Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Coventry Part II

Coventry Win
18%
Ipswich Win
55%
Draw
27%

Total votes: 11

Andym

Re: Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:50 pm

A lad I know who knows Wolfenden from his school days thinks he is Ipswich through and through and will have no desire to leave. Hopefully he's sensible enough to think he's better off here playing every week.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:38 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:13 pm
I couldn't make the Coventry match and obviously was disappointed when we lost our 1-0 lead BUT as has already been pointed out, Coventry's home record is as good if not better than all the teams in Lg 1 and they didn't win against us.I'll stand by my post a few weeks ago when I said we'll win this league. We have the biggest squad in the division and Lamberts rotation system, whilst not always comfortable for us the fans will I'm sure prove its worth during the winter slog. As Mike pointed out I can't see Wycombe staying top for very long. A lot of our team are very young and will get better and better as long as we can hang onto them and give them game time.
I also think WHEN we are promoted we'll comfortably be ready for the Championship with maybe just a few additions. My worry is the New Year transfer window. Championship clubs are already sniffing around Downes and Wolfendon and with the paucity of decent British Centre Backs I could see Luke in particular attracting Premier League clubs. That should test ME's resolve!
Finally thanks Bluemike for your "glass half full" attitude. There is some negativity creeping into some of the posts. We don't want to become another TWTD!!
Cheers bud, maybe at times I'm too confident but I genuinely believe we are doing ok and in a good place to kick on in the second half of the season, I always try to be a Glass half full person and sometimes it kicks you up the arse but I also think the cautious/negative approach rears it's head way to easily sometimes. The beauty of it is we all have an opinion which makes for good debate.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:14 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:13 pm
I couldn't make the Coventry match and obviously was disappointed when we lost our 1-0 lead BUT as has already been pointed out, Coventry's home record is as good if not better than all the teams in Lg 1 and they didn't win against us.I'll stand by my post a few weeks ago when I said we'll win this league. We have the biggest squad in the division and Lamberts rotation system, whilst not always comfortable for us the fans will I'm sure prove its worth during the winter slog. As Mike pointed out I can't see Wycombe staying top for very long. A lot of our team are very young and will get better and better as long as we can hang onto them and give them game time.
I also think WHEN we are promoted we'll comfortably be ready for the Championship with maybe just a few additions. My worry is the New Year transfer window. Championship clubs are already sniffing around Downes and Wolfendon and with the paucity of decent British Centre Backs I could see Luke in particular attracting Premier League clubs. That should test ME's resolve!
Finally thanks Bluemike for your "glass half full" attitude. There is some negativity creeping into some of the posts. We don't want to become another TWTD!!
Why?

I'm sorry but I just cannot see any logic in this opinion. We are almost halfway through the season, and Wycombe are top and clear. If they can achieve that in half a season surely it's no mere fluke, so why should they not stay there?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:18 pm

From my point ov view its purely on what I saw and I honestly thought they were dire, probably as bad as I've seen at Portman road this season.

But applying your logic then there is no reason to suggest we cant stay second and get promoted so I'll take that.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:26 pm

The question I ask myself is " Are ITFC playing the best football they can or we expect?" The answer is certainly No... So by playing nothing like the football I think we can and should be playing (with the players we have), we have managed to stay 2nd and actually have a small run in 2 cup competitions.... That fills me with hope. If we can improve even slightly we should have a great 2nd half to the season and get promoted.

Glass half full? f*ck yes why not? The alternative is to get myself wound up every week and upset that we haven't won this league already.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Personally I'm not worried about promotion. I didn't expect it and still don't. And I think we are far from ready for the Championship.

More to the point is I'm far happier watching the football we produced in the first half on Saturday than the sh*te that Wycombe dished up.
That might sound lack sour grapes, but when we manage to play football on the ground I'm happy. Of course I love to see us win every game but this was my argument under McCarthy; it's ok playing boring long ball football when you're winning. When the winning stops there's nothing left. Try to play good football and it's worth watching regardless of the result.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:00 pm
Personally I'm not worried about promotion. I didn't expect it and still don't. And I think we are far from ready for the Championship.

More to the point is I'm far happier watching the football we produced in the first half on Saturday than the sh*te that Wycombe dished up.
That might sound lack sour grapes, but when we manage to play football on the ground I'm happy. Of course I love to see us win every game but this was my argument under McCarthy; it's ok playing boring long ball football when you're winning. When the winning stops there's nothing left. Try to play good football and it's worth watching regardless of the result.
I also don’t think we’re ready for the championship, but we should cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Is any promotion-seeking team really ready for the step up?

The danger is - if we don’t get promoted this season then we get stuck in this league and lose our best players. There’s no guarantee we’ll be playing lovely football next season in this league if we lose our best players. There’s no reason why we can’t play good football and win games. We should have had the Coventry game sown up at HT playing decent football.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:45 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:22 pm

The danger is - if we don’t get promoted this season then we get stuck in this league and lose our best players. There’s no guarantee we’ll be playing lovely football next season in this league if we lose our best players. There’s no reason why we can’t play good football and win games. We should have had the Coventry game sown up at HT playing decent football.
I agree. But until we can match the opposition for 90 minutes that isn't going to happen. I think both sets of fans can say they should have won convincingly on Saturday. And that's pretty much the story of our season. Not sure if it's tactical naivety or a squad lacking game-changers, but either way I'll just enjoy the good bits.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:04 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:26 pm
The question I ask myself is " Are ITFC playing the best football they can or we expect?" The answer is certainly No... So by playing nothing like the football I think we can and should be playing (with the players we have), we have managed to stay 2nd and actually have a small run in 2 cup competitions.... That fills me with hope. If we can improve even slightly we should have a great 2nd half to the season and get promoted.

Glass half full? f*ck yes why not? The alternative is to get myself wound up every week and upset that we haven't won this league already.
That first paragraph is exactly it, bang on for me and what I've been alluding to for some time !!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:05 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:00 pm

Spot on, they were indeed sh*te on the day.