Championship - Middlesbrough vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tough gig on Saturday?

Boro Win
5%
Town Win
63%
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

AzzurroMark

Re: Championship - Middlesbrough vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:57 pm

Really didn't fancy this game today, hence my 2-1 defeat prediction. Well done Town!

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:59 pm

Brilliant win, totally professional apart from why oh why did Morsy kick the ball away. Now he has to avoid a yellow card against Watford if not, he misses the Norwich game. Just silly

Other than that totally awesome from the Town

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:07 pm

Was not expecting us to win today :oops: I had settled for a draw. Could this finally be our Season we visit the promised land again 😍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 pm

MOTM Hladky anyone ?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:25 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 pm
MOTM Hladky anyone ?
Yes for me, that save from wolfie deflection. If that had gone in who knows what would have happened

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:34 pm

I guess the only other candidate would be Burgess. Between them they massively contributed to the clean sheet. 👏👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:36 pm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:09 pm
MOTM Hladky anyone ?
Hldaky or Burgess for me. Just wish Woolfie would show some CB grit like his defensive partner. I just Don’t rate him I’m afraid.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:40 pm

Burgess has been quite a revelation for this team at times.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:46 pm

Our defence stopped conceeding goals like a sieve when he was brought in to partner Woolfie and Edmundson was dropped Woolfie / Edmundson partnership was a joke . If one didn’t make a mistake in the game to gift a goal the other one did. And in some games they both did.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:11 pm

Big win today. Really pleased with that, we played pretty well too, gave up a few chances so perhaps lucky for the clean sheet, but equally we could have scored more.

As above shame Morsy got another yellow, he is certainly likely to miss some of the key games coming up as I’d be surprised if he can go 4 more games without getting booked.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:12 pm

Not a classic by any means. But a deserved win. Second goal looked offside but I didn't see a replay to show it clearly. 4 tough games to go this month but that's a good result.

I predicted 11 points from the 6 games this month; that's 6 from the first 2. Can't do better than that. Just hoping Morsy doesn't get is 10th booking this side of New Year.
Last edited by Andym on Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:15 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:12 pm
Not a classic by any means. But a deserved win. Second goal looked offside but I didn't see a replay to show it clearly. 4 tough games to go this month but that's a good result.
Think Hutchinson thought he was off as he hesitated at first when put through but as they say play to the whistle. Long journey home now but a happy one!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:57 pm

Could have used that score at end of season '81, We would have been League Champions but you can't alter time. Thought today a(nother) loss would have come to pass, was skeptical after the West Bromwich game do we have it in ourselves to make the trip to another tough opposition and take three points but TWTD reports tell the tale we were value for the win and showed real enterprise. That were pleasing to read.

didn't expect hutchinson to score, imagined more recognized names would make an impact or feature but above all else it's not only a valuable win but once again seems we showed desire and effort in getting it. It were imperative to return to winning ways on the road after the trip to WBA.

Middlesbrough it seems had a number of players out and certain omissions. Some could look to that as an easier route to victory but we wouldn't have been able to supply a full squad either. Still to need to gain further information on what occurred but right off the bat that were a real positive score and we played well also to get it. Encouraging stuff for sure.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:32 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:15 pm
Andym wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:12 pm
Think Hutchinson thought he was off as he hesitated at first when put through but as they say play to the whistle. Long journey home now but a happy one!
A idiot in the crowed blew a whistle apparently just as Hutchinson started his run through. Why he hesitated, still so calm though

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 pm

Well on Tuesday away at Watford I would like to see Tuanzebe and Burgess paired again as I think Watford will be a tough nut to crack also do we play Morsy who is on 4 yellows or do we save him for the Norwich game ??? and we have Luongo back and will we play Williams, interesting decisions for Kieran.
The most important game over Christmas is Leicester on Boxing Day will be an absolute sellout. The main thing is we keep plugging away and keep the points advantage we are holding.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:36 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 pm
Well on Tuesday away at Watford I would like to see Tuanzebe and Burgess paired again as I think Watford will be a tough nut to crack also do we play Morsy who is on 4 yellows or do we save him for the Norwich game ??? and we have Luongo back and will we play Williams, interesting decisions for Kieran.
The most important game over Christmas is Leicester on Boxing Day will be an absolute sellout. The main thing is we keep plugging away and keep the points advantage we are holding.
Morsy is on 9 yellow cards

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:55 pm

Got back from Middlesbrough. Really high contrast to what we had seen at West Bromwich two weeks ago.

Our win today was never under a real threat. The most dangerous moment from them came towards the end of the first half where Latte Lath missed one v one. All started from Clarke leaving his area open.

Morsy was absolutely imperious today and his 9 yellow card is a biggest negative of the day. Can anyone believe he'll play in all 3 against Norwich, Leeds and Leicester?

Hladky was ridiculously calm and comfortable today too. Great save in the second half.

Very comfortable win, just like last week against the club who had been in the play-offs last season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:18 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:11 pm
Big win today. Really pleased with that, we played pretty well too, gave up a few chances so perhaps lucky for the clean sheet, but equally we could have scored more.

As above shame Morsy got another yellow, he is certainly likely to miss some of the key games coming up as I’d be surprised if he can go 4 more games without getting booked.
I can’t believe how stupid Morsy was to receive that unavoidable yellow card and so late in the game to. Also as captain of the team it was ridiculous of him to be so irresponsible and I can’t imagine Kieran McKenna would have been overly impressed with him.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:14 am

Another great win for Town!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:51 am

No bloody signal last 2 days !! Well done boys, incredible result!!! Had my Town hoodie on and the number of people on the ship mentioning to me how good we are is fab to hear.