Championship - Ipswich Town vs Cardiff City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 Championship points?

Ipswich Win
77%
Cardiff Win
No votes
Draw
23%

Total votes: 13

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Cardiff City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Freddie awarded MOTM, so pleased for him. đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:58 pm

Charnwood wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:56 pm
lucy wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:54 pm
Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:46 pm
Freddie not started a game since Port Vale in April. He may well be starting next Saturday.
No Game next Saturday. We don't play again until the 16th

Yea just heard that in commentary. Even better Portman Road will be buzzing for two weeks on the back of this come back.
The Ground went Mental when 3rd Goal went in.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:00 pm

is it over yet, are we still ahead. Can't get a proper goddamn signal, connection is sub-standard. Can ascertain we were two goals behind and went ahead 3 - 2. Guess want it over now and take the victory.

think they're still playing there, imagine we're going to win but can't sit on it until it's confirmed. This will be one of the results or highlights of the season even at an early stage if we take a win from this.

smaltydude

Post by smaltydude » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:02 pm

Good result and Great comeback. Backline still needs improvement however

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:03 pm

That league table has a better look to it tonight. Still very early days yes, but 4 wins from 5 is still better than any of us would've dreamt of.
Can't believe Preston are top after how we dismantled them in that friendly!!
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:03 pm

6 mins added......, BBC goes to 90 (+7)......., but over now.

VERY well done lads and manager with all the tactical changes @ 0-2. Deserved victory. WELL DONE!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:07 pm

Anyone know how Norwich got on?

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:09 pm

Mauswara wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:07 pm
Anyone know how Norwich got on?
Lost 2-1.

Wish I'd have put a few quid on that comeback! What a result!!

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:10 pm

Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:57 pm
Freddie awarded MOTM, so pleased for him. đź‘Źđź‘Źđź‘Ź
Well deserved.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:11 pm

i got a full time in that we've won. Not only that Norwich went down at Rotherham, those are two real encouraging scores. Any Pink Un' viewers, shove that up your as*.

Don't always view highlights but seems a must later on to take in what occurred today. Portman Road must have be real vibrant right now what with the aforementioned other score. We haven't always played at our best so far this season and procured one or two fortunate scores but today at least will send a message to other competitors. Got to believe we showed resilience and character to turn a defeat into victory. Look forward to viewing further game report and reaction when time permits it.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:13 pm

This league is anyone's to win ...its a case of who has the better squad and fitter will stay the course .fitness has never been an issue..so if we can get in two or 3 more and avoid injuries we can be up there

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:23 pm

What an unbelievable second half, that comeback showed great character, quite what was up first half god only knows but that's how to turn it around. The substitutions were sublime even if One or Two were forced upon us.

It goes to show that when Broadhead and Chaplin offer a contribution we are so dangerous, they didn't first half and it showed. I still feel Clarke and Hirst shouldn't have started, neither looked fit.

A cracking strike from Broadhead and Two real poachers goals from Freddie, getting in the right place at the right time was key and he does it so well, I'm really pleased for him after some of the negative drivel I read at times, same for Hladky, was called everything under the sun last week after player so well all season and then pulls off a worldy today that saves us from defeat, pleased for him too, we win together we lose together.

I also thought Hutchinson and Williams were excellent when they came on a linked up really well, the kid making the second goal, I apologise to Williams he looks the real deal.

The ground just erupted when the second and third went in, the noise was deafening!! One thing is for sure its going to be exciting this season whatever happens.

Proud of the boys tonight and proud to be a Blue, my Anniversary meal and wine is gonna taste so much better tonight!!!
COYB'S.
IPSWICH TIL I DIE

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:39 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:23 pm
What an unbelievable second half, that comeback showed great character, quite what was up first half god only knows but that's how to turn it around. The substitutions were sublime even if One or Two were forced upon us.

It goes to show that when Broadhead and Chaplin offer a contribution we are so dangerous, they didn't first half and it showed. I still feel Clarke and Hirst shouldn't have started, neither looked fit.

A cracking strike from Broadhead and Two real poachers goals from Freddie, getting in the right place at the right time was key and he does it so well, I'm really pleased for him after some of the negative drivel I read at times, same for Hladky, was called everything under the sun last week after player so well all season and then pulls off a worldy today that saves us from defeat, pleased for him too, we win together we lose together.

I also thought Hutchinson and Williams were excellent when they came on a linked up really well, the kid making the second goal, I apologise to Williams he looks the real deal.

The ground just erupted when the second and third went in, the noise was deafening!! One thing is for sure its going to be exciting this season whatever happens.

Proud of the boys tonight and proud to be a Blue, my Anniversary meal and wine is gonna taste so much better tonight!!!
COYB'S.
IPSWICH TIL I DIE
Couldn't have out it better. A thoroughly cracking afternoon - felt like the old days! Enjoy the evening everyone - that was a privilege to be part of. COYB's!!

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:04 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:23 pm

COYB'S.
IPSWICH TIL I DIE

Enjoy your meal and anniversary Mike

Reading posts like yours is really what football is all about. What a great first 5 games of the season Ipswich have had, very early of course in the season. Still 12 pts cannot take away from us

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:42 pm

For me it was the Hutchinson and Williams substitutions that swung the game. Harry Clarke who looks good going forward was getting roasted all afternoon by Grant on Cardiff’s left wing and had to take at least a share of the blame for both our goals conceded. After the substitutions Hutch & Williams at times doubled up on Grant and kept him quiet for the final 15 mins and apart from this they both linked up extremely well going forward and added pace and purpose to our attack which had previously been pedestrian.

I said early in that Cardiff had reduced the speed of the game to walking pace and if we had any desire to win we had to up the pace, Hutchinson and Williams definitely achieved this and we looked so much better with them on the pitch

I think we could well see some changes in the starting X1 in two weeks time when we visit Hillsborough.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:48 pm

Echo Mikes report . We went absolutely mental when the goals went in : and what a bloody noise in the stadium today . Absolutely deafening at times!

Not sure what was going on with us first half. Burns and Clarke seemed to be moaning at each other and neither were working well as a unit. Burns was a lazy arse and wasn’t tracking back. Thus seemed to leave Clarke very exposed. There was aches of space down that right defensive corner. Burgess looks to be struggling with the step up and Clarke doesn’t appear fit, nor does Hirst.

Freddie came in and his best game is when he received the ball in that box . He’s a true Fox in the Box type of striker. His 2nd goal a sublime flick. Broadhead reminds me a little of Eric Gates. Seemingly not in the game, then BANG ‼️ It’s in the back of the net / what a powerful strike that was.

Morsy (never less than 8/10 performance every game) was EVERYWHERE. He runs on bloody rocket fuel . What a player he is!

Williams looked every bit a Premier league right back when he came on and boy, can he tackle! But he has a deft touch of a pass on him too. I can see x very effective right sided partnership building between him and young Hutchinson, who is getting better each game. Burns, your place might be at risk mate!

Final word for an absolutely outstanding goal keeping display . I have no idea how Hladky made some if the saved he made today. He kept us in touch at the half way stage of the game with what I can only describe as a “ Worldie”! Walton will be another player who might not get his shirt back.

This Ipswich squad has such a resilience about it. They never give up and they keep a cool head when things are going against them.But my parting words are, I don’t trust our defensive unit. Hopefully the player on trial can provide us with that element of experience, because we need it.

But well played today Town - 3more points , oh, and scum lost : A perfick weekend 🥳🥳🥳💙

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 02, 2023 7:55 pm

Potentially a HUGELY important win. Going in to an international break, you don't want to be off the back of a couple of losses and starting to ask questions and doubt yourself and each other. The comeback will keep the feel good factor at the club through the next fortnight and give the team some confidence when facing adversity through this season. Cardiff are the kind of team you have to beat at home if you wish to have a decent season.

Can only echo sentiments about the defence though, I'm surprised it's not been bolstered, but there is still the loan market and a few have come in, plus Clarke is getting up to match fitness.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:05 pm

Well, that was every bit as difficult as I expected. I thought they were much better than us first half.
Credit where credit is due, though, turning a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 victory is no mean feat.

I was really pleased for Ladapo - and I hope he is now given a run of starts. For me, he has more Championship pedigree than the rest of our forwards put together, and he would always be in my starting line-up.

I think that bringing on Hutchinson and Williams really changed the game - in my view Burns is in real danger of losing his place in the starting line-up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:41 pm

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:59 pm

Be interesting to hear what those who saw the whole game thought of Clarke. But from the snippets I've seen, he's either woefully unfit and shouldn't have been allowed within a mile of the pitch, or he should be ashamed of how he played. Lazy to close down on their first goal, he should have been busting a bollock to get to that man and keep him as wide as he could, limiting the danger of the situation. And just walking about flat on his heels for their second goal build up, sure he was marking and covering his man, he'd say, but in such a dangerous area, you're on the balls of your feet ready to react to whatever may happen, or you stay away from the first team, that was pathetic.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:36 pm

I kept saying to Mike “ somethings not right out there today”,( down that right side). Burns snd Clarke seemed to be moaning at one another the whole of the game. Clarke doesn’t look fit so maybe can’t get up into the balls of his feet given his Achilles tendon problem? But I’m sticking my neck here and questioning just what the hell Burns was doing for most of the game? Where was he defensively when not in possession? Clarke was left to deal with it all. Totally different when Williams/ Hutchinson came in . They worked together I thought….

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:45 pm

Burns has always been poor defensively, reluctant, in my opinion. It's one problem with playing three up top, your wide men are far forward and your midfield can be outnumbered and struggle to cover full width. Solution to the problem, you need super fit players out wide, who can cover more area and get up and down the pitch. Burns ain't that, and so if Clarke wasn't fully fit, you stick Williams in, or anyone in, but not someone nursing an issue. Hmmm, maybe got away with one there then, hopefully Clarke trains well for the couple weeks, or Williams is preferred.

Have to say Woolfy should probably have had eyes for runners for their first goal too, caught a bit ball watching, maybe because he knew Clarke was struggling and was covering if he was about to be skinned!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:50 pm

To be honest I thought Clarke should not have been anywhere near the starting line up, wasn't fit. Burns was woeful first half but much better after the break, he wasn't alone in that respect.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:51 pm

rossi wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:05 pm
Well, that was every bit as difficult as I expected. I thought they were much better than us first half.
Credit where credit is due, though, turning a 2-0 deficit into a 3-2 victory is no mean feat.

I was really pleased for Ladapo - and I hope he is now given a run of starts. For me, he has more Championship pedigree than the rest of our forwards put together, and he would always be in my starting line-up.

I think that bringing on Hutchinson and Williams really changed the game - in my view Burns is in real danger of losing his place in the starting line-up.
Thank you !!! Spot on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:59 pm

Ricco wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:59 pm
Be interesting to hear what those who saw the whole game thought of Clarke. But from the snippets I've seen, he's either woefully unfit and shouldn't have been allowed within a mile of the pitch, or he should be ashamed of how he played. Lazy to close down on their first goal, he should have been busting a bollock to get to that man and keep him as wide as he could, limiting the danger of the situation. And just walking about flat on his heels for their second goal build up, sure he was marking and covering his man, he'd say, but in such a dangerous area, you're on the balls of your feet ready to react to whatever may happen, or you stay away from the first team, that was pathetic.
I watched the whole game albeit on TownTV but sometimes you can see it clearer on tv than you do in the stadium especially if the action is at the opposite end of the ground. For me Harry Clarke had his poorest game in a town shirt today and looks very vulnerable when being run at by a player with pace and looks much better when going forward than when he’s defending. Personally I think Cardiff had done their homework and targeted him today after his similar poor performance v Leeds last Saturday which they must have watched. He may have been carrying an injury but for me that’s less likely when Brandon Williams is available and in my opinion a better option, therefore there was no reason to take any risks. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t lose his place to Williams when we play Sheffield Wednesday in two weeks time. In fact I think there could be one or two players coming into contention for that game including Hutchinson and Ladapo.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:28 am

Once again, a great fight back and to get the win is amazing! Said after the Leeds match Clarke was unfit and Freddie should have started. For me, Ladapo has earned the start and Williams needs to replace Clarke. Maybe Clarke should be used as CB when he regains fitness? Not sure what’s going on with Burns. Maybe he doesn’t like competition? In fairness, he’s been brilliant in the past but he needs to up his game. Great subs by the Messiah today! Well done Ipswich Town! Let’s keep this juggernaut rolling!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:53 am

Don't know why Hirst was taken off after a half hour. Picked up a knock or something. Guess McKenna saw something wasn't working and made the change. Replacement Ladapo proved a useful switch although his second and winning strike won't win no goal of the season award.

Took in highlights or what were available and what seems or is a concern is the defense. Quite recent the team were real robust in keeping goals out and we didn't concede for games at a time but now we're allowing any opposition a goal or two what seems almost regular. I got faith in Vaclav in that he's a useful addition but the immediate players in front just don't seem as capable as once before.

28,000 represented another fine crowd and everyone got value for money. Feel kind of sympathy that the losers had a long trip back to South Wales in the manner they were defeated. All told we have no issue in scoring goals but the occasion we concede seems or is far more prevalent than before. Jumped from sixth position to second in one game. Years back under different managers no way would that turnabout have occurred out there. Under Hurst, Cook or Lambert etc we'd either tie the game, lose 1 - 2 or they'd (have) win by a bigger score.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:23 am

Watched highlights and i reckon the major negative from yesterday is Harry not being fit and the comments regarding that. He is a VERY good player and would normally bust a gut.
Never critical of Kieron, ever really……. But thst was a huge misjudgement. Clearly the lad wasnt ready. To have fans label him “pathetic” is 100% on management in this particular case.
International break comes at the right time. Give Kieron and the medical staff time to help Harry out.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:28 pm

Check out the Women's scores from weekend action. Both teams believe occupy a National League Southern Premier Division.

Ipswich women squad beat Plymouth by 7 - 1

while Cardiff Ladies got whacked 9 - 0 by Portsmouth. (nine)

guess it time bar quiz could offer a question like when did Cardiff concede 12 goals over 2 games over one weekend. Or something.