Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

First Win Of The Season?

Ipswich Win
57%
Bolton Win
14%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

Dubai Blue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 pm

How far away is Huws from full fitness?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 pm

No one knows.

Hurst reckons it’s one step forward, two steps back. Hasn’t played in the last two u-23’s games. Wouldn’t rely on him to get fit soon.
Dozzell looks the best bet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Huws and Bishop have both had further set backs. Forget ever seeing them.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:24 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:30 pm
Hi everyone, town fan here who’s been reading these boards with interest for a while but not able to get to many games. Like most, I shared the view that the MM era had to end and welcomed a new dawn. And like most now, I’m worried that we look perhaps like we’re facing a season that at best will turn out to be a grim relegation battle.

From reading Mike’s excellent reports it seems the main issue is where the goals are coming from. The defence is solid enough and midfield is at least holding its own in most games. Kayden Jackson seems to have potential and maybe Harrison too but it seems they need another striker to play off up front. The question is, are there any serious contenders at the club now? Walters might be the answer - but he looks like he could be a McGoldrick injury wise. Sears simply doesn’t cut it, right?

Hurst seems to be pinning his hopes on Nolan and Edwards breaking through from midfield but from all accounts that simply ain’t happening.

Are there other options I haven’t mentioned? Or are we basically relying on Walters to get fit or we’ll be drawing home games and losing away?
Welcome along Johnny

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks all for the welcome! :D

I too like the idea of a back four - Donacien, Chambo, Nsiala, Knudsen in front of Gerks (leaving us Bart and Pennington in reserve which is actually pretty solid).

Four across the mid - Edwards, Skuse, Edun and Another (Chalobah is too defensive a partner for Skuse; Nolan and Ward too ineffectual)

The difficult bit is creating creativity from the central mid and a striking partnership with understanding from the current squad. Playing Edun ‘in the hole’ if we really can’t have Dozzell seems a good idea. I’m guessing Hurst saw Nolan in that role but he has to acknowledge it’s not really happening.

As a potential partnership, I’m getting the feeling Jackson and Harrison might be similar in style but whether that’s the case or not for sure neither will find the net on a regular basis without a decent diet of quality balls from midfield.

Anyway I guess there are at least some half decent ideas at Hurst’s disposal. Let’s hope it comes together soon - a consolidating season would be ok. And if we’re not doomed by January maybe ME can open that fat wallet of his and finance a striker with guile and experience and/or a creative midfielder.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Good to see a bit of positivity, JohnnyB.

My optimism and confidence in Hurst is on the wane after the last 3 games.

He’s just got to start winning football games... and I struggle to see where we can score goals. Or how we can create chances.

We can pick on Jackson and Harrison, but those boys haven’t exactly been given much service.

For me, it’s that midfield player who can link play to the strikers. A pass from Downes on Tuedsday released Jackson for a great chance and yesterday from Ward which resulted in the sending off. That’s what we need, but so few and far between.

Need some spark in midfield. I’d give Edun a go in place of Nolan.... seems a bit desperate, but Edun should never have been dropped. I can see Dozzell suddenly become fit because Hurst must be feeling the pressure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:36 pm

Nolan and Ward are just not the answer, I fail to see why Edun was ever dropped tbh, he and Downes need to ve used more.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Huws and Bishop have both had further set backs. Forget ever seeing them.
I think you are rght Mike.

It's been a long time now and I would question the commitment of both of them. I think the wisdom of buying Huws with his injury history was questioned at the time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

It could have been a masterstroke Billy, alas I fear completely the opposite.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:29 pm

Apart from his very early days Bishop has been a complete disappointment, Huws I thought was a brilliant signing but again a disappointment which has been the case with so many of our signings and brings into question our due diligence within our recruitment process.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm

I really appreciate the time & effort and quality of your report Mike. If yesterday was a difficult day for you I fear there could be many more ahead as basically the team has no spine and lacks direction. I know a few of you guys really want Paul Hurst to be successful and nothing would please me more but it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

When I look back to this time last year we were scoring freely with players like Celina, Connolly, Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick all regular starters, and now we’ve replaced these players with the likes of Nolan, Chalobah, Harrison and Jackson etc who simply aren’t in the same league and it shows.

Our corresponding fixture with Bolton last September was a comfortable 2-0 win to Town, but only Chambers and Skuse were present in that team which makes me think “too much change”.

I really don’t know where we go from here but sadly I don’t feel any optimism whatsoever.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Thanks all for the welcome! :D

I too like the idea of a back four - Donacien, Chambo, Nsiala, Knudsen in front of Gerks (leaving us Bart and Pennington in reserve which is actually pretty solid).

Four across the mid - Edwards, Skuse, Edun and Another (Chalobah is too defensive a partner for Skuse; Nolan and Ward too ineffectual)

The difficult bit is creating creativity from the central mid and a striking partnership with understanding from the current squad. Playing Edun ‘in the hole’ if we really can’t have Dozzell seems a good idea. I’m guessing Hurst saw Nolan in that role but he has to acknowledge it’s not really happening.

As a potential partnership, I’m getting the feeling Jackson and Harrison might be similar in style but whether that’s the case or not for sure neither will find the net on a regular basis without a decent diet of quality balls from midfield.

Anyway I guess there are at least some half decent ideas at Hurst’s disposal. Let’s hope it comes together soon - a consolidating season would be ok. And if we’re not doomed by January maybe ME can open that fat wallet of his and finance a striker with guile and experience and/or a creative midfielder.
Welcome aboard buddy, thanks for joining and posting in our forum mate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm
I really appreciate the time & effort and quality of your report Mike. If yesterday was a difficult day for you I fear there could be many more ahead as basically the team has no spine and lacks direction. I know a few of you guys really want Paul Hurst to be successful and nothing would please me more but it just doesn’t look like it’s going to happen.

When I look back to this time last year we were scoring freely with players like Celina, Connolly, Waghorn, Garner and McGoldrick all regular starters, and now we’ve replaced these players with the likes of Nolan, Chalobah, Harrison and Jackson etc who simply aren’t in the same league and it shows.

Our corresponding fixture with Bolton last September was a comfortable 2-0 win to Town, but only Chambers and Skuse were present in that team which makes me think “too much change”.

I really don’t know where we go from here but sadly I don’t feel any optimism whatsoever.
No worries Andy, pleased some like reading them. I definitely want Hurst to succeed, I bigged him up enough, the first win will be massive for the team but it really needs to come soon while we are still in touch with a few sides, it is becoming a massive monkey on the players backs. I will be at Birmingham Saturday hoping and praying, unfortunately it is not a happy ground for me, lost every time ive been there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:01 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm

No worries Andy, pleased some like reading them. I definitely want Hurst to succeed, I bigged him up enough, the first win will be massive for the team but it really needs to come soon while we are still in touch with a few sides, it is becoming a massive monkey on the players backs. I will be at Birmingham Saturday hoping and praying, unfortunately it is not a happy ground for me, lost every time ive been there.
Maybe you should find a wedding to go to and give it a bloody miss :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:03 am

Lmfao

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:36 pm
Nolan and Ward are just not the answer, I fail to see why Edun was ever dropped tbh, he and Downes need to ve used more.
I don’t think Ward is the answer either.

Does the odd good thing.... then goes missing. For a young guy with 2-3 years of Championship football under his belt, he should be doing more.

I’m not sure about Downes in the same line up as Skuse. Both too similar. Nice ball the other night, but I’m not sure we looking for another defensive midfielder to make things click. I’ve always preferred Nydam to Downes TBH.
Edun looks lively and was trying to make things happen. He’s surely got to be given a chance. And a place on the bench for Dozzell. If he can be risked for 90 minutes in an under 23 game, he can be risked for 20 minutes in a senior game.
And I wish we could improve on set pieces. Graham whipped in a great free kick and the keeper pulled of a wonder save from Chambers flick on. Great free kick ... but so often we waste set pieces. That could have won us the game and papered over the cracks for another week. I’d be happy now for just a bit of crack papering-over.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:03 am

OK so im going to admit something now - I am beginning to get very concerned with what is happening. I always felt stick to what we were doing and once we get a result or two things will pick up, my biggest worry is that we are deviating away from what we were doing and we are looking even worse off for it. I really cant get my head round why Donacien keeps getting dropped, I get the number of loans thing but Donacien has been MOTM a couple of times this season and has hardly put a foot wrong, seems wrong to me to be using him like this.

Hurst is his own man and wants to do things his own way, rightly so, he has my full support in doing this. But over last few games it feels like hes questioning himself and just changing things to hope they fall in place. With this constant chopping and changing we wont get anywhere. Biggest worry is the players look completely devoid of any confidence whatsoever. Tactically the whole thing looks lost. I don't buy that the new players just aren't up to this standard as Nolan aside I think most of the others have looked capable, maybe Harrison has also struggled a bit.

We have to find a way through this and fast as if it goes on much longer we are going to be in a very perilous position, we are lucky some other teams have picked up hardly any points! Im not for sacking the manager yet, but I cant honestly say when I think would be best to call time on this project if it doesn't work. I just pray we get 3 points at Birmingham on Saturday but I cant really see It, we have lost all our away games.

No wins all season, lost all away games, scoring very few goals and not creating many chances, conceding silly goals at other end, its not a good mix, we need to turn that around sooner rather than later. We desperately need a win. I cant see Evans taking action for quite a while yet, it would be more likely Hurst would walk away IMO but lets hope it doesn't come to that, hes got a good record as a manager, this must be a very tough time. Hes made a lot of changes to the squad, some would say too much, any new manager would have to work with Hursts signings anyway

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I agree with much of that Charlton, the Donacien situation angers me, as you rightly say he has been one of the better newbies and needs to play. I still believe a win will do wonders for the players confidence and could Kickstart everything, the problem being October looks horrendous.

I also think Hurst now needs a settled side with preferably Two up front and Edun on the pitch, he was brave enough to drop Bart and needs to do the same with Nolan and Ward, much of our issues stem from tbese Two providing sod all service and not getting into the box. We actually don't look too bad at the back in the last couple of games.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 am

The Donacien selection or non-selection, was poor IMO.

I don’t think it would have made much difference to the Bolton result, but why change things ? If you get the defence nailed down then you can work on other areas. You then had a situation where Pennington had to re-adapt and he looked more of a CB playing there. Hurst was just inviting more unnecessary criticism, just to squeeze in all loanees. And Walters wasn’t even fit. So much for the modern fitness science which also says that Dozzell can’t compete at senior level.

The defence isn’t the one area we need to tweak. I could not understand when Donacien did come back... he put him at LWB!!! He’s played CB, RB and LWB. And was adjusting well at RB. Kenlock should have played LWB... round pegs, round holes.

He just needs to apply common sense and go back to basics.

I haven’t heard anything regarding Walters injury, but can see this being a lengthy one where maybe we won’t see Walters for a while or even again. Not good, but trying to be positive, could be a blessing in disguise. That would sort out the 5 loanees issue and might make Hurst’s thinking more clearer. Settle on a team and build from there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm

In my opinion we seem to have gone backwards since Hurst arrived and back to the dark days when we never knew where our goals were going to come from, which is a far cry from this time last year when we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Celina and Connolly all scoring goals for fun.

I'm not for one minute advocating that we should have kept McCarthy god forbid, but we shouldn't have replaced him with a manager who couldn't either hold onto these players or attract players of equal status. The reason I say this is because I'm pretty sure Waghorn and Garner would have stuck with Mick had he stayed at Portman Road, and I also believe he held a higher managerial status within the game which may have tipped the balance on occasions when clubs were looking to place a young talented loanee like Callum Connelly etc.

I've nothing against Pau Hurst but simply would have preferred a more experienced Manager running the show.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:09 pm
In my opinion we seem to have gone backwards since Hurst arrived and back to the dark days when we never knew where our goals were going to come from, which is a far cry from this time last year when we had Waghorn, Garner, McGoldrick, Celina and Connolly all scoring goals for fun.

I'm not for one minute advocating that we should have kept McCarthy god forbid, but we shouldn't have replaced him with a manager who couldn't either hold onto these players or attract players of equal status. The reason I say this is because I'm pretty sure Waghorn and Garner would have stuck with Mick had he stayed at Portman Road, and I also believe he held a higher managerial status within the game which may have tipped the balance on occasions when clubs were looking to place a young talented loanee like Callum Connelly etc.

I've nothing against Pau Hurst but simply would have preferred a more experienced Manager running the show.
I think Waghorn would have been off whoever was manager to be honest, even if it was Mick. You are right that at the beginning of last season we were scoring quite a few goals although famously that was with one of the (if not the) lowest chance rate in the division. Once those goals dried up even with Mick we were really struggling to get goals at times and we were creating very little. Difference is we were getting the odd 1-0, 2-1 sort of wins. We do need to create more chances whoever the manager is as if we only create 1 or 2 half chances a game we will struggle every week

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 pm

I don’t see how we could have held onto Waghorn. I think he was offered double his salary and at 28/29, it was no-brainer for him to leave. Mick or no Mick. Garner was a bit different. I do wonder if there was more than to it than personal/ geographical reasons and perhaps there was a clash with Hurst or Garner realised he wasn’t going to be guaranteed a place in the team.

Interesting that Connollys name crept up. He did score a few goals, but he was surprisingly brought in on deadline day to cover CB or RB. And then played as a defensive midfielder. I thought he did well for us, but I’d probably say Chalobah has more pedigree than Connolly, who no one had heard of when he signed for us. Connolly was very similar to Pennington... same source and emergency cover for CB.

As for Didsy.... I can’t remember anyone wanting to keep him. A year ago we had prolific scorers.. fast forward a few months and we had problems scoring at all. It really helped a lot to get those four wins under the belt at the start of the season last year.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Garner moved back north due to personal issues. He wouldn't have stayed whoever was boss

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I think Waghorn was really happy at Ipswich and very happy playing for McCarthy. My belief is it was only after McCarthy resigned that his agent made clubs aware of his availability hence all the interest shown. I think Garner was also happy at Ipswich and only became unsettled after MM’s resignation. In fact I think the fans in general underestimated how happy and content the players were with McCarthys management style, unfortunately his relationship with the players wasn’t mirrored in his relationship with the fans and hence we are where we are.

Sadly both players appear to spend more time on the bench than in the starting line up at their respective new clubs.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:10 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 pm
I think Waghorn was really happy at Ipswich and very happy playing for McCarthy. My belief is it was only after McCarthy resigned that his agent made clubs aware of his availability hence all the interest shown. I think Garner was also happy at Ipswich and only became unsettled after MM’s resignation. In fact I think the fans in general underestimated how happy and content the players were with McCarthys management style, unfortunately his relationship with the players wasn’t mirrored in his relationship with the fans and hence we are where we are.

Sadly both players appear to spend more time on the bench than in the starting line up at their respective new clubs.
This is something we will never know although we did sell some of our better players when Mick was in charge. I honestly don't think waghorn would have stayed whatever the situation but we will never find out for sure

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:50 am

I dont think for one minute he would have stayed either, the big offers would still have come in whoever was manager and he would without question still have left.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:35 am

It really confirms that when players decide to start spraffing wind & pish stories about moving families to certain areas etc etc ——> just tell them to STFU and get on with the football. No one is interested.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 am

Exactly Marko, it's all total sh*te