Matt Holland's Comments......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Matt Holland's Comments......

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Having listened to the Radio link I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in Matt Holland, I just cant help but feel it was a case of sticking the knife in and twisting it, some of it didn't actually sound particularly true to me, like he was kind of ad-libbing his way through it tbh. And as for saying Bart only had one poor game is pure bullshit, he hasn't seen many games for sure so keep it shut on that score.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:39 pm

Very surprised and saddened to hear it all really. Holland doesn't strike me as someone who would chuck around unfounded controversies. Surely he doesn't have an ulterior motive? He must really dislike the situation and want to rock the boat and push through a change of manager?!

Holloway always seems like a fun idea, but his record doesn't blow me away.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:47 pm

There is no doubt Matt Holland loves the club but I'm not so sure there isn't a ulterior motive.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:41 pm

I just hope Mattie Holland doesn’t have any aspirations to move into a role at Portman Road, that would be even worse than George Burley and/or Terry Butcher arriving and they’d be bad enough.

I really don’t see where this is heading at the moment other than the fact that Paul Hursts days in post are limited and should end sometime soon, unless of course a miracle occurs and he gets a stay of execution by repeating the result at Swansea. My concern is who replaces him because if Evans expects the new guy to get results using current resources, he’d best start looking for a magician. Oops, wasn’t that one of McCarthy’s nicknames 🤭.

My first choice albeit impracticable, would be to wait for Neil Warnock, surely he must be on borrowed time at Cardiff City, now he’d do a very good job for us, but I can’t think of many others given our current state of affairs. When you sit down in the cold light of day and look at options, you realise what i dire position the club is in at the moment and what an unenviable situation Marcus Evans presides over.

I see Tim Sherwoods name has already been linked, but I can’t say that fills me with too much excitement or confidence.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:43 am

The mention of Sherwood makes me shudder. Would prefer Pardew to him.... and I can’t stand Pardew.

Sherwoods a mate of Arry’s .... I just hope ME’s not bending Redknapps ear on the next boss.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 am

Re: Holland......., if it is unfounded controversies then that is the absolute worst. Especially for fans who haven’t quite got their finger on the pulse. I personally listened to it with a “this is Matt Holland, ex Ipswich and passionate Ipswich supporter” frame of mind.

Since listened to it again; what parts are you thinking he’s ad-libbing, Mike? Ive heard Matt speak before and I couldn’t help but think he was just saying it like it is in that clip Hallam posted.
In total agreement that he is wrong about Bart.
Leading up to that derby, (reflected in match reports) ——-> Bart was sh*t......,liability at almost every opposition attack. Needed dropped and Hurst took that action. According to subsequent match reports, (different online report) Gerkens only dodgy performance has been QPR. He could take sole credit for the seasons only win @ Swansea.
Maybe Holland is forgetting the Bart performances pre-Norwich.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 am

I've heard Matt Holland in the TV mainly before and he has always come across articulate and fluent, this was anything but, he came out with the bit about having heard Evans had sounded out alternative managers and then for me got kinda hesitant and then almost appeared to want to retract it by quickly saying "oh but that was 2 weeks ago I heard that " and it all just came across a bit lame to me if I'm honest. It doesn't look good coming from someone who had thrown their hat into the ring following Micks departure. There may be absolutely nothing in it but I'm not convinced at the moment.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am

That would be very unfortunate if he has been opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble.

You’ve just got to hope that the hesitancy was merely just trying to find the correct words on radio due to being pissed off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 am
That would be very unfortunate if he has been opening his mouth and letting his belly rumble.

You’ve just got to hope that the hesitancy was merely just trying to find the correct words on radio due to being pissed off.
Yes Marko, it could very well be that, he was probably thinking to himself "should I be saying this"

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:05 pm
charlton837 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:59 pm
I don't think he is quite stable enough to be perfectly honest.
Whit?? :lol:

You’ll need to elaborate on that one, Charlton.
lol I just meant he always seems to me to live on a different planet. His interviews are quirky and sometimes funny, he says some very strange things. I always remember how he used to do his lineup before matches using teddy bears, Hes just a bit weird! He has done an OK job at some clubs but for me his record is not all that and he doesn't last long at most places, I think he ends up annoying people. Im fairly sure people at Milwall, Leicester, even QPR where he used to be liked would tell you not to even consider him.

Also regarding Matt Holland, I get what people are saying about his comments, I honestly don't think he would be out to cause problems to anyone on purpose, I think hes just very sad to see where we are and was speaking his mind although I do agree he seemed to stop a couple of times, perhaps emotions running high and he wanted to be careful. I know Hurst said Holland put his name forward for this job but I don't think this was ever general knowledge so who knows if that's true, not even sure Hurst would know if it were? I wouldn't want Holland as manager at this stage but I would take him on in some capacity within the club.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 am

Steve Bruce with Chambo as his number two, there ya go.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:28 am

I’d be happy to take Steve Bruce but last time I mentioned it on here the comment was “out of the frying pan into the fire”... in fact I don’t think anyone else agreed.
My only concern is whether or not he could work with the current squad and limited resources, as that was when his problems began at Villa when he was having to sell players without funds to replace them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am
Bluemike wrote:

I’d be happy to take Steve Bruce but last time I mentioned it on here the comment was “out of the frying pan into the fire”... in fact I don’t think anyone else agreed.
My only concern is whether or not he could work with the current squad and limited resources, as that was when his problems began at Villa when he was having to sell players without funds to replace them.
I dont particularly want Bruce, I just thought it was a decent shout, forgot we had already had this convo, LOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I dont particularly want Bruce, I just thought it was a decent shout, forgot we had already had this convo, LOL.

It wasn’t a particularly lengthy thread Mike and it was more about Bruce being sacked than about him coming to Portman Road.
I’ve always quite liked the bloke and he was a regular visitor to Ipswich when his lad Alex was here. I think he’s genuine and solid and well suited to Championship football, I just think he’d get thoroughly frustrated working with Marcus Evans, but then who wouldn’t.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:37 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:35 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am
Charnwood wrote:

It wasn’t a particularly lengthy thread Mike and it was more about Bruce being sacked than about him coming to Portman Road.
I’ve always quite liked the bloke and he was a regular visitor to Ipswich when his lad Alex was here. I think he’s genuine and solid and well suited to Championship football, I just think he’d get thoroughly frustrated working with Marcus Evans, but then who wouldn’t.
If it wasn’t for the fact that he’d already been here and most hated the bloke, given our current situation, Mick McCarthy would be a good shout 🤭🤔☹️

Oops, how did that slip out. 🤭

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 am

:D :D :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm

Bruce would be a decent shout, but I can’t see it happening. I think he’d bide his time and wait for a Championship club with more money/ambition.

I think Bruce’s stock is not that low. He got Villa to the play-offs last season and just had a bad start to the season.

I think we’ll pick a manager who’s a bit more on the desperate side... maybe had a bit of success, but has been battered around a bit and on the slide.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 pm
Bruce would be a decent shout, but I can’t see it happening. I think he’d bide his time and wait for a Championship club with more money/ambition.

I think Bruce’s stock is not that low. He got Villa to the play-offs last season and just had a bad start to the season.

I think we’ll pick a manager who’s a bit more on the desperate side... maybe had a bit of success, but has been battered around a bit and on the slide.
Mick it is then !!!!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Or........ Keane :mrgreen:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Taking it too far lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Oh FFS?! That’s a banning offence for even suggesting that tit.