Everton in the mire

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ricco

Re: Everton in the mire

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:04 pm

It's amazing isn't it, that it's only £19m. Pocket change in football at the level... well you could hire 75 people for 10 years at UK national average wage with that, perspective needed perhaps. And as stated, may have cost another team hundreds of millions of pounds.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:10 pm

Three clubs now set to sue them for 300 Million

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 pm

Why are they suing Everton?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:05 pm
Why are they suing Everton?

Why Everton points deduction sent shockwaves through the Premier League - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67459084

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:03 am

Money, lawyers, cheating, VAR, litigation, regulation, SKY, Infantino to name but a few... football is eating itself and the reality is that once these teams actually end up winning a trophy, how much does it REALLY mean to their 'fans' who probably watch on TV and don't live (and never have lived) within 100 miles of the place they purport to 'support'. An old man view as usual from me but give me the 'proper' football of the 70's and 80's any day. 3pm on a saturday and winning a trophy (any trophy) MEANT something. I bet most of us on here couldn't say immediately who won the last 5 FA Cups and certainly not the last 5 'League' cups?! Oh and before anyone says 'oh yeah and all the violence that went with football in those days', don't kid yourself it has gone away - look at our trip to Sheff Weds this season as evidence... moan over 😬🙁

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:36 am

Absolutely spot on BW 👍….
I remember the days when the new season started, you actually used to challenge your friends to who you thought would be that seasons champions …. Not anymore! The PL / Sky funded league is nothing more than the UK’s version of what the Saudi’s are now trying to start up. It’s plastic, benefits the privileged few ( players, managers, club owners), and doesn’t filter down to any meaningful level to grass root football or the people who REALLY matter, the fans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:03 am

Personally do think its all relative to the era. I do agree with you Wilf, (loved the 80s) …… but in the 80s, my grandad moaned his paps off that the 50s/60s were better…….. now we’re moaning that the 70s/80s were better. (Again, they were in our opinions)

Channel flicking the other day at sons house……. 1980 cup final was on, West Ham v Gunners.
Son says, “Jeezo, these teams would struggle in the Scottish First Division” :shock:

But……… it was better. 👍👌

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:11 am

I would probably agree with your grandad although before my time! The football maybe wasn't as good but boy it mattered to them as they were usually born where they played! I am not sure the generational thing plays out to today though as its the same game (or similar) but played out in a dreadful environment in my view. Even nostaligia is not what it used to be Marko! 😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:44 am

We all took the p*ss for decades out of Scottish football because it was by and large Celtic or Rangers and yet England is no bloody different now, I find the Premier league as a product to be predictable, boring and corrupt, that's just the good points.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:44 am
We all took the p*ss for decades out of Scottish football because it was by and large Celtic or Rangers and yet England is no bloody different now, I find the Premier league as a product to be predictable, boring and corrupt, that's just the good points.
It shouldnt be for you though, mate, because you live in England.
Yes……. The rest of the world regard Scotland as Celtic & Sevco……. But not Scottish people. The majority of Scottish folk couldn’t care less about those Glesgae fuckwits.
I would even wager a Loon would be more nervous about a Montrose or Brechin game than a old firm cup game, (money would be decent though :D )
I’d let the rest of the world think England & the EPL is boring…….. not at Portman Road its not…… and the December derby is approaching fast. 👍👌

Speaking of the Loons……. They’re in Tranent this weekend. 😳 An absolute nutcase town. Lived there for a few years. Then realised the oldest son would need to start primary school there 😳
No chance. Moved to the much better Penicuik.
I think its a Prestonpans thing in Tranent. 2miles apart, yet they hate each other. 🤦‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:08 pm

I can see Tranent giving us a right hiding tbh, we are bloody awful this season. Tbh Marko Forfar as a Town ain't great either, I spent one weekend there which was a right eye opener.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:48 pm

Looks alright on Google images….

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:08 pm
I can see Tranent giving us a right hiding tbh, we are bloody awful this season. Tbh Marko Forfar as a Town ain't great either, I spent one weekend there which was a right eye opener.
They're all too cliquey IMO. Sometimes its like an old Western film opening the saloon doors, walking in......, silence and all eyes on you.

The places themselves are actually ok, Hallam......, but the people? Jeez. Definitely different to "City People". Tranent is actually really nice as well. Nice High Street, plenty shops, cafe's etc. But walk into a boozer ---- >> :shock:

My experiences of England have not been like that if I'm honest. Stayed in a hotel not far from Portman Road a couple times for the EADerby, hotel bar was totally fine...... we got chatting with locals...., all very pleasant. Down in Northfleet. We even went to a Gravesend & Northfleet game, (Now Ebbesfleet) ..., was a great laugh that couple weeks. (When in the Gas Board days)

But up here........, try a Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock game. They are literally ONE MILE apart......., they get more police than Celtic v Sevco :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Whatever I totally disagree with your opinion. There’s still plenty of competition even with the money. You’re so old school like many: old men in armchairs ignorant to progress. Yeah you’ll disparage my comments and all your minions will agree with you, but it’s time to wake up and accept this is the world we live in. :lol: :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:08 am

I think over the years you've proven yourself to be pretty ignorant with quite a lot of your comments, this one included. As for sitting in an armchair that's quite funny seeing as you are the one that loves sitting on your arse watching that sh*te on sky every week, how do you watch Town games again ? I actually spend most of my time out and about going to football and other such things, you don't even know me so you need to think before you comment sometimes. I don't even get why you think it's aimed at you or has any connection to you ? Quite baffling.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:52 am

Vast majority of Manchester City fans are “old school”, 9. They know, deep down, they’re a WBA yo-yo club in reality.
To quote Airplane!…… “then the Arabs came!”

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:56 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:38 am
Bluemike wrote:
Whatever I totally disagree with your opinion. There’s still plenty of competition even with the money. You’re so old school like many: old men in armchairs ignorant to progress. Yeah you’ll disparage my comments and all your minions will agree with you, but it’s time to wake up and accept this is the world we live in. :lol: :wink:
He's got a point though, hasn't he. Everton get bolloxed and Man City skate it.

Oh well, at least the three newly promoted teams don't presently occupy the bottom three places.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:52 am
Vast majority of Manchester City fans are “old school”, 9. They know, deep down, they’re a WBA yo-yo club in reality.
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:23 am

Billy Hayes

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:24 am

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am
marko69 wrote:
No, but i have seen a grown man naked. 👍👌

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:53 am

How many ITFC fans are there in the whole world? A million? Hundreds of thousands? Tens of thousands? Anyone care to guess? And of that fan base, how many ITFC fans regularly attend matches? And of that fan base, how many regularly watch matches on television? Portman Road’s supporter capacity is approximately 30,000. Anyone care to guess the supporter capacity of worldwide television viewers?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 pm

And that's the irony of your post, all those Millions of armchair fans and yet you referred to me as one, and yet I rarely watch football on TV, especially the Premier league garbage.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 pm
And that's the irony of your post, all those Millions of armchair fans and yet you referred to me as one, and yet I rarely watch football on TV, especially the Premier league garbage.
I was only joking mate! Yes I know my sense of humour can be crass, just like yours. The armchair reference was aimed at old, opinionated men who resist change…not a reference to how you support ITFC. I’ve stated on numerous occasions how much respect I have for our local, traveling fans especially during the sh*t years. You’re a passionate fan and I am a passionate fan. Without tv money, I wouldn’t be able to watch my beloved club nor would the other hundreds of thousands of international fans. Gamechanger never would have considered investing in ITFC without that potential worldwide television viewership. It is only a discussion Mike, nothing personal. We just disagree about many things.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:46 pm

That's fair enough but the last I want to say on it is I'm not ignorant, far from it, that was like a red rag to a bull. Anyway let's leave it there.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:31 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 pm
I was only joking mate! Yes I know my sense of humour can be crass, just like yours. The armchair reference was aimed at old, opinionated men who resist change…not a reference to how you support ITFC. I’ve stated on numerous occasions how much respect I have for our local, traveling fans especially during the sh*t years. You’re a passionate fan and I am a passionate fan. Without tv money, I wouldn’t be able to watch my beloved club nor would the other hundreds of thousands of international fans. Gamechanger never would have considered investing in ITFC without that potential worldwide television viewership. It is only a discussion Mike, nothing personal. We just disagree about many things.
As opposed to young opinionated men who like to spout on social media and try (badly) to be 'controversial' you mean? I am happily set in my ways and am an unashamed 'traditionalist' when it comes to football. Slag me all you like but if you think the product we get now makes for a better experience than I had 30 years ago then in my opinion, you are very much mistaken. Other delusions (sorry, opinions) are available and people are very welcome to them! Oh and if you think I am one of Mike's 'minions' then you are even more wrong and don't hide behind your 'crass' sense of humour. Its not crass - just not funny 👍

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:34 pm

Oh and by the way, 9 - I have been going to PR since 1972 had a season ticket for 40 years and go to most away games too so you are also wrong to suggest I and others are 'armchair fans' - that is a description of you, not me.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:35 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:24 pm
As opposed to young opinionated men who like to spout on social media and try (badly) to be 'controversial' you mean? I am happily set in my ways and am an unashamed 'traditionalist' when it comes to football. Slag me all you like but if you think the product we get now makes for a better experience than I had 30 years ago then in my opinion, you are very much mistaken. Other delusions (sorry, opinions) are available and people are very welcome to them! Oh and if you think I am one of Mike's 'minions' then you are even more wrong and don't hide behind your 'crass' sense of humour. Its not crass - just not funny 👍
That's your opinion, no worries I can take it. Cheers! :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:36 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:34 pm
Oh and by the way, 9 - I have been going to PR since 1972 had a season ticket for 40 years and go to most away games too so you are also wrong to suggest I and others are 'armchair fans' - that is a description of you, not me.
I guess you didn't read the 'armchair' explanation. No probs.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:35 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:24 pm
That's your opinion, no worries I can take it. Cheers! :wink:
👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:56 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am
marko69 wrote:
This really tickled me, if you know - you know!

Used to regularly quote the ‘I’m envious of you, waking up with the same woman day after day whilst I’m running around with 20 year olds who just want Sex, sex, sex’ to my married mates when I was younger/single. Different series but same actor, legendary.

I wrote ‘police squad’ today in a work email and had to refrain from some quotes from the series as no doubt the audience would be too young to know it.