Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town (EFLT) Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we make it to the next stage?

Posh Win
62%
Town Win
23%
Shootout
15%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town (EFLT) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 am

Image Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town Image

English Football League Trophy

Wednesday 4th December 2019 – 19:30

Weston Homes Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Unfortunately Mike is dealing with more important family matters this week, so unless he get's a sec to update this thread, you will have to live without his opinions for this fixture.

The Opposition – Peterborough United

Peterborough United formed in 1934 at Peterborough's Angel Hotel to provide a replacement for Peterborough & Fletton United, who had folded two years previously. The Posh played in the old Midland League. They won this league on six occasions, including five seasons in a row from 1956 to 1960. The Posh were elected to The Football League for the beginning of the 1960–61 season, winning Division Four.

Following the Fourth Division Championship success in 1960–61, The Posh spent seven seasons in the 3rd Division. They reached the quarter-finals of the 1964–65 FA Cup, beating Arsenal and Swansea Town along the way before going out to Chelsea. They were relegated back to the 4th Division for financial irregularities in the summer of 1968. The club took six seasons to return to Division 3, winning the 4th Division championship.

In 1977–78 the club threatened to go one better until they narrowly missed out on promotion to Division 2 when they drew the last game of the season at champions Wrexham (0–0) when a win was needed to go up. The game was notable for the fact that over 2,000 Preston North End fans travelled to Wrexham to watch the game and cheer on the home side – Preston were the club who went up because Peterborough did not win. The Wrexham defeat cast a long shadow over the club and it fell into a long decline. Relegation followed in 1979 and Posh subsequently spent 12 years back in the 4th division. The 1980s was a long story of mismanagement and false dawns, punctuated by the odd cup run.

In January 1991, Chris Turner, who had played in the 1974 Fourth division championship team took over as manager and the team embarked on a run of 13 unbeaten games that propelled them into the top four. Six players were signed on transfer deadline day, which at the time was a record for the number of players signed by one club on a single day. On the final day of the season, Posh travelled to Chesterfield needing a win to seal promotion. Despite going two goals down in the first ten minutes, the team rallied and drew level with goals from David Robinson and George Berry. However, Posh's closest rivals, Blackpool lost at Walsall and promotion was achieved.

The following season arguably remains the most successful in the club's history. After an inconsistent start the team hit form during the Autumn when they knocked Wimbledon and Newcastle United out of the League Cup. The reward was a home tie with a Liverpool. Garry Kimble scored the only goal after 19 minutes prompting wild celebrations and a place in the quarter-finals. In the league, the team went from strength to strength and surged up the table. Middlesbrough ended the League Cup run after a replay and there was further disappointment when the team missed out on a trip to Wembley in the Football League Trophy when they lost to Stoke City over two legs in the area final.

Progress continued in the league and a play-off place was clinched on the last day of the season despite a 1–0 defeat to champions Brentford. The following week, Huddersfield Town came to London Road for the first leg of the Semi-final. Captain Mick Halsall's last minute equaliser levelled the score at 2–2. Three days later, the supporters travelled north more in hope than expectation but they were rewarded when the team came from a goal down to win 2–1 with Worrell Sterling and Steve Cooper scoring the goals. On 24 May 1992, Peterborough United played at Wembley for the first time, against Stockport County in the Third Division playoff final. With Posh winning 2–1 and gaining promotion to the new First division. They played in Football League Division One between 1992 and 1994 and finished 10th, their highest ever league finish, in 1992–93 season.

During the 2005–06 season the club had three managers: Team owner Barry Fry returned to management following former England international Mark Wright's sacking in January 2006. Wright's assistant Steve Bleasdale was then appointed acting manager, but resigned in April. Keith Alexander joined as manager from Lincoln City for 2006–07 but was sacked in January 2007 after a run of poor form and was replaced by Darren Ferguson. He led the club to back-to-back promotions from League Two to the Championship in his two full seasons in charge. By November 2009 Posh were bottom of the Championship and Ferguson left the club, to be replaced by Mark Cooper. In February 2010, after only 13 games in charge, Cooper also left the club and Jim Gannon was appointed in his place. Following confirmation of relegation from the Championship after a 2–2 draw at Barnsley, Gannon was replaced by Gary Johnson.

Gary Johnson left the club on 10 January 2011 due to policy disagreement. Two days after Johnson's departure, Darren Ferguson returned to the club on a four and a half-year contract. Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010-11 Football League One with one of the worst defensive records in the third tier, conceding over 70 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season. Peterborough beat Milton Keynes Dons in the playoff semi-finals. They defeated Huddersfield Town in the Final with a 3–0 victory, and gained promotion back to the Championship.

Darren Ferguson led the team to safety in its first season back in the Championship, leading to a finish in 18th. However, the Posh were relegated back the following season, after losing to Crystal Palace 3–2 on 4 May 2013, the final match of the season.

Darren Ferguson ended his time as Peterborough United manager on 21 February 2015, following a 3–0 defeat at Milton Keynes Dons.

Over the proceeding League 1 seasons Peterborough finished 9th in the 2014/15 season, 13th in the 2015/16 season, 11th in the 2016/17 season, 9th in the 2017/18 season and 7th last season.

Ferguson was re-appointed as manager on 26 January 2019 for the third time with a deal agreed until the end of season after the dismissal of Steve Evans, with Gavin Strachan as his assistant.

The Manager – Darren Ferguson

Match Referee – Graham Salisbury

PETERBOROUGH UNITED 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Tangfastic

Re: Peterborough United vs Ipswich Town (EFLT) Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:42 am

I’ve got no interest in the tournament, but want us to go out to win this game.

The season’s gone a little flat and I think we need a good result and performance - even if it’s in a Mickey Mouse tournament. If anything, just to keep the fans onside and to give us a bit of a lift. There’s a bit of rivalry between us and Posh so that adds some niggle factor. Lambert’s said he’ll put out a strong side for this one, but that could mean anything. Good luck to anyone picking the team.
Just feel if we timidly lose this one then it’ll add to some frustrations and questions about the team, even though the league is all-important. I’d hate to see Posh get bragging rights and I’m sure the Posh owner and manager will be out on social media sticking the boot in if they beat us.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am

Sadly I can only see one result , a Posh win, purely because we continue to play one up front and don’t play to our strengths . But I’d be very happy to be proved wrong . COYBs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 am

The tournament aside, (agree with most, who cares) .... but a win would bring all the good positive vibes. Itd be good for morale going back to the gorgeous city of Coventry at the weekend. Hopefully a 2-1 ITFC win tonight.

Ref caption: (thinks): f*ck, I’m old. Must give this guessing game malarkey up.

Ground caption:
Chairman: “WTF? The Osh?”
Head contractor: “Bob is off for a “P” right now, Sir.”

Darren Ferguson:
How many sugar in yer tea, boss?
DF: “TWO”

The opposition caption:
Guy standing to the left of the blue guy: (thinks): I am freaked the hell out with this guy standing next to me.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:27 am
Sadly I can only see one result , a Posh win, purely because we continue to play one up front and don’t play to our strengths . But I’d be very happy to be proved wrong . COYBs
I agree. But I think even 2 up front won't be enough. A second string team, and we currently are struggling to create chances. If Peterborough put out a strong team it could be a heavy defeato assuming we play a weakened defence. Peterborough can certainly score.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:11 am

Hopefully not one of those REALLY heavy Posh defeats, AndyM.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 am

Andym wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 am
hallamblue wrote:
I agree. But I think even 2 up front won't be enough. A second string team, and we currently are struggling to create chances. If Peterborough put out a strong team it could be a heavy defeato assuming we play a weakened defence. Peterborough can certainly score.
Can a second string Peterborough be as potent

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-9162913

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:34 am

If they dont play Toney and Eisa we have a great chance

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:08 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 am
Andym wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 am
hallamblue wrote:
Can a second string Peterborough be as potent

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/spo ... -1-9162913
That's good news....we shouldn't get hammered.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Anyone else going ?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:14 pm
Anyone else going ?
ifollow for me.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Anyone else going ?
Anyone else stupid enough...... :shock:

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sadly i feel the same Hallam.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:27 pm

AylesburyBlue wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Anyone else going ?
Anyone else stupid enough...... :shock:
Only proper fans :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm

How many daft ones do we have ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Only one by the looks but the real daft ones will be the "I am not interested in this crap cup" brigade who'd suddenly want a tkt for Wembley in the very unlikely event we got there.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:29 pm
How many daft ones do we have ?
If you had seen the coaches... a good fair few.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Gonna be a kid in goal tonite me thinks

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 pm
Only one by the looks but the real daft ones will be the "I am not interested in this crap cup" brigade who'd suddenly want a tkt for Wembley in the very unlikely event we got there.
Quite right, Mike.

You remind me of a few Hibees who refused to get other people 2016 cup final tickets when the cabbage were still in the Scottish Championship.

Big Brian: Had Graham on the phone asking for tickets.
Me: What did you say?
BB: Nope. Fk off!

😂

Enjoy the game ...... 4-0 ITFC prediction from the prediction genius!

Edit to add: I ended up getting graham and his daughter tickets. Too soft!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Crumbs.

Who’s Henderson? Centre back?

We’ve got the Polish sounding welsh goalkeeper in goal

Barry Cotter has come from nowhere.

McGAvin and El Mizouni and Dobra - fair enough.

Skuse and Norwood there.

Strong side, Lambo.... we’re not idiots.

And who is J. Alley on the bench?

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:53 pm

I think this side suggests he cares more than he lets on but is playing enough kids to style out a loss....kind of clever kind of dumb

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:46 pm
I agree. Hope it's a good game and hope you enjoy it. Can't see a win with the lineup but it's good experience for the youngsters.....and will be brilliant for them if they get a result.

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Small crowd
Last edited by Ando on Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:47 pm

That should give the lads a lift.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:51 pm
Crumbs.

Who’s Henderson? Centre back?

We’ve got the Polish sounding welsh goalkeeper in goal

Barry Cotter has come from nowhere.

McGAvin and El Mizouni and Dobra - fair enough.

Skuse and Norwood there.

Strong side, Lambo.... we’re not idiots.

And who is J. Alley on the bench?
Barry Cotter i said he should get a chance 😁

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Goal Ipswich Idris El Mizouni 23rd min

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:04 pm

f**king Huws

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:08 pm

1-1 R Jade-Jones 32nd min

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:12 pm

That’s a shame, I thought we’d nick this 0-1 but that definitely won’t be happening now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:22 pm

They look more threatening going forward, we've played some ok stuff at times from Roberts, El Mizouni and McGavin but Huws has been putrid throughout. Defence has looked shaky at times, particularly Cotter who looks better going forward than he does defending. Keeper looks handy. If They bring their main strikers on they win it.