Nodge fans perspective: Lambert & Town

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Nodge fans perspective: Lambert & Town

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:08 pm

Posted by a nodge fan on twtd ....... worth a read

Just interested in your thoughts over this appointment that has divided your fan base perhaps a little, and also wanted to make a few comments about Lambert's style.

Firstly a lot of Town fans seem to think Lambert has failed ever since he left Norwich. This isn't really true - he has taken on some really tough projects, possibly some that others would not take on, and he has largely achieved the goals he was originally tasked with. His Ipswich project is (no disrespect here) equally as tough as some of those.

At Wolves he did not have decision making on new signings, and left as he wanted to have that control I believe.

Secondly, it's been mentioned that he likes a target man, and he does like someone to hold the ball up. Surprisingly you don't seem to have an ideal candidate for this.

I'm surprised because Hurst had Carlton Morris on loan from us last season, a youngster yes, and not a prolific goal scorer - but a great at holding the ball and bringing other players into the game which is why he played so many games for Shrewsbury last season - I just find that odd!

Thirdly, as you all know (hilarious) we lost our first game in L1 to Colchester 7-1. A poor defence at the time.

As soon as Lambert came in, a certain Mr Wes Hoolahan was not even in our squad! A luxury that couldn't be afforded until our defence was sorted out! So I think there is no doubt Lambert will start to sort your defence out first, and then look at other areas.

Lambert's style, once the defence was sorted, was all attack and go out to win every game, a passing style and not a long ball style.. I don't think that will change with you, once the defence is sorted.

I think he will keep you up, and then who knows.

My question is do you think your fans have enough patience to stick with him, or will he get boo's after maybe two losses?

Also, if you did go down, would it be his fault? Would you back him to get you back up again, or want him sacked?

Interesting times, and East Anglian football history in the making.

Me - I hope you stay up, but still lose the derby! But good luck in this new phase of ITFC history - who knows - we might one day be back in the Prem together where both Clubs belong!

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Nodge fans perspective: Lambert & Town

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:24 pm

Yep, that is indeed and very good read. A very level headed Norwich fan and some very good views on how he sees how Lambert could change things for ITFC comparing his time at Ncfc.

But, Nodge fan........, both teams belong in the EPL? No. Both really don’t. Both are soooooooo far behind that it’s arguably unreachable now without massive investment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Yes a good read from a fan with brains for once, I like the sound of what to expect from Lambert, assuming this guy has it right.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Fair enough he made an impartial and reasoned analysis, there can be no dispute the intentions were honorable. It would have to be a small minority to berate Lambert should two losses come to pass as stated, and naturally both teams will find themselves in the EPL once more, it is only a matter of time and vigilance.

What Lambert requires is money to spend and the right acquisitions that cash can afford to enable the team to remain competitive. Not to shoot down anyone before they've even started but was skeptical about Hurst, McCarthy, Keane and Jewell once they were respectively appointed. Time dictated those initial concerns were justified but fact of the matter is Lambert has a substantial task ahead in a number of areas. Allow it time and review when the need arises, it's all anyone can expect from the situation.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:08 pm
Posted by a nodge fan on twtd ....... worth a read

Just interested in your thoughts over this appointment that has divided your fan base perhaps a little, and also wanted to make a few comments about Lambert's style.

Firstly a lot of Town fans seem to think Lambert has failed ever since he left Norwich. This isn't really true - he has taken on some really tough projects, possibly some that others would not take on, and he has largely achieved the goals he was originally tasked with. His Ipswich project is (no disrespect here) equally as tough as some of those.

At Wolves he did not have decision making on new signings, and left as he wanted to have that control I believe.

Secondly, it's been mentioned that he likes a target man, and he does like someone to hold the ball up. Surprisingly you don't seem to have an ideal candidate for this.

I'm surprised because Hurst had Carlton Morris on loan from us last season, a youngster yes, and not a prolific goal scorer - but a great at holding the ball and bringing other players into the game which is why he played so many games for Shrewsbury last season - I just find that odd!

Thirdly, as you all know (hilarious) we lost our first game in L1 to Colchester 7-1. A poor defence at the time.

As soon as Lambert came in, a certain Mr Wes Hoolahan was not even in our squad! A luxury that couldn't be afforded until our defence was sorted out! So I think there is no doubt Lambert will start to sort your defence out first, and then look at other areas.

Lambert's style, once the defence was sorted, was all attack and go out to win every game, a passing style and not a long ball style.. I don't think that will change with you, once the defence is sorted.

I think he will keep you up, and then who knows.

My question is do you think your fans have enough patience to stick with him, or will he get boo's after maybe two losses?

Also, if you did go down, would it be his fault? Would you back him to get you back up again, or want him sacked?

Interesting times, and East Anglian football history in the making.

Me - I hope you stay up, but still lose the derby! But good luck in this new phase of ITFC history - who knows - we might one day be back in the Prem together where both Clubs belong!
Great post and covers everything. Good to see someone finally recognize the gigs that Lambert has had. I think he's a great appointment for Ipswich but the fans need to be patient and the chairman has to back him. Otherwise there is not a lot he can achieve.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Sensible post. He must be the smartest man in Norwich...is he the mayor? :lol:

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:22 pm

A nice read from a Norwich Fan with intelligence :)

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Good post by the fan. I agree with what he is saying. I still see the 9-1 drubbing they gave us under Lambert and await, with relish, the return favor.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:47 pm
Good post by the fan. I agree with what he is saying. I still see the 9-1 drubbing they gave us under Lambert and await, with relish, the return favor.

What 9-1 drubbing? the only team to put 9 passed us in my lifetime is Man U

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:22 pm

aggregate score that year

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:09 pm

Wasn’t it 9-2 on aggregate? Typical Norwich fan exaggerating.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:55 am

Hey! Norwich fan?? :D

You may be right. Clearly, it wasn't nearly as bad as what I remember :roll: