Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Slow out the blocks after an International break?

WBA Win
11%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 18

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:27 pm

An utter disappointment having spent all day looking forward to watching it, having said that not with any real confidence.

For me it’s only 1 point dropped as that’s all I was expecting.

hallamblue

Re: Championship - West Bromwich Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:29 pm

We’ve been totally out manoeuvred tactically all night long.

First half Town gave the impression that they just had to turn up, stroll around with the ball and everything would all come right. Well it hasn’t has it. This defeat had been coming since before the last international break.

I feel one or two of our players have been found out. Our tactics definitely have. Clubs look at footage to see how other teams have managed against us and it’s been a cumulative learning curve for our opponents in how best to nullify us.

It’s been coming.

So, finally our forwards don’t score but our defence still continues to leak soft goals.

McKenna DOES need to change a few things tactically now… snd some personal in my view.

Unfortunately we are now entering the most difficult month of fixtures this season and we’ve been sussed, and the window doesn’t open until Jan 1st. Carry on playing as we are and that gap will be gone before Christmas in my view.

This defeat had been coming.
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:31 pm

Some other results this weekend make the defeat less significant. But I think that’s 5 points from our last 4 games? Admittedly 3 of those have been away. But we are conceding too many goals. And not a single shot on target today. That’s a first.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:33 pm

We certainly need to bounce back against Millwall on Wednesday and win well, let's hope Bart let's a few in.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:37 pm

Disappointing performance by both manager and players.

But there is absolutely no shame in being beaten by a better team, and tonight we were second best in all departments (tactics, application, desire, ability).

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:37 pm

Typical poor start from us after the international break, we could of done with hutchinson tonight ,shame about the defeat,i was expecting it though.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:55 pm

First league defeat away from Portman Road in nine or ten months, you got to take pride from that alone. We're not going to win or take three points from every game we play. Today is disappointing but the season thus far (the) positives far outweigh any negatives. Still in a great position to challenge the automatics, we'll likely finish within the top six anyhow despite losing just now.

These things happen. Opposition teams either now raise their game against us or they simply perform better on the occasion than ourselves. Come to think of it, when was the last time we failed to score in any game.. WBA defense must be real impressive or maybe we just didn't threaten them enough. Not going to dwell on what occurred. It's disappointing and regrettable but one last time the team remains in a fine position to be able to challenge for what remains of a season. McKenna could maybe consider putting two in attack for a future event although (formation he deploys) it's done us well enough up until now.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:08 pm

Well, I think we still need to tighten our defence up Wolfie is far far too laid back and is the weak link, and I don't like these no-goal kicks. Burgess to Hladky then Wolfie tippy tappy around with no real urgency to get back in the game, There's a place for Axel Tuanzebe in defence and Dane Skarlett needs to be playing against Millwall, Walton is also a must to be back in goal we are leaking far too many goals with Hladky.
I can see Jackson and Ladapo moving on in the Jan window.
We need to really bring in quality defenders as well we need some brut force tall defenders that can shut up shop, The WBA defence had no problem keeping our strikers quiet, and their keeper was excellent. Keiran must learn a lesson from West Brom's set-up on how to control the game, we need to bounce back against Millwall next week and get our game back on track.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:07 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:08 pm
Well, I think we still need to tighten our defence up Wolfie is far far too laid back and is the weak link, and I don't like these no-goal kicks. Burgess to Hladky then Wolfie tippy tappy around with no real urgency to get back in the game, There's a place for Axel Tuanzebe in defence and Dane Skarlett needs to be playing against Millwall, Walton is also a must to be back in goal we are leaking far too many goals with Hladky.
We need to really bring in quality defenders as well we need some brut force tall defenders that can shut up shop, The WBA defence had no problem keeping our strikers quiet, and their keeper was excellent. Keiran must learn a lesson from West Brom's set-up on how to control the game, we need to bounce back against Millwall next week and get our game back on track.
Dear oh dear.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:15 pm

When you think About it ..have we brought in anyone of real quality be it championship or pl .level in defence.?? .we still have wolfe.burgess from league one .and jst added Williams really .mckenna too attack minded and playing along the grass is all very well .but we are continually leaking goals ..we have to bring in two good defenders and a good striker..if we really want to have a run at this automatic craic .

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:42 pm

Their goals were terrible times for us, sucker punches bkth times and we need to stop conceding early.

Others have covered it, we just weren’t on it today and WBA looked a polished side. The front four just didn’t get involved or on the ball, we offered no threat at all today even if we had some good possession first half.

Not going to dwell on it - let’s see how we look in the next two games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:00 pm

Away at West Brom was never going to be a walk in the park. They’re a decent side. As many have said —->> best to move on. Don’t let a negative vibe take over the forum, ——>> onto Millwall. Very important to get the win ——>> POSITIVE vibes. 👍👌

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47 pm

To be honest we’re not going to be the best team every game of the season and never lose, it simply doesn’t work that way. All that’s important now is that we dust ourselves down and move on and make sure we win on Wednesday and next Saturday.

What will be a good measure is seeing how well Leicester City do at West Brom next Saturday.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:45 am

Even man City. Regarded by many as Best club in the world..was well and truly schooled by wolves a few weeks ago...so it does happen to the best ..Better to have there losses now .than in few months time..so we Can rectify and learn

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:44 am

We’ve conceded 8 goals in the last 4 games

Leicester have conceded 4 goals in the last 4 games

Leeds have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

Southampton have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

WBA have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

Preston have conceded 6 goals in the last 4 games

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:14 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:44 am
We’ve conceded 8 goals in the last 4 games

Leicester have conceded 4 goals in the last 4 games

Leeds have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

Southampton have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

WBA have conceded 3 goals in the last 4 games

Preston have conceded 6 goals in the last 4 games
y'reckon we should all start to panic 9?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:26 am

LOL, last night was woeful, nobody can argue with that, but it's ONE game, we are still in a magnificent position and have Two winnable home games coming up, Six points and this blip, which is all it is will be forgotten.

Andym was right in that we haven't been at our best since the last international break but we've still picked up wins and points, I thought the first half against Swansea we were excellent.

This last few weeks is possibly our blip ? It was ALWAYS going to happen and yet here we are second and Seven clear of third, hardly panic stations or the need for sweeping changes to the team and tactics.

Last night we got it wrong, we failed to perform and some big players didn't turn up, it happens but it hasn't happened very often at all, read the reports for Leeds, Middlesbrough and Sunderland, it isn't just us. It's everyone at some time or another.

Park this one and move on, Six points at fortress Portman Road this week and the wheels will be very firmly back on. I think we've been spoilt the last year and don't know how to deal with a defeat or poor performance now, I certainly struggled last night but hey on reflection it's one bloody game, just tighten up defensively In the early part of games and we'll be absolutely fine. COYB'S

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:57 am

Sometimes you have to accept that on the day a team is better than you and that was the case last night. It happens to the best of teams. Always thought this was going to be a tough one and that turned out to be the case. However, as people have said we move on and concentrate on putting things right on Wednesday night.
Have to say the reaction of a few Town fans last night was unbelievable. There was a bloke about 6 rows behind us who spent virtually the whole of the 2nd half shouting out that our players were a useless bunch of c**** and should feck off. A few others starting singing “we’ve had a shot and have got the ball”. Yes we were poor but for feck sake it happens.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:05 am

If anyone feels a bit glum just pop on over Owlstalk

"It’s like watching a team of injured f’king Frank Spencer's"

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:35 am

TWTD:
Town conceded within the first 15 minutes for the sixth game running, something McKenna says has been looked at and discussed but which wasn’t his main frustration from tonight’s match.

“Of course, it’s something that we have analysed and spoken about with the group over the break,” he said.

“But for me, it’s more about how we defended the set play. You’re away from home. No matter how you start a game like this, they’re probably going to get a set play in the first 10 minutes and you have to defend it better than we did.

“Whether that first corner had come in the fifth minute or the 25th minute or the 50th minute, we would have to had to defend it better than that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:48 pm

More words of wisdom from Kieron. He’s arguably the first manager probably since SBR whereby you could just listen to his analysis & chat for hours. Just matter of fact football chat. No sugar coating or wind & pish.
Opinion alert: I think its refreshing that he knows that sometimes the other team just played better on the night.

Think we all had a discussion pre-season that it matters where ipswich town rise or fall to. I DO NOT believe the club are falling to 6th, but thats the only thing that COULD happen due to the “2nd place, 7 clear” position.
For me, heat on KMcK would be damaging at this crucial time.
As he said, “defended better” ——->> those players need to haul themselves up a notch IF its a blip.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:52 pm

Every team gets beaten, no matter who or how good they are

Yesterday's game was shocking, can't think of one player for us who had a decent game. Do find it strange saying Walton should come back in.. Did you see the game against Fulham? Besides v been excellent this season in the main
No need to panic, yes its a wake up call and Town need to do better but if going to lose, better now with Leeds dropping points also. As been mentioned Wednesday game is very important, then next Saturdays against Coventry. This time next week we could be millionaires. Whoops sorry mind wandered, but we could be looking back thinking well this is lot better

No panic from me and Kieran was again honest as they come. No excuses we were not good enough on the day

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:28 pm

I couldn't believe the Walton comment either, ridiculous, knee jerk doesn't come close.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:45 pm

We have two home games coming up now and they couldn't come at a better time...and while not disrespecting the opposition..these are winnable games .and then going in to the away Middlesbrough game..a real cohesion should be back in the team then and we playing as a unit. We probably will be slightly underdogs but il take that..a point there will be no bad thing..pressure will all be on leeds and others behind as they are close bunch .so cheer up. We still have not reached half way

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:02 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:07 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:08 pm
Dear oh dear.
Any chance you can produce an opinion on the game yesterday and our form instead of throwing one line criticism comments at other's views?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47 pm
To be honest we’re not going to be the best team every game of the season and never lose, it simply doesn’t work that way. All that’s important now is that we dust ourselves down and move on and make sure we win on Wednesday and next Saturday.

What will be a good measure is seeing how well Leicester City do at West Brom next Saturday.
Whilst I would absolutely agree with you Sndy , Shed, Mike and few others, it is a very rare defeat , and the better team win last night. I’ve no problem with that. What does concern me is the continuing trend of defensive soft goals, reliance on the forwards getting 2-3 goals every game because we can’t keep a clean sheet these days it seems. The other trend I see is opponents working our system out. So, without suggesting we through out the baby with bath water, I do think we need to reassess our approach in games. If we don’t change our opponents are and will stop us getting points.

I was very disappointed with us yesterday but not actually surprised. We definitely need a review of our tactics and a tweak of them . I also think we need better players ( defensive as well as striking) through the door.

Our dip in form has been steady tbh but we’ve got away with it until yesterday. But we now enter a critical (pivotal?) month I feel. My question is have some of these players now reached their limit snd can they ramp it up? I’m not convinced some of them can. But the window doesn’t open for another 4-5 weeks. A lot can happen in that time …. I just hope we can keep the foot on the paddle. COYBs

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:50 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:47 pm

Whilst I would absolutely agree with you Andy, Shed, Mike and a few others, it is a very rare defeat, and the better team won last night. I’ve no problem with that. What does concern me is the continuing trend of defensive soft goals, and reliance on the forwards getting 2-3 goals every game because we can’t keep a clean sheet these days it seems. The other trend I see is opponents working our system out. So, without suggesting we through out the baby with bath water, I do think we need to reassess our approach in games. If we don’t change our opponents are and will stop us from getting points.

I was very disappointed with us yesterday but not actually surprised. We definitely need a review of our tactics and a tweak of them. I also think we need better players ( defensive as well as striking) through the door.

Our dip in form has been steady tbh but we’ve got away with it until yesterday. But we now enter a critical (pivotal?) month I feel. My question is have some of these players now reached their limit and can they ramp it up? I’m not convinced some of them can. But the window doesn’t open for another 4-5 weeks. A lot can happen in that time …. I just hope we can keep our foot on the paddle. COYBs
I think you are right Liz with a stronger defence, will Kieran change formation to start the game like 4-5-1 until we settle into our game plan ?? we certainly could do with a striker similar to Vardy, but Wolfie still gives me the jitters with his laid back approach, also will we put Walton back in goal as Hladky is a good stopper but he does parry the ball a lot and we need a safe pair of hands that Walton has, do we drop Broadhead or Hirst for Scarlett, but in defence, Axel needs to be started alongside Burgess and give wolfie a rest and start Hutch, what do you think we have to stop leaking early goals

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:10 pm

We can’t change too many players because it would upset the team as a whole, and tbh there’s no need to change many players, maybe just one of two. But perhaps we should “ mix up” our tactics a bit more (just a tweek, again not wholesale), in games.

I wouldn’t be changing Hldaky he’s done a sterling job. Perhaps he’s parrying the ball ( can’t say I’d noticed that tbh) because of the CB’s abilities in front of him? Not all opponents are the same. We always struggle against physical, strong sides. Always have done. Against WBA, we lacked a midfield presence in my view. Whilst Taylor was outstanding in the Orr ious gsme he was non existent alongside Morsy . If ever a game wanted two string physical midfielders from Town it was vs WBA, but McKenna went with Taylor , understandable to some degree, but the wrong choice nonetheless ( in my humble opinion)…. And it disrupted our link up play from defence > attack all night long.

We have no choice but to continue with the current squad until that window open . But I do wonder if some players are running on vapours now, physically , and in certain cases ability wise at this level.

For the next couple of games it wouldn’t surprise me to see Axel come at right CB and team up with his ex- Man Utd team mate, Williams. I think most goals against come down that right side. Broadhead appears to need a rest … (maybe give Harness another try) but I think these internationals are taking their toll in my view. I would also bring Luongo back in to midfield to beef up our physicality in the middle.
Burns was poor in my view but he’s been out for a bit and maybe just needs a couple more games to get up to speed. If not I wouldn’t hesitate in bringing in Hutch.

Just my take on it really.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:50 pm

Morsy on 8 yellows is a worry he will miss 2 games when he gets to 10 let's hope they are not against the top sides.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:11 am

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:50 pm
Morsy on 8 yellows is a worry he will miss 2 games when he gets to 10 let's hope they are not against the top sides.
I certainly can’t see him getting to the end of the year without 2 more, in fact he’ll do well to get past the weekend.