Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough Midweek Fixture?

Town Win
44%
Boro Win
38%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm
Hopefully the divorce proceedings are about Hurst divorcing Doig.
Or Mark Warburton to the rescue!! :shock: :lol:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.
I think there is very much a chance of that. Burley with Butcher as assistant would keep Ipswich up. Problem is that the boo boys would soon turn on them too. Ipswich had a fine manager in Mick McCarthy who wanted to stay doing the job but found it impossible to deal with these idiots. So Ipswich are now where they are. Was pretty easy to predict. Until their is a financial realism amongst the morons then no manager is immune to it at Ipswich. Mick McCarthy done a magnificient job at Town as did George Burley previously but the financial reality will not allow them any more than middle table at BEST !!
Burley.... FFS !!! Are you insane or on drugs??? The man who once had created his own mess to be somehow our saviour right now?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:08 pm

George Burley’s last club was Appollon Limassol in 2012. He lasted 2 games before being sacked.

That actually beat Butcher’s last managerial post for the Philippines national squad. He resigned without managing a game.

But they know this club apparently. So does the tea lady.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:10 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:08 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.
I think there is very much a chance of that. Burley with Butcher as assistant would keep Ipswich up. Problem is that the boo boys would soon turn on them too. Ipswich had a fine manager in Mick McCarthy who wanted to stay doing the job but found it impossible to deal with these idiots. So Ipswich are now where they are. Was pretty easy to predict. Until their is a financial realism amongst the morons then no manager is immune to it at Ipswich. Mick McCarthy done a magnificient job at Town as did George Burley previously but the financial reality will not allow them any more than middle table at BEST !!
Burley.... FFS !!! Are you insane or on drugs??? The man who once had created his own mess to be somehow our saviour right now?
What "mess" did he create Mach?

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 pm

2002 when he was unable to control the squad which was full of primadonnas and his own signings. Not only brutal relegation just start of the following season too. Grimsby 3-0 Ipswich we kept sinking towards the bottom of the Championship and he had no clue whatsoever what to do to repair the damage..........Today the soppy element of our fanbase think he'd have clue what to do in the current situation :roll:

We have been rotting in this poxy, terrible Championship league because of him and his decisions back in 2002.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:50 pm

Mach we finished 5th in 2001. We were in Europe in 2002 we did not have a bid enough squad to cope. Richard Wright f*cked off to Arsenal. Burley unfortunately achieved to much to soon. He certainly did not create the problem. We went into administration sold Stewart, Ambrose and Bramble. Come on Mach I think your being a bit to harsh here. Poor financial management by Sheepshanks was the undoing of the club I'm afraid.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:50 pm
Mach we finished 5th in 2001. We were in Europe in 2002 we did not have a bid enough squad to cope. Richard Wright f*cked off to Arsenal. Burley unfortunately achieved to much to soon. He certainly did not create the problem. We went into administration sold Stewart, Ambrose and Bramble. Come on Mach I think your being a bit to harsh here. Poor financial management by Sheepshanks was the undoing of the club I'm afraid.
So does finishing 5th and having been one season wonders mask all of his wrongdoings? We were brutally relegated in the following season.

But my main subject is how on earth some people think he'd be saviour now when he himself had no clue whatsoever what to do when we were near the bottom of the Championship and embarrassed 3-0 by Grimsby?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
So does finishing 5th and having been one season wonders mask all of his wrongdoings? We were brutally relegated in the following season.

But my main subject is how on earth some people think he'd be saviour now when he himself had no clue whatsoever what to do when we were near the bottom of the Championship and embarrassed 3-0 by Grimsby?
Mach his passion for club alone would get bums on seats. Instant respect from the players something Hurst does not have. He played football and used 2 upfront. I think he could do a job, he won't get it so don't worry. But please do not blame him for anything that happened 16 years ago. Sheepshanks as I said ruined us financially which had a knock on affect on the playing squad quality wise.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:

We won't have to play Grimsby any time soon so it's fine.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 pm

Burley was in attendance at the Middlesbrough game for what's it worth. Maybe just a regular participation or there's more to it, who knows.

Would be prepared to allow him back, fair enough the good work and fifth place EPL finish was near 20 years back but f*ck it I'd favor him over Paul Hurst here and now without hesitation.

Only problem is Evans once again. What funds or expenditure would George have from the tight-as* chairman to make us competitive once again, and the new squad (if that's what you can label it) seems to possess a number of 'dead wood' and players that appear surplus. As always, the owner requires to go before any potential manager can undertake duties or proceed with actions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Burley....never gonna happen.

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 pm

[quote=Bluemike post_id=947436 time=1538557255 user_id=7760]
I think its easy to be more accepting of a round the block, done it all boring manager if you don't have to witness the games every week cus all that really matters then is the end result, those that were suffering the boring style week in week out wanted change, pretty much any change, I got to that stage too and I stuck by Mick as long as anyone, Hurst was my choice for a new direction, he's brought in some good players and I have no issue with Edwards, Edun, Nsisla, Donacien, Jackson and Chalobah, unfortunately nobody could forsee the departures of Waghorn and Garner, not even Hurst and we are suffering for it.

My biggest gripes are the constant poor team selections, weekly tinkering with it and a one up front formation, they are the reasons we are struggling, a team with Edwards, Edun and Dozzell in from the off and with someone supporting the effective Jackson would be so different. I also feel this should be the season we witness the breakthroughs of Woolfenden, Nydam, Downes, Morris and Folami, so where the hell are they all, I think Hurst has got the treatment of the kids totally wrong too, he's been his own worst enemy.

Swansea and Leeds are defeats all day long so for me its wins against Millwall and QPR in October or its goodbye PH, I hate saying that but it can't continue. Ideally we should keep him until End December as any new manager is stuck with this squad until then anyway and it may just cause more upheaval by removing Hurst until any new boss can make his own additions, bit of a mess and a catch 22 really.
[/quote]

At this rate Christmas will be too late. It won’t be long before we will need playoff form to avoid relegation. When MM took over I think we ended up something like second in the form table for second half of season. Can’t see that happening again.