 June 2013, Cliff Crown was elected Chairman Of Brentford Football Club.

18 April 2014 Brentford were promoted to the Championship after they beat Preston 1–0 at Griffin Park in front of 10,774 people sparking a pitch invasion. This meant The Bees' return to second tier after a 21 year absence.

In the 2014/15 season they impressed and finished in one place ahead of Town on the final table in 5th, before being knocked out in the playoff semi finals by Middlesbrough.

They didn’t achieve the same heights of the 2014/15, finishing in 9th place on the table in 15/16 and 10th place in the 16/17season.

Last season the Bee’s finished in 9th place with 69 points.

The Manager – Dean Smith

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

[youtube] [/youtube]

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 24th place with 3 points

18 Aug Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Aston Villa

21 Aug Derby County 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

25 Aug Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

2 Sep Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Norwich City

15 Sep Hull City 2 - 0 Ipswich Town

Brentford Last 5 Matches – Currently in 2nd place with 14 points

19 Aug Brentford 2 - 0 Sheffield Wed

22 Aug Aston Villa 2 - 2 Brentford

25 Aug Blackburn 1 - 0 Brentford

1 Sep Brentford 2 - 1 Nottm Forest

15 Sep Brentford 2 - 0 Wigan Athletic

Match Referee – Darren Bond

IPSWICH TOWN 1 BRENTFORD 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Brentford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Will read this tomorrow, but “TO HULL AND BACK!” ——-> Love it! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 pm

As much as I’d like to see us win this game I can’t see it happening, although I see no reason why we shouldn’t be capable of picking up a draw and a share of the points.

Prediction 1-1

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:13 am

Brentford's away form has to give us some hope here. We must start racking up points soon because October fixtures look daunting.

Let's hope we kick start the season here. A win is possible, a draw is more likely.

ITFC 1 Brentford 1

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:43 am

Good or bad runs are often ended in unexpected fashion. This game needs to be one of those occasions. Brentford have made a good start but have fixtures been kind to them? They can certainly be beaten on the road.

There have been a lot of chopping and changing lately and it does look as if hurst is trying to find a spark from somewhere. The issue can be argued both ways. First it could undermine players confidence. On the other hand what about those waiting in the wings watching on, they are thinking what do I need to do to get a game. So when given the chance they should perform.

The concern for me is Hurst is use to success and has not really experienced too many tough times such as he faces now. Let's hope he can come through this because otherwise the experience he is gaining will benefit another club down the line. That does not mean I think he should be sacked I hope he is given time by the ME and the fans.

The fans are key for me, if the crowd stay as it has been so far then the team has every chance of turning this around. Ultimately though, every situation has its tipping point.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am

The Beat used to say lets listen to proper music...Lets see some Proper football tonight...COYB do it for THE BEAT...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am
The Beat used to say lets listen to proper music...Lets see some Proper football tonight...COYB do it for THE BEAT...
There wouldn't be a more fitting tribute BB, lets hope and pray it can happen.

A big night for the fans too with a big part to play in creating at atmosphere to intimidate, if only, come on fans do it for The Beat.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 pm

A win has got to come to sooner or later, why not tonight's game. Would be an honor to Beattie for the team to once put their collective merits together and show the league placing is unjust. Expect a vociferous home crowd and under the lights the opportunity is there to take the victory with some enterprising play and industry. It could be a 2 - 0 win, maybe they'll get one for themselves, but people are going to be motivated in light of recent events.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Regrettably, Brentford 2 ITFC 1

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:30 pm

I am afraid we will lose 2 - 0. When you get into this pattern it is hard to shake it off especially if you concede first.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:34 pm

I need to be quarter pint full and go for a 2-0 win.

Go Town and feel The Beat.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 pm

My first game of the Season. Hopefully i will bring good luck.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Judging from the line-up it was Walters who was the secret mystery injury news :(

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Any news on the starting 11 yet?

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:28 pm

Lot of changes again tonight. Too many in my opinion although I agree with a couple. I would have dropped Spence from team completely.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:28 pm
Lot of changes again tonight. Too many in my opinion although I agree with a couple. I would have dropped Spence from team completely.
Yep, just seen it myself. Spence was awful against hull but keeps his place. Ward starts as does harrison and jackson. Edun on thw bench again :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Lot of changes again tonight.....
This could be the night he stumbles on it! Fingers crossed.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:32 pm
charlton837 wrote:
Lot of changes again tonight.....
This could be the night he stumbles on it! Fingers crossed.
Would love it to be marko but that line up does not do it for me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:44 pm

No idea what Spence has to do to get dropped.

Think Edwards has been unlucky to get the chop. Walters sounds like hes injured.

COYB... Hursty’s Pick n Mix Blues.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Let me get this right....... Edwards is fit, but on the bench?

Why, Paul?

Pressure now on dude. I think you BETTER get that win tonight.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 pm

10 minutes in and town cant string 3 passes together

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 pm

Any idea what formation town are pl aying? Got players all over, no shape whatsoever

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Embarrasing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:23 pm

*sigh* unreal

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 pm

All I keep hearing from the commentators is the word 'Terrible'...

Hope we can change things in the 2nd half.

:(

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Earl Blue wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 pm
All I keep hearing from the commentators is the word 'Terrible'...

Hope we can change things in the 2nd half.

:(
Unless hurst brings on edwars, edun and downes i think we are in tge sh*te.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Not sure why Ward and Spence are in the team.

Brentford seem to know exactly what there’re doing while we struggle to put a pass together.

Please can the second half be better.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:46 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 pm
Not sure why Ward and Spence are in the team.

Brentford seem to know exactly what there’re doing while we struggle to put a pass together.

Please can the second half be better.
Cant be any worse!! :lol:

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 pm
Any idea what formation town are pl aying? Got players all over, no shape whatsoever
5-3-2, although with the criticism of how deep both Chalobah and Skuse are sitting sounds more like 5-2-1-2....which is a bit new!!

No over lapping, Spence and Danocien get 2/3's up the pitch then get nose bleeds that high up :? :?

Truly dire to watch thus far. Wasteful in possession, missed passes and dis-organised on defense. Brentford should be ahead by more.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:49 pm

What is Ward doing in the forward midfield role...he's a winger isn't he, not a natural role, surely this is why we bought Nolan?!?!?!