Reading FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd Win of the Season Folks?

Reading Win
17%
Ipswich Win
42%
Draw
42%

Total votes: 12

rossi

Re: Reading FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:32 pm
Exactly, no better options so he should play every week. The thing is we do have options in Midfield, Downes and Chalobah can both play DM, we also have Ward, Dozzell, Nolan and when fit Huws and Bishop but Skuse has always been preferred.

Are you expecting Lambert to make this one of the areas he strengthens then to get rid of Skuse ?
I don't think he wants to get rid of Skuse, but I do think he has a definite opinion of what he expects from his defensive midfielder.

I didn't see the game so I can only go on what I heard - but Mick Mills summed it up perfectly for me. He said that in the first half Skuse was brilliant, and was playing the ball much quicker than he had ever seen him do before. That fits in with what I believe PL wants, and I'm sure he told Skuse that's the way he wants him to play. According to Mills, in the second half Skuse went back to being slow on the ball. Whether or not injury had to do with that - or whether it's just a case that Skuse can't play that way for long - is open to debate and will be proved one way or the other over the next few games.

But I do think that if Skuse cannot provide what PL is looking for then a new defensive midfielder in January is on the cards.

As far as the game goes, it sounds as though PL has got us playing the way PH promised but could not deliver - as others have said it's a shame PL was not appointed during the summer instead of PH, but that is history and we are where we are.

I genuinely do not think we have enough quality or balance in the squad to get ourselves out of trouble before January, but if we can lose no more ground then I'm confident that under PL - and with some additions in January - we will not be relegated.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:00 am

Nice to hear some optimism around here and sounds like it's not just wishful thinking.

But let's not get too carried away, other sides at the bottom will be looking to strengthen in Jan too.......

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:19 am

Thanks for the report Mike. Well written and informative as always. Don't get to many matches so the report is invaluable. Sears for you MOTM- delighted to hear that.

Feeling much more optimistic now and know we will beat the drop though my £10 on a top six finish isn't looking too likely :D Still you never know!

COYB

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 am

The two blues and Mach..... thanks for the reports. Great stuff.

For me, (I know some may think otherwise) but the international break is bad timing. Ok it’s only two draws under Lambert but the intensity and desire is up off the scale. Would’ve been nice to have a midweek game maybe to keep that building. Bit of a wait though. I’m sure Lambert will continue with the confidence boosting over the break.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Great report from Mike as always,I have not been able to post these last two years but often read the match reports,I watch the games and agree with all Mike said about yesterday's game, it's just a pity we haven't got the two wins from these last two matches that we deserve.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:37 am
The two blues and Mach..... thanks for the reports. Great stuff.

For me, (I know some may think otherwise) but the international break is bad timing. Ok it’s only two draws under Lambert but the intensity and desire is up off the scale. Would’ve been nice to have a midweek game maybe to keep that building. Bit of a wait though. I’m sure Lambert will continue with the confidence boosting over the break.
I agree. I totally understand Charnwoods opinion that it gives extra time for Lambert to work with the squad, but I’d rather we kept the ‘good feel’ bounce going. TBH, I’m more grumpy because there seems too many pointless international friendlies and I’m especially grumpy because Rooney has, for some reason, become involved again. He might be an England legend to some, but I thought he never lived up to his potential at England level. Very glad that he was retired and just seems a gimmicky PR exercise to bring him in for one game. Southgate shouldn’t have got involved in this and concentrated on the future.

Probably depends where you stand on international vs domestic games.... during the domestic season, I’d rather follow Ipswich. Maybe a discussion for another thread .... as we’ve got two bloody weeks to wait before the next game... again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 pm

With you tang, I hate these bloody pointless International breaks, they do my head in and render a weekend that is normally looked forward to all week as a bloody waste of Two days of my life. As for the Rooney thing, that sums up England to a tee. Not sure where i stand on the timing of the break in relation to town though, I can see good and bad in it.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:26 pm

Who the f*ck is interested in international friendlies anyway.
Despite being bottom I have this new lease of optimism and feel things are on the up
Sounds as if the team played some really good stuff yesterday which has been lacking for years now.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Look on the bright side guys, if things remain as they are next season we won’t have to worry about international breaks. :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm
Look on the bright side guys, if things remain as they are next season we won’t have to worry about international breaks. :lol: :lol:
Ha! :D Now that is a dilemma.

Ok, keep the international breaks & everyone stop moaning about them!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:30 pm

We'd have the bloody checkatrade Trophy instead or whatever its called

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:33 pm

...... and midweek Tony Cottee......,
“What’s been happening, Tony?”
“Well that’s Carlisle’s 25th corner here at Portman Road but fk all Jeff. Still Nee-awl Nee-awl.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm

On a different subject, what a great article posted by KL Blue on one of his preview links about Chambo having 5 of the young players living with him in a annex that joins his house, Jack Lankester says how much Chambo has helped him, how the 5 kids get to sit down with him and his wife for dinner etc and sometimes Skusey goes round too to join them, I think its a fantastic story and for people who doubt Chambo's worth, it goes beyond what happens on the pitch, these senior pro's are superb in my book, and to think we had a moron on here recently decrying Luke Chambers as a captain.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:35 pm
On a different subject, what a great article posted by KL Blue on one of his preview links about Chambo having 5 of the young players living with him in a annex that joins his house, Jack Lankester says how much Chambo has helped him, how the 5 kids get to sit down with him and his wife for dinner etc and sometimes Skusey goes round too to join them, I think its a fantastic story and for people who doubt Chambo's worth, it goes beyond what happens on the pitch, these senior pro's are superb in my book, and to think we had a moron on here recently decrying Luke Chambers as a captain.
That’s an interesting story. Hope he’s not over-charging rent for those young lads. :)

Sounds like a good un and taking his captain duties a step further.

Only problem with inviting Skuse round for dinner is that you’ve got to sit beside him if you want him to pass the salt.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 pm
Only problem with inviting Skuse round for dinner is that you’ve got to sit beside him if you want him to pass the salt.
:lol: And don't serve him meatballs, he'll only manage to find his mouth once every 162 meals.

But yes, personally I hope we can keep Chambers and Skuse on at the club in some context after their playing days are over, good rare pros.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 pm
With you tang, I hate these bloody pointless International breaks, they do my head in and render a weekend that is normally looked forward to all week as a bloody waste of Two days of my life. As for the Rooney thing, that sums up England to a tee. Not sure where i stand on the timing of the break in relation to town though, I can see good and bad in it.

Take up playing 🏌️‍♂️ Mike, then watching a live footie match on a Saturday would become a luxury. 😉

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm

You know what Andy on the one and only time I attempted to play golf I had zero coordination with the swing etc whatsoever, in fact I would go as far to say I was the worst ever !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm
You know what Andy on the one and only time I attempted to play golf I had zero coordination with the swing etc whatsoever, in fact I would go as far to say I was the worst ever !!!
Maybe stick with the footie then 👍

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:45 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:48 pm
Don't worry, everyone is like that the first time :wink:

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:19 pm

My quote was from BlackAdder interaction between Baldrick and Blackadder