Everton in the mire

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Everton in the mire

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:05 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:56 pm
Mauswara wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 am
marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:52 am
Vast majority of Manchester City fans are “old school”, 9. They know, deep down, they’re a WBA yo-yo club in reality.
To quote Airplane!…… “then the Arabs came!”
Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?
This really tickled me, if you know - you know!

Used to regularly quote the ‘I’m envious of you, waking up with the same woman day after day whilst I’m running around with 20 year olds who just want Sex, sex, sex’ to my married mates when I was younger/single. Different series but same actor, legendary.

I wrote ‘police squad’ today in a work email and had to refrain from some quotes from the series as no doubt the audience would be too young to know it.
:lol: 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 am

I see their points deduction has been reduced from 10 to 6 and they've leapt up the table, what a surprise.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:20 am

I don’t have an issue with the deducted points reduction as the original record 10 points reduction did feel unjust and heavy handed. What I do have an issue with is the lack of clarity and transparency of the subject which clearly needs a set of benchmarks which relate to scale of breaches linked to numbers of points to be deducted. At the moment the number of points lost is an arbitrary number at the discretion of the panel and this simply isn’t right and is open to abuse both excessively and leniently.

The other problem is the timing of these hearings and decisions, and the impact this has not only on the clubs involved but on other clubs especially those involved in relegation battles. At the moment we have both Everton & Nottingham Forest charged with breaches of Premier League's Profit and Sustainability Rules and both clubs are closely involved with Brentford and Luton as to which of these four will join Burnley and Sheffield United in The Championship. At this stage of the season managers will be looking at the number of remaining games and setting points targets for their players and teams to achieve when in truth they don’t really no what that number is. Personally I think all points deductions should be applied at the start of the season not the end when it can be used to manipulate the final table which may well happen this season.

Everton still have a second charge outstanding which may or may not add to their points deduction. The result of Nottingham Forests charge is likely before the end of the season. Chelsea have a self reported breach outstanding and of course Manchester City still have more than a hundred breaches currently under investigation all of which are being considered.

Clearly the Premier League are trying to clean up financial irregularities and they have the teeth to deal with it but it has to be on a fair and level playing field.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:45 am

Agree with all of that and I can't help thinking that they have moderated Everton's in preparation to handout some more deductions in other cases prior to the end of this season.

Whole thing looks like an unholy mess. Totally agree that deductions should be at the start of the season unless there is some flagrant and wilful offence that needs urgent response.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am

I don't even believe there should be a panel who decides how many points you are deducted, anyone found cheating, no matter the level loses 25 points, simples.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:24 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am
I don't even believe there should be a panel who decides how many points you are deducted, anyone found cheating, no matter the level loses 25 points, simples.

That would be even more ridiculous than the current scenario which at least has a process and clear parameters. The only thing missing is a transparent tariff of punishments for those found guilty and when the punishment should be applied to only impact the guilty club.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:46 pm

I am sure there are reasons for the timing of punishments, but it seems like the punishments should be applied to the following season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:04 pm

The argument against waiting until the following season before handing out deductions is the cheating team avoiding relegation. Then getting another season of EPL cash & crowds.

Agree with everything Charnwood said in his larger post. Clear transparent rules and it being common knowledge what number of points will be deducted. (No panels)

Irregularities found with 5 games to go? 15points deduction!
Yeah, that’d be cruel, but 🤷‍♂️, if yer gonnae cheat!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:07 pm

Cheating is cheating

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:10 pm

I basically agree with Charnwood and Mike. There should be a clear transparent tariff of points deductions for what is to all intents and purposes, cheating.For me the greatest interest is what they do with Man City where we all know the club will fight whatever the punishment is all the way with the backing of their owners, the Abu Dhabi United Group!! If they were found guilty of just half the charges they are supposedly facing ,they'd be starting next season in League 1 and we know that isn't going to happen.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:27 pm

Why are all these threads being stickied/pinned?!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:25 pm

:lol: Was wondering that myself. Everton , Ten Hag & Man Utd “stickied” in an Ipswich Town forum? Whats going on guys?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:36 pm

Are they?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:38 pm

You were correct, just "unstuck" most of them

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:07 pm

Yes, i was going to but thought, hmmm, 🤔, better not. Might be a valid reason.
I think you unstuck “Non Ipswich Matches”……. I went and stuck that again.
Cant have Loons & Hibs threads over the place! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:27 pm

No worries, was at work at did it in a hurry.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:25 pm
:lol: Was wondering that myself. Everton , Ten Hag & Man Utd “stickied” in an Ipswich Town forum? Whats going on guys?
That would be a very good idea Marko, have an “Ipswich Town Only Section” rather than “Ipswich Town, Championship and General Football Chat Section”. I hold my hand up to stickying a couple of threads as I was hoping to generate conversation on a couple of current news topics rather than see them disappear off the bottom of the page before anyone had a chance to comment. Apologies to all 🙏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm

Sorry Andy I didn't realise you'd done it

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:12 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 pm
Sorry Andy I didn't realise you'd done it
It’s not a problem Mike, I’m not bothered about it at all. It’s just good to see the forum busy with lots of different topics being discussed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:05 am
I don't even believe there should be a panel that decides how many points you are deducted, anyone found cheating, no matter the level loses 25 points, simple.
Well said Mike: I fully believe these top clubs like Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal are abusing the system, 25 pts is the minimum, as it's detrimental to clubs coming up from the championship who struggle to compete, Burnley, Luton, Sheff Utd, etc, all the premiership and mainly championship clubs accounts should be scrutinized for financial abuse it really should be a level playing field for all clubs to have a maximum spending limit, the wage system is ridiculously far too high and most premiership players are not worth the £250'000 a week, it needs to be stamped out and clubs refuse to pay over the limit and get into financial trouble, they should take a leaf out of our Club who keep to the FFP rules and still have a very well run football club and players happy with their wages.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:47 pm

25 point deduction and stripped of parachute payments would solve it instantly but the powers that be don't have the balls.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:05 pm

NFL's Salary Cap v EPL's Financial Fair Play Rules:

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/footba ... 234737931/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm

What an eye opening article that is. Jeezo. :shock:

That accurate, 9 ? They’re not sponsored by the National Enquirer ?!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:25 pm
What an eye opening article that is. Jeezo. :shock:

That accurate, 9 ? They’re not sponsored by the National Enquirer ?!
Sportico appears to be legit.