Thoughts from a dog walk...

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Thoughts from a dog walk...

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

I spent a long dog walk today, contemplating our situation as it has been troubling me a great deal in recent weeks (as no doubt it has you all too!). I got to thinking on a few issues - mainly:-
- Would PL leave us if we did get relegated?
- What would League 1 really be like for us? How would it feel at home and away?
- Would I still feel as desolate as I do right now if it happened?

Here are my thoughts - maybe with blue tinted glasses but this is my way of dealing with it...

PL could certainly leave. Money talks and you have to think that someone may want him if they found themselves in a similar situation to our own. However - he came to us knowing the situation and he certainly talks of the long term - whatever the case at the end of the season. I don't think a prem team will want him and most mid table Championship teams (with ambition) would want a more high profile "name". PL wasn't on any of our radar's when we got rid of MM so why would others be making a bee line for him - especially if he had just failed in keeping us up? He is only 49 so it is not like he is looking for a last swan song to his career. If anything, a long term project which may include going back before you can go forwards may be attractive and then give him a shot at one big job before he calls it a day when he is in his mid 50's. That would be on my mind if I were in a similar situation. So it kind of made me feel that, realistically, there is risk he could go but it is by no means a cert to happen and he could build a lasting legacy here if he is given the tools to do so (another big 'if")!

League 1 looks ominous and foreboding for us - but will it really be? Losing our young payers and the free fall continuing is my biggest nightmare, but if we can at least keep the core of the Team and build a little, we could be at the right end of the league and challenging for promotion. I think that away games would not be too dissimilar to today. Yes, the grounds may be less glamorous but we will still take a good away following, I am sure. We have done the smaller grounds when visiting "yo-yo" teams in the Championship (i.e. Scunthorpe etc) so it is not like we haven't experienced the grounds. Indeed, we are taking a good following to Accrington on Saturday for a cup match we dread and where a loss would add more ridicule upon us. I bet those going are quite looking forward to it really though so - if we are winning (or competing) and bringing a good following, I don't think away days will be all doom and gloom. Home however is a different matter. Mike suggested the upper tiers being closed and less than 10K in a post yesterday and I have to agree with him but again, if the team starts to win, it may bring some more solidarity and some extra fans as a promotion push develops. It is the home games I fear the most as the atmosphere has been poor for a long time and it could get worse. Saying that, crowding us into smaller spaces may mean a better atmosphere in those inhabited parts of the ground? Heres hoping!

Finally, I got onto thinking about my season ticket... would I renew? I spend lots of my work life travelling and spend much time with so called "fans"of "bigger clubs" - Madrid, Barca, Juve and the usual British clubs to name but a few and if I am honest, regardless of results, I find myself feeling very happy and upbeat to be genuinely supporting my local team instead of watching my stated team on TV, having never been to see them or living within 100 miles of their ground! I would rather watch Town play at Gillingham at 3pm on a Saturday with 1000 Tractor Boys and Girls than go and watch Huddersfield play Fulham at 4:30 on a Sunday or even Man City play Liverpool at 20:00 on a Thursday night! Maybe I am mad but I just can't get excited about those clubs and their so called 'supporters". So... after much contemplation, will I renew my season ticket? Of course I will! Will I suffer? Of course I will. Will I moan a bit? Of course I will. - but if we start to get wins and challenge and I enjoy the day out, will I still love it and allow it to set the scene and the tone for my whole week? Of course I will!

Sorry for the ramble but I hope it helps others who no doubt are trying to come to terms with the situation as well. Enjoy :mrgreen:

nicscreamer

Re: Thoughts from a dog walk...

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Love it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:17 pm

I will be there when everyone else has long given up, home and away. The away grounds arent an issue for me, love them to death. Lambert will leave without question should we drop. The club will face many years in the wilderness, that is my genuine concern

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm

enjoyed reading that post, im sure most can relate to it! I think PL would consider staying IF (huge IF) he was given the realistic backing he would need to bring us back up, if not I don't think he would want it.

I agree about away following, certainly for the first season with quite a few new grounds, Sunderland have sold out every away game I believe, im not comparing us to them as such but I do think we would take large followings. I think the home atmosphere has been better this season in the main, fans have tried to get behind the team and get some kind of atmosphere going, but yes it hasn't been the best for a few seasons now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:04 pm

Meanwhile, thoughts from the dog;

“Throw the f**king stick, FFS!”

Great post, Wilf.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Nice post.

When you look at league 1 there are a number of teams with previous top flight experience and a large amount of ex championship sides so I think it will be tough but as you say once the shock of relegation goes I think we will look forward to the new season.
As has been mentioned attendances will drop, can never understand this when Sunderland still record 30000 in league 1 and even the scum 25-26000 when they were there.
have never owned a season ticket but if I am entertained I will always return

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 pm

After the initially depression in May and feeling a bit down at the fixture release and seeing some of the shitty names I’m optimistic pre season will be a damn site more positive than the season we have just endured. Let’s hope we have a season like Pompey are this year and enjoy the ride. If the like if Rotherham can get relegated and bounce back no reason why we can’t.

I don’t see Lambert leaving trough choice, he will be here next season unless sacked.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:04 pm
Meanwhile, thoughts from the dog;

“Throw the f**king stick, FFS!”

Great post, Wilf.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Great post Wilf

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:21 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:26 pm
After the initially depression in May and feeling a bit down at the fixture release and seeing some of the shitty names I’m optimistic pre season will be a damn site more positive than the season we have just endured. Let’s hope we have a season like Pompey are this year and enjoy the ride. If the like if Rotherham can get relegated and bounce back no reason why we can’t.

I don’t see Lambert leaving trough choice, he will be here next season unless sacked.
That's probably pretty much how it will be for me but much depends on Lambert's situation and who we can keep at the club, a good start would be vital. The fixture release will actually be exciting planning new trips.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Envisaged this were a Roy Keane issue when witnessed the title but keeping it short :

#1 Don't believe Lambert would vacate. Not so soon after coming in. Been given a task to undertake and would be aware of the demands and requisite duties at time of appointment. Maybe at the end of the first season of League One IF the team sees a relegation he would reconsider his position but it's all conjecture at this point in time.

#2 It would be tough there can be no dispute. Already the clubs record against lower league opposition both pre-season and elimination participation is sub-standard. To face off against the same caliber of opponent over a continuous nine month duration could cause serious issues.

#3 That's for yourself to answer. Personally it won't constitute the greatest distress or upset - many seem prepared already for such a scenario - the only thing left to acknowledge it that could take maybe four or five years to retain second league status. Recalling the stellar time in the EPL back in the early 2000's will seem a very distant recollection.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:53 am

saint jude wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:18 pm
.....Been given a task to undertake and would be aware of the demands and requisite duties at time of appointment......
Think the task he undertook was to avoid the club being relegated. Really don’t think part of the discussion about his duties was to get Ipswich Town promoted again after relegation.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 pm

:D we are not going down, we are not going down, we are not Fooking going down, we will survive, PL aint going nowhere end of, he's got a massive job to do here, so we must all be positive right to the end, no negativity, PL can do it, I have faith in you PL, COYB

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:21 pm

No negativity ?? 😂😂 Ash coming from you that is a classic mate.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 pm

Don’t want to fry your brain, Ash, but ......
ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 pm
.....PL aint going nowhere....
....., that means he’s going somewhere. No?

My opinion, he’s off if the club are relegated. He’s done the League One thing and the subsequent EPL promotion thing. He’ll earn more cash elsewhere.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:40 pm

I’d always support my home team club rather than one I chose as a kid just because they were “Top of the League”,

I can just about remember Town winning the 3rd Division South in 1957, one of my friends dad (Neil Myles) played for Town and I can still picture many of the players. Tommy Parker who used to work in the ticket office/supporters shop when it was at the back of the old Churchmans Stand, Roy Bailey, Basil Acres, Larry Carberry, Kenny Malcolm, John Ellsworthy, Doug Millward, Dennis Thrower, Doug Millward, Tom Garneys and of course Ted Phillips, i’m Sure if I dig deep I could think of a few others although of course the squads were much smaller in those days. I also used to watch the reserves play on alternative Saturday afternoons and in the winter games kicked off earlier as there were no flood lights.

All this said after watching Town play through the Robson years and having players like Muhren and Thijssen etc and 10 full Internationals in the team I find the thought of playing in League One totally depressing and can’t believe this has been allowed to happen.

Even worse I have no confidence whatsoever in our current owners having any interest in getting our football club back into the Championship and I blame him totally for the demise of our club.