Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways?

Rotherham Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
92%
Draw
8%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:40 am

ImageRotherham United v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 7th November 2023 – 20:00

New York Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

It's been said many times, points like the one gained at Birmingham Saturday will be crucial to what we are able to achieve this season, wins will take care of themselves but it is this type of result that makes the difference. On a day when we were far from our best and struggling to get any kind of control of fluency in the game we looked light years away from return to Suffolk soil with anything to show for our troubles. It is on days like this that you find out so much about the character of your team, it is easy to look good when you are comfortably ahead and the goals are flowing but to grind something out of a game you are struggling in tells you so much more.

There was an air of good fortune in the way Jay Stansfield was afforded the chance to put City ahead, quickest to react to a scuffed shot which fell so kind he was able to nip in just ahead of Hladky before swiveling and firing home, in truth it was no more than Birmingham deserved at that stage as we had been pretty awful in the opening exchanges, the usual engine room of our team had been nullified by Birmingham's press and they closed us down at every opportunity, our forward players were non existent and everything just looked all over the place, that said we did carve out a couple of good chances to get an undeserved equaliser with the best chance falling to Nathan Broadhead who fired just wide when he should really have hit the target.

Going in a goal down was quite a result given how the half panned out and you could only imagine that Town could only get better after the break and so it looked for the first few moments of the half. From narrowly missing a chance to go level Birmingham raced up the other end of the pitch and a cross saw Cameron Burgess glide the ball passed Hladky to make it 2-0, at that point it looked for all the worlds like it was game over bu this Town team are made of sterner stuff and just refuse to know when they are beaten. Chances started to flow but they all went begging, Kieran McKenna rolled the dice and brought on the usual plethora of subs and once again it came up trumps.

With Ten minutes to go Marcus Harness had dragged us back into a game where we had looked dead and buried, some good work from Ladapo who had just come on won the ball in City's half, Clarke found Dane Scarlett who finally showed us why he is here with a good cross into the danger area where Ladapo, who had continued his run saw his shot saved before Harness followed up to fire the ball home, game on. Town continued to surge forward but it looked like time was against us until that man Harness came up trumps again. Scarlett sent Omari Hutchinson away and the Chelsea loanee got his cross into a dangerous area, the ball looped into the air before coming down perfectly for Harness to send his volley crashing passed John Ruddy, the Town fans erupted as the players celebrated. Town still had One or two chances to actually grab the win but it wasn't to be and the game ended all square.

It has to be said that it felt like a win such was the way we started the game, too many players not on their game and a fired up home team and crowd were making it very hard for us but somehow we find a way, we have a never say die attitude which is testament to McKenna and the boys. The point keeps us Seven clear of Leeds Utd and with the crucial game in hand the gap could still well be an incredible Ten points come 10.00pm Tuesday evening, plus with Leicester dropping points we could find ourselves within touching distance of top spot. We can now boast the fact that we are the only team in the Championship to have lost a solitary game all season, even Leicester can't lay claim to that.

Tuesday see's the second attempt to get the game at Rotherham played following last Month's farce of a cancellation and of course it is the aforementioned game in hand. Now I know we all keep saying no game at this level is easy etc but I think this is a game we really should be winning, the Millars are struggling and look to be set for a long hard season in their quest to avoid a return to League One, we have to take advantage of games like this but I also feel we need to up our game a few notches as the last Three games have seen us not at our best, despite the fact we have taken Seven points form them and have remained unbeaten it has been pretty tough in spells in all of those games, I want to see us dominating teams again and taking it to then, that may be being a little bit over critical but we are more than capable, November is very important to get some points on the board as December looks a pig of a month where points will be a lot harder to come by.

Personally I can see nothing but a Town win here and that nice cushion to third place restored, Rotherham sit in the drop zone with a mere Ten points from their Fourteen games played, goals are hard to come by and they concede a fair few too, Two wins all season is not great and One of those was against Norwich and we don't count byes. So it's a Town win for me and a nice clean sheet would be very welcome too. Does McKenna make changes ? I certainly think a bang in form Marcus Harness is knocking on the door. COYB'S

The Opposition – Rotherham United - Honours

League

Football League Third Division / League One

Champions: 1950–51, 1980–81
2nd place promotion: 2000–01, 2019–20, 2021–22
Play-off winners: 2013–14, 2017–18

Football League Fourth Division / League Two
Champions : 1988–89
2nd place promotion: 1991–92, 1999–2000, 2012–13
3rd place promotion: 1974–75

Cup

Football League Cup
Runners-up: 1960–61

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1995–96, 2021–22

Football League Third Division North Cup
Winners 1945–46

The Manager – Matt Taylor

League Table as at 6th November 2023

Form Guide

Rotherham United

4 Oct Rotherham 1 - 2 Bristol City

7 Oct Southampton 1 - 1 Rotherham

25 Oct Rotherham 2 - 0 Coventry City

29 Oct Sheffield Wed 2 - 0 Rotherham

4 Nov Rotherham 1 - 1 QP Rangers

Ipswich Town

3 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Hull City

7 Oct Ipswich Town 4 - 2 Preston

25 Oct Bristol City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

28 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Plymouth

4 Nov Birmingham City 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – Graham Scott

ROTHERHAM UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:31 am

Another nice preview and round up of the Birmingham game. I did genuinely LOL @ this:

……, with the best chance falling to Nathan Broadhead who fired just wide when he should really have hit the post.

:lol: Not sure if you meant that as humour but I laughed. :lol:

Re the Brum game. Unbelievable really. For the heads not to drop is testament to the relationship between players and manager. These players care. As they should i might add……. But usually the entitled spoon fed fkrs dont. Well done Kieron & Co for obviously making the entire environment around the place a desirable place to be.

100% Ipswich should be winning @ Rotherham tomorrow night. Going to say 3-0 away win and 1 point away from top spot.

Caption:
Matt Taylor: “Aw well done, Ref. Nice one. NICE decision. Love it. LOVE it!”
Ref: “You taking the p, Matt? I’ll come over there and book you ma son.”

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:40 am

Big game, if we can get 3 points its still been a very solid week.

Would you make changes? I agree Harness must be knocking on the door, but do you bring him in for Broadhead who is often very quiet but then has game winning moments of quality, or maybe even Chaplin who has been a little up and down with his effectivness of late.

I'd also like to see us stick with Omari on the right, unless KM has a plan to use Jackson for tactical reasons.

Willaims probably still out, Clarke hasn't been great but probably better than JD for this game as we should be on the front foot.

Might be a case for resting Masimo and bringing in Taylor for a bit more attacking threat.

I'd also see Freddie doing well as a sub here, if we are pushing for a goal late on and camped in their half etc, but would stick with Hirst to start.

We need to start fast and get out playing style going.

For me:

Hladky

Clarke
Wooflie
Burges (or even Tuanszabe)
Davis

Mosry
Taylor

Hutchinson
Harness
Broadhead

Hirst

Bit of rotation but not too much.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:05 am

I’ve gone for a win, but wouldn’t be surprised to see a draw. I don’t think Williams will have had time to recover from his illness (assuming it’s a virus) which leaves us with hapless Clark at RB . Maybe try JD ? If not I’d be bringing in Axel at RCB ( can’t wait to get Woolfie out of the side I’m afraid) . I’d bring Harness in instead of Chaplin or Broadhead but that all I’d change.

Whatever happens I’ll be rooting for them . COYBS

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:15 am

I think JD had been very unlucky to get pushed down they pecking order. In my opinion it wasn’t one of the first positions that needed improving. I’d play him but I don’t think McKenna will. Most managers prefer to play their own signings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:25 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:31 am
Another nice preview and round up of the Birmingham game. I did genuinely LOL @ this:

……, with the best chance falling to Nathan Broadhead who fired just wide when he should really have hit the post.

Re the Brum game. Unbelievable really. For the heads not to drop is testament to the relationship between players and manager. These players care. As they should i might add……. But usually the entitled spoon fed fkrs dont. Well done Kieron & Co for obviously making the entire environment around the place a desirable place to be.

100% Ipswich should be winning @ Rotherham tomorrow night. Going to say 3-0 away win and 1 point away from top spot.

Caption:
LMAO Marko, that was a typo error, should say target!!

If Williams isn't fit it's Clarke for me, Donacien was struggling like hell start of the season and positionally was all over the place at times. Sadly Liz I don't think Woolfenden is going anywhere, I know you aren't keen but he's deffo improved from a year ago and KM rates him, from what I saw at Birmingham it was Burgess that was the poorer of the Two.

I wouldn't be upset at seeing Harness, Ladapo and Taylor in for Broadhead, Hirst and Luongo if I'm honest, maybe this slightly jaded look of late means it needs freshening up a little.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:26 am

JD is a great 1 on 1 defender, but for me his isn't good going forward and too slow on the ball, if we were playing Leeds or such I'd prefer JD to Clarke but what should be a possession heavy town game, I'd go Clarke for more forward thrust (ooo-eerr).

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:12 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:26 am
JD is a great 1 on 1 defender, but for me his isn't good going forward and too slow on the ball, if we were playing Leeds or such I'd prefer JD to Clarke but what should be a possession heavy town game, I'd go Clarke for more forward thrust (ooo-eerr).
Good point.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:25 am
marko69 wrote:

Caption:

If Williams isn't fit it's Clarke for me, Donacien was struggling like hell start of the season and positionally was all over the place at times. Sadly Liz I don't think Woolfenden is going anywhere, I know you aren't keen but he's deffo improved from a year ago and KM rates him, from what I saw at Birmingham it was Burgess that was the poorer of the Two.

I wouldn't be upset at seeing Harness, Ladapo and Taylor in for Broadhead, Hirst and Luongo if I'm honest, maybe this slightly jaded look of late means it needs freshening up a little.
I’ll be honest with you Mike I don’t know why I just can’t take to him. He comes across to me as a bit cocky/ arrogant. Yes he brings the ball out of defence ok and plays an almost sweeper type role quite well. But for me he leaves a lot to be desired IN the box.

He rarely wins a 1:1 Ariel battle cleanly or well with his opponent. In fact I’m so often asking myself “ who are you actually marking”? He constantly drops off the man and drops back and back into a space every time , rather than close the man down. He did this Sat… the ball was literally stroked into the 6yard area unchallenged because he was constantly dropping back.WHO was he marking it challenging? Burgess running back towards his goal couldn’t avoid the ball coming in.

All I see is Woolfie marking fresh air, dropping backwards in the 6 yard area. He rarely goes in for a proper CB challenge and come away with the ball in that 18/6 yard area. He certainly can’t get any power or direction on any headers he makes. As the bloke in front of me n Mike said once, he’s got a 50 pence piece for a head,(ball could go anywhere)… I’ve even seen him drop back as far as the goal line…. Go and challenge for the ball, win it, clear it or Marshall the man wide if close down so he doesn’t get a good sight of goal.

I feel he’s so overrated . He’s not particularly quick and in short he just isn’t for me as first choice.

I’ve watched the videos of Axel and there’s a real presence and huge upper body strength about this guy. He’s got it all. Pace, physicality, comfortable on the ball. Can header it , snd brings the ball out of defence very well, and marshals his opponent very well. I think once he gets his match fitness up and back in the match groove I can only see him and Burgess . Next season I think it’ll be Axel and Baggott as first choice .

I just can’t take to Woolfenden I’m afraid. I REALLY wish I could , but I can’t.Sorry. 🤷‍♀️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:57 pm

Ps I’m hated in twtd for saying I don’t rate / like Woolfie. He’s their love child :D

I would add, if Woolfie is supposedly THAT great why is he never in “ Team of the Week”?

I suppose I cant ever be accused of following the crowd …

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:37 pm

Town boss Kieran McKenna says full-back Brandon Williams was due to be assessed today before a decision would be made on whether he would travel to Rotherham for tomorrow evening’s live Sky game at the New York Stadium.

The on-loan Manchester United man missed Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Birmingham having been ill but was showing signs of improvement on Sunday.

“He was a little bit better yesterday,” McKenna told TownTV. “He still hasn’t trained yet, so we’ll have to assess how he is today and whether he’s going to make it in time to travel on this one or not. We’ll have to wait and see.”

Aside from Williams, only Wes Burns (shoulder) and Lee Evans (knee) are currently on the sidelines.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:24 am

Didn't look through Rotherham past glories and achievements as all recognize them for is unleashing Chuckle Brothers and Jive Bunny to the world. For those reprehensible actions alone they should be rightly beaten by 20 goals every game and out of business but this is our game in hand and really, we should be taking three points to maintain the top two positions.

Don't think will be that easy, maybe ridiculous to mention but we haven't won in two games - it's very uncharacteristic of the team this season - not only that we didn't play all that well in the games featured. You got to be open to all scenarios but really hope we can go there and take victory with it. A win would close gap on Leicester and be real good for morale in subsequent fixtures. We need to play better than just recent however.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:55 am

Bluemike wrote:
:lol: That is quality for accidental humour.

Put me in mind of the comedian imitating Scottish commentator Archie McPherson about 20 years ago. :lol: Taking the pi$$ out of Lorenzo Amaruso for Rangers. (Who missed a lot, by a distance!)

“And its Amaruso venturing forward again, eases past two defenders, he’s into the 18 yard box, STILL GOING, 6 YARD BOX……, HE SHOOTS…… OHHHHH, its out for a throw in!”

:lol: I remember watching that amongst a few people that weren’t “soccer savvy”; the joke went further over their heads than a Lorenzo shot at goal. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Caption:

If Williams isn't fit it's Clarke for me, Donacien was struggling like hell start of the season and positionally was all over the place at times. Sadly Liz I don't think Woolfenden is going anywhere, I know you aren't keen but he's deffo improved from a year ago and KM rates him, from what I saw at Birmingham it was Burgess who was the poorer of the Two.

Liz at CB I would slot in Baggott and Tuanzebe to buck Wolfie's game time up, I wouldn't mess around with midfield but still stick with Alongo and Morsy, and give Harness and Scarlett a game
I’ll be honest with you Mike I don’t know why I just can’t take to him. He comes across to me as a bit cocky/ arrogant. Yes he brings the ball out of defence ok and plays an almost sweeper type role quite well. But for me he leaves a lot to be desired IN the box.

He rarely wins a 1:1 Ariel battle cleanly or well with his opponent. In fact I’m so often asking myself “ who are you actually marking”? He constantly drops off the man and drops back and back into a space every time , rather than close the man down. He did this Sat… the ball was literally stroked into the 6yard area unchallenged because he was constantly dropping back.WHO was he marking it challenging? Burgess running back towards his goal couldn’t avoid the ball coming in.

All I see is Woolfie marking fresh air, dropping backwards in the 6 yard area. He rarely goes in for a proper CB challenge and come away with the ball in that 18/6 yard area. He certainly can’t get any power or direction on any headers he makes. As the bloke in front of me n Mike said once, he’s got a 50 pence piece for a head,(ball could go anywhere)… I’ve even seen him drop back as far as the goal line…. Go and challenge for the ball, win it, clear it or Marshall the man wide if close down so he doesn’t get a good sight of goal.

I feel he’s so overrated . He’s not particularly quick and in short he just isn’t for me as first choice.

I’ve watched the videos of Axel and there’s a real presence and huge upper body strength about this guy. He’s got it all. Pace, physicality, comfortable on the ball. Can header it , snd brings the ball out of defence very well, and marshals his opponent very well. I think once he gets his match fitness up and back in the match groove I can only see him and Burgess . Next season I think it’ll be Axel and Baggott as first choice .

I just can’t take to Woolfenden I’m afraid. I REALLY wish I could , but I can’t.Sorry. 🤷‍♀️

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:02 pm

Anyone else struggling to get Town TV via vpn?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:04 pm

It’s on Sky so I thought you can’t access it when Sky had it .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:13 pm

Tuanzebe, Jackson and Harness in for Woolfenden, Hutchinson and Broadhead who is not on the bench, Williams on bench.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:18 pm

Broadhead has sickness bug

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:26 pm

Harness deserves the start, also I did say Tunazabee might come in.

Would rather see Hutchinson over Jackson though.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:31 pm

Wolfenden dropped to the bench to allow Tuanzebe his first start! Have you been having a word in KM's shell Liz? :wink: :lol:

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:04 pm
It’s on Sky so I thought you can’t access it when Sky had it .
I believe you are correct, as far as I know Town can't broadcast this as it's on SKY

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:34 pm

If you have a VPN and sign in as an overseas person from any country NOT on EFL screening rights list you should be able to watch the game via Town tv I think …

I’m giving it a go anyway … just waiting to see if it flicks to the game at ko 🤞🤞

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:38 pm

Ah thats OK then. Sky it is! Thanks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:34 pm
If you have a VPN and sign in as an overseas person from any country NOT on EFL screening rights list you should be able to watch the game via Town tv I think …
Ok, i’ve made my way to Malmo, and i’m wearing a Visible Panty Nutbag-holder……. Can i tune in?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm

Oh what a vision marko :lol: :lol:

See here :

Sky Bet Championship matches selected for international broadcast during Championship midweeks can still be streamed internationally, apart from in the following territories:

Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunisia, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, UAE, Yemen, Chad, Djibouti, Somalia, Palestine, USA, Turkey, Netherlands, Iceland, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Andorra, Monaco, Clipperton, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Madagascar, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, La Reunion, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, French Southern and Antarctic Lands, Wallis and Futuna.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:47 pm

It’s on ESPN+ in the USA

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:50 pm

For anyone interested it is on Town TV if you’re an overseas subscriber.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:34 pm

I’m giving it a go anyway … just waiting to see if it flicks to the game at ko 🤞🤞
100% correct Liz, I’m on it now. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:46 pm
Oh what a vision marko :lol: :lol:

See here :

Sky Bet Championship matches selected for international broadcast during Championship midweeks can still be streamed internationally, apart from in the following territories:

Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Sudan, South Sudan, Tunisia, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, UAE, Yemen, Chad, Djibouti, Somalia, Palestine, USA, Turkey, Netherlands, Iceland, Poland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Andorra, Monaco, Clipperton, Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Madagascar, Martinique, Mauritius, Mayotte, New Caledonia, French Polynesia, La Reunion, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, French Southern and Antarctic Lands, Wallis and Futuna.
No Thai? You can’t get in. Sorry.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:55 pm

KAAAAAM AN , IPSWICH TOWN FC……. Lets go!