Everton in the mire

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Everton in the mire

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:40 am

The Premier League has reportedly recommended a deduction of up to 12 points from Everton's current standing due to alleged breaches of financial rules.

In March, the Premier League referred Everton to an independent commission after reviewing the financial records of all top-flight clubs for the 2021-22 season.

While the specific charge has not been revealed, it is thought to be linked to a tax matter concerning loans for Everton's new Bramley Moore Dock stadium, which is currently under construction.

The disciplinary hearing began last week, with a decision anticipated later in the year.

Now, the Daily Telegraph has reported that the league has asked the independent commission to impose a severe sanction against the Merseyside club.

A deduction of 12 points would result in Everton's current score dropping to minus five points in the ongoing season's league table.

According to the league's profitability and sustainability rules, clubs can sustain losses of up to £105m in three years or potentially face penalties.

hallamblue

Re: Everton in the mire

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:15 am

I think that’ll see them relegated tbh Mike. It’s been coming for a few years now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:24 am

It has, I think they are in the mire even without a points deduction and all this with a massive new stadium on the way.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:41 pm

I wonder if that’s were the financial irregularities have occurred. The building of that stadium?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:41 pm
I wonder if that’s were the financial irregularities have occurred. The building of that stadium?
Quite possibly yes

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:12 pm

I wonder when/if someone will deal with Manchester City’s rule breaking.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:42 am

They've had so many get out of jails and near misses (within the last 30 years) you got to expect sooner or later a sort of inevitable will come to pass. It'll be a shame, something no true fan regardless of support would wish for, but you can only ride you fortune or escape a fate for so long. How the hell they've got away with relegation so many times in the time stated is a mystery.

The points deduction - if imposed - would just about seal it once and for all but are the authorities really going to go ahead with it. Time and before we've seen high profile established club names threatened with intended action and very little or anything come from it.

They're going to move from Goodison Park this season which is a real shame, it's one of the most famous and renowned stadia in all the leagues but it wasn't going to be viable to continue at the same venue forever. It'd be a disaster if they were to start a new arena in a lower league, they've been top division since the mid 1950's but the truth is have lost their way considerably in recent time and with it, no actual trophy or win since 1995.

For a club name of that stature, history, legacy et cetera, many would concur it's simply not acceptable. As a last, respect and acknowledgment goes to Bill Kenwright who sadly passed within the last 48 hours. William was a true blue who lived and bled for the cause and put extensive time and expense into something he held dear. It's a tragic shame his last abiding memory would be the club name has now deteriorated in the situation it now finds itself.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:11 am

Kendall Ball Harvey

Long, long time ago, I can still remember

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:28 pm

10 point immediate deduction just announced.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:35 pm

Can't get away with it forever.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:22 pm

Hopefully one day they will get around to dealing with Man City although I wouldn't put any money on it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:34 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:22 pm
Hopefully one day they will get around to dealing with Man City although I wouldn't put any money on it.
Never gonna happen

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:03 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
We live in hope.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:28 pm
There’s something about this ruling that I’m uncomfortable with. It almost 100% suits all parties involved this season; Everton will easily stay up with the bottom of the table as bad as it is, the PL have been seen to have acted and they’ve also set a precedent for future rule breaks.

It’s all been wrapped up nicely, like a good murder mystery and everybody involved can effectively relax knowing that nothing has really changed.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:30 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:18 pm
Andym wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:28 pm
There’s something about this ruling that I’m uncomfortable with. It almost 100% suits all parties involved this season; Everton will easily stay up with the bottom of the table as bad as it is, the PL have been seen to have acted and they’ve also set a precedent for future rule breaks.

It’s all been wrapped up nicely, like a good murder mystery and everybody involved can effectively relax knowing that nothing has really changed.
I totally agree with you there. Everton may well have been lucky to escape relegation for a number of years, but a quick look at that current table with the points deduction in place, I struggle to see where any of the 3 promoted teams are going to better Everton's final points tally. Hell, between them they've won less games than Everton have this season. The powers that be, i feel, have made a calculated gamble, they would much rather a team like Everton with a gleaming brand new stadium stay up.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:17 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:12 pm
I wonder when/if someone will deal with Manchester City’s rule breaking.
Agreed,why are they getting away with it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:07 pm

You have to ask how come Man City and Chelsea appear to getting away with similar breeches and there’s no apparent punishment. I think Chelsea’s did ding had been astronomical for years . How do they get away with it? 🤷‍♀️

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:46 pm

just noticed the Independent commission looking into Everton was made up of Ken Dodd, Jimmy Tarbuck and Cilla Black. 8)

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:41 am

From what they saying on sky sports ..a possibility of city and Chelsea been demoted to championship..all the more reason for us to go up this season. Lol

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:25 am

I think a 10pt deduction for Everton is fair. Let’s not be witch hunters. Man City will probably avoid points deduction with a heavy fine they can afford. No idea about Chelsea, but they too can afford a heavy fine.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:38 am

But why should Man City & Chelsea get away without any points deduction? They appear to have flouted the rules to far greater extent.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 am

I think Everton are just the initial fall guys and probably have been dealt with first because they unfairly cost another team relegation to the Championship. Manchester City and Chelsea may have breached the rules too, Chelsea more likely than City who have much larger revenues and spend far less on the transfer market. At least we finally have some action which may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:09 am

Well the authorities are apparently looking at over 100 breaches of rules that Man City are supposed to have commited, if proven they should be thrown out of the league

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:27 am

Shed on tour wrote:
I just saw a big pink pig going flying past my window!! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:42 am

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:46 pm
just noticed the Independent commission looking into Everton was made up of Ken Dodd, Jimmy Tarbuck and Cilla Black. 8)
You chose two dead Liverpool folk and an alive one. Had to go check if i’d missed Tarbucks death :shock: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:38 pm

Dickie Mint & Hamish would have done a better job.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 am
I think Everton are just the initial fall guys and probably have been dealt with first because they unfairly cost another team relegation to the Championship. Manchester City and Chelsea may have breached the rules too, Chelsea more likely than City who have much larger revenues and spend far less on the transfer market. At least we finally have some action which may just be the tip of the iceberg.
Well the governing bodies have set a precedent now for clubs in PL flouting the rules haven’t they. I think Everton were something like £19m over the threshold over a three season period in their accounts. Well, I’d be astounded if Man City and Chelsea are not waaay over that. So if it’s a 10 point deduction for that specific rule breaking ( not including any others broken) it’ll be interesting to see how the governing bodies deal with these two clubs once they’ve completed their “ investigations”( which seem to be taking an eternity). I can’t see other PL clubs allowing this to lie untested can you?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:42 am
Well the governing bodies have set a precedent now for clubs in PL flouting the rules haven’t they. I think Everton were something like £19m over the threshold over a three season period in their accounts. Well, I’d be astounded if Man City and Chelsea are not waaay over that. So if it’s a 10 point deduction for that specific rule breaking ( not including any others broken) it’ll be interesting to see how the governing bodies deal with these two clubs once they’ve completed their “ investigations”( which seem to be taking an eternity). I can’t see other PL clubs allowing this to lie untested can you?
Think Man City v the Premier League and the Saudi's billions and influence will be the reason behind the slow response,
I can see any apt judgment going against them will see the start of Super League the top clubs really want regardless of what they preach,, its just been delayed and a matter of time,

wasn't Everton 250m over the top,
We had to sell 7 top players because they cheated us out of European football in 2020/21.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXPPAew-BzM
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:28 pm

Yes I think Everton were around 250m over the 100m limit of loss over a three year period.

City is probably taking longer as I think the main issue there is the over inflated sponsorship deals mask the issue, ie a company paid them well over the odds for sponsorship which allowed them to balance the books, said company probably linked to same ownership group. Chelsea probably bad also but again the Saudi transfer sales they did this summer bailed them out

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:13 pm

An ex Everton player (I think) quoted just £19m and that Everton had complied with every request for information yet have still been dealt with harshly (in his opinion)…. Suspect we’ll get the details later, but either way I wouldn’t be surprised if most clubs are in breach of these financial rules…