Ipswich Town vs Arsenal U21 Preview & Matchday Thread - EFLT Cup

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

More 'cup' action

Town Win
63%
Arse Win
13%
Penalties
25%

Total votes: 8

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Arsenal U21 Preview & Matchday Thread - EFLT Cup

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:19 am

Yes Derick, honest assessment, only thing for me is Arsenal's kids are normally the best there is so comparing them to Villa or Leeds kids isn't relevant for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:21 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:52 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:24 am
Pretty much spot on Tang, one pleasing thing is we are creating a lot of chances in both games, we need to take them when on top, 17 attempts last night I believe.
It’s such early days yet and I’d say that team isn’t our strongest by any means . Seems we lost our way after changes to side early in second half?

Looking forward to Sunday anyway
It is a long way off our strongest side but we should have been comfortable after 44 minutes of total comfort, our substitutions did seem to have an adverse effect for sure.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:44 am

I didn't see last night's match, instead opting for the radio commentary. I was thinking back to last year when we played Spurs U21 I think. For parts of the game then, I felt they played better than we did. It was as the game wore on that the fitness and strength of men overcame the boys.

This time round, is it possible that after a very short pre-season we aren't fully match fit and that (a long with substitutions that weakened the trzm) is why we struggled second half? Perhaps those who watched it could say if they think that is a possibility.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 pm

I dunno. I would have thought we would have overcome them physically as the game wore on. But they seemed to handle us pretty well until the last few minutes when we had a bit of a flourish.

Maybe one of the reasons Lambert stuck with roughly the same team was not just about continuity, but to get more minutes in their legs.

But surely all teams must have the same disrupted pre-season?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:22 pm

It is possible because the first half was so comfortable it was untrue and we looked sharp and hungry again although a notch down from the Bristol Rovers performance, Darren Ambrose even said in commentary that he could see it ending Four or Five nil, had we managed to see out the last 30 seconds of the first half I believe we win the game comfortably.

The second half saw them with confidence and a spring in their step while we looked like we withdrew into ourselves a bit, the passing became slow and laboured and the movement wasn't there so maybe fitness told on us a bit as you suggest. I certainly don't believe there is need for any great inquest as some like to do after every defeat but I am expecting Sunday to be much more like the first game in terms of intensity and looking to get forward than last night.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:50 pm

I think the Arsenal U21s could beat most teams in league one. It's funny how fans are over-reacting to the loss. If anything we should be pleased we won't have another meaningless cup distraction with the risk of injuries.

On another note, I just read the Wigan game may not happen!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:01 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:50 pm
I think the Arsenal U21s could beat most teams in league one. It's funny how fans are over-reacting to the loss. If anything we should be pleased we won't have another meaningless cup distraction with the risk of injuries.

Sorry to have to tell you, but this stage of the EFL trophy is a mini league. We’ve got crunch games against Crawley and Gillingham to come.

I don’t know how good these under 21 teams are. Good chance in a few years time the vast majority of these players will have dropped down the leagues or drifted out of football. Very few make it at their parent club.

It’s a strange pre-season... no big deal... put it down to lack of fitness or a bump in the road.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:01 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Sorry to have to tell you, but this stage of the EFL trophy is a mini league. We’ve got crunch games against Crawley and Gillingham to come.

I don’t know how good these under 21 teams are. Good chance in a few years time the vast majority of these players will have dropped down the leagues or drifted out of football. Very few make it at their parent club.

It’s a strange pre-season... no big deal... put it down to lack of fitness or a bump in the road.
Great! I forgot about the mini-league format. :roll: