Championship - Bristol City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tricky fixture?

Bristol Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
71%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Bristol City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:35 am

Image Bristol City v Ipswich TownImage

Wednesday 25th October 2023 – 19:45

Ashton Gate - 15:00

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Friday nights trip to Rotherham turned into a complete and utter farce with the game seemingly given the go ahead by the club themselves, despite the best efforts of storm Babet, only to have it called off less than Three hours before kick off thanks to the nearby River bursting it's banks, something the locals had warned all and sundry was about to happen throughout the day, sadly in this day and age Money and TV talks and and while we all have our own opinions on the events I personally feel that game would have been called off in the morning had it not been scheduled for TV, either way the handling of it all beggars belief.

I suppose it has to be said that there is a positive side to this as far as Town are concerned, we get another Five days break for any niggles or travel fatigue to be sorted out, we also don't go into battle on a pitch which would, without question, have suited the home side far more than it would Town, with their high ball nonsense and direct style being far more effective than Town's cultured build up play on the deck so in that sense we can take positives from a bitterly disappointing evening, especially for those that rolled into depressing Rotherham just as the decision was being made.

As it turned out the weekend was a pretty decent one without us even kicking a ball, yes Leicester City & Leeds Utd both won but defeats for some of our nearest rivals leaves us in a pretty healthy position, Preston, Birmingham, Hull, Sunderland and West Brom all dropped points meaning should we win our game in hand we would actually have improved our position going into the weekend by a further point with the potential gap widening to Nine points, of course by the time we play the Rotherham game the situation will most likely have changed but you get the point.

I read somebody's comment that already this Championship season is starting to resemble last season's league One where Town, Plymouth and Sheff Weds ran away with things in a Three horse race, this time Leicester, Town & Leeds are being touted as potentially doing the same again and while that is so premature at this moment in time One cannot help but feel that scenario would be most welcome, I actually think at present we would benefit from that as for me we are more consistent than Leeds, yes on their day they can blow teams away but they do have off days, something we really haven't had too many of thus far, already Leeds have failed to beat Cardiff, Birmingham, Sheff Wed, Hull and Southampton, Four clubs we have dispatched already so there is no need to fear going head to head with them at all.

Wednesday evening should see us back in action after a fairly lengthy break with a trip down to Bristol City, now this would normally go down as a pretty routine run of the mill fixture but just take a look at the the City forums to see how much they want to beat us and how much they hate Mark Ashton, in their eyes it is massive and a bit of a grudge match, there has even been the odd veiled threat aimed at our CEO from the odd few brain dead's so this is for sure not going to be a low key affair, certainly not in their fans eyes anyway, the last time I had a peak their thread on all things ante Ashton had reached around page Seventy Five, sad or what ?

Leaving all that nonsense aside I feel this is a tricky game anyway, the Robins have had a pretty decent start to the season as their Eighth place standing in the table suggests, Eighteen points from Twelve games has them just a single point off the play off zone and while they may not have captured any big scalps so far they have been winning against the middle order to lower teams in the division. The City team does not appear to be blessed by household names, Nahki Wells being the most recognisable to me, but so far they appeared to be pretty solid and fairly hard to beat.

Whoever Town come up against these days I find myself asking the question, just how will they live with our attacking options, we always look to have goals in us and they come from all over the team, defensively away from home we are very solid too, only Two goals conceded in Five away games is not to be underestimated by any means and shows our cavalier approach is saved for Portman Road.

I certainly don't envisage a high scoring affair Wednesday evening but then again a single goal has already been enough at St. Mary's, Loftus Road & Hillsborough so why not again here, I do feel if we keep a clean sheet we win the game as I always fancy us to score, a draw would not be a disaster but Three points would be be most welcome in our quest to keep that gap at the top of the table bearing in mind Sunderland go to Leicester, Hull to Birmingham, Preston host Southampton and in form Middlebrough travel to scumville points in and around us are going to be dropped, taking advantage of that by way of victory would be another big plus for our season so far. Town to hopefully nick it. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Bristol City

League

Second Division
Champions: 1905–06
2nd place promotion: 1975–76

Third Division South / Third Division / League One
Champions (4): 1922–23, 1926–27, 1954–55, 2014–15
2nd place promotion: 1964–65, 1989–90, 1997–98, 2006–07

Fourth Division
4th place promotion: 1983–84

Western League
Champions: 1897–98

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 1908–09

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1985–86, 2002–03, 2014–15
Runners-up: 1986–87, 1999–2000

Welsh Cup
Winners: 1933–34

Anglo-Scottish Cup
Winners: 1977–78

The Manager – Nigel Pearson

League Table as at 22.10.2023

Form Guide

Bristol City

23 Sep Leicester City 1 - 0 Bristol City

30 Sep Bristol City 2 - 3 Stoke City

4 Oct Rotherham 1 - 2 Bristol City

7 Oct Leeds Utd 2 - 1 Bristol City

21 Oct Bristol City 1 - 0 Coventry City

Ipswich Town

23 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Blackburn

30 Sep Huddersfield 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

3 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Hull City

7 Oct Ipswich Town 4 - 2 Preston

20 Oct Rotherham pp. Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – Josh Smith

BRISTOL CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Shed on tour

Re: Championship - Bristol City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:14 am

Had to return my ticket for this game as obviously can’t make the trip now. Can see this being a tough game and will go for a 1-1 draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:15 am

Eastenders for you mate, no undue stress allowed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:16 am

Bristol city run a injury status thread on their forum, it appears they have a host of first teamers missing.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:15 am
What did I do in my previous life to have to be subjected to that crap? :lol: If the Rotherham game had been played I had been told by the boss that I could only watch it with a blindfold on and earplugs in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:45 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:16 am
Bristol city run a injury status thread on their forum, it appears they have a host of first teamers missing.
So they’ll all return to their 1st team Weds then! :lol:

Poor weather again and I think there’s an edge to this game (for their fans anyway) which will ramp things up a bit. Tough night in store. I’m thinking an hard fought draw.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:47 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 am
Bluemike wrote:
What did I do in my previous life to have to be subjected to that crap? :lol: If the Rotherham game had been played I had been told by the boss that I could only watch it with a blindfold on and earplugs in.
So your seats going begging for scum game in Dec
then as it won’t be for those trying avoid stress!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:25 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:47 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:21 am
Bluemike wrote:

So your seats going begging for scum game in Dec
then as it won’t be for those trying avoid stress!
Me, get worked up when we play that lot from up the A140? Nah, you must be confusing me with Mike! :lol:
P.S: Think it might be a case of double pills that day! :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:02 pm

I've 100% got to get a tkt for Norwich away, all help welcome, will pay sensibly over the odds lol

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 pm

Bristol City are no slouches. Leicester only beat them 1-0, and BC are just one point off the play offs. Hopefully; we'll be well rested and raring to go, but I fear we may be a bit rusty. Going for the draw 1-1.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:25 pm

This is going to be a toughie, speaking to a Robins mate of mine he reckons we will turn them over, they have a fair few injuries. I personally can see a draw, not ideal but would accept that.

I could of gone to this game, nearest fixture to me but sods law got some planned evening work, so I'm buggered.

Those who go safe journey and lets hope the boys bring home the goods.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Nice preview…….. going for the win in this. Voted win and will say 2-1 Tractor Boys. Hope all going stay safe, win, lose or draw.

The borderline threats towards Mashton are ludicrous. Like you say; “brain dead”. 🤦‍♂️ How anyone can allow this sh*t to have space in their head. Just do not get it.
The “Ha ha ha ha” thread? I mean, yes, its funny…… but even that guy? Listen to how desperate he sounds. Get a f**king life buddy. I hear Hibernian supporters giving it, “this’ll ruin my whole night and half the week.”
“Aye? Well fk off then. tw*t.”
Don’t get me wrong……. I understand passion and all that……., but, 🤦‍♂️ Jaysus H….. some guys just haven’t exited the High School reggie class!!

Hope Mashton attends the game and does not let these delinquents rule his plans.

COYB’s

Combined caption:

Pearson: “GAME SHOULD BE FINISHED, REF”
Ref: “No, we’re playing the extra hour that we’ll be getting this Sunday, Nigel.”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:46 pm

This game will take place right. Not going to be no avalanches, tsunamis or plague of locusts to get in the way this time (?) Bristol Channel not going to rise to biblical levels and we'll all be washed away to Swindon or something. People don't want no repeat of last time out.

Voted to win. There's a certain edge to this fixture and something both fanbases have been excited for some time, we've got some of their ex-personnel on board who aren't welcome back there - whether they make the trip is open to question - but on the field at least we possess a stronger set-up and more robust assembly of squad. Even with one or two (key) figures out you'd expect we're (far) better than they are and irrespective of venue we should take three points from the trip out there.

Think their manager is under pressure to perform, their results are invariably mixed and man for man they just can't seem to compare to ourselves. Best chance they got of winning - maybe allowing any hate or animosity of Mark Ashton to empower them to victory. But it's the fans there that can't stand the individual, not (so much) the players themselves. Guess we'll just see what occurs when time arises.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:50 pm

Plague of Locusts lmao, brilliant AP

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:08 pm

Apart from their hammering of Plymouth 4-1 last month most of their games are close and won or lost by a single goal margin either way. Expect therefore a very close game for me with a Town win either 0-1 or 1-2. I certainly expect us to have a squad with enough fire power to bring home all 3 points.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:14 pm

Having looked at the table and the teams behind us there are 10 clubs separated by just 3 points and a win for Bridtol City could take them from 12th to 4th which is a massive incentive for them. Let’s hope it’s big pressure too and plays out to our advantage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:49 am

Some talk among Bristol fans that this could be Nigel Pearson's last game in charge, quite bizarre.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:49 am
Some talk among Bristol fans that this could be Nigel Pearson's last game in charge, quite bizarre.
He hasn’t managed to stop grabbing players. Training sessions are horrendous apparently!

https://youtu.be/pj7xB-woEbA?si=3D9WQlYgxH6I_CpH

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:50 pm

Jackson in for Burns, otherwise unchanged

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:07 pm

Town TV saying I'm not subscribed anyone having the same trouble?, also finding it difficult to find log in.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:15 pm

Just tried it for you and I got into the pre show ok, wes Burns talking.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 pm

People on Facebook saying they are having trouble too

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:23 pm

I’m in atm… No surgery for Burns it seems. And out for weeks instead of months.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:30 pm

ℹ️ We are aware of an issue with the Ipswich Town Official App at the moment. This is being investigated but is unlikely to be fixed this evening.

TownTV is working smoothly when accessed through the Club website.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

#itfc

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:30 pm
ℹ️ We are aware of an issue with the Ipswich Town Official App at the moment. This is being investigated but is unlikely to be fixed this evening.

TownTV is working smoothly when accessed through the Club website.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

#itfc
Thanks Mike, I'm glad it's just not me having a senior moment again .😂 I will still be able to watch it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:00 pm

Jackson not on it atm is he…

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:04 pm

GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAL BROADY

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:05 pm

That's been coming for the last few minutes

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:38 pm

We have played well just a pity we haven't got the second goal we deserve.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:38 pm

Good value for the lead but should really be further ahead, awful first 5 mins then dominated really, Morsy so unlucky with the one off the post but looking good at HT