Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

First Home Win of the Season?

Town Win
67%
Wigan Win
5%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 21

nicscreamer

Re: Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:57 pm

f**king yes!!!!,!,

f**king YES

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:59 pm

f**king love that! Don’t care how it was and whether it was deserved. That’s three points at home and other results gone our way too. COYB!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:01 pm

And a clean sheet too. Awesome work guys.... and you gotta love Freddie

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Let the great escape begin? :wink:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Yay :D :D second win of the season :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Yep, a draw would not have been acceptable at PR v that opposition. Had to be the win and the manager and his troops delivered. Well done. Hopefully build on this win.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Great to get the three points and it's a start but we will need to play a lot better but if we can just keep in touch and get the right players in we have a chance, this win must help with confidence and just look at Freddie his confidence is back and so are the goals.😁

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:07 pm

The tractor's rolling again!! COYB

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Beautiful we are staying up. :D

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:26 pm

Maybe just as nice as the victory is the clean sheet - only our second of the season. Realistically December fixtures (Sheff Utd home and QPR and Boro away) going to be tough but if we can hang on and not let any in we stand a chance.

On the face of it, January looks much more promising including potential six-pointers v Millwall and Rotherham. With a little luck and some quality additions we could be out of the bottom three by February.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Good to have a bit of luck for a change :wink:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Great result, and something that Lambert can build on.

Finally.

Great job lads!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:56 pm
Great result, and something that Lambert can build on.

Finally.

Great job lads!

yeah a great result and now to move up the table.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:25 am

Maybe something of a steal as appears the opposition shots tally during game time was far more featured than our own. Read a report on events, says it was something of a drab game - bottom line we got a victory and other scores in the trouble area were favorable. By no means a solution to a problem but something to take into subsequent fixtures. Without hope there is nothing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:20 am

I suppose it was rather ironic that Paul Lambert's first win as Ipswich Town manager would come in what for me was our worst performance since his arrival, it is true that conditions were dreadful and not conducive to good football but it was the same for both sides, add to that the pressure on us to get a win and surprisingly the level of expectation that we would win this one and it all appeared to be a bit too much for Town to cope with at times, especially in what for me was a dreadful second half game of football.

With Town unchanged from the team that played at Stoke it was us that got a grip on the early proceedings, this is something I have remarked on before as Town now appear to start games well which has not been the case for a long time, most of the early minutes was played in their half but few chances coming our way Knudsen did have a half chance after ghosting in at the back post to meet a good cross from Nolan, who had carried on from where he left off at Stoke with a good start to the game, unfortunately the Danish Fullbacks effort was wide of the mark. Wigan had found it tough to get into Town's half for any real period of time but they so nearly fashioned a goal midway through the half, a good cross flashed across our Six yard box just evaded Two onrushing Strikers having left both our CB's flat footed and beaten, it was a good chance and a real let off for Town.

Town were still by and large looking the team playing a bit better football with their approach play but once again the final third was a real stumbling block when it came to testing the keeper, Sears was his usual tireless self running all over the place and pulling defenders around while Roberts was again working so hard for little reward, for me Chalobah was once again having a really good game and standing out in Midfield while Nolan & Downes were getting stuck in as usual, at the back Pennington had once or Twice looked a little unsure in the difficult windy conditions. There was very few openings at either end throughout the entire half and neither keeper had really been called upon to make any real saves, for me Town probably just edged the half on points but it was far from impressive although the elements clearly played a part.

If the first half conditions were bad the second were taken to another level, a biting wind was now joined by swirling heavy rain and it was to make for a very poor quality second Forty Five. There was little by way of goalmouth action until Wigan found themselves in space down our Left side and out of nowhere one of their players smashed a ball from distance against the bar with Gerken beaten all ends up but thankfully it flew away to safety, a real scare and a warning to Town that this was no gimme. Wigan were definitely the better side in the second half and we were struggling to play any football of note, passes were going astray and possession was all too often lost very quickly, it was quite obvious too that Wigan were now going down as if they had been shot at every opportunity and worse still the ref was buying it.

As the game approached the final Quarter Lady luck shone on us for virtually the first time this season as we somehow got ourselves ahead. Town's best player Chalobah sent in a decent cross which caused a bit of a scramble in the area, Nolan & Roberts were in the thick of it, trying to win the loose ball and get a shot away but it found it's way to man of the moment Sears who hit a fairly tame shot goalwards, with the keeper looking to gather it with ease a defender lunging at it and diverts it slightly off course and passed the helpless goalie to put us ahead, great scenes with the players celebrating in front of an ecstatic North stand, was this the stroke of luck we needed and could we capitalise on it, after all in the life of Ipswich Town there was still an age to go before the win could be secured.

Wigna were now looking for an equaliser and were ramping up the pressure on Town's defence, Chambo and co were standing firm but in the space of a few minutes they seemed to have Three or Four freekicks on the edge of our box, Town old boy Joe Garner who had come off the bench was as you would expect winning most of them as he went to ground time after time and again the ref was only too happy to oblige. Thankfully all the set pieces were wasted by the visitors as we breathed a huge sigh of relief time after time, the clock seemed f**king motionless away in the far corner of the ground as Town players threw themselves into challenges, blocks and headers in an effort to keep the vital points in the bag.

With time running out Wigan were awarded yet another free kick on the edge of our box, this time though we had Gerken to thank as he pulled off a tremendous save down to his left as the ball was arrowing itself home just inside the post, it was a crucial and vital save, thankfully it was the right keeper in goal or it would probably have been One all. Gerken then had to be alert from the resultant corner as Twice he did enough to save efforts from the scramble that ensued. Where the hell Seven minutes of added time came from god only knows but that is what we were faced with, it felt like an eternity, Wigan pushed forward, Town stood firm, Chambers getting his head and body in the way a couple of times while those around him backed him up, with time all but up another scare as Gerken rose to catch a high ball into the box only for that ex scummer Vaughan to charge into him forcing the ball into the net, with this ref god knows what he would give but thankfully even this tosser saw it as a clear foul. That was it, Town had weathered the second half storm in more ways than one and secured only our second win of the season.

The fans erupted as every player came across to applaud the fans in the North stand who again were very supportive even when things were not going our way, Chambo even remembered how to do a fist pump and did it with a bit of meaning too. I loved seeing what it meant to the players as they hugged one another on the pitch, there is a definite sense of togetherness in this squad and that can take us a long way, it may only be One win but it's a crucial one, for sure we will have to play better if we are to survive and that second half performance won't cut it next week against the Blades bu that is for another day, we have to take into account the conditions yesterday, not to mention the mountain of pressure on us but we came through, just. With results elsewhere all going exactly as we wanted them to my earlier predictions of a Five point gap going into January is bang on course as every result came up trumps. It's not over just yet, there's life in the old Tractor yet.

Gerken...(7) Solid in most of what he had to do, a couple of dodgy kicks but crucial save late in the game won the points.

Spence...(6) Looked solid in the first half but struggled to get forward on this occasion. No major disasters

Chambers...(6) A typical gutsy display from the skipper, took one real heavy blow which sums what this guy is all about, could see what it meant to him at the final whistle.

Pennington...(6) Started a little edgy but improved as the game went on, never shirks a challenge and makes some telling interceptions.

Knudsen...(7) I though Jonas played well yesterday, linked up well with Sears down the left and got into the box a couple of times, one of his better games.

Chalobah...(7) Another good game from the Chelsea Loanee, is seeing plenty of the ball in this formation and it's bringing out the best in him, strange how a player can make great 50 yard cross field passes but struggles with 5 yard ones, softening the blow of losing Skusey, my MOTM.

Downes...(6) Went about his business ok but at times we were struggling to win the Midfield battle, loves to get stuck in.

Nolan...(6) I though we followed up last weeks improvement well, he showed what getting a Midfielder into the box can do as he was in the thick of it when we scored. Did ok.

Lankester...(5) A bit of a quiet one on this occasion for the youngster but that will happen, still looked to do the right things in testing conditions.

Sears....(7) He is loving life under PL, was Johnny on the spot again and got a bit of luck which has eluded him for Two years, keep making me eat my words Freddie, I couldn't be happier.

Roberts...(6) Really felt for the guy, we have to remember he is a league Two freebie and yet he works his arse off for little reward, his work ethic is good, just lacks a real bit of quality at times.

SUBS :-

Edwards...(6) Looked a bit more interested this time when he came on, still an asset when on his game.

Dozzell...(5) Little chance to impress and a tough game to come on for.

Jackson..(5) As with Dozzell, little chance to impress and helped see out the game.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for the report Mike.

You know what? Whatever else this season has been and will be, it’s not boring. Even if results and performances continue to improve under PL, we are still in for a battle that might well go on for the length of the season. That will be exciting - if also a bit terrifying - and one side benefit is that our predicament appears to have galvsnised the support after the apathy of the later MM years.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am
Thanks for the report Mike.

You know what? Whatever else this season has been and will be, it’s not boring. Even if results and performances continue to improve under PL, we are still in for a battle that might well go on for the length of the season. That will be exciting - if also a bit terrifying - and one side benefit is that our predicament appears to have galvsnised the support after the apathy of the later MM years.
The atmosphere at matches has been thoroughly enjoyable, and the football had largely been better. Part of me says sod the results this season....

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:55 pm

thanks as always for the excellent report Mike

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Valuable 3 points! What's going on with Edwards, then? I keep reading reports that he seems disinterested. When he first arrived everyone was raving about his abilities. You don't just lose it over night. I wonder if he misses Hurst?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 am

Three very welcome points regardless of how they were achieved or whether or not they were deserved, I for one really don’t care. The most important outcome of the weekend is that we marginally close the gap on the teams immediately above us which must be a tremendous morale booster after weekends when we’ve played better and achieved nothing. Three more points before the end of the year would be nice despite not being able to see where they’re likely to come from.

As always Mike, thanks a million for the report that helps so much those of us far away who can’t get to see the games live.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:27 am

Great report as it always is from Mike many thanks I always look forward to reading it 😎

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 am

Caption: Peterborough players ISIS celebration may have crossed the line....

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm
Valuable 3 points! What's going on with Edwards, then? I keep reading reports that he seems disinterested. When he first arrived everyone was raving about his abilities. You don't just lose it over night. I wonder if he misses Hurst?
To be honest I think he was overrated when he arrived. He had confidence to take people on but was very lucky really, the ball bouncing off his shins in the tackle. He was never going to maintain that luck as he didn't really seem to have the ball under control.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm
number 9 wrote:
To be honest I think he was overrated when he arrived. He had confidence to take people on but was very lucky really, the ball bouncing off his shins in the tackle. He was never going to maintain that luck as he didn't really seem to have the ball under control.
Great to see you posting Andy, welcome back. You could be right regarding Edwards, I was quite impressed with him early doors but maybe it was a case of things being so bad any glimmer of optimism had to be grasped !

One thing I can tell you, we sat behind the players in the stand at Forest and while the likes Harrison, Nsiala, Wright etc were happy to interact with us that c*ck was about as off and rude as he probably could have been, miserable little toad.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Andym wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm
number 9 wrote:
Great to see you posting Andy, welcome back. You could be right regarding Edwards, I was quite impressed with him early doors but maybe it was a case of things being so bad any glimmer of optimism had to be grasped !

One thing I can tell you, we sat behind the players in the stand at Forest and while the likes Harrison, Nsiala, Wright etc were happy to interact with us that c*ck was about as off and rude as he probably could have been, miserable little toad.

His behaviour would suggest he’s very unhappy at Portman Road and regretting joining us which may explain his loss of form and lack of interest on the pitch.