Sacked

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Sacked

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Last edited by derick_ipsw on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Sacked

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:55 pm

Shame but thank f*ck.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Sorry Derick, didn't see your link so deleted mine.

Not sure about Lambert though.

lucy

Post by lucy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:00 pm

Paul Lambert set to take over according to TWTD

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm

We can confirm that Chris Doig, Nathan Winder and Chris Skitt have also left the Club.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Good! Thank god!

Lambert wouldn’t have been my first choice but he’s a better option that hurst.

Isn’t it fate that an ex Norwich manager gives us our first win against them as well?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:58 pm

If he saves us Mike who gives a f*ck about the scum connection .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm
Good! Thank god!

Isn’t it fate that an ex Norwich manager gives us our first win against them as well?
Written in the stars.

At the end of the day Paul Lambert would not have been my first choice either but at this moment in time needs must and he has been there and done it, I couldn't care less that he is an ex scummer, right now survival is the be all and end all of my concerns.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:58 pm

If he saves us Mike who gives a f*ck about the scum connection .
I've just posted that very thing lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:09 pm

News as it hits social media....
I am actively looking to appoint a new manager as soon as possible with experience, who will embrace the long term vision we all have for the Club and who can deliver the success that every Ipswich Town supporter craves.” - Marcus Evans. #itfc

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:11 pm

All I feel is relief and yet sadness that it didn’t work out . I hope Paul lambert is third time lucky for managers named Paul

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:06 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Good! Thank god!

Written in the stars.

At the end of the day Paul Lambert would not have been my first choice either but at this moment in time needs must and he has been there and done it, I couldn't care less that he is an ex scummer, right now survival is the be all and end all of my concerns.
My only worry about Lambert is after Villa he has seemed a bit of a broken man. But if he goes back to Colchester, scum and Villa days i think he could be a good appointment. If he hasn’t got his energy back after the Stoke fiasco then it probably won’t end well...

Still I feel more positive already. Tempted to go Millwall before reading now. Hopefully the players feel the same.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:15 pm

We must remember Lambert hasn't even been confirmed yet, all speculation at the minute.

Ipswich Town have sacked Paul Hurst as their manager after a terrible start to the season that has seen them marooned at the bottom of the table with just one win from 14 Championship games, and are considering Paul Lambert - formerly coach of arch rivals Norwich - as their next manager.

Hurst made his name getting Shrewsbury promoted from League Two on a tiny budget having saved them from relegation the previous year but since stepping up to the second tier, Hurst has struggled to get his team scoring and their wretched form has cost him his job.

Assistant manager Chris Doig, fitness coach Nathan Winder and head of medical services, Chris Skitt, have also left the club.

Lambert is vastly experienced at Championship level, where he impressed with both Colchester and the Canaries, and is seen as a safe pair of hands by the club's hierarchy - though no official offer has been made to the Scot yet by Town owner Marcus Evans.

“I have decided that it is in the best interests of the Football Club that we appoint a new manager to take us forward,” Evans told the club website.

“I would like to thank Paul and Chris for their efforts and we wish them well for the future but after 14 matches we find ourselves bottom of the Championship and with only one win this season.

“Paul’s arrival here in the summer was welcomed by us all and we worked tirelessly to support him fully with his plans for player recruitment, training methodology and backroom staff. But unfortunately those plans haven’t turned into positive results, which is why I have had to take this decision today.

“The core of our club remains strong and it is that which has helped us create a highly competitive team in the Championship over the last five or six years.

“This group of experienced players along with the additions we made to the squad this summer of younger developing talent, plus the ongoing progression of players from our Academy means the new manager will have a solid group to work with and build for the future.

“I am determined that we develop a team to play attractive and exciting football.

“We have a stable and talented coaching team in place at Ipswich and Bryan Klug will step up and take temporary charge of the first-team for Saturday’s trip to Millwall.

“I am actively looking to appoint a new manager as soon as possible with experience, who will embrace the long term vision we all have for the Club and who can deliver the success that every Ipswich Town supporter craves.”

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm praying it's not Lambert. Since he went to Villa he's looked shot to bits. Stoke.and wolves fans would will be happy to tell us about him. Remember that God awful home match a season or two back with wolves than ended 0-0. That was Mick v Lambert and it was woeful.

It's nothing to do with his Norwich connections, I just don't want him here. I'm also sad that Hurst didn't work out. I hope the report is wrong and we get someone else

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Correct decision to sack Hurst and appointing Lambert would be another one.
Paul Lambert is an excellent manager and would do a top job for Ipswich.
Still a young man also. Really hope this happens.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Well ... it’s decisive.

Thanks, Paul... I appreciate the couple of pre-season months where I genuinely felt you could give us a positive push in the right direction .... and the ONE genuinely enjoyable win against Swansea. Enjoy the pay-off after 5 months work.

With this coming so decisively in regards to how Evans usually gives time to managers.... there must have been a lot of issues behind the scenes.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:28 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:22 pm
I'm praying it's not Lambert. Since he went to Villa he's looked shot to bits. Stoke.and wolves fans would will be happy to tell us about him. Remember that God awful home match a season or two back with wolves than ended 0-0. That was Mick v Lambert and it was woeful.

It's nothing to do with his Norwich connections, I just don't want him here. I'm also sad that Hurst didn't work out. I hope the report is wrong and we get someone else
Lambert done a superb job at Wolves and beat Liverpool at Anfield in that spell, he left as he wanted control over signings
Stoke was a brutal ask.
He kept Villa up with Lerner destroying the club, was outstanding at Norwich and Colchester.
What more do you want.
Its Ipswich Town FC we are talking about here, they ain't getting a Klopp !
Last edited by valleyroad on Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:37 pm

More delighted that Doig leaves also.

Shame for Hurst. Think he genuinely assembled a good Shrewsbury side and gave them that one memorable season.
Maybe with more funding from Mevans he could’ve done something decent at ITFC, but we shall never know. What we do know is the Championship is a bit too tough for L1 level players. And the club is stuck with them until the January window. Good luck new manager guy.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

If you’re worried about Lambert.

The sackrace site puts Lambo at 2/1 ... Bruce at 6/1 ... and a few others including Pardew ... before at 16/1 there is Craig Bellamy.

Bruce would be the one who would show intent ( ie big salary, reputation ) if Evans is serious. Probably Lambert or Grayson, I reckon.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:49 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

The sackrace site puts Lambo at 2/1 ... Bruce at 6/1 ... and a few others including Pardew ... before at 16/1 there is Craig Bellamy.

Bruce would be the one who would show intent ( ie big salary, reputation ) if Evans is serious. Probably Lambert or Grayson, I reckon.
Too early for Bruce to come back into a job. He'll want a break.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:51 pm

I think this has come at the right time, I really feel sorry for Hurst, but I also think this is a few years to early for him.

a few seasons with a yoyo club so he'd know what was required would have been better for him.
Having said that, any manager that loses his main goal scorer and doesn't replace him is gonna be in for a hard time.

Mick found it out with losing Murphy, And Paul found it out with losing Waghorn.
Ah well upwards and onwards, here's to the next guy, if he fails then fingers only need to point in one direction.(ME)

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:52 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Larry Grayson? Oh sorry Lambert or Grayson. Shut that door :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:59 pm

:) I said he would be gone before the weekend now let's stop f*****ground and appointment a manager with experience, oh also Mr Evans back him to the hilt to get us up the table please

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:00 pm

It will be very interesting to see which team Klug puts out on Saturday and what formation.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Sackedg

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:52 pm

Well no great surprise there but thank f*ck he’s gone, but please not another Paul,

I spent a lifetime career managing managers and can’t think of a single successful manager with that names and for that reason alone he wouldn’t appear on my short list. I’ve no idea who would and need to give it some serious thought.

For me at least it shows that Evans is prepared to accept a mistake and move on, and not waste too much time deliberating, I just hope he accepts his mistake could prove costly and not try to claw it back by not financially supporting the new man.

Hopefully Part 1 of the current nightmare is now well and truly over.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 pm

Third time lucky on the Pauls.

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm

I'm very sorry. I still think he was the right choice although we do have a problem up front. The football was infinitely better than last season and I'm convinced he'd have turned it round.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:00 pm

RRanger wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm
I'm very sorry. I still think he was the right choice although we do have a problem up front. The football was infinitely better than last season and I'm convinced he'd have turned it round.

Really, and how long would you have waited ?

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:17 pm

RRanger wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm
Quite frankly it doesn't mean a thing if your playing good football if your not at least winning a few games.

1 win in 14 league games isn't good enough, no matter what league your in or how much entertaining football your playing.

i really hoped it would have worked out for PH, but you can only give so much time for him to change it round, and no matter what PH did it wasn't even starting to change.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:53 pm

Listening to the phone in on the way home radio Suffolk were fairly convinced lambert will be the new man.
Shame about Paul Hurst but in the end it had to be done as he wasn't going to turn things around.

Not too worried about appointing lambert he is very attack minded