PL'S JANUARY TARGETS

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

PL'S JANUARY TARGETS

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:41 pm

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik ... osespieler

Can any of you experts name any affordable players PL may be interested in?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: PL'S JANUARY TARGETS

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:02 pm

Given our precarious position in the table I imagine Marcus Evans will want to max out on loanee players ahead of any purchases, and with John Walters loan ending on Jan 1, if my sums are content this would leave space for 3 new loan players coming in.

Arsenal are rumoured to having at least 5 players going out on loan and two of these could be attractive, Ainsley Maitland Niles who’s spent time with us before could do a decent job as could Cohen Bramhall at LB.

To be honest there may be a host of young Premier League players desperate to showcase their skills and would welcome first team experience in the second half of the season, I think Paul Lambert would have a much better chance of signing such players than his predecessor.

After loans we may be limited to freebies only, but some loans could be subject to contract if we avoid relegation. I can’t honestly see Marcus Evans wanting to pay for players for fear of relegation, likewise I can’t see many players signing for the same reason.

We may have to be very selective and focus on key priorities only, one of which must be capable of finding the back of the net. The sort of striker he would like would interested in would be the old fashioned type like Danny Graham who he signed when he was at Blackburn Rivers, not sure where he is these days or how old he is but that’s the sort he would be looking at.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:23 am

You can have as many loans as you want I believe, but only 5 in the Matchday squad. Donacien is still a loanee. Interesting to know if we can loan him out under the agreement or send him back to Accrington? Nothing against him ( I prefer him to Spence at RB) .. but his situation with the residency permit and the loan is odd.

CHalobah and Pennington I like and are playing regularly. Edun I like, but not getting game time. If we need to free up space, maybe best to end Edun’s loan. Graham is a no-brainer.... goodbye.

I can see loan deals being the way to go. Would ME fork out big time on 3 year contracts when we could get relegated? No idea who.... I would go for Championship experience, rather than a young PL player. No idea of who is available but I’d like to see atarget man and an energetic, combative midfielder.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am

I would like to see Town get Rudy Gestede on loan from Middlesbrough and maybe another striker also a left footed centre back, in the middle I think if and it's a big if Emyr Huws and Teddy Bishop were fit and stayed fit I think we would be OK and then build next season.⚽

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:56 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 am
I would like to see Town get Rudy Gestede on loan from Middlesbrough and maybe another striker also a left footed centre back, in the middle I think if and it's a big if Emyr Huws and Teddy Bishop were fit and stayed fit I think we would be OK and then build next season.⚽
I think a few months ago... and a year ago... we were saying the same things about Huws and Bishop.

Can’t help feel that even if they get fit,you can’t rely on them to stay fit. Big decision not to strengthen midfield relying on those two to be fit. If I was Lambert, I wouldn’t factor them in to my planning. Get them loan deals elsewhere and let other clubs take the risk on their fitness. Just like Warnock did with Huws.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Teddy Bishop will be injured until the end of time.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 pm
Teddy Bishop will be injured until the end of time.
Teddy bishop has injuries that are injured

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 pm

I think Bishop and Huws are on borrowed time now under Paul Lambert. If they cant show a level of fitness ready for second half of season I can see PL getting rid ( out on loan initially then selling in summer). Their clock is most definitely ticking now, and frankly it’s about time too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

If their clocks are ticking Adeyemi's must be seized up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:05 pm

If I were “Bish”, I’d be hoping to be sent out on loan to a club with those really comfy looking seats in the dugout area. Stuff that numb bum sh*te in November/December time.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:42 pm

And heaters too Marko - dont forget the heaters... luverly and cosy...!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm
If their clocks are ticking Adeyemi's must be seized up.
No comparison. He’s only been injured a season. The other two are waaay ahead of him.

Bishop ..., 2+ YEARS?
Huws ..... 2seasons?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 am

Adeyemi has been injured a lot longer than one season

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 am

If you look at Huws’ playing stats.... the last 3 full seasons ( not counting this one) he’s only played 21 times. Apparently, he played 5 times last season, although I can’t remember him playing. The most he’s played in the last 3 1/2 years was for us on loan which was 13 times. That was just before we gave him a 4 year contract. In hindsight, that 250k signing fee is meaningless compared to 4 years wages. To wrap up his contract would be a big pay off.

I just can’t see him ever playing a reasonable amount of games for us before he gets injured again. Bishop also, although he managed 60 minutes yesterday. As for Adeyemi.... forget him.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Haven't you noticed a on going theme here, McGoldrick, Waters, it should be called The Infirmary.... more players injured than healthy....... that's not to mention they guys who are playing injured.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 am
When did we sign him from Rotherham ? He wasn’t injured then I don’t think. I seem to think his injury woes started with a hamstring pull during the pre match warm up on the pitch .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 am

He was injured all last season, the latter part of the previous season and so far all this season.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm

Experienced attacking players out of contract next summer who we could maybe get cheap in jan;
Pugh - bournmouth (ambitious)
Pilkington - Cardiff
Mcmanaman - Wigan
Jamie Patterson - Bristol city
Ayite - Fulham
Hooper - Sheff Wed
Puncheon - Palace
Washington - Sheff U

Although the player I would like is Boyce from Burton. NI international.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Patterson and Hooper look decent, Pugh would be great but no chance.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:18 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:35 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:04 am
When did we sign him from Rotherham ? He wasn’t injured then I don’t think. I seem to think his injury woes started with a hamstring pull during the pre match warm up on the pitch .
Sick note we need to off load asap

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 am

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:11 pm
Experienced attacking players out of contract next summer who we could maybe get cheap in jan;
Pugh - bournmouth (ambitious)
Pilkington - Cardiff
Mcmanaman - Wigan
Jamie Patterson - Bristol city
Ayite - Fulham
Hooper - Sheff Wed
Puncheon - Palace
Washington - Sheff U

Although the player I would like is Boyce from Burton. NI international.
I haven’t got any real knowledge of most of these players. Got to admit I don’t really follow closely players from other clubs , especially outside the PL.

Question is... are they likely to join us ? For example, are they not getting game time so coming to a relegation threatened team is considered a decent move. Can’t see us being a popular choice for most Championship players. If you look at our other January signings.... they’ve been players surplus to Championship team squads ie unwanted or injury-prone. Can’t see Evans splashing too much cash. Could have to be a shrewd signing by Lambert... maybe someone who’s career has slid backwards, but he feels he can get rejuvenate and get half a season out of. Looking at Waghorn.... his career wasn’t going anywhere fast , but he managed to kick start his career here.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:25 pm

As with the above I (invariably) don't get to see what other team players get up to outside of our own club set-up but you can pick up information here and there and for starters I was impressed with that kid who scored against us in own most recent league game, Yakou Meite. Would Reading be prepared to allow his departure even on loan must be considered but all things are possible.

Blackburn have a striker named Dack who has impressed and Saikou Jannah at Torquay is a rising name. As for other areas of the team it's a bit vague as Goalkeepers haven't really come to the fore at domestic level as have defenders or midfield units. Bialkowski and Gerken are adequate but we ideally require cover in the department. Maybe others who get around and attend games regular can offer additions they have witnessed for the benefit of others. Of course you got the question of how much money we can play around with when the time arises. Loan deals occur often around here but some will be seeking something more substantial.