Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough Midweek Fixture?

Town Win
44%
Boro Win
38%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town vs Middlesbrough Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 am

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.
I think there is very much a chance of that. Burley with Butcher as assistant would keep Ipswich up. Problem is that the boo boys would soon turn on them too. Ipswich had a fine manager in Mick McCarthy who wanted to stay doing the job but found it impossible to deal with these idiots. So Ipswich are now where they are. Was pretty easy to predict. Until their is a financial realism amongst the morons then no manager is immune to it at Ipswich. Mick McCarthy done a magnificient job at Town as did George Burley previously but the financial reality will not allow them any more than middle table at BEST !!
MM time had come, and I wouldn't have wanted him to stay even knowing what I know now. PH might not have been the right appointment, but MM staying would have killed this club just as much. The relationship had broken down too far to come back from.
MM going was right, PH coming in, in hindsight, was wrong. What matters now is how we fix the situation before its too late. Wishful thinking wont help, we need some good decisions being made and quickly.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:36 pm

Not much I can add to the comments above - another extremely poor performance by both manager and players, things are definitely not improving game by game.

Interesting how many are now calling for PH to go - I remember when he was appointed that it was only myself Charnwood and Derek who consistently voiced concerns about him being out of his depth and not the right man for the job. What a difference 11 games make.

I must say that I am not pleased to see myself referenced on the PH section above - anonymously of course but I know full well that the post referred to was my post last Saturday of my opinion of PH.

I referred to him as a useless cúnt - I don't see what's wrong with that as I call a spade a spade and a cúnt a cúnt, and that is my opinion of him.

Mike, leading up to his appointment you bigged him up more than anybody else did - I realise that now you must feel somewhat embarrassed by this and even seem to be changing your opinion of him a bit, but consider the following..............

how could anybody play a midfield 3 of Graham Nolan and Ward, and leave Edwards Dozell and Edun on the bench
and
how could anybody - 2 goals down at half time - react by replacing the one solitary striker with another solitary striker?

That, to me, is the supreme example of being a useless cúnt :| :| :|

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm

Gary, I did big him up and wanted him, still want him to succeed but ive posted my comments as to why it cant be allowed to go on, you've just repeated them, what i was obviously unaware of, along with everyone else is that Hurst would lose Waghorn, Garner and Webster, or that he would send out all the kids, or that he would constantly chop and change and have one up front, these are the reasons we are struggling.

I dont feel embarrassed at all, nothing wrong in backing someone for a job, nothing is certain to succeed, I would be more embarrassed if I was one of those who finds fault with everyone and everything and cant ever see a positive, however small they might be, its easy to have no opinion on who we should appoint etc and then criticise who we actually do appoint. The "I told you so" stance really isn't great when those that say it actually told us nothing.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 am
valleyroad wrote:
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:19 am
In his after match interview, I think Paul Hurst looked like a broken shadow of a man. I think he realises its too much for him and I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone in during the next international break.

There's loads of talk on TWTD about Burley (I am assuming as he was at the game with Big Terry) ! Not sure I would welcome that as you can never go back, but Jesus, he's got to be better than what we are witnessing at the moment. Its dire in the extreme.
I think there is very much a chance of that. Burley with Butcher as assistant would keep Ipswich up. Problem is that the boo boys would soon turn on them too. Ipswich had a fine manager in Mick McCarthy who wanted to stay doing the job but found it impossible to deal with these idiots. So Ipswich are now where they are. Was pretty easy to predict. Until their is a financial realism amongst the morons then no manager is immune to it at Ipswich. Mick McCarthy done a magnificient job at Town as did George Burley previously but the financial reality will not allow them any more than middle table at BEST !!
MM time had come, and I wouldn't have wanted him to stay even knowing what I know now. PH might not have been the right appointment, but MM staying would have killed this club just as much. The relationship had broken down too far to come back from.
MM going was right, PH coming in, in hindsight, was wrong. What matters now is how we fix the situation before its too late. Wishful thinking wont help, we need some good decisions being made and quickly.
My point is though that no matter who the manager is their is a significant deluded element of the support at Portman Road who just don't get the financial gap and its relevance to what any manager can achieve at Ipswich. Until proper funding is delivered to any manager to improve the team significantly then the best Ipswich can really hope for is mid table and the odd push under a quality manager to get within sight of play offs.

Yes given the situation MM's time had probably come but its the process as to how that came about that is the issue.

Paul Hurst is really struggling within this environment as he doesn't have the experience and know how of a manager like McCarthy. Burley does and may be an alternative. Personally I doubt it would be Burley but he is an example of the type of manager with proven experience who could do the Ipswich job in the clubs current financial state.

The treatment of managers today is also a disgrace. Guys like MM and Steve Bruce etc just totally abused by mindless clown who haven't an earthly about the job and its difficulties. Total lack of respect and a sense of entitlement that is farcical.
Last edited by valleyroad on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 pm

:astroll: Well put Gary, If i was Hurst i would go sh*t or bust chuck in the young guns Wollfey,Nydam,Downes, Morris & Folami. Dozzell, drop Chambers, Knudsen, Nolan, Ward, Donacian, leave Edwards, and Chalobah, in put Edun, chuck all those in the mix against Swansea, and make men of them, give them the break they want, their busting a gut to get in the 1st team, and as was seen on the after match comments from PH, he's a sorry looking manager that's completely lost for idea's, its as clear as daylight some of the signings he's made are not up to the standard required in the Championship,

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

My point is though that no matter who the manager is their is a significant deluded element of the support at Portman Road who just don't get the financial gap and its relevance to what any manager can achieve at Ipswich. Until proper funding is delivered to any manager to improve the team significantly then the best Ipswich can really hope for is mid table and the odd push under a quality manager to get within sight of play offs.

Yes given the situation MM's time had probably come but its the process as to how that came about that is the issue.

Paul Hurst is really struggling within this environment as he doesn't have the experience and know how of a manager like McCarthy. Burley does and may be an alternative. Personally I doubt it would be Burley but he is an example of the type of manager with proven experience who could do the Ipswich job in the clubs current financial state.

The treatment of managers today is also a disgrace. Guys like MM and Steve Bruce etc just totally abused by mindless clown who haven't an earthly about the job and its difficulties. Total lack of respect and a sense of entitlement that is farcical.
I agree there is lack of respect for managers in general, but MM really didn't help himself. Respect is a two way street, and his ignorance of the emotion people feel for this club let him down. I am sure PH is doing his best, but he is obviously out of his depth. I desperately want him to succeed, but I get the feeling its too late now. Hes a dead man walking, and like Ashford says... maybe its time for sh*t or bust. Throw the kids on and see what happens, its probably the only solution he hasn't actually tried yet!

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:24 pm
Gary, I did big him up and wanted him, still want him to succeed but ive posted my comments as to why it cant be allowed to go on, you've just repeated them, what i was obviously unaware of, along with everyone else is that Hurst would lose Waghorn, Garner and Webster, or that he would send out all the kids, or that he would constantly chop and change and have one up front, these are the reasons we are struggling.

I dont feel embarrassed at all, nothing wrong in backing someone for a job, nothing is certain to succeed, I would be more embarrassed if I was one of those who finds fault with everyone and everything and cant ever see a positive, however small they might be, its easy to have no opinion on who we should appoint etc and then criticise who we actually do appoint. The "I told you so" stance really isn't great when those that say it actually told us nothing.
Well anybody only had to look at Shrewsbury's results last season - most of their wins were 1-0 - to realise the way he set his teams up to play, so the one up front should have come as no surprise. And as far as who got the job goes - I posted very early on that out of the candidates named my favourite was Lampard - he's not done brilliant so far and has less managerial experience than Hurst, but I still think he would have been a better appointment

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:12 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:36 pm
Not much I can add to the comments above - another extremely poor performance by both manager and players, things are definitely not improving game by game.

Interesting how many are now calling for PH to go - I remember when he was appointed that it was only myself Charnwood and Derek who consistently voiced concerns about him being out of his depth and not the right man for the job. What a difference 11 games make.

I must say that I am not pleased to see myself referenced on the PH section above - anonymously of course but I know full well that the post referred to was my post last Saturday of my opinion of PH.

I referred to him as a useless cúnt - I don't see what's wrong with that as I call a spade a spade and a cúnt a cúnt, and that is my opinion of him.

Mike, leading up to his appointment you bigged him up more than anybody else did - I realise that now you must feel somewhat embarrassed by this and even seem to be changing your opinion of him a bit, but consider the following..............

how could anybody play a midfield 3 of Graham Nolan and Ward, and leave Edwards Dozell and Edun on the bench
and
how could anybody - 2 goals down at half time - react by replacing the one solitary striker with another solitary striker?

That, to me, is the supreme example of being a useless cúnt :| :| :|
Don't think Paul Hurts previous managerial success make him a useless cúnt as you digracefully put it.
If Ipswich were going down the line of a young up and coming successful coach then Hurst was an ok appointment.
Isn't working out for him but your comment is way out of order and doesn't really get glossed over with the "I call a spade a spade" diversion.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Well anybody only had to look at Shrewsbury's results last season - most of their wins were 1-0 - to realise the way he set his teams up to play, so the one up front should have come as no surprise. And as far as who got the job goes - I posted very early on that out of the candidates named my favourite was Lampard - he's not done brilliant so far and has less managerial experience than Hurst, but I still think he would have been a better appointment
Why Lampard, just because he was a outstanding player. Alex Ferguson wasn't and many top managers werent either. Eddie Howe, Jose Mourinho, the list is endless. Its a different job playing to managing.
Hurst was way more qualified than Lampard for the managers role and given the resources are much bigger at Derby its very dubious to think for a second that he would have done any better at Ipswich.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 pm
valleyroad wrote:
nicscreamer wrote:

I agree there is lack of respect for managers in general, but MM really didn't help himself. Respect is a two way street, and his ignorance of the emotion people feel for this club let him down. I am sure PH is doing his best, but he is obviously out of his depth. I desperately want him to succeed, but I get the feeling its too late now. Hes a dead man walking, and like Ashford says... maybe its time for sh*t or bust. Throw the kids on and see what happens, its probably the only solution he hasn't actually tried yet!
I agree with you on this about MM, "Respect is a two way street, and his ignorance of the emotion people feel for this club let him down.".
I think he could and should have handled that much better.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 pm
:astroll: Well put Gary, If i was Hurst i would go sh*t or bust chuck in the young guns Wollfey,Nydam,Downes, Morris & Folami. Dozzell, drop Chambers, Knudsen, Nolan, Ward, Donacian, leave Edwards, and Chalobah, in put Edun, chuck all those in the mix against Swansea, and make men of them, give them the break they want, their busting a gut to get in the 1st team, and as was seen on the after match comments from PH, he's a sorry looking manager that's completely lost for idea's, its as clear as daylight some of the signings he's made are not up to the standard required in the Championship,
Not sure if you are aware Ash but Woolfy, Nydam and Morris are on loan and cant be recalled while Folami is away in Australia.

The general consensus of opinion is that Hurst has flooded the team with too many players who have no championship experience but I am guessing you disagree as you would still flood the team with inexperienced kids?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:36 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:05 pm
valleyroad wrote:

I agree with you on this about MM, "Respect is a two way street, and his ignorance of the emotion people feel for this club let him down.".
I think he could and should have handled that much better.
Personally I loved the "f*ck off" incident at Carrow Road cus I was saying the same thing, booing your team in a local Derby when poised at 0-0 is the sign of true morons, same numbskulls that celebtrated like hell when Chambo headed us ahead, double standard prats.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:57 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:50 pm
Not sure if you are aware Ash but Woolfy, Nydam and Morris are on loan and cant be recalled while Folami is away in Australia.

The general consensus of opinion is that Hurst has flooded the team with too many players who have no championship experience but I am guessing you disagree as you would still flood the team with inexperienced kids?
I think you have gone a bit over the top with your 'death or glory' approach Ash, but I fully understand your thinking. Too many youngsters would be as bad as too many inexperienced lower league players as Mike has said. As you also say, Hurst seemed a broken man last night, without a clue as what to do next. I hope ME has some more money to spend in the next transfer window because the team is going to need it. Having said that though, has he had his fingers burned (once again) and will trust Hurst to spend it wisely? He may prefer giving it to someone else!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Yeah I think PH's time is just about up. ME needs to act soon to save the season. Initially I thought PH should be given until Christmas to figure things out, but with the lack of progress and growing injury list I don't see him turning this around. It's really a shame...I wanted PH to at least keep us mid-table with attacking football. Surely ME's recruitment process identified PH as the best man for Ipswich??? It just hasn't worked out.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 pm

You lot are making me very depressed. In last night's game we had 5 awful minutes that cost us the game ( and maybe an excuse to "rest" our Captain) but prior to their first goal we had played well and in the second half we were definitely the better side, albeit still looking a bit toothless in front of goal. I was surprised and disappointed about Ward and Graham starting but I think the football is infinitely better to watch than last season. I suspect last season Chambers would have lumped the ball up field but are you all happy if that is what he does? We were all calling for a change of style, a new manager and looking for decent players from Leagues 1 and 2. And I think In the main that is what we've got. Donacien, Edwards and especially Nsiala are terrific players and in my opinion have already made the step up and Nolan and Jackson are showing glimpses of making it. It's the established players (apart from Skuse) that are letting us down. Last season it took Brentford 10 matches before they won ( they had 8 points to our 6 this season) and we had 15 points from our first 6 or 7 matches. They finished just short of the play-offs. They had a new manager and they had the balls to stick with him and look at them now! I've always said let's see where we are at the end of December. I still believe we'll be ok come May. We've only had a month and a half of an 8 month season ...keep the faith!

My team for the Swansea match: Gerken Donacien Nsiala Pennington Kenlock Skuse (c) Chalaboa Edwards Dozzell Nolan Jackson.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:23 pm

RRanger wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:09 pm
You lot are making me very depressed. In last night's game we had 5 awful minutes that cost us the game ( and maybe an excuse to "rest" our Captain) but prior to their first goal we had played well and in the second half we were definitely the better side, albeit still looking a bit toothless in front of goal. I was surprised and disappointed about Ward and Graham starting but I think the football is infinitely better to watch than last season. I suspect last season Chambers would have lumped the ball up field but are you all happy if that is what he does? We were all calling for a change of style, a new manager and looking for decent players from Leagues 1 and 2. And I think In the main that is what we've got. Donacien, Edwards and especially Nsiala are terrific players and in my opinion have already made the step up and Nolan and Jackson are showing glimpses of making it. It's the established players (apart from Skuse) that are letting us down. Last season it took Brentford 10 matches before they won ( they had 8 points to our 6 this season) and we had 15 points from our first 6 or 7 matches. They finished just short of the play-offs. They had a new manager and they had the balls to stick with him and look at them now! I've always said let's see where we are at the end of December. I still believe we'll be ok come May. We've only had a month and a half of an 8 month season ...keep the faith!

My team for the Swansea match: Gerken Donacien Nsiala Pennington Kenlock Skuse (c) Chalaboa Edwards Dozzell Nolan Jackson.
We played better in the second half because Boro were already 2-0 up and eased off, sat back and let us play a little bit knowing it would eventually go nowhere. It happens all the time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Great post Ranger, it is very easy to jump on the negative bandwagon after another defeat which we have all done but reading your comments brings it back that not everything was bad or wrong, I want him to succeed so much but he has to help himself with team selection etc.

Your comments about everyone wanting change and a new approach with League One players is also bang on, just a shame some choose to forget it when the going gets tough, and that was actually after 6 games or something ridiculous, thanks for at least cheering me up a bit, been so down today.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:52 am
Losing faith game by game.

Fair play by taking the game to Middlesbrough, but totally naive to press so far up the pitch it leaves the defence exposed. That first goal was a tactical error. Midfield were nowhere... in the 10th minute!

Don’t know how Chambers thought that pass was on to Knudsen for their second. What did he think Knudsen was going to do with the ball anyway... Chambo should have just lumped it as as usual.

The bright spot was Chalobah. Thought he was the one who always looked for the ball and put some great crosses in. But no one was in the box. Good to see Dozzell there at the end. You can see he has the passes in his locker.

It’s bad enough now.... Hurst better pull something out of the bag quick.
Certainly Chabolah done well second half but partly at fault for their second IMO

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 pm

rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Personally can't see how you can think that, he is more of a gamble than Hurst. Keane was a great player and took Sunderland up but f****d this club.

Paul Jewel another success story at Wigan and again same results.

But I am happy to blame Mike for everything :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:00 pm

I fully accept it lol

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:59 pm

Got some adequate highlights within the last hour and perhaps it wasn't as poor as some make it out to be. By that I mean certain players really seemed to take the initiative after the interval and make a determined effort to get the team back in the game. However the first period was regrettable, with no challenge on the first scorer when he had far too much room to maneuver towards goal. Chambers usually dependable, made a bizarre error for their second but the Middlesbrough player still had work to do despite the mistake. Gerken if not already mentioned was dependable at times and made at least one standout save but it takes a collective unit to gain points and victory. Not enough cohesion you would insist, the team deployment was arguably questionable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am

Team deployment arguably questionable, Saint? Don't think there will be many arguments there.

And Nicscreamer is NOT Dee Snider? WTF is going on?

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 am

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm
rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Why Lampard, just because he was a outstanding player. Alex Ferguson wasn't and many top managers werent either. Eddie Howe, Jose Mourinho, the list is endless. Its a different job playing to managing.
Hurst was way more qualified than Lampard for the managers role and given the resources are much bigger at Derby its very dubious to think for a second that he would have done any better at Ipswich.
Try looking beyond the end of your nose.

Everybody knows that the best players do not automatically make the best managers. Having said that, Lampard had a great career at the top pf his field whilst PH languished most of his playing career at Rotherham. Who do you suppose has the greater football knowledge then? And the better contacts too.

FWIW, Lampard would never be my preferred choice of manager for this club, but I did feel he was the best of a bad bunch in the summer.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am
Team deployment arguably questionable, Saint? Don't think there will be many arguments there.

Lol, just like Kiss, I am revealed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:59 am

nicscreamer wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 am
marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:34 am

Lol, just like Kiss, I am revealed
Another dodgy character, place is full of em 😂

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 am

Bluemike wrote:

Mike I think I expressed I preferred Jack Ross. Hurst I never wanted. :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:19 am

Yes Derick you did, im still hoping you are proved wrong but it ain't looking good

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:38 am

I always wanted Steve McClaren. Honest.

We’ve gone from “Be careful what you wish for” to “I told you so” to “Nothing to do with me”.

Feeling a bit sorry for that f*cking useless Northern c*nt. It’s lonely at the bottom.

Honeymoons definately over and we’re now into the marriage counselling stage.... or has divorce proceedings started?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:29 pm

Steve Mclaren, LMAO

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Hopefully the divorce proceedings are about Hurst divorcing Doig.