Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

This will be interesting .....

Ipswich Win
73%
Preston Win
No votes
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:09 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Cheers Mike

So some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning? Sounds good
Some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning. Sounds like the sex doll I ordered.
LMAO......As long as it has Two up front and One in the Hole you'll be fine.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:33 pm

:D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Thanks for the report Mike which at last includes some up beat comments which gives us all hope albeit still faint.

Although Paul Lambert would never have been my first choice to follow McCarthy last summer, I think Evans has done well to acquire his services given our current position, and i do think he has the necessary experience to keep us up as long as he can keep the players believing in themselves and upping their game. Already he appears to have demonstrated he can see something Paul Hurst missed in identifying Jordon Roberts value to the team, and I think had he been appointed in August I don’t think we’d be in the position we are now.

As I’ve said many times before I think the Championship is a unique League and is best served by experienced managers not those still learning their trade, I think Paul Lambert is well suited and hopefully he’ll demonstrate this in the January transfer window when most definitely he will need to improve our strike force, I would imagine he’s already drawing up a short list of targets to approach.

As long as we can overtake 3 teams above us that’s all we need to set our sites on, and as far as I’m concerned there are at least half a dozen teams above us we should be able to reel in as long as we can start scoring a few goals and start thinking about two in a game and not our regular one at best which has only been exceeded three times in 16 games which simply isn’t good enough.

Come on Paul, we’re all behind you and hopeful that you can succeed where your predecessor failed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Cheers Mike

So some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning? Sounds good
Some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning. Sounds like the sex doll I ordered.
:lol: Superb!

Excellent, uplifting report, Mike. Cheers.

Your complete last paragraph regarding Hurst, Hallam, ....... really hoping it’s not “new manager” syndrome and the players didn’t just up their game for Lambert for the week! Hoping it genuinely was 90 minutes worth of what’s to come....... not the one off!

Keep on getting it sorted, PL.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:41 am

One or two points to cover. Seen various reports, some insist it was a display of some merit, others adamant issues remain and relegation concerns come to the fore. Attendance seems disappointing, new manager comes in, certain things are expected : and you got a half-empty stadium. Would have expected considerably more than the 15,000 as widely reported.

Appears there were determination and belief evident, but can't escape the one victory statistic remaining intact hitherto this campaign following yesterday's fixture. Lambert has a job of epic proportion in front of him to steady the club although in truth there seemed a number of positives to take from the game even if an eventual victory did not come to pass.

The Division table as it stands, is, in so many words, "regrettable to view".

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:26 am

That ^ ^ ^ was like a closing statement in a trial, Saint. From now on, you can be Judge Judy.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:25 pm

I thought we played pretty well all things considered. I thought the defence was much tighter and more organized than it has been. Pennington played really well (and what a bloody tackle that was near the end of the match), for me Chambers did OK but got caught on the turn a couple of times, he really has very little pace which can expose him at times, but I thought he led the team well in the main. Like Mike one thing that pleased me is that clearly we tried playing the ball on the floor into the middle, there was little hoofing from the back (apart from Knudsen), add to that we actually had midfielders trying to break into the box it gave us a bit of extra threat.

We are clearly still lacking in terms of a goalscorer and strikers in general, I thought Roberts did pretty well actually at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, there was a lot of endeavor and effort at the top of the pitch but perhaps a bit of quality lacking.

Actually the most pleasing (and surprising) thing for me was watching Paul Lamberts enthusiasm on the touchline, he was kicking and heading every ball, but also giving our players instructions all the way through, whether that be positionally or giving players praise when they did something well. He did that the whole 90+ minutes and that is a good sign, this team desperately needs that guidance. I thought he also made an effort to wave to all the stands and tried to get the fans involved, at one point he was geeing on the fans when we were up the pitch winning a corner, I think he realizes he needs to get this club back connected with its fan base again. The praise for the fans at the end is no coincidence, I think PL has a plan to get us all back on board, ultimately we need results too, weve given ourselves a mountain to climb but we stand a better chance now than we did a couple of weeks ago.