Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

This will be interesting .....

Ipswich Win
73%
Preston Win
No votes
Draw
27%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:46 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Preston North End Image

Saturday 3rd November 2018 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

The Season Starts Here

So here we go again, the start of a new era take Two. I have to say the way in which the majority of Town fans have received the arrival of Paul Lambert has pleased me no end, it would have been all to easy for the masses to object to a former Norwich manager crossing the great divide but quite the opposite seems to be the case, yes you will always get a few, dare I say it, "Numbskulls" that will give it large about every little thing that Lambert gets wrong but I think the severity of the situation is not lost on most of a Blue persuasion and therefore they see the arrival of Lambert as something of a coup and the answer to our prayers at this difficult time.

The opening press conference came across very positive and bullish to the task ahead and while the size of the job is not lost on the new manager he has a calming assurance and confidence about him that can only instill belief that he has what it takes to get us out of the mire, I have to put my hands up and say had I made a list of potential replacements for Paul Hurst, Paul Lambert would most definitely not have been on it, probably due to the rivalry thing, you tend to not even let your mind go there but listening to him speak of making the club a happy place to be again and playing football the right way you cannot help but be sucked into it.

Things do not change overnight though and these next Ten games that take us to the end of the year and the transfer window opening are massive, it is these games that will determine our fate, I truly believe that and if we can stay in touch I think we will claw our way out of trouble with the aid of some team strengthening in January, however the players have to play their part, the new boss can only do so much, it is down to the players to step up and perform which if we are honest they just haven't done consistently enough, cutting out the calamitous individual errors would be a major plus and give us a chance, I don't think too many of the squad can look at themselves and say with any conviction that our plight is not down to them, in fact I cannot think of anyone that comes into that category. We ALL have to stand together and in that scenario we gain strength from a togetherness which at times, especially at home is sadly lacking, if we can bring some of that spirit that we have within the away support we would have an even better chance of survival, turn on the manager because he wasn't your choice and be prepared for the potential consequences, it would be grim.

Bring Back The Kids

Having read captain Luke Chambers comments in the recent interview he gave I think we can safely say one big error on the part of Paul Hurst was the way in which he shipped out several of the up and coming youngsters who were then starting to look the part, it surprised us all at the time and the answers Chambo gave to the questions put to him make it abundantly clear that it wasn't just us fans who were perplexed by it and who think it was wrong. I am not One Hundred percent sure but I believe they can all be brought back at the end of the year and seeing as none of them are getting much game time I would think that is what will happen. Seeing Woolfenden at Reading at the end of last season and Nydam in pre season really does have you scratching your head at Hurst's actions but for now we are where we are with it and again we need to see through these next Ten games.

The Next Ten

Speaking of the next Ten games, what do most people see as an acceptable haul of points ? Given our position in the league it really has to be a few or we are stuffed, looking at the games in depth I think we have a chance in a few of them, in order they are :- PNE (H), Reading (A), WBA (H), Bristol City (H), Forest (A), Stoke (A), Wigan (H), Sheffield Utd (H), QPR (A) and Middlesbrough (A). So thats Thirty points on offer and I have made it we will get around Fourteen, just under half, that would put us on Twenty Three points with Twenty One games to go meaning we would still need another say Twenty Five points from a possible Sixty Three, of course it never pans out the way you think it will but the task in hand looks huge and if I am honest I think it may be a bit too much for us. Then again we have Paul Lambert !!!

This really Is Huge

This game is massive, we have to win it, it's that simple, new manager syndrome and all the expectancy that goes with it should give everyone a lift, hopefully the crowd will be a bit bigger and as vociferous as we were at Millwall despite the performance, I ahve said it many times we have to make Portman Road a cauldron again, I am sick of the whinging comments like "we haven't had anything to shout about for seventeen seasons" get over it FFS and support YOUR TEAM, thick and thin and all that ?? We have something to support now, a new direction with a new man at the helm, togetherness is the key and so very vital, we can make a difference, I am just not totally convinced our fan base want it enough if I am honest. Preston are in a good run of form so it's no walk in the park despite their league position but a win for us sees us a mere Two points behind them, defeat doesn't bare thinking about so let's do this, get behind the boys in Blue.......Ipswich Til I Die.......COYB'S.

The Opposition – Preston North End

Preston North End was originally founded as a cricket club in 1863, by Mr Walter Pomfret of Deepdale Road, who was the first person to rent the field on which North End has always played. The original rent was £8 per year. As Preston already had a strong town's club, they adopted the "North End" suffix because they moved to the North End of the town when Moor Park opened, playing their matches at Moor Park. Prior to that they played at Bow Lane. The club adopted rugby union code in 1877, but one year later they played their first game under the rules of association football, and in May 1880 unanimously passed a resolution to adopt the association code.

Preston North End were famously successful during the early years of professional football in England. In 1887, Preston beat Hyde 26–0 in the First Round of the FA Cup, still a record winning margin in English first-class football. Preston forward Jimmy Ross scored eight goals in the match, going on to score 19 goals in the competition that season, also still a record.

In 1888–89, they became the first league champions and the first winners of "The Double", becoming the only team to date to go throughout an entire season unbeaten in both the league and FA Cup – winning the FA Cup without conceding a goal.

Preston were league champions again the following season, but have not won the title since. The club's last major trophy was an FA Cup triumph in 1938.

Preston were relegated to the Second Division in 1961 and have not played in the top division since. The club did reach the FA Cup final in 1964, but lost to West Ham United. Preston were relegated to the Third Division in the 1969–70 season. The club won the Third Division title at the first attempt and so returned to the Second Division.

Bobby Charlton, an England World Cup winner from 1966, was appointed Preston manager in 1973, but was unable to prevent the club from sliding into the Third Division in his first season and left after two years in charge. A brief respite in 1978 saw Preston win promotion back to the Second Division, but go down after three seasons. In 1985 the club fell into the Fourth Division for the first time in its history.

In 1986, Preston finished second from bottom in the Fourth Division and only avoided dropping into the Football Conference because the other Football League members voted in favour of the division's bottom four teams retaining their senior status.
A year later Preston won promotion to the Third Division and they were still at this level until 1990 when they were relegated from the first season of the new Division Two.

Preston were Division Three title in 1997, and in February 1998, 34-year-old defender David Moyes took over management of the club. Preston quickly developed into Division Two promotion contenders under Moyes, reaching the 1998–99 play-offs but losing out to Gillingham in the semi-finals, before finally being promoted as champions a year later.

Preston began the new millennium by winning promotion from Division 2 in the 1999–2000 season as champions. The club almost made it two promotions in a row in 2001 but lost 3–0 to Bolton Wanderers in the Division One play-off final. Moyes left for Everton in March 2002.

Preston were little more than a mid-table side until the 2004/5 season when Billy Davies took over and guided Preston to the Championship playoff final in his first season as manager, but they lost to West Ham United. The club reached the play-offs again the following year, this time losing out at the semi-final stage.

Preston spent much of the 2006–07 season in the automatic promotion or play-off places. However, from March 2007 the club slid rapidly down the league. On 11 July 2007, Nugent, the first Preston player to win an England cap for 50 years, left the club to join Portsmouth for a reported transfer fee of £6,000,000 and they did not recover from their poor run of form.

After a bad start to the 2007–08 season which saw the club pick up just three wins, Paul Simpson was sacked as manager on 13 November 2007 and Alan Irvine was appointed as Preston's new manager on a three-and-a-half year deal. He achieved his first objective as manager by finishing in 15th place, thus securing Preston's survival in the Championship.

The following season, he led Preston to 6th place in the Championship after a good run of form towards the end of the season, qualifying for the play-offs.

On 29 December 2008, Irvine was sacked after a poor run of results, with the club appointing Darren Ferguson as his successor and he narrowly secured their survival in the Championship.
In the 2009–10 season, Preston finished in 17th place and in the following season they were bottom of the Championship when Ferguson was sacked at Christmas.

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown was appointed as Ferguson's replacement, but could only achieve his first win in his 13th game in charge. This sparked an improved run of form, but could not prevent relegation to League One.

Brown was sacked on 14 December 2011 after less than a year in charge. After four weeks of interviews, Preston approached Stevenage manager Graham Westley and he was appointed manager on Friday 13 January 2012. Following a poor string of results, including a club record run of 12 home games without a win, Westley was sacked as Preston manager on 13 February 2013.

On 18 February 2013, it was confirmed that Simon Grayson had taken charge of Prestonand by the end of the 2012–13 season Preston were safe in 14th place, 11 points clear of relegation.

Preston won promotion to the Championship after beating Swindon Town 4–0 in the League One play-off Final on 24 May 2015, having failed in their previous nine appearances in the play-offs.

Since promotion to the second tier, Preston have achieved two successive top-half finishes despite having the third-lowest budget in the Championship, relying on a shrewd transfer policy and the development of young, relatively inexpensive players.

Last season Preston just missed out on featuring in the playoff’s, finishing in 7th place with 73 points.

The Manager – Alex Neil

Past Match Video - Trev

Media Watch – K L Blue

Lambert on the Jan window

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-lamber ... -1-5759154

Lambert on 1st training session

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... n-training

Kem Izzett on Lambert

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/17 ... feet-tall/

Lambert on Team

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/lambert-wan ... -1-5758170

Town Ladies Match Report

http://www.ipswichtownladiesfc.co.uk/si ... ton-Defeat

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in place with points

2 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 2 Middlesbrough

6 Oct Swansea City 2 - 3 Ipswich Town

20 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 2 QP Rangers

24 Oct Leeds United 2 – 0 Ipswich Town

27 Oct Millwall FC 3 – 0 Ipswich Town

Preston Last 5 Matches – Currently in place with points

2 Oct Aston Villa 3 – 3 Preston North End

6 Oct Preston North End 4 – 0 Wigan Athletic

20 Oct Hull City 1 – 1 Preston North End

24 Oct Preston North End 4 – 3 Brentford FC

27 Oct Preston North End 1 – 1 Rotherham United

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

Some proper laugh out louds amongst those Paul Hurst caption efforts. Good to find some humour in the situation otherwise it’d all become a bit intolerable. Good stuff.

Millwall Scores

Nicscreamer 5pts
Ando & Tangfastic (3-0) 4pts
JohnnyB & Aylesbury (prostate) 3pts
Blueblood (Plug) & Tangfastic (eBay) 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

TANGFASTIC 33
NICSCREAMER 29
FROSTY 29
BLUEMIKE 25
DERICKIPSW 25
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 24
ANDO 22
BLUEBLOOD 19
NUMBER9 16
AYLESBURYBLUE 12
WATERSHIP DOWN 8
PATTHEGIMP 7
BARMY BILLY 6
JOHNNYB 3
SHED ON TOUR 3
MARVINBAY1973 1
CHARNWOOD 1
KL BLUE 1
OHIOTRACTORBOY 1

PNE CAPTION PIC:

Match Referee – Andy Woolmer

IPSWICH TOWN 2 PRESTON NORTH END 2

AylesburyBlue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Caption:
Keane ‘Oi Lino, settle this once and for all, tell PL it’s my turn to have the f**king window seat on the coach home’

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:16 pm

New start. New hope. New manager bounce. 2-1 ITFC

Caption competition: 'Do us see that f*cker there? He's a much better manager than I'll ever be'
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:20 pm

PNE (H) - gotta win
Reading (A) - could win with some bounce
WBA (H) - got to fight for at least a point
Bristol City (H) - I think it’s winnable if we’re on a little run
Forest (A), Stoke (A) - will be tough. Maybe a point from NF
Wigan (H) - gotta win
Sheffield Utd (H) - hmmm tough. A scrappy point maybe
QPR (A) - I think we can get at least a point
and Middlesbrough (A) - can’t see much here

Total - 13-18

Caption: “I don’t respect you as a linesman, or a person or a prawn sandwich. I wouldn’t trust you to walk my beard.”

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I anticipate a similar start to the first era, draw.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Caption:

"See that f**king ambulance behind me huh??!! ............... one more sh*t call from you and you gonna be leaving in it!"

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:00 pm

Any revival must start here. Let's hope lambert can get some belief back in the team.

Caption keane "hey ! There's no way this guy will f..k up Ipswich like I did.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:49 pm

Too early for anything drastic. Im going villa 3-0 win
Caption comp.
Lino,
" mr lambert, tell that number 2 to settle down"
Lambert,
"Och eye, i will, an ye reet, he is a wee sh*t!!"

Or
Graham norton points out the secret of who will be towns next manager.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 am

ITNO1 ——-> “an Ye reet!?”
Wtf? Has Scotland moved to Newcastle? :shock: :D

Bit busy but will read full preview later today.

Big game this one. Not sure how it will go but sort of leaning towards the draw. I think both Lambert and Neil will be too focussed on speaking to each other about previous employment. Something like this, ITNO1:

AN: who’d a thunk it man?
PL: ah ken eh, am oaf ma heid.
AN: Na Paul, showin baws man. Nae fear an that eh
PL: Well, al see whit a kin dae, but no promisin thim any hin, ken whit am sayin an that.
AN: Aye flippin right man. Scary biscuits gone tae Carrow Road though eh?
PL: Am lookin forward tae it, Alex. Aye, ah liked ma time thair, but fk them. Fkn yellae inbred bastards an aw that eh? (Laughs)
AN: ah Donno like. Ah quite fancied Delia man.
PL: are ye fkn serious ya sick b*stard?

(Meanwhile the game ends goalless with no substitutions made as Lambert tweets everyone he knows that Alex fancied Delia)

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 am

It’s just got to be a win. 2-1 to town.

Caption.... hey Lino, stop the f**king match, the ice cream vans here and I want a cornetto.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:49 am

😂😂 Marko you crack me up

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am

Caption:

Keane: “it’s a fecking disgrace... yer cheating c*nts”

Linesman: “ Roy, you just lost the coin toss.... can we just start the game”

Got to go for a 2-1 home win. Come on Lambo... COYB.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:58 pm

Please football gods, give us a win!

2-1

Caption: "Go on outta that, you fookin Eejit! Stop farting around, I have skid marks that are better linesman than that!"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm

We'll win 6 - 2. Swindon '94 will repeat itself.

New manager comes in, expectant home crowd, beatable opposition.. f*ck it, we'll win with a score that no-one could have envisaged.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:58 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm

New manager comes in, expectant home crowd, beatable opposition.. f*ck it, we'll win with a score that no-one could have envisaged.
Bit early to be at the pub even if it is a Friday?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:39 pm

St Jude - according to Wikipedia:

“Thus the title, 'The Saint for the Hopeless and the Despaired'. St. Bridget of Sweden and St. Bernard had visions from God asking each to accept St. Jude as 'The Patron Saint of the Impossible'.”

Mission impossible? I wouldn’t go that far. Hopeless and despaired? Again, not really where we are. Yet!

However if we pull off the 6-2 I’ll maybe change my life long atheist beliefs! 😀

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:36 pm

Caption
Stop friggin calling me Wayne Keane!!!!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Got to be a Town win - pleeeaaase!! 2-0 and a bit of passion from players and fans will do nicely!

Caption - hey Lino - you think I am a psycho? Well thats nothing compared to my scottish mate Lambo here - he even came in his own ambulance!

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:18 pm

Just seen the highlights of last years home game against PNE. 3-0 win Waghorn, Celina and Mcgoldrick on the score sheet. There is why we are bottom in a nutshell.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Come on town home win at last 2-1
Players will surely lift their game.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:11 am
ITNO1 ——-> “an Ye reet!?”
Wtf? Has Scotland moved to Newcastle? :shock: :D

Both the same thing aint they :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 pm

OK, lets have a guess at the line up :-

Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Chalobah
Edwards
Dozzell
Edun

Sears

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Chalobah
Edwards
Dozzell
Edun

Sears
Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Nolan
Edwards
Dozzell
Ward

Jackson

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm

Were did you get Alex Neals team talk from ! :D

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Chalobah
Edwards
Dozzell
Edun

Sears
Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Nolan
Edwards
Dozzell
Ward

Jackson

Fk knows, but i bet lambert puts himself up front!!

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:52 am

Caption. RK is it panto season linesman ring a ambulance I'm going to do this f*cker.

PL It's behind you..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:03 am

CAPTION.... "Go on, I dare you, pull my finger and then the sh*t will really hit the fans."

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:35 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:40 pm
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Chalobah
Edwards
Dozzell
Edun

Sears
Bart

Donacien
Chambers
Pennington
Knudsen

Skuse
Nolan
Edwards
Dozzell
Ward

Jackson

Fk knows, but i bet lambert puts himself up front!!
I’m not expecting any left wing team selections from PL. I think Bart will be there... the defence would be my choice, but wonder if he’ll go for Spence instead of Donacien through more experience. On last weekends performance, Knudsen should be dropped.... but can’t see anyone else and he could improve under Lambert.

I’d have thought Jackson would be dropped and Sears would be the striker.

Downes earnt his place last week. I’ll guess at a midfield of Edwards, Skuse, Downes, CHalobah, Ward. Maybe Dozzell might make way and be considered too flimsy.... who knows.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Who knows but PL could decide to give the most obvious ‘first team’ (the most established and experienced pros) a chance to prove themselves and then take it from there. I reckon he might go for a back to basics 442 too.

Bart
Spence Chambo Pennington Knudsen
Edwards Dozzell Skuse Ward
Sears Jackson

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Looks like Skuse might be injured so Chalobah instead maybe - who I would personally rather see in that holding midfield role