Chambers views

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Chambers views

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:06 pm

charlton837

Re: Chambers views

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm

some very interesting comments in there. For sure there were things under Hurst he wasn't happy about, but being the person he is he stops short at throwing Hurst under a bus. When he was asked if he felt Hurst would make a good manager in future his answer was something like he has been successful wherever he has been before, that to me sounds like he isn't sure at this level.

For me the comments I agree most about are the ones about the youngsters, he is completely right when talking about Nydam.

I always enjoy reading his interviews as he is straight down the middle honest in what he says. He is also right about needing to change the atmosphere at PR, I think on Saturday the crowd has to back the team from start to finish and lets hope we get something in return, 3 points hopefully!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 pm

An excellent interview with an excellent captain, Chambers is 100% Town through and through and a great captain, he is honest and forthright, like you Charlton I picked up on the bit about the way the kids have been treated, it is what we have all said from day one, bloody ridiculous decisions by Hurst and it weakened the squad no end, Morris, Woolfenden, Nydam and even Cotter are all easily good enough to contribute to the first team, anyone who saw the pre season games will know Nydam was the stand out performer.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm

“I think the squad we have here now is better than the one we had in 2012”

Interesting. There is undoubtably a lot of young talent but not many would agree with that.

It’ll be fascinating to see how the team plays on Saturday. How far can organisation and self-belief take us?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:11 pm

I actually do agree with it though, I saw the excellent post Charnwood put up with the different squads and I prefer our current one without a doubt.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 pm

There’s so much untapped talent Mike - Dozzell, Downes, the U23s are top of their league aren’t they? Amazing if P.L. can organise it all and start winning games.

Upfront is an interesting conparison and maybe where we don’t have comparable firepower. Thanks to Charnwood’s post we can compare 2012’s:

DJ Campbell, / Grant Ward
Daryl Murphy , / Freddie Sears

With what we have now. Well it’s true Murphy hadn’t metamorphosised into a goal machine at this point...so who knows who will suddenly find some form now?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 pm

We also have Harrison & Jackson, not to mention Ben Morris so while they are not yet the answer it's still on a par for me.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Ok and Lankester and maybe even Jon Walters

Here’s hoping. Amazing what a couple of solid performances and some points could do.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:52 pm

I think overall our current squad is stronger in most areas than the 2012 one (and we had some problems with players attitude at that time). For me the only area we are weaker on than 2012 is strikers. Our midfield options are certainly better than what was on offer when MM joined.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:37 pm
We also have Harrison & Jackson, not to mention Ben Morris so while they are not yet the answer it's still on a par for me.
Ben Morris is the only youngster nowhere near good enough. He won’t be a pro footballer in 3 years time...
Folami has ability tho, get him involved again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Morris will surprise you when he returns

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 pm
Morris will surprise you when he returns
:lol:

£20 says he doesn’t even make 10 starts for town.....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:01 pm

If you mean ever you would lose your money

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:29 am

These loans for our kids are great in theory... give them game time in competitive football so they’re match-hardened for Town later on.

Not sure about Morris... nice cameo late on against Blackburn on the first day of the season, but not getting any minutes in a League 2 team. I think we need a more physical striker than Morriss.... I can’t see he’s the answer at the moment. Folami looks like he’s more physically able to fit the bill.

Nydam was the one which pissed me off most. An energetic, tidy player who seemed ready to step up. Seeing how our midfield has never had control of a game, surely he could have been given a chance here. I think Hurst was factoring on the Sicknote Three ( Adeyemi, Huws, Bishop) being available and ahead of Nydam. Seeing as we’ve used 27 or 28 players already without those three, then we’ve got far too many players on the books.

The one who’s getting most game time is Emmanuel in League 1. By January, he’ll have a season and a half in League 1 on loan . We should know by January if he’s ready for the Championship or maybe we offload / keep on loan. I would have preferred him to Spence TBH this season. It’s not as if RB is a nailed-down position here.

Woolfys been benched for the last two games.... just hope he starts getting some games.

Come January... maybe Fulham will look for another club for Edun as he’s not getting a look in here. And might as well offload Graham, unless Lambo can work some magic on him. We need to create squad space to bring in loanees come January.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Interesting. There is undoubtably a lot of young talent but not many would agree with that.

It’ll be fascinating to see how the team plays on Saturday. How far can organisation and self-belief take us?

As club captain Luke Chambers simply has no option but to say the current squad is better than the one in 2012, if he didn’t his position would be untenable. His role is to team build, motivate and improve confidence, any negativity would be unacceptable.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:00 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

As club captain Luke Chambers simply has no option but to say the current squad is better than the one in 2012, if he didn’t his position would be untenable. His role is to team build, motivate and improve confidence, any negativity would be unacceptable.
He certainly can’t say it’s worse, but I don’t think he has to say it’s better. He could just not comment on the relative strengths of the two sides. My guess is he’s saying that because he means it. If that’s true that’s a good thing, even if he’s wrong - at least he’s got confidence going forward.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:36 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:00 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:30 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

He certainly can’t say it’s worse, but I don’t think he has to say it’s better. He could just not comment on the relative strengths of the two sides. My guess is he’s saying that because he means it. If that’s true that’s a good thing, even if he’s wrong - at least he’s got confidence going forward.
He could just “not comment” Johnny but that’s not what leaders do, as a leader he’s there to get the best out of the team and make them believe anything is possible, sometimes that includes making them think they’re better than what they are. That’s the psychology of creating a winning mentality and I think that’s what Chambers is doing.
Of course we’re all guessing cos we don’t really know but that’s my opinion for what it’s worth.