Hurst in line for Shrews return?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Hurst in line for Shrews return?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:52 am

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-hurst ... -1-5777091

Bully for him!

You wouldn’t have believed a manager could do so much harm to a Club in just 15 games could you? We’re now going to spend the whole of this season trying to avoid relegation because of him.

Hopefully he’ll return for his misfits too!

Tangfastic

Re: Hurst in line for Shrews return?

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:18 pm

It would be bizarre if he went back there. Can’t see it myself..... too much bad blood when he left them.

TBH.... don’t hold any grudges against the bloke. He just wasn’t up to it.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:09 pm

With several lower League clubs looking for a manager I'm sure one will employ him and let's hope in January he buys a couple of the players he bought for us.⚽

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:56 pm

He's proved he's a top manager at that level so I'm sure he will be much sought after.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I hope he goes to another club and does well for them, perhaps he has learned a lot in his time here and if/when he gets the chance again he might do OK at this level but granted he has left us in a precarious position!

Interesting that Hurst was voted by their fans on the poll run by the local paper, 50% wanted him back that voted, I found it funny that only about 20% or so wanted Mick McCarthy (sorry for bringing him up again..). Just if I were in league 1 and a club like Shrewsbury I would see Mick as a huge coup! I don't think he would consider it, he will be eyeing up something in the Championship I would imagine.

If I were Hurst I would go for Wimbledon if offered the chance, I think going back to Shrewsbury will put huge pressure on him as if he doesn't start well then given the way he left last time there could be some problems for him. Ill be interested to see how this one plays out

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:39 pm

I’m not sure he will learn from his mistakes. He has a MM air about him of “ I know best ...... my way is the only way” . I think more will come out about “his way “as time goes by.

There was a potential link with him to Notts County , too.

Overall I wish him well but I’m angry with the damage his “ influence “ has done at Town, and I hope he hasnt consigned is to League One because of it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 pm

It appears odds on it will happen and my guess is that it was his availability which brought forward John Askey getting sacked before Hurst accepted a job elsewhere.

For what it’s worth I think they’re making a grave mistake especially given his lack of consideration towards them when taking key players with him when he left to join us. I think his work here exposed his limitations and lack of experience and if I were them I’d give him a wide berth and look elsewhere and take a chance with Gary Bowyer.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 am

Bowyer looks a decent fit for Shrewsbury. He did well at Blackpool.... under basket case owners. Strangely, Blackpool seem a club warring internally between fans and owners, yet doing pretty well in the league. By rights, I thought they would be bottom of League 2 or out of the league altogether with all their turmoil, not in touch with League 1 play offs.

I’m surprised that both Shrewsbury and Hurst would still want one another. Better for Hurst to start afresh somewhere else... a clean slate and little baggage.

I’d like to see Hurst do OK. Don’t see the point of harbouring grudges. The one I have grudges against is Keane.... who simply is just an unpleasant arsehole.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 am
Bowyer looks a decent fit for Shrewsbury. He did well at Blackpool.... under basket case owners. Strangely, Blackpool seem a club warring internally between fans and owners, yet doing pretty well in the league. By rights, I thought they would be bottom of League 2 or out of the league altogether with all their turmoil, not in touch with League 1 play offs.

I’m surprised that both Shrewsbury and Hurst would still want one another. Better for Hurst to start afresh somewhere else... a clean slate and little baggage.

I’d like to see Hurst do OK. Don’t see the point of harbouring grudges. The one I have grudges against is Keane.... who simply is just an unpleasant arsehole.
I just had to say that I totally agree with your statement on Keane.👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Many at Shrewsbury don't want him back. Left under a cloud, animosity is evident.

All this 'favorites to replace' bullshit, that invariably arises when a vacancy becomes available : Seems he's distanced himself from the fanbase over there and burned his bridges as soon as that unsavory episode between clubs was finalized back in the summer. I couldn't envisage for one moment a return at least not so soon after what occurred.

Evidently out of depth at a higher level he'll doubtless return in some capacity at some League One or Two club set-up, but try as he might, those past few weeks here have done him no favors regards immediate employment with other recruiters.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm

I’m not sure Hurst is in a hurry to get back to work. I’m sure his compensation from ME will sustain him for a while. He and Doig are probably on holiday...running hand and hand together on a beach some where.😁

Anyway, I know the perfect person who should take over Shrewsbury. I’ll give you a clue...he’s a very experienced & successful manager according to himself.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:18 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:10 pm
He and Doig are probably on holiday...running hand and hand together on a beach some where.😁
https://youtu.be/YbgvasKd93s

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:26 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:09 am
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 am

I just had to say that I totally agree with your statement on Keane.👍
Me too, worst of the lot in my book, total tosser

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I think I will join this agreeing fest! He is theeee number ONE tosser in football.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:08 pm

Keane as a player was the epitome of tough. Resourceful, courageous, committed : everything that entails the attributes for a captain position. I had no issue with him as an individual, say again his leadership and inspiration on the field was commendable, sure one or two on-field incidents were regrettable, but Keane was hardly unique for any wayward behavior that would incur during a game duration. Unfortunately his management tenure was garbage, or to put it another way, simply not of the same standards of one's own playing career.

Quiet unassuming individual who went about his on and off-field business quietly and discreetly, something to be applauded maybe. Can't quite bring myself to castigate him irrespective of however poor his 'accomplishments' were in his time here. Jewell and McCarthy however..

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Good luck to him, it just did´nt Work out with us unfourtunately.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Shrewsbury chairman saying it's to early after the way PH left the club, it seems he was clearing his desk before the playoff final :blush:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:22 pm
Shrewsbury chairman saying it's to early after the way PH left the club, it seems he was clearing his desk before the playoff final :blush:
He must be getting pretty handy at clearing desks.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:06 am

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am

Personally I don't give a hoot where he goes. It wont make up for the damage he caused over his time at Town. :x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:11 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am
Personally I don't give a hoot where he goes. It wont make up for the damage he caused over his time at Town. :x
I agree really, very disappointed with how things went under his tenure here, expected much more

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:57 pm

I’m still curious where he’ll end up and whether or not he’ll be successful. I won’t lose sleep over it though.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:49 am

With a win rate of just 7% he holds the record for being the least successful town manager of all time, a record which is unlikely ever to be broken.