Ipswich Town vs Brentford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

For 'The Beat' ?

Ipswich Win
40%
Brentford Win
30%
Draw
30%

Total votes: 10

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Ipswich Town vs Brentford FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: wtf. Chalobahs shots didnt even go iut for a goal kick!

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 pm

This is morw like it. Come on town

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm

Came in late and just caught up with the first half and about to catch up with the second but what the f*ck is going on ?

Nolan playing, Edwards not ?..... no Jon Walters .... loads more changes and more dross. f*ck all possession, loads of unforced errors and plenty of giving the ball away!

Can it get much worse, we definitely need a few changes and a better second half.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:03 pm
Came in late and just caught up with the first half and about to catch up with the second but what the f*ck is going on ?

Nolan playing, Edwards not ?..... no Jon Walters .... loads more changes and more dross. f*ck all possession, loads of unforced errors and plenty of giving the ball away!

Can it get much worse, we definitely need a few changes and a better second half.
Edwards and nolan on at half time for spence and harrison

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Great save gerks

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 pm

Caught up to real time and Town looking much better with Edwards on, I wonder why he didn’t start.

If only we could stop giving the ball away I think we could get back in this game.

Not given up hope yet.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 pm

What a fantastic headed goal, well worth the frustration so far.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:20 pm

GET IN!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:21 pm

THATS IT!!!!

Now get the win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:23 pm

Now go and win it for The Beat.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:26 pm

Boom!!! Good lad Jackson

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:31 pm

All subs on, Edun no game

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Sounds like they're getting a hell of a reception after the game. I think the fans are happy that the football is more attractive even if the results aren't yet.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Caught the second half and pleasantly surprised by the performance. Gergen kept us in it with a couple of good saves, but we played some great stuff and were unlucky not to nick the match.
Keep going lads and the win will come

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:45 pm
Sounds like they're getting a hell of a reception after the game. I think the fans are happy that the football is more attractive even if the results aren't yet.
That was not attractive ricco!! It was poor. First half , well i have no words, i really dont. Had a good spell for 15 mins at start of second half then passing got sloppy again. Reverted to hoofing it over the top for a brentford goalkick. Hurst has got to now pick his best 11, keep with them for a few games, mistakes and all, and get some understanding in the team. At times tonight it was like watching playground football, no shape to the team, all being drawn to the ball. Imo spence should not even make the bench anymore, his first half body language was dire. Also this 1 up top is doing us no favours, maybe if we had a proven striker but we dont. Yes im glad of a point against a goid brentford side but overall im getting frustrated with hurst, as i believe he has players who can do a good job but his team selections stink at times.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

I at this stage will gladly accept a point against a very good Brentford side. I hoped we could win this one, for the beat and my mum who passed away last Tuesday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Aw man, sorry to hear that PBB. Condolences to you and your family, buddy. :(

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 pm

phily bon bon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm
I at this stage will gladly accept a point against a very good Brentford side. I hoped we could win this one, for the beat and my mum who passed away last Tuesday.

Sorry they didn’t do it for you Phily, and even more sorry to learn of the loss of your mum, please accept my sincere condolences.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:11 pm

Glad Jackson got of the mark... pity he couldn’t convert that late chance.

Much better second half and we’re much better taking the game to the opposition. Brentford are a far better team than us... but we could even have sneaked it against a really decent footballing side. Terrible first half... don’t think we did ourselves any favours with the team formation / selection.

Ward was awful in the middle in the first half ... but looked far better out wide. Nolan added something when he came on .. so here’s hoping he kicks on.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm
Ricco wrote:
That was not attractive ricco!! It was poor. First half , well i have no words, i really dont. Had a good spell for 15 mins at start of second half then passing got sloppy again. Reverted to hoofing it over the top for a brentford goalkick. Hurst has got to now pick his best 11, keep with them for a few games, mistakes and all, and get some understanding in the team. At times tonight it was like watching playground football, no shape to the team, all being drawn to the ball. Imo spence should not even make the bench anymore, his first half body language was dire. Also this 1 up top is doing us no favours, maybe if we had a proven striker but we dont. Yes im glad of a point against a goid brentford side but overall im getting frustrated with hurst, as i believe he has players who can do a good job but his team selections stink at times.
Agree plenty of energy for the second half and a well taken goal, but still a lot of hoofing and no real quality on the ball. Funny how we have all mentioned about new players yet the worst player on the pitch was Spence who has championship experience.
Looks to me as if he is still to find his ideal starting 11, I would like to see an unchanged side for once (not tonights one)

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 pm
phily bon bon wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Sorry they didn’t do it for you Phily, and even more sorry to learn of the loss of your mum, please accept my sincere condolences.
The same here, puts things in to perspective when we are all upset over a game of football

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Definitely a better and more entertaining second half and a great goal from Jackson, just a shame he couldn’t have been more composed when his chance to win the game came on 90mins.

Overall I thought we were pretty poor and created many of our own problems, gave the ball away far too much, too few passes completed and too many unforced errors, overall disappointing. I’m not sure how many times their GK was called into action but it can’t have been many and for long periods we played like we were the visitors.

I know a lot of you guys are excited by the better football but I don’t really see it and think it’s more about wishful thinking than fact. We knocked McCarthy for his hoof ball, but how many times tonight did we thump long hopeful balls upfield that simply ran out for a goal kick and conceded possession.

We can only hope for something better on Saturday when Bolton Wanderers come to town, we said we needed four points from two home games, three on Saturday and we’ll be on track. One thing for sure if it’s going to happen Gwion Edwards will need to be in the starting line up and hopefully Jon Walters too.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
That was not attractive ricco!! It was poor.
Oh... I only managed to listen to a bit, must have been all the good bits!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:12 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Ricco wrote:
Agree plenty of energy for the second half and a well taken goal, but still a lot of hoofing and no real quality on the ball. Funny how we have all mentioned about new players yet the worst player on the pitch was Spence who has championship experience.
Looks to me as if he is still to find his ideal starting 11, I would like to see an unchanged side for once (not tonights one)

Spence definitely has Championship experience but I’d hardly describe him as an experienced Championship defender, far from it. I don’t know how many Championship games he’s played but I’d guess it would be less than 100 with many of them being sub appearances. Not really much to shout about for a 28yr old.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:57 pm

Talk about the proverbial game of Two halves, I think the opening half was about as bad as it gets, for me Hurst got the line up, tactics and formation completely wrong, I don't think anyone, myself included could tell quite what formation we went with, the reports say 3-5-2 but bloody hell we were all over the place, nobody seemed to know where they should be playing, I was so disappointed to see a line up including Spence & Ward in it, I was also bemused at Donacien being recalled to play on the left !!! Another Square peg in a Round hole.

Brentford pretty much dominated the entire opening Forty Five as we struggled to string passes together, Spence & Knudsen were all over the place with Spence in particular a disagrace, Jackson was looking disinterested at the lack of service, Harrison failed to get in to the game at all, the same applied to Ward, Pennignton had a shaky opening few minutes but grew into the half the longer it went on, Chalobah still can't pass p*ss so it was left to Chambo & Skuse to stand firm, along with Gerken they were the bright spots of a poor half. It was so annoying that we had Three chances to clear up passages of play prior to their goal and while the Bees played some good stuff we once again give them a helping hand. It really was a woeful first half.

Not sure if they got the hairdryer treatment but the second half was a much improved performance and gives hope going forward, Edwards & Nolan being introduced to a more familiar 4-2-3-1 made a big difference and it was the Town who had the better of the half. Jackson suddenly looked like a player, showing us a first glimpse of the power and pace we are led to believe he has, Nolan was actually a positive influence for once while Edwards began to run at them and cause problems. We still looked like getting caught out at the back at times but pennington was having a super second half alongside a mainly solid Chambers. We were so unlucky with the overhead from Jackson that hit the bar before it was cleared away from just in front of the line.

Despite playing much better and being on top we still had Gerken to thank for Two good saves while they too crashed one off the bar. Our goal when it did come was a lovely header across their keeper from Jackson following a good ball in by Chalobah and it was no more than we deserved for our second half efforts. What pleased me was that despite the fact we started to go more direct we were at least going for it and causing their defence problems. Jackson came so close to snatching the win right at the death and probably should have done better but it was not to be, more composure needed but he impressed me tonite after a poor start.

Brentford are clearly a better footballing side than us but I was pleased with how we responded against one of the top teams, it is a point I would have taken prior to the game and one that looked a Million miles away at HT so all in all I am happy with, provided we beat Bolton Saturday and get something at Birmingham too. I do not like this 3-5-2, it just didnt work at all, we were a shambles, it also doesnt allow for Gwion Edwards to play in that set up and he needs to play. At least we remain unbeaten at home which is a positive although I doubt many will be feeling positive until we get that first win.

Gerken (7) Spence (4) Chambers (6) Pennington (7) Knudsen (6) Donacien (6) Chalobah (6) Ward (6) Skuse (6) Harrison (4) Jackson (7)

SUBS :- Nolan (6) Edwrads (7) Downes (6)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 pm

As always Mike thanks for the report. If we’re going to start winning the front boys are going to need a lot better service from midfield than they got tonight or goals are going to be hard to come by and very reliant on set pieces.

Bolton on Saturday won’t be easy followed by Birmingham away who are the only other team in the Championship without a win so far. For everyone’s sake I hope there’s four points to be had from these two games.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Hurst has come out and said what he tried first half did not work. Good to Jackson on the score sheet. Hopefully that will put a spring in his step. The radio reports said he looked sharper after his goal. Sill undefeated at fortress Portman road! :D

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:01 am

Dreadful first half, better second half. A draw is a decent result against a good side.

I think a win next time out is essential. If we can get one under our belt it may give a confidence boost before a tough October schedule. Anything less is a worry.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:20 am

Perhaps some would have taken the score before game time. Pessimists will see the negatives, optimists will list the potential opportunities. Says the first half was a mess on our part but fought back in the second period to take something from it. Could have won it late on if reports are accurate but maybe that would have been hard on the opposition / somewhat undeserved for the home team based on all facts and figures.

Brentford obviously possess an impressive set-up where they're at and something to be admired. Would imagine the traveling support may have been satisfied with the end score given our resurgence after the interval. It's disappointing to remain without a victory some distance into a new season but as always there were certain positives to take from the event. People may quite rightly point out the first forty-five was something of a concern.

Philly Bon Bon I was sorry to learn of your bereavement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:58 am

Just seen that, my condolences to you and your loved ones PhilyBonBon for your sad loss