Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

This will be interesting .....

Ipswich Win
73%
Preston Win
No votes
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

MasseyFerguson

Re: Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm
Results really gone against us today with wins for Hull City and Reading leaving us 5 points adrift at the bottom. ☹️

Our trip to Reading next Saturday all of a sudden gains in importance 🙏
Yes. We're starting to lose touch in spite of what seems to have been a better performance. Reading looks like a must win, even this early in the season.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Performance, performance, performance. We had our fair share under Hurst too, I can't help but feel that Waghorn would've netted a bagful by now. All of a sudden Sears is our best striker? Nothing against the bloke, but not so long ago people were talking like they were shocked anyone would pay him to play football!

We have the worst attack in the championship (other than Bolton apparently). I know some have said that Lambert has to come in and sure up the defence, but I see a bigger issue at the other end of the pitch, I don't see where the goals come from. We may have been looking dangerous today, but we still had to rely on a penalty to score.

Oh and Preston have the worst defence in the league on paper, 4 more conceeded than us and only equal with Sheff Wed after they got dicked by Norwich today.

I'm very optimistic about Lambert, but he has so much to do, it's not going to be the quick fix morale boost some expected. Eyes on Evans now too.
Last edited by Ricco on Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:30 pm

So frustrated at the end result, very good for 75 mins, yet again the Red card kinda worked against us. Sorry but for me another piece of rank bad goalkeeping for the Preston equaliser, woeful positioning.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I'm watching stats only but lots of chances created is a definite improvement. We obviously dominated this one.

Real change will take time. Important not to lose today and important to see an improvement in our contribution to games. Other weekends we will pick up points and the others around all lose. There may be a 5 point gap but above us there is a growing cluster of teams.

Let's get the win against Reading and see where that takes us.....

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:30 pm
So frustrated at the end result, very good for 75 mins, yet again the Red card kinda worked against us. Sorry but for me another piece of rank bad goalkeeping for the Preston equaliser, woeful positioning.
Yes, a handling error or a misjudgement is one thing, that's a mistake, what Bart did today was far worse, it's a sign of a huge lack in confidence, he can't even back his positioning at a set piece. You learn that when you're 11, when a keeper is having these issues in his 30s, that's a real concern.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:35 pm

Much better performance for 70 mins.

With 20 plus minutes to go against ten men....why can’t we force more chances?

Gutted.... but far more desire from the players. Roberts did bloody well as a target striker... who saw that?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:46 pm

Hopefully Lambert can recall Nydam. Very good performance for StJ in their 1-0 win at Easter Road today. Smacked a cracker off the bar first half and should’ve scored near HT with a decent header. He done nothing special 2nd half and was subbed around 70mins, but that was probably because Tommy Wright completely changed their shape. Hopefully he can get himself into an Ipswich starting 11 sooner rather than later.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for that Marko, good to hear

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:21 pm

Whatever you do, don’t look at the table today. Trust me!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Well I think Lambert pulled out a decent performance from the team in just a few days training. Certaintly more intent up front and in midfield... without creating too many chances.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Too late,9.

Feckin depressing.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm

I was certainly much more impressed with that performance. We looked a lot more confident all over the pitch, and deserved something more than a point in my humble opinion.

As most have said, our real issue is up front. Sears worked his socks off and Roberts looked like a hard worker, but neither are the big striker we need if we 8ntend playing down the wings like we did today. We need a new Daryl Murphy urgently.

Positive performance, mediocre result, but gives me at least some hope we can find a miracle before the end of the season.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Shame we could not get the win by all accounts better than they have been so that's positive. 42 pts required from 30 games.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 pm

A real shame Derick, but signs of improvement and I think we should take heart from that.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm

First game in a long long while can honestly say so enjoyable. I feel the team really looked like a team. Shame didn't win. All in all it is something to build on but we need games like these to win

Did everything but Win

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 pm

Today we looked like a TEAM.

There was ENERGY and high pressing all over the pitch, (all the things absent from Hursts teams , which he said he’d bring to PR and didn’t).

Sears, played like a man reborn today. Lovely to see this much maligned player starting to believe in himself again.

ROBERTS!!! ... just wtf was Hurst thinking of not playing him? He won so much in the air, and provided that focus for us up front. He linked very well in a front three pronged attack with Sears and Edwards. I hope Lambert sticks with this combination.

Hurst? I hope you’re bloody watching mate, because God knows what you and Doig did to this squad, but Lambert has taken just 5 DAYS, to create a team, that attacked, pressed high up the pitch, AND defended set pieces, where you were incapable of achieving this in 15 games!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 pm

There was ENERGY and high pressing all over the pitch, (all the things absent from Hursts teams , which he said he’d bring to PR and didn’t).

Sears, played like a man reborn today. Lovely to see this much maligned player starting to believe in himself again.

ROBERTS!!! ... just wtf was Hurst thinking of not playing him? He won so much in the air, and provided that focus for us up front. He linked very well in a front three pronged attack with Sears and Edwards. I hope Lambert sticks with this combination.

Hurst? I hope you’re bloody watching mate, because God knows what you and Doig did to this squad, but Lambert has taken just 5 DAYS, to create a team, that attacked, pressed high up the pitch, AND defended set pieces, where you were incapable of achieving this in 15 games!
Spot on, Couldn't really agree more. We drew but the performance was a real winner

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:37 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:16 pm

This makes good reading Liz and bodes well for the rest of the season. No point chastising Paul Hurst now he’s gone, sad thing is he should never have been appointed and this was a costly mistake made by Marcus Evans simply trying to save money by hiring a cheaper option. I just hope we don’t pay the ultimate price for this error of judgement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:00 am

It has only been Five short days that Paul Lambert and his staff have had to work with the players but already their effect on the team was very much there for all to see at Portman Road yesterday. As HallamBlue has said we looked every bit a team again, something we have not looked for a very very long time. So many things that have been missing from most of our performances were evident as we outplayed Preston for Three Quarters of the game, we came out of the blocks on the front foot with a good tempo, neat passing moves, plenty of energy, willing runners where before we had nobody showing for the ball, players who are normally scared to make a pass looking for the right ball and not just hoofing it or making a Two yard sideways ball, we pressed them well and closed them down, we defended set pieces well in the main and it just looked like the players actually knew what their job was and they did it.

Seeing Jordan Roberts in the team was pleasing for me as I had wondered what the lad had done wrong to be frozen out for so long without getting a chance, having seen him come on late at Rotherham he did One thing alone in that match which impressed me and ultimately should have won us a match winning penalty only for the Ref to get it wrong and again at Braintree Pre season he was asked to lead the line alone which again I thought he did well.

It was in fact Roberts who had the first real effort of the game, following a bright start by Town who had pressed the visitors back in the early minutes it was Roberts who sent a freekick crashing into the wall, shortly after Bart was called upon to make the games first save, this he did comfortably, palming away a shot that was not really troubling him. Town's play was very energetic with Sears & Roberts working so hard and making runs, the latter winning a few early flick on's when required. At the back Pennington & Chambers were looking solid and in control, Chambers even played a couple of good threaded passes through the Midfield and to a teammate, unheard of ! Pleasing for me was the way in which we were being called upon to defend some set pieces, normally it is panic stations but we looked more decisive and assured, Knudsen had already defended an earlier one really well from an awkward position and Pennington, Chambo and Chalobah were also doing good work back in our own box.

Flynn Downes, my MOTM last week was having another very good game, battling away in Midfield and winning most if not all of his tackles, picking up lots of loose ball and trying to get us on the front foot, on the Right Edwards was often being used as the outlet to try to get us into dangerous areas and the welshman is never afraid to run at them and make things happen. Town were getting in lots of good positions and creating openings but as has been the case not that many chances on goal. As the game was edging towards HT it was still the Town that were going forward most of the time, Downes was a pivotal part of this as was Sears who's workrate was phenomenal, debutant Roberts was also involved in so much of what we were doing in attack and had offered something that has been lacking from Harrison & Jackson in previous games. Just on HT we finally get a break as we are awarded a penalty for the keepers foul on Roberts who had benefitted from sears harrying the keeper into an error and who was then forced to bring down Roberts, in my mind and most other peoples it should have been Red but the ref decided on yellow, thankfully after a lengthy delay Freddie kept his cool to put the spot kick away and give us a deserved lead right on HT.

The second half started with pretty much more of the same from Town, the opening few minutes were pretty even but it wasn't long before we again assumed control and went looking for a second, what did stand out for me was how we had runners from deep trying to get into the box, Chalobah, Downes and even Skuse all arriving in the area at some point, again this has been a feature sadly lacking all season. It was from one of these runs that Chalobah came close to making it 2-0, a surging run forward took him past a defender or Two before unleashing a shot that sailed a bit too high of the goal frame, none the less it was a decent effort. To be fair Preston were having a few half chances come their way too but Bart was rarely seriously tested and some good defending from the CB's was keeping Preston in check.

Such is the way things go for us these days Preston find a leveller from nowhere, a freekick is awarded just on the edge of the box and from right down the other end Hallam and myself said where the guy was going to put it, the wall was to the right but so was Bart !! couldn't even see him and there was a massive gap that i think I could have found and sure enough Gallagher found it too, gutting to say the least and not deserved. Town for the Third time this season found themselves up against Ten men as Maxwell in the Preston goal was sent off for another lunge at a Town player, Gallagher having to go in goal as all their subs had already come on. Once again it seemed to upset us more than them and no matter how we tried in that final Twenty minutes we just could not test the stand in goalie enough.

Incredibly in the last few moments of the game both sides came close to winning it, firstly we had a world class tackle from Pennington to thank for keeping us level, with Town pushing for a winner themselves we are nearly caught on the break but Pennington's tackle was superb, a Maldini or Beckenbaur would have been proud of it, then at the other end we finally get a good effort on target to test Gallagher, substitue Rowe hitting a rasping drive that was sailing in under the bar, somehow the stand in keeper threw an arm into the air to clear it away with what to be fair was a stunning save. That really was to prove to be the final real chance at either end and once again another game we should have won ends all square but the signs were good and there was some excellent individual performances yesterday but perhaps even more importantly it was a good team performance too with lots of positives to take from it.

Bart....(5) I'm sorry but for me another error which has yet again cost us a win, dodgy kicking & distribution the norm too.

Spence....(6) More solid than normal and got forward well at times, One or two decent crosses into the area.

Chambers...(7) Looked up for it from the off and put in a real shift, won lots of headers and made some telling passes, yes passes !!!!!

Pennington...(8) Excellent game from the loanee, that tackle alone was superb defending but did so much more too, would love to sign him.

Knudsen...(6) Much better yesterday, saw none of this going AWOL and got his head on a couple of set pieces to clear danger.

Skuse...(6) Still not sure how fit he is but protected the back Four OK and also got forward once or Twice, much more to come when fully fit.

Chalobah...(7) If only this boy could pass a ball, was really up for it as always and had one good effort on goal, worked so hard,

Downes.... (8) MOTM for the second week running for me, great effort and won so much ball, passes were tidy and compact and was assigned as our set piece taker which he did well, Lambert was impressed and I can see why, growing into a fine player that we all expected.

Edwards...(6) For me he has to be in the team even though he will have better days, always looking to run at defenders, takes a fair bit of stick.

Sears....(8) Could so easily have been my MOTM, he covered every blade of grass and worked his socks off, rewarded with the goal, the phoenix is rising.

Roberts...(8) What a revelation, what the hell did Hurst not see that we all did yesterday, led the line so well, won numerous headers, closed down everything and looked up for it all game, won us the penalty with his quick thinking, a bonus in the weeks ahead.

SUBS :-

Rowe (6) Looked lively when he came on and so nearly hit the winner with his rasping volley, another who has not been given a chance.

Jackson (6) Little time to impress but made the run which resulted in their red card

Dozzell (5) Only on for a few minutes and not sure he really saw the ball much at all, a big part to play going forward.

Yes we are now Five points behind the Three teams immediately above us which is a concern, if it was under Paul Hurst I would be saying we are doomed, however I saw enough yesterday to know that with a bit more time working with the players Lambert will have us winning games, he said the players could not have done anymore and he is right, the whole occasion felt different, the fans were loud and fantastic, the players all celebrating the goal, sears geeing up the North stand at the award of a corner and of course so many promising signs on the pitch, seeing Lambert on his feet in the technical area all game and shouting instructions while so animated showed me he cares very much. Rome was not built in a day but the footings are very much in place for the building to begin. Keep the faith. COYB'S

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks, Mike, for the excellent report again.

Real pity we didn’t go on to win this. Really surprised about the inclusion of Roberts, but he was winning his share of headers and working well with Freddie.

Downes was my MOTM as well. It’s as if he sees this as an opportunity to cement himself in the team... and he’s taken on the responsibility. Looks like Lambert believes in him, too. Never saw him as a corner taker.... but he was getting the ball in the right area and at least making Preston defend. How many corners have we wasted this season?

Good to see the team up for it. Sears doesn’t seem like a lonely peripheral figure anymore... he looks like a senior player who feels he belongs in the team. If Sears was, at one stage this season, a fourth choice striker .... then Roberts was a sixth or seventh choice. Credit to Lambert for seeing that and squeezing out a performance in so little time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 am

Spot on Tang, that is a good point about Sears, he actually looks like he thinks he belongs in the team, I can't hide my feelings where Sears is concerned but he is doing all that can be asked of him more recently and looks an asset again, Roberts for me was superb but Downes is blossoming into what I thought he would be at the start of last season.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:54 am

Super positive report thanks Mike, appreciated as always.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for the report Mike. PL has obviously made some swift and insightful changes and despite being five points adrift there is hope, especially if we can swing three points at Reading.

Might try and make that one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 am

Cheers chaps, if Reading is anything like last season it would be well worth going for sure.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:35 am

A much improved performance and unlucky not to win by the sounds of it.
Couldn't make the game so your report is appreciated Mike. Will be good to see an unchanged side against Reading although not sure about Bart.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 am

Those at the game - did they play a 442 or 451? Who played wide and who was upfront? Cheers

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:09 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 am
Those at the game - did they play a 442 or 451? Who played wide and who was upfront? Cheers
Well it was quoted as a 4-1-4-1 but for me it was a 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 Roberts being the central Striker with Sears and Edwards wider of the front Three, Skuse was deep in front of our back four with Chalobah and Downes in front of him.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Cheers Mike

So some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning? Sounds good

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Cheers Mike

So some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning? Sounds good
Yes, I thought we held our shape well yesterday for the most part, at times this season it has been an absolute shambles with no shape whatsoever.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Cheers Mike

Some flexibility combined with clear instructions on positioning. Sounds like the sex doll I ordered.