Ipswich Town vs West Bromwich Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we upset the odds here?

Town Win
33%
W.B.A. Win
22%
Draw
44%

Total votes: 18

AylesburyBlue

Re: Ipswich Town vs West Bromwich Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:09 am

Games like WBA shouldn’t shape our season. But because PH started us off with such a handicap we now have to win games we otherwise wouldn’t. It isn’t about WBA squad, for 65 minutes we offered very little - no creativity, no press, poor movement. You should have seen the ‘long ball stats’ they put up at half time, smash to Spence smash to Knudsen. Preston there were positives, reading first half was awesome. Last nights got felt like a massive step back. However I am still pleased with PL and he is 100% getting more out of the players. I’m still optimistic with him we will win games. I just think the damage had been done.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:00 am

I felt first half we weren't at the races albeit West Brom were decent and made it hard for us. HOWEVER lets not forget Hull beat West Brom at home a few weeks back and West Brom only have 1 clean sheet this season (the same as us). Im not saying we should expect to win but as the home team in the position we are in we do need to pick up points in some of the games against the bigger sides.

I have to admit im not as confident of staying up as some are, I think we are kidding ourselves in many ways, are the performances better? yes they are much improved, but the cold hard facts are that in 3 games (2 against teams in and around us in the table) we have not won any of them. 2 draws is OK but in the position we are in its not enough, that mountain we need to climb is becoming more like Everest. We have won 2 games at home 2018, I missed the Barnsley game and so the last match I saw us win was Sunderland in February! Realistically we will probably need between 10 and 14 wins, we are getting fairly near the half way point and we have 1 win so far, I just don't see us hitting that kind of form. Yes we need to try and stay in touch until January but attracting players to a club that is cut adrift at the bottom is no easy task. No more excuses, we HAVE to win on Wednesday or we are dead and buried in my opinion. Maybe im being a little doom and gloom and pessimistic, I just feel we have been on this decline for a while, all we have done is fastracked it this season. Id love to be wrong though and if i am PL would have done an amazing job

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:14 am

You’re not being doom & gloom at all, Charlton. You’re stating the reality which is based on facts, not opinions.

Bristol City is arguably the very first of many proper 100% must win games.

Depending on other results today, (imo) lose/draw v BC, then it’s over. The survival job would be too big.

Mevans ——> Keane ——> Jewell ——> Hurst/Doig ...., it’s all finally biting the club on the arse. As Domhide said in the other thread......, years of neglect from the source due to RK’s promises.

ITFC 4 BCFC 2 (because two will be conceded; Bart is sh*t)

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20 am

Caption:
PL ‘I knew I shouldn’t have agreed to the handcuffs the night before a game, better style it out with a smile’

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:54 am

Watched the whole game back again this morning and quite what we expected to achieve with the tactics employed in hitting Spence with every Bart clearance is beyond me, it is such a low percentage tactic that really did not work at all, we have all rightly had a pop at Spence but Christ Gwion Edwards needs to take some responsibility too, his efforts in backing up Spence were woeful, his first touch at times a disgrace and all too often his attempts at tracking back can only be described as half hearted and laboured at best, not a good performance. For me Downes and Roberts were the best Two Town players on the pitch, what Roberts lacks in quality he sure as hell makes up for in effort and work rate.

It is easy to get down about our position as clearly we are in a precarious one but I still maintain last night was a free hit where very few expected anything, fail to beat Bristol City and maybe we are facing a serious problem which is insurmountable, from my point of view we will get out of the drop zone, it won't be easy but it will be done. Thankfully I also believe the target to stay up will be less this season as there are few poor teams in this division this season. What is crucial for me is that the gap to safety is no bigger than the Five points it currently is when we get to January.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I didn't understand the Bishop before Dozzell substitution thought that was strange. Also for the Bristol City game I think Roberts should play left instead of Sears with Jackson down the middle I would also play Dozzell instead of Downes and Donacian for Spence. Just freshen things up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:40 pm

I’ve got no problem with Bishop over Dozzell..... Bishop is capable of beating defenders more than Dozzell and making something happen... if fit and on form. Dozzell can look a bit lost if he’s crowded out.

I’d keep Roberts and Sears as they are. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lankester come in for Edwards on the right. I think Donacien deserves a shot at RB..... but Lambert made it clear he doesn’t see him as a RB. Would he do a 180 on that one.... be surprised. Due to that he will probably will stick with Spence.... unless Cotter does a Jordan Roberts and comes from nowhere.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:44 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:15 pm
I didn't understand the Bishop before Dozzell substitution thought that was strange. Also for the Bristol City game I think Roberts should play left instead of Sears with Jackson down the middle I would also play Dozzell instead of Downes and Donacian for Spence. Just freshen things up.
I completely agree with the Donacien in for Spence switch, not sure I would drop Downes personally, Two or Three recent games he has been my MOTM and as such I think he should remain in the team, problem is we could do with freshening it up on Wednesday but I don't see Chalobah or Skuse being dropped anytime soon. I think I would be bringing Tayo Edun in for Edwards and Lankester in for Sears if I am honest, Jackson on for the last Thirty minutes against tiring defenders should we need it.

...................Bart.....................

Donacien..Chambers....Pennington...knudsen

...........Chalobah...Skuse...Downes...........

Lankester.....Roberts......Edun............

clearly it won't be that line up but I would like to see it. Bishop ahead of Dozzell is indeed an interesting one, another manager who seems reluctant to play Andre, it is obvious we need to spend in January, I am wondering if Dozzell is being kept fit and out of the action with a fairly big money move in the offing to raise needed funds.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:08 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:05 am
sometimes life stinks, and those worst nightmares come true.

1...Norwich …....17...….8...….33
2...West Brom...18......13.....31
In terms of our rivalry with Norwich that kind of situation hurts number of Ipswich fans but why do you need to remind them about the current situation? We all hurt with the clubs league position and the hole Evans created over many seasons. Yes, that Evans whom you lauded on our forum last season saying that we are a ....'well run club' under him. So why reminding some people about Norwich's position? We are all sad with the plight of our club so spare us your crap.

Moreover, is West Bromwich being 2nd a part of those 'worst nightmare' you bleat about? How on earth their league position is a part of the worst nightmare? We don't care where West Bromwich are in the league.
Last edited by Mach_Polish_Blue on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

This was always going to be a hard game, perhaps too hard and it proved. Therefore I'm not too disappointed with the result because we have no quality in the team that could match West Bromwich's one. We would have had better players and better quality but for the policy of that worm Evans. The years of undeinvestment and funding the deals for ilk of players like Kevin Bru hit us really badly.

I liked our desire and effort in the second half. As Lambert said we had given them too much respect in the first one and there was a gulf. But the effort and desire are the only things we can offer. There is a dreadful and painful lack of quality upfront and this is what you get when you don't replace players like Waghorn or McGoldrick with an adequate quality.

After the Bristol City match we have two away ones at Nottingham and Stoke which we'll probably end up with nothing therefore Bristol City is a must win. No matter how we are going to achieve it, own goal, scrappy goal, cheating etc etc....I don't care how it is going to be done but it has to be done. Otherwise the glimmer of hope will have pretty much gone.

We're rock bottom and we deserve it for the way the club has been run for years.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:21 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:08 pm
goldandblack wrote:

In terms of our rivalry with Norwich that kind of situation hurts number of Ipswich fans but why do you need to remind them about the current situation? We all hurt with the clubs league position and the hole Evans created over many seasons. Yes, that Evans whom you lauded on our forum last season and said that we are a ....'well run club' under him. So why reminding some people about Norwich's position? We are all sad with the plight of our club so spare us your crap.

Moreover, is West Bromwich being 2nd a part of those 'worst nightmare' you bleat about? How on earth their league position is a part of the worst nightmare? We don't care where West Bromwich are in the league.
Well said Mach. I did ask the moderators to remove the post on page 2. It is ridiculous post and he is taking the p*ss.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:43 pm

JESUS f**king CHRIST! Are you two the types that start a bar brawl at the slightest thing? He’s making a f**king innocent comment about Norwich being top....,,.., it’s a f**king observation. What...,.,, do you not look at league tables like? And have you forgot Norwich are top and Wolfie has “reminded” you?? f**king give it up. If Hibs fans moaned about people “reminding” Hearts are top, no c**t would f**king post ever.
Frosty, Charnwood, Mike...., you can f**king edit that one. Jaysus fkn H man.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

In terms of our rivalry with Norwich that kind of situation hurts number of Ipswich fans but why do you need to remind them about the current situation? We all hurt with the clubs league position and the hole Evans created over many seasons. Yes, that Evans whom you lauded on our forum last season saying that we are a ....'well run club' under him. So why reminding some people about Norwich's position? We are all sad with the plight of our club so spare us your crap.

perhaps you missed my point or didn't understand it.
to put things straight, the two clubs I dislike most are those two so to me seeing them both up there is my worst nightmare. my dream this season is to see Ipswich Town getting back in the premier where your club belongs, there is no other motive for my post in this thread,
apologies if you took it wrong mate

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:43 pm
JESUS f**king CHRIST! Are you two the types that start a bar brawl at the slightest thing? He’s making a f**king innocent comment about Norwich being top....,,.., it’s a f**king observation. What...,.,, do you not look at league tables like? And have you forgot Norwich are top and Wolfie has “reminded” you?? f**king give it up. If Hibs fans moaned about people “reminding” Hearts are top, no c**t would f**king post ever.
I have indeed edited it Marko, I felt there was one too many fullstops after my name, cut that sh*t out please mate, aside from that the rest is fine. I totally got the point of G&B's post and what was meant by it.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Marko please !

Norwich aside, how can West Bromwich being 2nd is a part of the 'worst nightmare' for us Ipswich fans? Just wanted to know what sort of nightmare it is.

And again, why posting anything like that about Norwich? We all hurt with our clubs plight so why reminding us about them?

And also your comparison : 'If Hibs fans moaned about people “reminding” Hearts are top, no c**t would f**king post ever'. What do you mean by saying that? Why mentioning them in the relation to what we've been talking about?

Why can't I say a word about the other member's opinion? Just because he does please some with his opinions and is being liked by them? This member has said last season that we're a well run club under Evans. I didn't like it and even then I was 'reprimended' by some after verbally 'assaulting' him over that crap.

BTW..... who are you? You're a Hibernian fan and I'm an Ipswich fan and you are having a go at me on MY CLUBS FORUM !!!!! You support a different club so go and f**k yourself !!!! You can ban me as a moderator and I don't care. You support a different club and have a cheek to slagg me or other Ipswich fan off fan on our forum. So shut up or ban me !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:19 pm

Don’t be a f**king idiot, Mach. You’re backing up the theory of the bar brawl over something so trivial. I quite clearly stated in the other post about G&Bs family links to Ipswich, and he moved to Wolverhampton, Town/Wolves = City/Albion. It was an observation from a fan of both clubs. Completely innocent....,,, BUT he has since apologised...... and he didn’t need to.

I’ll continue on to ER and support the Cabbage whilst being a moderator on a forum for “YOUR” club. Any problems, take it up with Frosty.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Ok calm down people, we don't need a situation here. Can see one or two participants issues here and like it or not I'm in certain agreement - but you got to realize it's not worth any argument. Sometimes you just got to bite your tongue. Life's too short to concern yourself over trivialities.

Attempted to gain information last night from the game - but not easy when TWTD sees fit to swamp it's pages with immaterial f**king advertisements that deviate greatly from any actual relevant information. Bottom line it comes down to two factors :

#1 The crowd was greatly encouraging - twenty-three thousand for a Friday event was commendable, had no idea we would obtain such a figure. It's a shame the first period performance was detrimental on the end score.

#2 The league position is of course a concern, but not at critical stage as of yet. Lambert requires time to adapt here and find his surroundings, no fix will be instant. We need favorable scores from other teams in the vicinity this weekend, although you would believe we have the capabilities to move out of the relegation three. All it requires is enough belief and consistency.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:58 pm

GNB .... probably advisable you don’t post the top of the Championship table tonight :)

Don’t worry.... they’re not pacing it for the long run.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:08 pm

The spirit and attitude shown in the second half was commendable but the glaring lack of quality in the side is worrying.

The Bristol City game is going to be huge. If we don't win then the new manager bounce will wear off very quickly I think. Four matches without a win would undoubtedly shatter whatever buzz was generated by the arrival of PL. A win might just have a real galvanising effect. We need it because, slowly but surely, we are losing touch with the teams above us. Time is not on our side.

A loss, or even a draw, against Bristol and I think there will be no saving the season. We must, and I think, will win it and start the great escape.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:43 pm
I have indeed edited it Marko, I felt there was one too many fullstops after my name, cut that sh*t out please mate, aside from that the rest is fine. I totally got the point of G&B's post and what was meant by it.
May I ask a question please.

Are moderators permitted to edit posts as they wish, or do they have to have to discuss the matter with the author first?

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:58 pm

They can edit any post without asking other mods or advising the author BB

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:59 pm

Dare I say...gro...hu...no, nevermind! :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:00 am

Frosty wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:58 pm
They can edit any post without asking other mods or advising the author BB
Thanks Frosty.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:06 am

For the record Billy, I was joking

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 am

Out of interest, who moderates the Moderators?

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

to put things straight, the two clubs I dislike most are those two so to me seeing them both up there is my worst nightmare. my dream this season is to see Ipswich Town getting back in the premier where your club belongs, there is no other motive for my post in this thread,
I Wasn't offended by this, I live near Norwich & get those arrogant budge twits chirping on how well they are doing all the time,I remind them that they are likely to go up but next year they will be down like a Led zepplline:)
Last edited by Magicmark on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:41 am

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 am
A monolith on the moon.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:43 am

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:24 am
Other moderaters .... in recent times moderates have been edited more than other members.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:11 am

Magicmark wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:51 pm
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:

I Wasn't afendend by this, I live near Norwich & get those arrogant budge twits chirping on how well they are doing all the time,I remind them that they are likely to go up but next year they will be down like a Led zepplline:)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:19 am

I think it’s in everyone’s best interest to move on and focus on next Wednesdays match v Bristol City . Personally I don’t give a sh*t about Norwich or WBA’s performances and since this is what the thread has degenerated to it’s now locked to deter any further insults being thrown around.

Let’s move on guys and talk about how we can pick up 3 points on Wednesday night otherwise we’re in deep pooh.

If Frosty thinks I’ve overstepped my authority I’m sure he’ll unlock it.