Critical issue

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Critical issue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:47 pm

We are led to believe funds will be available to Lambert in January. Even if not , I feel sure he can identify and pursued a striker to join us in January.

The problem is, Town need goals in the side NOW. Should Lambert be looking to bring in someone NOW, on a short terms contract to get the goals? Waiting until January maybe too late in all honesty.

nicscreamer

Re: Critical issue

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Im sure he is actively looking for someone now. The problem is, who is there that can make a difference other than a risky 35 yr old has been that no one else wanted? Fitness at this stage in the season would be a big concern.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:17 pm

For me I would wait as tbh are those players who are available at this time going to make a difference?
There is a reason why they are free agents! Even when we get to January we might have difficulty in getting a suitable striker in, depending on our league position at the time and most certainly have to pay over the odds as is usually the case in the January transfer window especially if other clubs see our situation as desperate.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 pm

Better to work with what’s he got.... try and squeeze something extra out of the players here till January.

As said before.... who’s out there? If you bring in an unwanted, injury-prone, old striker you probably have more chance of putting noses out of joint and upsetting team spirit than hitting the back of the net.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:20 pm
Better to work with what’s he got.... try and squeeze something extra out of the players here till January.

As said before.... who’s out there? If you bring in an unwanted, injury-prone, old striker you probably have more chance of putting noses out of joint and upsetting team spirit than hitting the back of the net.
I agree with all the above. Only thing that could work is a pay as you play with bent, he loves the club so risk free.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm
tangfastic wrote:

I agree with all the above. Only thing that could work is a pay as you play with bent, he loves the club so risk free.
I don't know why but for some strange reason I feel Bent could do a job for us. Unfortunately or fortunately depending where you sit on this, he and Lambert fell out at Villa.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 pm
AylesburyBlue wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm
tangfastic wrote:

I don't know why but for some strange reason I feel Bent could do a job for us. Unfortunately or fortunately depending where you sit on this, he and Lambert fell out at Villa.
Great memory Derrick!! Kind of gutted about that. I agree he could do a job, he knows where to stand and would get a few poachers goals for us. His positioning would help others also. Maybe they can make up now they are both Ipswich fans...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:01 pm

I think finding Roberts is a big plus, he had some good attributes which we have been lacking this season. I do worry we need to keep a clean sheet to win a game as we don't score more than One very often.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:10 pm

Having seen (and been inpressed bu) the start that PL has made, I have no doubt that if he thinks we need someone and that person is available, he will try to get them. Whether it works or ME is prepared to find it is a different issue but in PL we simply HAVE to trust...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Sorry for typo's - am not drunk (yet) just have fingers like pigs t!ts on this stupid iphone!! 😀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:54 pm

Pigs Tits 😂😂😂

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 pm

I just think if you bring in someone... they’ve got to hit the ground running. Are they fit? Do they need 3-4 weeks to get match fit?

I think Bent had a fall out with Lambert at Villa... not seeing that happening.

And a natural goal scorer needs chances... I don’t see our strikers missing many chances because we don’t create enough chances to miss. I think a natural goal scorer would be scratching his arse all of the match.

I think it’s up to Lambert to focus on coaching and boosting confidence for what we’ve already got. And we’ve got to rely on teams at the bottom to really bomb as well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:13 pm

I think the danger is the next Nine games dont go well and we will be down, no doubt about it, for that reason I think we have to act now and try to bring someone in, even at their age a Robbie Keane or Darren Bent would probably find the net a few times, for all Sears better form he's still never gonna score (penalty apart) and Roberts has played One game. If we wait until January it may be irrelevant what business we do then cus it could well be too late.