Championship - Ipswich Town vs Leicester City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we respond to the Leeds result?

Ipswich Win
59%
Leicester Win
24%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 17

lucy

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Leicester City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm

I can't understand why if fit Brandon Williams isn't playing. I'd rather him than Clarke.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:43 pm

Personally I think Clarke has been our best player, look at f**king Burns lack of defensive help. As for bringing on Jackson instead of Ladapo confirms to me what I was told and that is Ladapo is leaving in January, if he doesn't go KM has got it wrong.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:47 pm

Leicester are so calm and composed; they look like the home team. Clarke absent for goal, almost gifted another. Taylor invisible. Are you confident with Jackson as our loan striker? I’m not, hope I’m wrong.

We have no structure, especially in midfield. Defense is nervous. Calm down, play positions, create attacks. Do we have the players to do that? I’m not sure to be honest.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:51 pm

Clarke should be on the corner of the penalty box. Where the f*ck was he? Burns needs to track back better, but where was Clarke?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:16 pm

Get Hutchy on , Kieron

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:16 pm

Get Broadhead and Hutchinson on

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:28 pm

We chase the ball too much. Sit back and play your position! Mark your man or zone ffs! Look at how we have midfielders grouped together. It’s a practice game for Leicester.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:40 pm

1-1 Morsy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:41 pm

FKN GET IN !!!!!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:42 pm

Come on, a nice point and a confidence boost that will be if they hold it. Its only a point and we're probably not competing with Leicester, but it's still important.

Most of all, shows they don't give up, even againt table toppers.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:50 pm

Great point against a super team

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:51 pm

Pumped them in the stats. And the beeb changed Morsy to Vesty OG, but who cares. A decent hard fought point. Two points from nine last 3, arguably lower table form but its been top opposition and a derby.
Back to promotion ways v Stoke & QPR next couple games 👍👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:52 pm

Superb second half, outplayed them after the break

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:53 pm

Pleased with the performance even before the goal well played Town.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:58 pm

Good point really given what could have happened.

Not going to be the last two games that make the season but let's be frank we are in a great position and just need to concentrate on winning our next game and maintaining the pressure on those around us.

Hopefully when we look back on the season it will be this last few days that turned out to be our only significant blip on our journey.

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:18 pm

Well worth me slipping and buggering my knee :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:30 pm

We were relentless in the second half, and it paid off. There’s a lot of questions, but drawing with the top side is immense!

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:56 pm

Ipswich starting 11 = £8 Million

Leicester starting 11 = £121 Milion :shock:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:56 am

Ya know, I’m tired of hearing this stuff about how expensive other team’s players are. In my opinion, it’s no excuse. Show up and play your game, you’ll be fine. Like a souped-up Ford Cortina versus a Porsche 911, we’ll rev our engines until the final day!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:13 am

Happy to take the point. Felt like a win when that goal went in! Keep the faith and we will be just fine. Too much space to leave a quality player like Mavididi for their goal but we persevered and got our reward. Very happy tonight. COYB's!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:00 am

Just loved my first visit to Portman Road for many years and came away feeling like we’d won. Definitely a game of two halves and on the balance of play the point was well deserved. I thought we were fortunate not to have conceded a penalty in the second half and can count ourselves lucky for that as I wouldn’t have fancied our chances coming back from two down. The game changer was bringing on Hutchinson & Broadhead although I was surprised it hadn’t happened 10 minutes sooner, had it been we may have even sneaked a win given the impetus it gave us.

With Leeds losing maybe we’ll start looking at Southampton as another threat, although if we play the rest of the season like we did in tonight’s second half we shouldn’t have too much to worry about.

Half way and 2nd in the table, I’ll take that 👍.

COYB’s 💙

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:49 am

Great point for Town. Thought they performed really well but Leicester on a different level (not massive but a step ahead) and look certs for promotion. Given the Leeds loss its a really good point.
Second half of season going to be much harder than first though, so January window is really important.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:24 am

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:49 am
Great point for Town. Thought they performed really well but Leicester on a different level (not massive but a step ahead) and look certs for promotion. Given the Leeds loss its a really good point.
Second half of season going to be much harder than first though, so January window is really important.
I agree VR, the second half of the season will almost certainly be tougher, however our owners will almost certainly be feeling they are within touching distance of a huge return on capital investment if they get a quick return to the promised land. With a potential 5 fold gain on their original £40m investment I think we’ll bd active in the January window to make sure the opportunity isn’t lost. The next four weeks will therefore be interesting to say the least.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see three or even four reinforcements coming in as long we can get right players which is more important than the number.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:48 am

lucy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm
I can't understand why if fit Brandon Williams isn't playing. I'd rather him than Clarke.

I tend to agree with you here Lucy although I have a feeling there’s something not 100% right with Brandon Williams and ITFC but I don’t know what it is. Unlike Mike I thought Harry Clarke looked poor last night and left us far too exposed down their left side which is where most of their threat was coming from. I think Brandon Williams reads the game much better than Harry but of course he is only a loanee.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:17 am

Definitely a must for 3pts @ PR on Friday v QPR.

Southampton 3pts @ home to Plymouth
Leicester 3pts away @ Cardiff.
Leeds may only get a point @ WBA

Big win Friday night v QPR 👍👌

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:19 am

WHAT a performance by our lads last night, barring the obligatory c*ck up in that right corner of our defence, we more than matched Leicester ( who I think are by far the best team to come to PR and certainly better than Leeds).

Clarke will no doubt get the fall out for going awol again. Not sure why this part of his gsme continues to happen. But I think it’s about poor communication and poor covering from Burns, Woolfie down that right side. Why ciz hung us not sitting this out I don’t know. That aside , I thought Clarke played like a man possessed last night . So strong and determined to make something happen.

We probed and probed all night long and had we not given that soft goal we’d have surely chained all 3points.

It’s a pity Omari is do young ( his decision baking occasionally letting him down), because he’s absolutely streets ahead of Burns in attacking threat. If Burns get the pass into space and us running onto the ball he’ll invariably deliver. But receive the ball in a standing position - forget it. He rarely takes on his man and beats him.

The right side of the team is our weakness both attacking snd definitely defensively.

Following Hirst hamstring injury he could be out for a while now. So we essentially have no strikers to lead the line.

Mike and I were told last night two findings are a fair way down the road to completion. But we need in my view two maybe three defenders ( will Williams be staying / playing again?) and a striker.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:48 am
lucy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:15 pm

I tend to agree with you here Lucy although I have a feeling there’s something not 100% right with Brandon Williams and ITFC but I don’t know what it is. Unlike Mike I thought Harry Clarke looked poor last night and left us far too exposed down their left side which is where most of their threat was coming from. I think Brandon Williams reads the game much better than Harry but of course he is only a loanee.
I don't think Mckenna will be too eager to play anyone who's got problems with heavies turning up at the training ground demanding money from gambling debts back, not to mention the the Two bodyguards that have by all accounts been employed.

Aside from that on first inspection their first goal looks totally Clarkes fault but as is mentioned in the match report Clarke tracked the run of the guy who cuts inside because no other lazy f*cker did, thus leaving the guy on the outside in acres of space and yet nobody else closed in on him either, caught between the devil and the deep blue sea really. I thought he had a decent game, he's far from perfect for sure but far more dependable on a regular basis than Williams who let's not forget was hooked off at half time in one game because he was getting run ragged and it sure as he'll wasn't against the best team in the division.
On 36, Clarke made the challenge of the evening when he slid in to dispossess Mavididi after the forward had again been played in by Ndidi with the earlier scorer otherwise in on goal inside the box.
Everyone asleep when that happened? :wink:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:17 am
Definitely a must for 3pts @ PR on Friday v QPR.

Southampton 3pts @ home to Plymouth
Leicester 3pts away @ Cardiff.
Leeds may only get a point @ WBA

Big win Friday night v QPR 👍👌
Agree with you marko definitely another big game on Friday night. On paper it looks like it should be 3 points but as we all know games like this are always a potential banana skin and can throw up a surprise. Tbh I would take a 1-0 Town win right now with the winner coming off a QPR defenders backside if it means we get the 3 points.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:46 am

True, Shed…… a win is a win……, but it’d be great if it was a real showing of intent to others….., show that the 2 points from 9 means nothing…… the team are better than that and they can bounce back with a Southampton 5-0 style win.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:24 pm

2nd half performance last night. If Town play like that against the rest of the Championship teams they will win far more than they will lose.