Birmingham City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Let's try again

Birmingham Win
55%
Ipswich Win
15%
Draw
30%

Total votes: 20

arana peligrosa

Re: Birmingham City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:33 am

Game highlights never present a full picture but there seemed to be a number of positives to take from today. Gerken first and foremost appeared to play well for the most part and was involved in some crucial stops, the team appeared hungry on occasion and showed a certain determination as the two goals world demonstrate. I think many would have taken a point before game time although the manner it which it occurred was a mite disappointing.

Hurst said after the game : ""A lot of feelings and incident in this game but, in the end, it's a first point away from home and we move a place up in the league."

Just the sort of thing McCarthy would amount to, almost verbatim in actual fact, guess you got to take what you can in the position you find yourself in the division. All said while it were frustrating to lose out after being two ahead at a certain stage at least there were signs of encouragement to take from it all. Maybe the anti-depressants are working to strange effect, (but) you have to realize we're still in a tricky situation and the winless streak is of course a concern that needs to be rectified in the immediate time ahead.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 am

And now Harrison is out injured for 2 months at least - leaving our attacking options to just Jackson and Sears.

Sports Science - another of PH's introductions that isn't working.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:10 am
And now Harrison is out injured for 2 months at least - leaving our attacking options to just Jackson and Sears.

Sports science doesn't stop you getting injuries. It's just a tool to monitor and give you the best chance. You surely can't blame him for Harrison injuring his ankle.

Feels like the wolves are gathering at the moment. Overreaction in my opinion. Am i happy right now? No. Am i wondering where our next win is coming from? Yes. The ironic thing is before the match most people were saying they would take a point and it wouldn't be a.bad result but because of the way the game developed suddenly the result is so bad that it's time to go in.to panic overload and start calling Hurst this and that.

Obviously losing a 2 goal lead is far from ideal and from that position we really should have tried to make ourselves solid and hold out but we didn't. Clearly we need a win from somewhere, I don't fancy us in the next 2 games to be honest however you just never know in this league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:55 am

So the wait for a win goes on, Ten games and counting, for a time it looked like yesterday was going to be the day we finally bagged a Three point haul, a Two goal lead at half time is not a luxury we are afforded too often after all, but it was not to be, in a way we were once again our own worst enemies as we somehow managed to grab a draw from the clutches of victory although in the end we can be thankful we walked away with a point as it could so easily have ended even worse.

It was actually refreshing to see a team line up with no changes to it, even if that did mean Tayo Edun was again only on the bench, a place among the subs also surprisingly given to Andre Dozzell, or maybe not so surprising if what we were told before the game has any foundation to it, more on that later. The game kicked off in lovely sunshine and for the opening ten minutes you had to wonder if the Town players were sunbathing as we really struggled to get into the game at all, encamped almost entirely in our half and around our box we just could not get our foot on the ball, we were failing to clear our lines, hesitancy all around and had not made a single pass as the game hit the Ten minute mark. As early as the Fifth minute we had a real scare and were thankful that Gerken was the one Town player switched on as he made a very good double save, first from Jutkiewicz and then the follow up from someone else, I know not who but it was good goalkeeping, still though the danger wasn't cleared and gardener curled in a shot that looked goal bound but thankfully it hit the post and bounced away to safety, a real let off for the slow starting Town.

Thankfully Town began to settle and push forward, a couple of chances were well wide but it was a sign of intent and we were now getting forward into some decent positions. Our left side was looking very vulnerable with Knudsen & Ward often under pressure and looking fragile as Brum seemed to know this and much of their offensive play was coming down that side, it was quite the opposite down our Right though with Edwards & Pennington having some success and looking dangerous. Midway through the half we got ourselves ahead and it was down the right that Town strung a really good move together. The very impressive Pennington brought the ball forward before releasing a good pass which sent Jackson away into space, the striker brought the ball inside before teeing up Jon Nolan who whipped in a wonderful strike which found the top corner leaving their keeper stranded, euphoria in the Town end as the surge almost took us of our feet, it had come against the run of play but was at a time where Town were starting to get into the game and peg them back.

With half time approaching we had a real let off as Jonas Knudsen was forced to hack one off the line, it was good defending by the Dane and he had got his positioning spot on. Incredibly a couple of minutes later Town did the unthinkable and doubled our lead. For a change Grant Ward got the delivery spot on and there was Matt Pennington in space to ram the ball home from close range, the celebrations were equally as intense as the first time as we struggled to comprehend what was happening. The half came to a close with no further goalmouth action and with Town in a commanding position, having had to ride out an early storm we had got ourselves on top and certainly for Twenty minutes were the better side. Chalobah had really stood out for me while Pennington, Gerken, Nsiala and Jackson had also put in some tidy work.

The second half began with Town so close to a Third, Nolan's free kick just clearing the frame of the goal by inches but it was just the start we needed. It was so disappointing however that almost immediately Town gift them a goal and straight away it is a completely different game, hesitancy from Nolan in a dangerous area sees him lose the ball and Jutkiewicz is sent through to find the net, Nolan's error was the crucial one but in fairness there were also a couple more from Town in the lead up to the ball finding it's way to him, chances to clear that we fail to execute and as always are punished, it really was now game on.

It was pleasing to see that Town tried to respond in the right way, another good pass from Chalobah found Ward in the box and right in front of goal but while his control was good in bringing the ball down the shot lacked anything on it and the chance was gone. Still Town tried to get forward looking for that killer Third goal but all too often the final pass or cross was not there and the good approach play was wasted. Birmingham were starting to come on strong the longer the half went on and we had Gerken to thank with a fine save, Adams strong shot being pushed away by the keepers outstretched arm, then from the corner the ball is played in only to come off Town's crossbar and away. it was a wake up call and the warning signs were there.

Unfortunately the warnings were not heeded and Birmingham got the equaliser that had been coming, Gerken had been the saviour two or Three times but this time his attempt at a punch only sent the ball looping into the air and what followed was a scramble with Town blocking it on the line and players throwing themselves at the ball, typically it falls to Jutkiewicz who again buries his shot into the Town net, agony for Town who had now seen a Two goal lead wiped out. It was going to be a long final Thirteen minutes for the boys in Orange as Birmingham had their tails very much up now. Despite lots af pressure from Birmingham chances were rare although one shot from distance had Gerken well beaten but it sailed just wide of the far post. Town had been using Jackson's pace as an outlet all game and it came oh so close to winning the game for Town in the dying minutes, a long ball into the channel saw the striker away and his control and cross saw the ball just an inch or two behind the onrushing sears who really could not have been any closer to tapping home the winner, it was a n incredible chance that just would not go our way.

For the Third time in a matter of weeks we are reduced to ten men, this time Matt Pennington getting his marching orders for a second yellow card, thankfully time was nearly up and it did not penalise us too much. Typically with town there is still one final scare and we were so close to losing the vital point but somehow Dean Gerken got his body in the right place to deny Jutkiewicz his hat trick, it was an incredible instinctive block that saw Town cling on for the point.

Failing to win from a Two goal lead is always going to be viewed as points dropped in my book, we had them on the ropes and again failed to see it out, carelessness cost us once more with individual errors responsible for both Birmingham goals. Many expected defeat yesterday and so in that sense it is better than we might have expected, it is the first time I have ever seen us pick up so much as a point at St. Andrews so again that is something. Clearly some are not happy at throwing it away but that is their right, the travelling support were disappointed yes but very supportive of Hurst and the players at the final whistle, they put in 100% and the body language pleased me as I wanted to see for myself how the squad is given all the rumours, I have less concerns on that score after the game. however, talking to people before the game it was told to me that certain players are far from happy with certain things, the skipper being one of them, more worrying than that is the apparent rift between Jason & Andre Dozzell and Paul Hurst, the word is that a transfer request will be going into the club in January due to the poor treatment and use of Andre, make of it what you will and frankly who knows ? But how strange it was to suddenly see him on the bench again after everything that had been said by PH, time will tell I guess.

Gerken (8) super game from the keeper, Three top class saves at crucial times, knows he could have done better with their second but won us a point.

Pennington (7) Super first half from the loanee, helped make one and scored one, solid defending for the most part, spoilt it with the Red card.

Chambers (6) Always gives his all and is as brave as they come, not his best day but not at fault for goals.

Nsiala (7) Again a very good first half and won most of what came his way, very good in the air and was calm under pressure.

knudsen (6) One excellent piece of defending saved a goal but goes awol from his LB spot and seemed to think we were in Blue with poor passing.

Skuse (5) Been in good form in recent weeks but failed to control the Midfield yesterday, game passed him by for long spells.

Nolan (6) A super strike for hi goal but then a key error in gifting them one back, not his worst game but still to convince me.

Ward (5) A good cross for our second and made One or Two decent runs into their box but is it enough ? Would much prefer Edun starting.

Edwards (6) Always looks a threat when on the ball although found it tough against their LB at times. A couple of dangerous runs and tracked back well.

Chalobah (7) His best game so far for me, solid in the tackle and some great 40 yard raking cross field passes, turned on the style during the first half, faded a little after the break.

Jackson (7) A very good game from kayden, works his nuts off and runs and chases everything, set up the first and was so close to teeing up Sears for the winner, getting better by the game.

October is looking daunting but there has been so many times we have said that and it turns out to be a good month so let's see. There were positives yesterday and of course negatives but I am feeling a tad more optimistic than I was after Bolton last week, what we lack in quality we try to make up for in sheer endeavour, we are still very much in touch but that first bloody win still eludes us. This team went to Leeds and turned them over, they failed to do that to us, all is not doom and gloom. COYB'S

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:26 am

charlton837 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am
rossi wrote:

Sports science doesn't stop you getting injuries. It's just a tool to monitor and give you the best chance. You surely can't blame him for Harrison injuring his ankle.

Feels like the wolves are gathering at the moment. Overreaction in my opinion. Am i happy right now? No. Am i wondering where our next win is coming from? Yes. The ironic thing is before the match most people were saying they would take a point and it wouldn't be a.bad result but because of the way the game developed suddenly the result is so bad that it's time to go in.to panic overload and start calling Hurst this and that.

Obviously losing a 2 goal lead is far from ideal and from that position we really should have tried to make ourselves solid and hold out but we didn't. Clearly we need a win from somewhere, I don't fancy us in the next 2 games to be honest however you just never know in this league.
What I am saying is that when PH came here he made some snidey remarks about the number of injuries during the previous regime, and intimated that his way of doing things would see far less injuries. Really?

And as for over-reaction, I don't think so. I never wanted PH here in the first place, and as far as I'm concerned my opinions on him being the right man for the job (or not) are proving to be more right at the moment than those who were banging on about how good he is. I'd love to be proved wrong, but right now I'm not, so hardly an over-reaction.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:41 am

charlton837 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 am
rossi wrote:

Great post Charlton and very grounded opinions. I would say it sums up my feelings perfectly too.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks for the fantastic report as always Mike.

They really matter for those of us who can't attend the matches.

Cheers Dave

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:08 am

It’s easy to stick the boot in at the moment.

If you just analyse the game in isolation..... a 2-2 away draw against a club who are in reasonable form isn’t so bad. Most people were predicting a loss here.

To even things up a bit... first away point and first game we’ve scored two goals. Bit embarrassing to mention those modest stats.... but it’s better than getting hammered. Oh... and 3 games unbeaten. :)

Good to see a reasoned, balanced response from Charlton. And, once again, a very good report from Mike which summed up the game well.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:23 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:40 am
.....even when it does manage to nick a couple, freezes at the prospect of a win......
Will read Mike’s report after granddaughters birthday party today........ but I believe you’ve hit the nail on the head with that Massey. That phenomenon is definitely a “thing” and could be happening with the majority of these League One level players....... and manager.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:40 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:23 am
MasseyFerguson wrote:
.....even when it does manage to nick a couple, freezes at the prospect of a win......
Will read Mike’s report after granddaughters birthday party today........ but I believe you’ve hit the nail on the head with that Massey. That phenomenon is definitely a “thing” and could be happening with the majority of these League One level players....... and manager.
Perspective here.... there was only 4 lower league players on the field yesterday. I thought experienced players like Knudsen - apart from the brilliant goal line clearance - and Skuse were poor. I’d say Nsiala, Edwards, Jackson and even Nolan, with the goal, did well. I’d also disagree slightly with Mike that Chambo was at some level to blame for the first goal... he seemed to be squared up and lost his runner, who too easily found space and scored. It’s too easy to focus on where these players come from when you’re looking for an excuse. Knudsen is an international footballer who played at the World Cup yet kept on giving the ball away..... nothing to do with inexperience.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:47 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:40 am
marko69 wrote:
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Perspective here.... there was only 4 lower league players on the field yesterday. I thought experienced players like Knudsen - apart from the brilliant goal line clearance - and Skuse were poor. I’d say Nsiala, Edwards, Jackson and even Nolan, with the goal, did well. I’d also disagree slightly with Mike that Chambo was at some level to blame for the first goal... he seemed to be squared up and lost his runner, who too easily found space and scored. It’s too easy to focus on where these players come from when you’re looking for an excuse. Knudsen is an international footballer who played at the World Cup yet kept on giving the ball away..... nothing to do with inexperience.
so what you're saying is it's not down to the players.

Fine, who is it down to then, the manager?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:08 am

If you just analyse the game in isolation..... a 2-2 away draw against a club who are in reasonable form isn’t so bad. Most people were predicting a loss here.

To even things up a bit... first away point and first game we’ve scored two goals. Bit embarrassing to mention those modest stats.... but it’s better than getting hammered. Oh... and 3 games unbeaten. :)

Good to see a reasoned, balanced response from Charlton. And, once again, a very good report from Mike which summed up the game well.
errmmmm - I was sure that when I saw the Blackburn game we scored twice, but maybe I'm wrong

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am

Yeah, I did say League One level players and I shouldn’t have....... because the point was about the “freezing at the thought of a win” thing that definitely does happen. Shouldn’t have mentioned the players level. Point missed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:00 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:50 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:08 am

errmmmm - I was sure that when I saw the Blackburn game we scored twice, but maybe I'm wrong
:) you’re definately right. Forgot Edwards early goal.

What I meant was the first time we scored two away :)

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:00 pm

Got to echo Frosty’s thanks to Mike for giving match non-attendees a real sense of what’s going on on the pitch. The reports seem to me to offer a good balance of measured optimism and criticism where its due. Of course, great as these are, there’s no substitute for seeing the games and so I’m looking at getting to the Millwall game as I’m on the south coast.

What’s for certain is we are not relegated yet. And while there are certainly some big problems, the squad has some definite assets too - enough potential talent to see us clear of the drop zone and ready to build for next season.

Regime change is always difficult (as anyone with a new boss or who’s been a new boss will confirm) - the question is, can Hurst handle the pressure, manage the personalities around him and utilise what he has available to the best effect? On that subject, if anyone hasn’t read David Peace’s amazing The Damned United, a fictionalised account of Brian Clough’s disasterous 42 days at Leeds I’d heartily recommend it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:58 am
Yeah, I did say League One level players and I shouldn’t have....... because the point was about the “freezing at the thought of a win” thing that definitely does happen. Shouldn’t have mentioned the players level. Point missed.
Must be massive pressure now on that first win.... so it must be in the heads of all the players.

If we can get that win and get out of the bottom three... that must be a monkey of the back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Yes mate, as I said there were a couple of errors prior to Nolan's vital one for the first goal, in real time I could not see that it was Chambo so point taken.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:36 pm

I was pretty excited for the Hurst era with him saying all the right things, but I'm very quickly losing patience with it. I understand peoples calls for positivity at this difficult time, but it's really bloody hard to look at the positives when they aren't producing ANY worthwhile results. 0 wins from 11 competitive games is a complete joke and being 2-0 up at half time against a team who have only won once so far should really have been seen out for the three points, same with the gutless performance at home against 10 man Bolton. I'm trying really hard to be optimistic about it all but we're heading into really dangerous territory. I never feared relegation under Mick, but right now it's starting to creep in.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:36 pm
I never feared relegation under Mick, but right now it's starting to creep in.
Wait until October’s end, J4ck. It will have crept in, shut the door behind it and thrown the key away.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:58 pm
J4ck22 wrote:
I never feared relegation under Mick, but right now it's starting to creep in.
Wait until October’s end, J4ck. It will have crept in, shut the door behind it and thrown the key away.
I don't want to think about that just yet!

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:19 pm

J4ck22 wrote:
I was pretty excited for the Hurst era with him saying all the right things, but I'm very quickly losing patience with it. I understand peoples calls for positivity at this difficult time, but it's really bloody hard to look at the positives when they aren't producing ANY worthwhile results. 0 wins from 11 competitive games is a complete joke and being 2-0 up at half time against a team who have only won once so far should really have been seen out for the three points, same with the gutless performance at home against 10 man Bolton. I'm trying really hard to be optimistic about it all but we're heading into really dangerous territory. I never feared relegation under Mick, but right now it's starting to creep in.
Spot on mate & not an over reaction. We all want to see Ipswich do well but it's not happening,things need to improve fast.Hopefully we can get a win against Middlesbrough tomorrow,it's not impossible.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 pm

Even with a victory tomorrow the team has fallen so far behind the leading pack and in such a short space of time, it's going to require a succession of wins to even create a possibility of getting something from this league season. When that victory occurs it could be the catalyst to a consistent run of form that takes the club to mid-league, but as before we're essentially leaving ourselves with too much to do.

Say again if not already brought to focus, if the club hasn't seen a marked improvement by near Christmas then Hurst should do the honorable thing and resign. You gave it a go, but you and the team were never made for each other. Hypothetically speaking of course.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 am

Hypothetically speaking that it could pathetically get worse?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:34 pm

tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:
MasseyFerguson wrote:

Think I might “ challenge” your description of Knudsen being an International footballer. He might get picked for the squad, but rarely plays. When he first came to Town, everyone said how crap he was, and I defended his corner so t speak, on the grounds that he needed time to adapt to the English game. Well , he either has adapted , or is simply crap. I can’t stand the bloke now, and would love Kenlock in ahead of him, ( that’s the only other option at the Club right now). Knudsen has more “ wrong” with his game , than is right IMO.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:34 pm
tangfastic wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Think I might “ challenge” your description of Knudsen being an International footballer. He might get picked for the squad, but rarely plays. When he first came to Town, everyone said how crap he was, and I defended his corner so t speak, on the grounds that he needed time to adapt to the English game. Well , he either has adapted , or is simply crap. I can’t stand the bloke now, and would love Kenlock in ahead of him, ( that’s the only other option at the Club right now). Knudsen has more “ wrong” with his game , than is right IMO.
I think I was making a point regarding the experience vs inexperience players. I’m not a fan. He is officially an international player, but I can’t say I think he’s a good player... definately not “international” class.

Obviously, Mick and Hurst like him. What with all furore about experienced players leaving and lack of Championship experience.... I’m happy enough for the moment for him to be in the team or can understand the reason why. I’d love to see Kenlock being given a run, but can’t see it happening while we’re struggling. I think Knudsen’s distribution is really poor.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:46 am

yer Tang, I agree with all of that. I'm not sure we will be renewing his contract for some reason though.