Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Slow out the blocks after an International break?

WBA Win
11%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 18

arana peligrosa

Re: Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:03 am

Simple thing is the team concedes too many goals. Think too many pin their hopes on the team scoring each time to overly contemplate failure. If the opposition score one, (everyone believes) we'll score two, if they score two, we'll score three etc. We got caught out yesterday, point being that ain't going to be the case each and every time.

Maybe the Fulham game was a pointer that we aren't quite ready for the EPL but we 'd already beaten top league opposition this season so don't know much weight the theory carries. At home particulary the team concedes far more than it should. If those defensive issues could be recitified I'd feel far more confident in the time ahead. You can't expect things on pure goalpower alone. Walton should take over goal duties some stage later this season. That's not to suggest Vaclav is doing a poor job only other alternatives are available and the manager may at some point bring the former back into action. Millwall seem to be more defense vulnerable than ourselves or most teams in the division. They can be easily got at and if we score like we can in the next meeting we'll surely have enough to get past them.

Our womens team beat Sutton Coldfield by 8 - 0. An opposition team not far from West Bromwich, you could say our ladies exacted some level of revenge or atonement on the area but not sure how much consolation you can take from it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:36 am

For me if we are to tinker with the team I'd have Tuanzebe in at CB and maybe for 2 or 3 games have Ladapo and Scarlett in for Hirst & Broadhead.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:36 am
For me if we are to tinker with the team I'd have Tuanzebe in at CB and maybe for 2 or 3 games have Ladapo and Scarlett in for Hirst & Broadhead.
I'd definitely make those 3 changes - plus Hutchinson for Burns (when he is fit) and Chaplin has been below par lately so I'd consider playing Harness in his place too.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:38 pm

Its very tricky as we didn't get much service to the front guys, but is that due to their movement, a tactics issue or supply line problems - unsure.

Broadhead has been very quiet of late, Chaplin hit and miss - he works well if you can get him the ball but the sky stats showed our front 4 had the least touches of anyone - which tells the problem of the match.

Would we maybe need to adjust and bring in Taylor for Chaplin for some games, have Taylor play the chaplin role but slight deeper/closer to Morsy and Mas? i.e give more of a platform in midfield.

Agree we may need a defensive tweak as certainly conceding too many goals recently.

Its VERY hard to really know, are we just finding our level after an amazing start which was over-achieving? Or should we be playing better but just aren't?

Next two games will really tell us where we are at IMO. It's easy to call things a blip but we really don't know if it is that or something more, only time will tell.

If we had gone to WBA and given a good account but lost I'd be feeling OK - it was just the fact they did a real number on us and we didn't seem to have any threat at all, plus looked a bit shaky at the back still. The timing of the goals was a killer for sure though. We looked very bright first few mins of 2nd half, moving the ball much faster etc.

Its sure going to be an interesting end to the year.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:13 pm

I definitely think a lot of what was wrong in the attacking department was down to lack of movement etc, I can recall several balls from Burns, Williams and Davis that appeared to look massively overhit when in truth no bugger was making a run.

I can also recall that the odd times we did get the ball to Hirst he was offside and that's not just the West Brom game, he's awful at reading the offside line, he gives away far too many petty fouls too which immediately takes the pressure off our opponents and lumps it straight back onto us, again not just this game, sorry but not overly impressed in truth.

I do think Broadhead needs a rest now and again, he can drift through games anonymous at times, I think it may have been HallamBlue that said one or two appear to look like they are safe and in a comfort zone so maybe a tweak here and there will shake them up hence my calling for Ladapo and maybe Scarlett who looks much brighter lately to come in.

Personally I wouldn't be taking Chaplin out at all, yes he had a poor game but he is always likely to come up with a goal and for me is a bit of a talisman.

Luongo or Taylor is a quite a conundrum and I am in the minority here with Taylor as I thought defensively he did some decent things Saturday, I am happy for those Two to share that position.

Defensively we need to tighten up for sure, Williams, Davis and Hladky pick themselves atm, I haven't seen one goal in our recent games that can be attributed to goalkeeper error, the CB'S are a different kettle of fish, Tuanzebe definitely needs a run and I know it won't happen but for me Baggott is already better than Burgess and Woolfenden at both ends of the pitch.

Having said all of that it's ONE bad day at the office, it would be folly to start ripping up what has served us so well to this point, in any case it won't happen but tweaking it here and there is definitely worth consideration. Let's please not forget just where we are and where we have come from, it's quite remarkable, we were always going to lose games, we will lose more, if this is our blip we ain't too badly off as the gap is still healthy, Two wins this week and decent performances and everything will be rosy in the garden once again.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Well said BM.

Hirst is offside annoyingly often, he does work hard, link the play well etc. Freddie is the better finisher but IMO lacks workrate and hold-up play. I'd like to see another Hirst type striker come in, but if you're looking for a top striker who can hold up, link play AND finish etc - its mega money as they are so few and far between.

Big game weds, will defo see some rotation too.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:15 pm

Bookies said we were expected to lose this, so I am a little disappointed, but I'll get over it. What is slightly worrying is the quality has dipped recently, but considering we keep conceding first and making it hard for ourselves, it's quite impressive that we have 8pts from the last 5, Leicester only have 6pt and Leeds 10pts, so it's not quite panic stations, thought would've been nice to take advantage while we had the opportunity.

Not sure what comments there have been on Hladky, but he'd be my number 1 for the season now, and I'd let him know that unless he had a run of 3 or 4 poor games that cost us. Fingers crossed we've been through a slightly weary spell and start to find our stride again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:02 pm

I Like your post Mike and I’d say I agree pretty much with most of it… no need to chuck the baby out with the bath water as they say but we are at a point where some things need to change - at both ends of the pitch.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:34 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:25 pm
Well said BM.

Hirst is offside annoyingly often, he does work hard, link the play well etc. Freddie is the better finisher but IMO lacks workrate and hold-up play. I'd like to see another Hirst type striker come in, but if you're looking for a top striker who can hold up, link play AND finish etc - its mega money as they are so few and far between.

Whilst I’m not Hirst’s greatest fan, it was interesting watching a recent Town tv pre match build up discussion which highlighted (by I think Ian Westlake) just how much Hirst contributes to the team by his work rate pulling defenders out of position to create open space for Chaplin & Broadhead to score. It’s this sort of activity that goes unnoticed by many fans who only judge strikers by the numbers of goals scored.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:34 pm
shabba wrote:
Well said BM.

Whilst I’m not Hirst’s greatest fan, it was interesting watching a recent Town tv pre match build up discussion which highlighted (by I think Ian Westlake) just how much Hirst contributes to the team by his work rate pulling defenders out of position to create open space for Chaplin & Broadhead to score. It’s this sort of activity that goes unnoticed by many fans who only judge strikers by the numbers of goals scored.
Is Broadhurst a new signing? Just joking mate, I’m sure I’m just being crass as Bluewilf will attest to.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:40 pm

If you look at the Championship form table over the past 10 games Town are sitting in 7th place on 11 points with Leicester City 5th on 12 points whilst WBA are 2nd with 13 points.

Maybe our defeat on Saturday shouldn’t have been as unexpected as so many fans have suggested.

Out of interest Southampton top the table with 15 Points.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
shabba wrote:
Well said BM.

Is Broadhurst a new signing? Just joking mate, I’m sure I’m just being crass as Bluewilf will attest to.

Don’t know what you’re talking about mate. 🤣🤣🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:28 am

Charnwood wrote:
shabba wrote:
Well said BM.

It was Alan Lee talking ( unless they’ve had more than one chat about his role).
Hirst has been given a specific role to perform . A lot of his game is very good but this getting caught offside is a pain which I hope he can iron out. It’s all about timing of his move during our attack build up. He’s WIP atm for me anyway as he’s not really played that much regular football over the last 2-3 yrs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:29 am

My issues are the offsides, the petulant and persistent unnecessary fouls and the inability to score from inside the box, we have Chaplin, Broadhead, Taylor, Harness, Davis who can all score screamers which is what Hirsts goals mostly are , we need tap ins and poachers goals added to our game which is why I prefer Ladapo, over 20 last season and most were of that ilk, I know he's frustrating and I know he too can have bad games but that is one thing we are definitely missing.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:29 am
My issues are the offsides, the petulant and persistent unnecessary fouls and the inability to score from inside the box, we have Chaplin, Broadhead, Taylor, Harness, Davis who can all score screamers which is what Hirsts goals mostly are , we need tap ins and poachers goals added to our game which is why I prefer Ladapo, over 20 last season and most were of that ilk, I know he's frustrating and I know he too can have bad games but that is one thing we are definitely missing.
I just personally feel Freddie got those goals as they were poachers goals against teams sat 11 men behind the ball. The championship is very different, hence Freddie has barely got any goals other than vs Cardiff where............they were sat deep trying to defend.

Hirst is often more isloated this year as we aren't just sat camped in the opponents half, so the games are different to last season - hence IMO you cannot compare them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:58 pm

He hasn't played!!!
Look at the BBC stats for our top scorers, minutes per goal and Ladapo still by far the best and Hirst the worst . And I know Hirst runs around but so does everyone else.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:38 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:29 am
I just personally feel Freddie got those goals as they were poachers goals against teams sat 11 men behind the ball. The championship is very different, hence Freddie has barely got any goals other than vs Cardiff where............they were sat deep trying to defend.

Hirst is often more isloated this year as we aren't just sat camped in the opponents half, so the games are different to last season - hence IMO you cannot compare them.
I don’t think we’ve ever been able to do a direct comparison between Freddie and Hurst, because they are two totally different types of player.

Ladapo is the old fashioned fox in the box. Get the ball to him in that area snd he’ll probably stick it in. Problem is in the Championship you probably need more from a striker then just brut force and back to goal, turn and shoot approach . The defenders are more savvy, quicker and just don’t allow you that space or position in the box. You also need to be quick. Now I know Hirst hasn’t got his game altogether yet, but he brings more players into the game with his deceptive speed and quick brain, flicks snd running off the ball. He does his work largely outside the box.
The front three definitely “ flow” more freely when Hirst is the striker than when Freddie is … but we need goals but what we need more is s decent defence right now.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 am

The Hirst/Ladapo debate is interesting although I think KM has already made up his mind. Just look at minutes played between the two. I wouldn’t be surprised if Freddie moves on to another team in January. He’s clearly not KM’s first choice which must be frustrating. I’m not a big fan, but FL certainly knows how to poach goals in and around the opposing team’s penalty box. If he is released, I hope there is a more than worthy replacement in the cards, otherwise KM will need to incorporate Freddie into the system sooner rather than later.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:07 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 am
The Hirst/Ladapo debate is interesting although I think KM has already made up his mind. Just look at minutes played between the two. I wouldn’t be surprised if Freddie moves on to another team in January. He’s clearly not KM’s first choice which must be frustrating. I’m not a big fan, but FL certainly knows how to poach goals in and around the opposing team’s penalty box. If he is released, I hope there is a more than worthy replacement in the cards, otherwise KM will need to incorporate Freddie into the system sooner rather than later.
Nail on head.

Personally I would much prefer to see Ladapo play rather than Hirst, but clearly KM does not rate him at all - borne out by the fact that Scarlett is often chosen above Ladapo as an on-coming substitute.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:31 am

Then on this occasion KM is a bit of a tool, just my opinion of course.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:47 am

More pressing is to get the defence tighter, especially the first 15 mins, do that and we'll win most games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 pm

Regardless of his goals, (like Elie Youan @ Hibs) just cannot warm to Ladapo at all.
“Moments” is all they both have. Its not enough at the respective levels. Think McKenna knows this.
No doubt some form of replacement would be required if Freddie moved on, but just could not see him moving on as a negative for Ipswich Town.
Thats also only an opinion put forward as diplomatically as possible ! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:09 pm

Tosser :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:22 pm

lol Mike!! :lol:

But have to be agree with marko. I think Freddie is the complete striker at League One level . An absolute beast.

But in the Championship, his game just doesn’t match the requirements of a striker’s all round game. And as he nears 30yrs of age I’d suggest he’s where he is now. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him move on if not January, then possibly in the summer depending on who we have lined up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:37 pm

Two tossers lol.
Sadly Liz, on what I've seen neither does Hirst's so we better be in the market for a striker come January.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:22 pm

I think we may well be looking for another striker.

Hirst is a bit of a conundrum isn’t he! He does so much in his role of leading the line. He pulls defenders all over the place, chases / closes down and force opponents errors ( Freddie doesn’t do that anywhere near to that level ) . But Hirst doesn’t score very often. So guess it depends on what McKenna is wanting from his #9 role… a poacher or someone that integrates the whole forward line ?

If Hirst could add more goals to his game he’d be a knockout performer. Whether that’ll come I’m not sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:41 pm

Hirst did a couple of things better last night but oddly its not just the lack of goals that bothers me, its the ability to get on many knockdowns in the box like he did last night !! For a big guy we need more of that.