Championship - Watford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Avoid being stung by the Hornets?

Watford Win
6%
Ipswich Win
72%
Draw
22%

Total votes: 18

arana peligrosa

Re: Championship - Watford FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:33 am

It were such an event 'Sir' Elton John were in attendance although the strange fruit probably attends games there regular. Other scores went our way also and we're like 10 points clear of third place or something but not going to get carried away at such premature stage of a season. Pink Un' was worth a visit, wanted to gain reaction what with our meeting next up. Some disgruntled supporters, not jealous, just angry / real disappointed to see us doing so well and some truly believe we're going to be Premier League by next season.

People would expect us to walk all over them next up but it's a derby event and all things are possible. Form is immaterial in games of that nature. We're doing real good but beating them for first time in years is by no means assured.

Couldn't catch the game but seems we were value for it once again and WBA game aside we've proved again we're without question one of the very best this league can provide. Think back to recent time with Cook, Lambert et cetera and look at it now, the difference can't always be put into context. Can't remember a team transformed in such short time and to such great extent, it really is remarkable.

This puts pressure on Leicester to deliver in their own game, only takes a few cracks to show and they can just as easily fall away although somehow think they're stronger than that. A good win for us, we done well once again.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:08 am

To go down 1-0 on the road, tie it relatively soon, then last until the late go ahead goal…really starting to think PL

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:34 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:14 am
This actually from the BBC. (You can check it out here)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67621466

The goal must have put a smile on the face of former Watford chairman Sir Elton John, who was watching the game alongside Ipswich fan Ed Sheeran, but the younger singer/songwriter did not have to wait long for a celebration of his own. When Sam Morsy’s carefully placed shot hit the net, Sir Elton stood up and said to Ed, “get out of my directors box you ginger tosser.”
Everyone around was shocked, but Ed did have the last say by informing Sir Elton that at least the ginger was real, and not looking like something that had crawled up his back and sat on his head.
:D :D :D :D

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:20 am

Goal number one achieved for the season.

That is any potential threat of relegation most definitely seen off :D :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am

Anyone else think Sam Morsy did a Cantona type “ non” celebration in front of the Town fans behind that goal? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:38 am

WAS DANCING ON THE SHIP LAST NIGHT BABY !!! AND I LET EVERY f*cker KNOW I WAS ITFC !!!!!!

Still trying to find the Leeds w*nkers this morning at Brekky. Now on way to Amsterdam with my ITFC hoodie proudly showing the world!!!!!

ITID

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:43 am

Brilliant result - probably the most significant win for us to date.

I was pleased to see KM say that leaving Morsy out of this one was never an option - quite right, too, every game we play is as important as the next one and the decision to play him last night was most definitely vindicated.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:28 am

fantastic result, great game that could have gone either way.

We were bound to concede from playing out from the back at some point but I'm glad we kept doing it as its key to our game, so I'm totally ok to give Vas a pass there, he has been immense.

Axel was decent, I can see Wolfie coming back for Norwich but suspect Axel will play at least one of Leeds and Leicester.

Omari was back to form, Harness also gave us a bit more control on the ball vs Broady (who has been a tad quite of late) - he doesn't offer quite the same magic moments as Broady though but good for games like this.

Subs all did well etc, great team performance AGAIN.

I was buzzing last night, its very hard to just go to bed and sleep after these town evening matches!

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:28 am
fantastic result, great game that could have gone either way.

We were bound to concede from playing out from the back at some point but I'm glad we kept doing it as its key to our game, so I'm totally ok to give Vas a pass there, he has been immense.

Axel was decent, I can see Wolfie coming back for Norwich but suspect Axel will play at least one of Leeds and Leicester.

Omari was back to form, Harness also gave us a bit more control on the ball vs Broady (who has been a tad quite of late) - he doesn't offer quite the same magic moments as Broady though but good for games like this.

Subs all did well etc, great team performance AGAIN.

I was buzzing last night, its very hard to just go to bed and sleep after these town evening matches!
I agree with all of that. Conceding a goal from playing out has to be balanced against the many goals we have scored by playing that way. And as you say, it’s the way we play and we shouldn’t change because of one error.

Also agree with your comment about Broadhead - he can do something special but has had subs very quiet games lately.

I think we are well places with cover in all areas except one; I don’t think we have an adequate replacement for Morsy or Luongo; we have cover but not anywhere near the same standard.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:16 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:01 pm
shabba wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:28 am
I think we are well places with cover in all areas except one; I don’t think we have an adequate replacement for Morsy or Luongo; we have cover but not anywhere near the same standard.
Taylor is learning the role and doing ok, we haven't seem Humphreys much at this level, but we do also have Dom Ball. I know what you mean though.

For me the one we don't have like for like cover for is Hirst.....Freddy is a different player, so is Dane. Nobody has his strength, work rate etc and we often lack that outlet when we need to hold onto a lead and he is off the pitch

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:45 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who can’t sleep after a Town game Shabba!! :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:45 pm
Glad I’m not the only one who can’t sleep after a Town game Shabba!! :lol:
I don’t know about after them but there was a time when I used to sleep all through Town games. :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:13 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:08 am
To go down 1-0 on the road, tie it relatively soon, then last until the late go ahead goal…really starting to think PL
Yep Ohio…….. it is starting to look very real indeed.

Ipswich Town are so far ahead at the moment that the type of collapse required to see the club avoid the top flight ——>> Kieron would be fighting to keep his job. That’ll be the reality. Especially on other platforms ——>> the majority on here have brain cells that work properly.

Think its generally accepted that the club have a fairly decent “strength in depth” scenario going on, so it’d be devastating luck if the 2nd half of the season to be littered with injuries.

And ——->> clubs “working us out” doesn't exist. People shouldn’t fall into the trap of believing that Bullshit.

EPL bound…….. very real. 👍👌