Mick Speaks Out.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Mick Speaks Out.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 am

Former boss Mick McCarthy says the section of the Town support who were hounded him out have “got what they deserved” and he has “no sympathy” with them following the Blues’ disastrous start to the season which has led to his successor Paul Hurst departing only 14 games into the Championship season.

“It’s sad for Paul Hurst,” McCarthy told talkSPORT2. “They did make a lot of changes – a lot of players left and maybe a couple of the signings haven’t worked out instantly.

“I think they were unlucky in a couple of games and it can change around so quickly and all of a sudden you’re on the slide. I’m not one to be talking too much about it to be honest.”

Reflecting on his time at Portman Road and the way it ended he added: “I had my spell there, I loved it, enjoyed it and some of them made their feelings known and it’s not worked out for them since I’ve left, has it?

“I’ll make it clear, it wasn’t everybody. It was a fair section of them and I had a real happy time there because there are a lot of good people and I feel for them.

“But I have to say, the ones that were hounding me for 18 months to two years, I’ve got no sympathy for them at all. They’ve got what they deserved.”
I must admit a part of me agrees with what MM says, the way some of the so called fans conducted themselves was nothing short of disgraceful, that said the time had come for change so maybe without the vile element it wouldn't have happened, who knows ?

Tangfastic

Re: Mick Speaks Out.

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:06 am

Definately the levels of abuse crossed a line. I think there’s an ‘numbskull’ element at every club. Where Mick could take responsibility is that he took exception too often to criticism and that led to a growing level of toxicity. Whether he’ll admit it or not, he did need the majority of the fans on his side or, at least, having a realistic appreciation of what he was doing. I think he could have let a lot of things go... but, at times, added fuel to the fire.

Even with the worrying situation now, I have no regrets we didn’t extend Mick’s contract. If Mick was still here, we’d have more points on the board, but it would still be the same moans and growing apathy. I think there were a lot who didn’t hound Mick out.... just quietly decided not to go watch the team anymore. He very rarely mentions those departing fans.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 am

No problem with MM comments, 100% fair. BUT to make those comments on the day of Beatties funeral massively lowers him in my estimations. I used to look back on his time fondly, but choosing to make them comments on that day? now I dislike him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:25 am

I think deep down, Mick knows, (even more so now) that he himself had to go. All he needs to do is remember what the budget was like and be reminded of that with what Hurst had to work with and expected to challenge with. He’ll never in a million years admit it, but he had to go. Whether he’s got sympathy or not makes no difference at all. Was only a matter of time before he f**king stirred that pot.

There are numbskulls at all clubs, but I suppose if everyone was “nice”, f*ck all would get done.

Lambo can actually gain legendary status if he manages to get ITFC up the table and possibly challenging....... the budget will be the same. Show them how it’s done Paul......., maybe?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 am

I’m sorry but this has been done to death! Compared to some clubs the “stick” that he got was tame in comparison.
Would anyone actually have noticed if it wasn’t the great Mick McCarthy? I don’t think so.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:34 am

How sad that MM even feels like he has to say anything. Why doesn’t he take the moral high ground and keep his mouth shut? That was always his problem. He was paid good money to work for US, and in the end he got bitter and childish. I have no regrets about him leaving, it was time and he had become stale in his approach to the football Ipswich played.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:45 am

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 am
I’m sorry but this has been done to death! Compared to some clubs the “stick” that he got was tame in comparison.
Would anyone actually have noticed if it wasn’t the great Mick McCarthy? I don’t think so.
Agreed... Mick isn’t dumb or naive... he knows how to play the media and the football world. From the outside, he’s an honest, straight-talking, no-nonsense football man ... but he also knows how to play that character for the benefit of his own reputation. These comments may have been relevant to him, but he’s just putting his name out there. He wants a job. A couple of weeks ago he was having a dig at Thierry Henry when the Villa job was up for grabs... just to put himself out there and grab some headlines.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:46 am

McCarthy is correct and why would you expect him to say anything else given the cr@p he had to endure. So time to move on now with Lambert, who IMO is a first class appointment. Problem for Paul will be finance. The negative comments about Lambert on social media are just hilarious. Loads of "numbskulls" out there

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:50 am

I think what we also have to remember is that in Mick's defence he was on a radio show where the questions were asked of him, it wasn't set up for Mick to specifically talk about ITFC so in true MM fashion he answered what was put to him how he deemed fit, if we want him to shut up talking about it we need everyone to stop fuelling the fire.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:09 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 am
No problem with MM comments, 100% fair. BUT to make those comments on the day of Beatties funeral massively lowers him in my estimations. I used to look back on his time fondly, but choosing to make them comments on that day? now I dislike him.
Agree a 100% with this his timing is disrespectful.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:19 am

I suppose at the end of the day, it’s the “oooooo let’s listen to this” culture out there that the media cater for and it would’ve always been on any tv/Radio stations mind to “nab” McCarthy sooner or later for his views on Paul Hursts and Ipswich Towns woeful season (to date).

For me, I’d expect a more inexperienced younger manager to take proper offence and stir pots several months later. Mick really should know the game and that there is that numbskull element that, as manager FFS, he needs to deal with. You should be familiar with the numbskull culture up here, Valleyroad. Jaysus man, I’ve been to your Paisley joint on many occasions, travelling with bus loads of numbskulls to be greeted by several thousand Paisley numbskulls. Ok, me and you are the exception to the rule, we are f**king awesome and stable people, ...,.., but it’s a numbskull culture in football. McCarthy needs a new, “Well, what could I do? My hands were tied” type attitude along with NOT KEEPING CELINA ON THE BENCH YA FKN TOOL!”
Oops. Numbskull-ness leaked out there.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:18 pm

He's so far up his own arse.

For a man who prides himself on his professionalism he sure has been affected by the mouthy minority. As has been said, he would've received far worse at other clubs and he could never see it as a few voicing their general frustrations after years of bad ownership and stagnation. He took it so personally that he's still digging at them and taking more pleasure in the current struggle because of them, than sharing the pain with the 'lot of good people'.

Lets face it Mick, you did a decent job in the circumstances, but you had no ambition, played unattractive football and demanded negative tactics. That may be fine, you may call that a success, but it's an entertainment business, fans = money and during your time they left in their droves. If you had done a quarter of the miraculous job you think you did, then the team wouldn't be at the foot of the table.

You did ok, nothing more, the club was only going further backwards with more mid table safety boring football, your time had come, now f*ck off and take your arrogant arse elsewhere.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:54 pm

As far as I'm concerned, MM brought about his own downfall. His arrogance, pig-headedness & inability to accept criticsm, along with the his 'dorn't get beat' tactics were more than sufficient to rile people. He spoke down to and patronized fans unlike any other Town manager I can remember.

MM was the one that got what he deserved. Interesting also that he remains unemployed.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:55 pm

That last piece was ridiculous to the point of being belligerent. McCarthy has a tantrum of sorts about fans giving him vitriol and castigation for near two years of his tenure, when even he must realize how sh*t it was and the team was on a downward spiral to mediocre garbage. Typical "too far up my own as*" attitude that is too familiar with McCarthy. The 'man' was the epitome of underachievement, of course people are going to take issue and berate your name.

McCarthy seems a vindictive and bitter individual following his exit here. Realize you were sh*t and take more concern is finding a new employer. That no club has taken him on in the time since would seem more than pure coincidence.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm surprised MM even has time to do radio talk shows with all those football clubs vying for his services! :lol:

Mr Reality

Post by Mr Reality » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:17 am

Shhhhhhhhhh mick, no one likes you

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am

I’m pretty sure he’ll pop up somewhere sometime soon when a suitable opportunity comes his way. I don’t think he’s finished with football yet.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:04 am
I’m pretty sure he’ll pop up somewhere sometime soon when a suitable opportunity comes his way. I don’t think he’s finished with football yet.
I hope so, at least then he will stop getting air time. I don't blame him by the way, hes just saying it as he sees it even if it does come across a bit bitter and at times deluded (claiming that 75-80% of fans would be happy to see him back here when on TV with Richard Keys over the weekend). But im sure he will get a job soon, and then he can get over all this and just focus his mind on something else, I think we all need that to be honest!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:35 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:18 am

I made exactly this observation on twtd, and was ridiculed for it ffs!

McCarthy got what he d3served in the end. Not tha5 I condone the aggressive actions of a few at Brentford that day, but McCarthy had lost the respect of the majority of Town fans long before that point. The issue I have is , the actions of half a dozen morons is being portrayed as “ Ipswich Town Fans” per sa, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

McCarthy would have been “ hounded out” at almost all other clubs waaay before he was at Town, and certainly been given a far rougher time by other fan bases than he “ suffered “ at PR. He can actually count himself lucky in many respects. The arse hole.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:55 pm
That last piece was ridiculous to the point of being belligerent. McCarthy has a tantrum of sorts about fans giving him vitriol and castigation for near two years of his tenure, when even he must realize how sh*t it was and the team was on a downward spiral to mediocre garbage. Typical "too far up my own as*" attitude that is too familiar with McCarthy. The 'man' was the epitome of underachievement, of course people are going to take issue and berate your name.

McCarthy seems a vindictive and bitter individual following his exit here. Realize you were sh*t and take more concern is finding a new employer. That no club has taken him on in the time since would seem more than pure coincidence.

Good pints there I feel. The biggest problem with McCarthy is he is SO arrogant that “ his way is the only way, and is an effective way, “, that (e will repeat this same formula at whatever Club he goes to. He’ ll steady the boat, make no mistake. But then he’s stuffed, because he isn’t capable of moving the team onto the next level. Why? Because he never reflects on his actions / interventions and therefore never learns, changes or adapts to situations. He is the perfect example of insanity .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm

I thought when you picked that bottle up outside the Griffin pub and lunged at him Liz was way OTT in my book.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:58 pm

Opinion alert......., (without going round & round) ..... Mick didn’t have cash to spend AND he brought some decent players to the club.
Regards the fans, ... He was like ANY manager when it comes to the fans and trying to defend himself.

Only a guy like Paul Lambert being “”successful””would justify saying McCarthy was below par at this club. NO ONE wants Lambert to fail. But if he does, then it’s just another pointer towards money.
You’ve all seen what League One money does. Paul Hurst is a good manager with League One money....., bought decent League One level players......, but that’s where it all falls down.

I do agree Mick McCarthy had to go, and something else had to be tried..... definitely, 100%.
But to say he’s “sh*te”? Well to use his term...... that’s “bonkers”.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm

McCarthy wasn’t sh*te at all. Unfortunately he wasn’t supported financially by the boss, did the best he could with the limited resources he had to work with, took stick for the type of sh*te football he was able to deliver with the resources he had, and ultimately retaliated against the fans who criticised him for the type of football his team played.

Consistent throughout, I blame Evans for this not McCarthy, and had Evans supported him in the same way he did Roy Keane in my opinion we’d now be playing in the Premier League in the place of either Burnley or Watford.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm
......and had Evans supported him in the same way he did Roy Keane in my opinion we’d now be playing in the Premier League in the place of either Burnley or Watford.
I suppose we will never know...... but ^^^^^ completely agree.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

i think any reasonable Ipswich fan with a brain would say that Evans biggest mistake in all his time here is not backing Mick when things were going well. I wouldn't say he is a sh*te manager, but I didn't want to watch it anymore regardless of whether it kept us afloat a bit longer. The way things happened in last 2 years there is now a bittnerness about it, from both sides. If it is true that Evans is considering giving £10m to Lambert to bolster squad you have to question how that makes sense when if he had given Mick £2-3m in that season that may have been enough to keep us going.

So I agree that Evans is to blame mostly, but most of all I just wish we could all stop talking about Mick and him about us, I guess that wont stop until he gets another job, I don't think that will be too far away now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:55 am

While it is immensely important (and the most important) that Lambert does well and is hopefully funded....... from now until the year Dot, you’ll never stop fans of any club talking about the managers of the past. In pubs or forums. There is nothing better than an ice cold pint, packet o bacon crisps and a “McCarthy eh? If only he had more dough” chat!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 pm

If Mick wanted that money that badly.... he should have been in Evans’ ear and given him an ultimatum. Either he backs him or he’s off. Didn’t see that at all. In fact, Mick seemed pretty content treading water, getting handsomely paid, left to do whatever he wanted and enjoying the fact that the football world thought he was working miracles on a shoestring. The only thing he didn’t quite take into account was he expected every fan to love him and be thankful he was here. If wasn’t for those pesky fans ... he would have got away with it.

We’ll never know if with more money he would have got us promoted. Definitely more chance.... but fans also remember home games against rock bottom Rotherham and Burton where we didn’t have any excuse about lack of resources .... and we showed absolutely no intent to win or play football. With money, Mick would still be trying firstly not to lose games ... I wouldn’t say promotion would be a certainty with that game plan.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am
i think any reasonable Ipswich fan with a brain would say that Evans biggest mistake in all his time here is not backing Mick when things were going well. I wouldn't say he is a sh*te manager, but I didn't want to watch it anymore regardless of whether it kept us afloat a bit longer. The way things happened in last 2 years there is now a bittnerness about it, from both sides. If it is true that Evans is considering giving £10m to Lambert to bolster squad you have to question how that makes sense when if he had given Mick £2-3m in that season that may have been enough to keep us going.

So I agree that Evans is to blame mostly, but most of all I just wish we could all stop talking about Mick and him about us, I guess that wont stop until he gets another job, I don't think that will be too far away now.
That rules out a large percentage.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:13 pm
charlton837 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:41 am

That rules out a large percentage.

Possibly Mike but Charlton certainly hit the nail on the head.

Certainly feel if more funds came forward we would not be where we are now, but got to say i feel our present manager with luck, support and fans giving him time could get us close to what we all want

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:42 pm

Trouble is we all know it but it aint ever gonna change, I think we've actually spoken about this a lot more than MM.