The wonder of VAR - what a joke

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: The wonder of VAR - what a joke

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:33 pm

lol , I actually laughed out loud, and Im at work !! :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:38 pm

Just mistimed :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 am

Oh man, if you haven't seen it just take a look at the ludicrous decisions that went on in the Forest game, absolutely disgusting, and to then discover the guy on VAR is a Luton fan says it all, corruption at its best, I don't blame Forest for issuing a statement that they are viewing their options, it's a farce. In actual fact I am starting to wonder if I care about getting to the Premier League or not, as I've said numerous times I hate everything it stands for and sure as hell won't enjoy next season if we do go up anywhere near as much as the last Two seasons.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:55 am
Oh man, if you haven't seen it just take a look at the ludicrous decisions that went on in the Forest game, absolutely disgusting, and to then discover the guy on VAR is a Luton fan says it all, corruption at its best, I don't blame Forest for issuing a statement that they are viewing their options, it's a farce.
I was intrigued having seen lots of stories about these decisions and chose to have a look. I viewed the MOTD analysis on my phone and have to say 2 of the 3 clips they chose were very 50/50! Media commentators sometimes make things worse, but I feel they called them right! If football was a game of "who can stay on their feet the longest" there's no way that guy goes down for the first decision. The handball incident, while we've seen them given, was very 50/50 and I feel it wasn't a hand to ball incident as handball decisions should be (regardless of this "arms in a natural position malarky)!
The 3rd one, for me, where Young brought their player down was a definite penalty. The referee apparently gestured that Young made contact with the ball! This is where VAR should be used to tell the ref to look at the decision again. The same with the FA Cup game, while it was a ludicrous decision that denied Coventry a cup final place, the decision should not have been taken out of the referee's hands. He (and perhaps the assistant ref on that side) should have been able to look at the monitor, no lines for guidance and decide from that aspect.
All in all if those 3 decisions (in the Forest game) were either for or against Ipswich I think only the last one would be one I had little to celebrate/remonstrate about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:23 pm

For me Two of them were absolutely definite penalties but we all see it differently. One of the biggest issues here is consistency which is non existent, the handball in the semi final and then this one get different outcomes.

Another ridiculous thing is Stuart Atwell, is by all accounts banned from refereeing Forest games and yet he's given the VAR job, what the hell is the difference ? I hate everything about VAR and the Premier League, for me it's getting worse on a weekly basis, I bet if those Three decisions went against us at Hull there'd be a meltdown.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:38 pm

I don't think VAR is going away anytime soon, but I understand the frustration. VAR is still relatively new, so the powers to be need to analyze the process and figure how it can be improved. Technology is a useful tool as long as it is applied ethically and accurately. In my opinion there are a few things that could be approved.

1. Firstly, I think there are still too many humans involved. Get rid of the VAR official and restrict its use to the request of the on-field referee only. I am not saying the on-field referee will always be right, but as it stands now there are too many interruptions. This way, the on-field ref can choose to use VAR as a tool if he is unsure about a decision. Obviously, he will be held accountable if too many decisions he makes are incorrect.

2. Secondly, I don't think offside calls should be overseen by VAR. There are too many fine margins involved, and I think it is better just to go with the Referee's and linesman's calls. Once again, they will be held accountable. Also, get rid of delaying the flag wave for offside and raise the flag immediately.

3. Finally, I do not believe it is accurate to determine red cards for fouls when the play is reviewed in slow motion. In essence, slow motion is manipulated reality. So, let the ref on the pitch make those decisions too.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:53 pm

How was it found out that the VAR bloke was a Luton fan? :lol: :lol: :lol: Finding that hilarious.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pm

Scrap VAR and go with the ref's decision for me. Its thenonly way unless EVERY decision that goes to VAR gets called 100% right. The ref gets some right and some wrong - they are talking points but at least they don't spoil the game like the one for Cov. That was indeed a toenail and never an advantage yet it spoiled it for not only the Cov fans but all neutrals as well.

As for the Prem... I hate it already! 😂 i so want to get there and then step aside so someone else can go up cos it will be pants for supporters who attend when compared with this season.

Other opinions on this are available and if we smash it, all get tickets to games, have no VAR controversy, all games at 3pm on a saturday, don't lose at home to arsenal, liverpool, MU, City etc 0-6, don't sign lazy badge kissers only here for the money, don't attract 'tourist' supporters from asia etc who just want to tick off on their bucket list (and thereby destroy the atmosphere) etc etc, then I will happily say I was wrong - but I know where my money is...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:12 pm

It should work. Works completely fine for every other sport that it is implemented in. Sports with WAAAY more contact and split second decisions.
Harder for the “powers that be” due to the play-acting pussies that play the soccer.

But quite how they’ve made offsides even MORE debatable is anyone’s guess.

Needs sorted as they’re ruining the game completely.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:18 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:56 pm
…..spoiled it for not only the Cov fans but all neutrals as well.
Not all neutrals. Much rather a Manchester derby final than City v Cov. Would rather rearrange the sock drawer than watch that crap. Sorry cousin Peter if you read this..,…. I know you will! :lol:

Bro in law & nephew will be at Wembley in the red end…….. City just have to win……, make the Winchester born & breds cry! :lol: 👍
(Disclaimer; Even wee sister wants that too! :lol: )

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm

Coventry in the final would have been very good for us even if the all-Manchester final should be better to watch. If Coventry had made it I could have envisaged their players looking after themselves in the rest of their league matches with one eye on making sure they didn't get injured in the interim.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:43 pm

Definitely would've helped Ipswich if Coventry had made the final, but I reckon only marginally. No chance in a month of pancake Tuesdays were Coventry ever going to win that one and got to think they'd know this and use their strongest 11 vs ITFC @ Highfield Road..... (Or wherever they play!)

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:58 pm

There couldn't be a better example of why VAR is here to stay. One of the worst bits of officiating by an assistant ref I've seen for a very long time. Gnonto' must have been at least a yard offside when he scored Leeds' 3rd goal.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am

You don’t need VAR and coloured lines drawn to confirm Gnoto was offside, you just need competent well positioned officials.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

Having "linesmen" that are actually allowed to take an active part in the game again , instead of this "refs assistant" crap , might actually be an improvement too. I suspect that linesman was in line with BOTH of those Leeds offside goals, but of course doesn't flag anymore .... whats the bloody point of them then.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm
Coventry in the final would have been very good for us even if the all-Manchester final should be better to watch. If Coventry had made it I could have envisaged their players looking after themselves in the rest of their league matches with one eye on making sure they didn't get injured in the interim.
Very true!

Now unfortunately, I can see Hull taking the to the cleaners, winning , and making our game v Hull next Saturday all the more difficult , and they strive to make those PO's ...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:13 pm
RRanger wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm
Very true!

Now unfortunately, I can see Hull taking the to the cleaners, winning , and making our game v Hull next Saturday all the more difficult , and they strive to make those PO's ...
Norwich and WBA only need a point each and Hulls play off place will be non existent. Hopefully that will be fine before we kick off although the downside then is they’ll be playing with no pressure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:32 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am
You don’t need VAR and coloured lines drawn to confirm Gnoto was offside, you just need competent well positioned officials.
Exactly, bloody incompetence

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:32 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:24 am
Exactly, bloody incompetence
LOL......But Linemen dont really play an active part in games now do they ? They always look to the ref before raising their flag for gods sake ....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 am

:lol: Yes, one of the commentators on sportsound almost lost his job the other week when a player was clearly offside but the Linesman didn’t flag.

“Thats offside i think, nope, play carries on, he whips the ball over. Awwwwww NOW he puts his flag up. What IS THAT RULE? Just put yer fuuu…. (Changes quickly) flag up when ye see it!”
Was hilarious. :lol: