Championship - Stoke FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A win to start the New Year?

Stoke Win
12%
Ipswich Win
47%
Draw
41%

Total votes: 17

ashfordblue

Re: Championship - Stoke FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:15 pm
Yes it’s a stupid schedule isn’t it! And it does favour the relegated PL clubs in my opinion because they have depth in their squads , so are less affected by injuries/ illness …. I think our squad has run out of steam over this really tough month…. And we’ll have another one to get through in April.
Providing we bring in an adequate number of new players to get us through the tough 4 months, but 2 strikers are a must and another centre-back and providing we get no further injuries or suspensions we should be ok, in Keiran we trust

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:07 pm

George Hirst won't be back until the back end of the Season. He needs an operation to repair rupture 😞

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:13 pm

Before the match would have readily accepted a point: historically we have seldom done well at Stoke.

However, probably like most, feel a tad disappointed we didn’t get the win - particularly against 10 men, and given our really good second half performance. Greater inventiveness and more accurate final balls, might have unlocked a resolute Stoke defence. So, despite our recent travails with sickness and injuries, and seven team changes, the boys done good!

Surprising bonus was how our makeshift defence coped, resulting in a second successive clean sheet. The whole back line did ever so well, giving KM some welcome food for thought! Trying Broady in the central striker role was also interesting.

Finally, a grudging thanks to our feathered neighbours for denying the Saints all 3 points.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:20 pm

Our front three have become less effective since Hirst’s injury . God knows who we’ll get in to replace him. Hirst took a season to get to his current level so anyone coming in had to learn / gel as well…. Fine margins and all that…

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:27 pm

Terrifying isn't it, I think Hirst is a huge piece of how this team works, I really hope I'm wrong about that. He is replacable, but it'll be hard. Ladapo looks like he has one foot out the door, he has not looked happy and has a history of voicing that (I think). Perhaps he's kicking himself now an opportunity has presented itself, I may be wrong, but he may have just burnt a bridge. Jackson ain't going to do the job, nothing against him, but he doesn't have the required quality, he's a very heads down player.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:41 pm

Oh do you think Ladapo will have spoken to McKenna then? I can understand it to some extent, but he’s not championship level unfortunately.
Hirst had become pivotal and it’s not easy to replace that intuitive combination that frongbthree had with him in there. He’s a massive miss and it’s likely to be a tipping point in my view to holding onto 2nd ( which had been getting increasingly more difficult).

It’ll be no disgrace to “ end up in the play offs” though will it. The squad had done brilliantly so far but in all honesty the quality in depth was never there - which is why Ashton/ McKenna continue to talk about window upon window gradual building . If we finish top two / six , it’s a bonus frankly. Problem will be what we have to pay now to bring these additions in, in Jan window.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:52 pm

Very good performance today and a point was the least we deserved, it maintains our Three point cushion which I'm happy with tbh. I don't get sucked in by this Ten man nonsense cus it's never easy against Ten as we all well know, they showed little desire to win the game and with a patched up forward line it was just too much for us to win the game.

Hirst is done for the season and we need to deal with it and not make excuses, it's happened at the best possible time to do something about it so I expect Two new strikers in as Hirst will need to be removed from the squad. Shame about Morsy but it was always going to happen, others need to step up. All in all a decent day results wise.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:41 pm
Oh do you think Ladapo will have spoken to McKenna then?
I'm extremely reading between very vague lines, but Freddy hasn't seemed his happy self for a while and he's been given less time. I think being shuffled below Jackson and only getting 5 minutes suggests at least McKenna doesn't think his style suits, or it's already been discussed that a transfer is for the best, at worst there has been a falling out. Ledapo isn't anything like Hirst, but his goals per minute for Town have been I think second to none (same goals per minute ratio as Chaplin last season at least), so it seems a little odd.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:18 pm

I've got to be honest I don't think Mckenna has handled Ladapo very well at all, dropping him in the pecking order below Scarlett and Jackson who both contributed nothing is ridiculous, I'm not surprised Freddie is pissed off if that is the case. With Hirst getting injured it's KM fault that we now have an out of sorts Ladapo on our hands and no replacement to lead the line, as Ricco says Ladapo is the most prolific striker at the club for goals per minute, nobody can say he isn't up to this level because he hasn't been given a chance. Anyway we move on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:18 pm

Freddie’s threat was always IN the box … that back to goal leaning into the CB just isn’t a championship way and his game lacks anything else. But not to do him down here. He’s a bloody brilliant League One striker. He needs games and is good enough to walk into most league one sides . It’s time for pastures new for him. Jackson (for me) is another one that needs replacing. He has no end product, but will chase loose paper all day, as Royle once said of Kuqi

Not sure when Evans is due to return but if it’s not anytime soon I’d say we also need a combative ball winning midfielder in through the door. We have no one to replace Morsy.

For me it’s about 4-5 players we need

Strikers x2
CMF
CB
RB

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:28 pm

Someone on that other site said that Freddie had just bought a house locally you wouldn't think he would if he's likely to move soon.
I know Freddie is not a Hirst type player but it does seem strange that Jackson is in front of him IMO Freddie will always score more goals and with crosses they are a waste as Jackson has no chance scoring with his head.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:18 pm
I've got to be honest I don't think Mckenna has handled Ladapo very well at all, dropping him in the pecking order below Scarlett and Jackson who both contributed nothing is ridiculous, I'm not surprised Freddie is pissed off if that is the case. With Hirst getting injured it's KM fault that we now have an out of sorts Ladapo on our hands and no replacement to lead the line, as Ricco says Ladapo is the most prolific striker at the club for goals per minute, nobody can say he isn't up to this level because he hasn't been given a chance. Anyway we move on.
He had Two massive chances against qpr in the first ten mins, after that his boots may as well have been made of pin ball flippers so bad was his first touch. He's done well for town in league 1 but he's not up to it in this league

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:47 pm

When you look at the overall cost of our squad as has been mentioned, it’s no wonder we’re struggling to cover major injuries and absences. We’ve done extremely well to be in the position we are, and now it will be extremely difficult to maintain that position. Even a playoff spot may become decidedly more difficult with our current situation. Obviously, we need reinforcements quickly although I don’t expect to see more than 2 or 3 new additions. Furthermore, it will take time for any new additions to learn and become comfortable with KM’s system. Two clean sheets is encouraging, and once we begin scoring again I’m hoping we’ll overcome this dip in form. Every club has to deal with injuries, suspensions and international call ups, but at least we still have McKenna to guide us towards more success going forward.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Freddie’s threat was always IN the box … that back to goal leaning into the CB just isn’t a championship way and his game lacks anything else. But not to do him down here. He’s a bloody brilliant League One striker. He needs games and is good enough to walk into most league one sides . It’s time for pastures new for him. Jackson (for me) is another one that needs replacing. He has no end product, but will chase loose paper all day, as Royle once said of Kuqi

Not sure when Evans is due to return but if it’s not anytime soon I’d say we also need a combative ball winning midfielder in through the door. We have no one to replace Morsy.

For me it’s about 4-5 players we need

Strikers x2
CMF
CB
RB
But what budget do we have? The only figure I've seen quoted is £3m - that's not really enough to get in just one quality player at this level, let alone 5. I think we may well have to do mainly with what we've got, and I agree with Mike when he said that KM has not managed the Ladapo situation at all well. Hirst was largely unproven at this level, yet most people think he's done well for us - well, Ladapo might have done equally as well with better encouragement and support and game time, but i think the damage has been done now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 pm

Unless we get players in on loan?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:26 pm
And that Liz is exactly what Keiran will do to get Loan players like Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Brum, and Diallo Man U, He knows he's got to get cracking ASAP we have to bring the players we need to keep competing in this championship race, I'm very confident that 2 strikers will solve most problems the rest Keiran can sort out with the £3 million budget we have to spend.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:17 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
And that Liz is exactly what Keiran will do to get Loan players like Stansfield of Fulham on loan at Brum, and Diallo Man U, He knows he's got to get cracking ASAP we have to bring the players we need to keep competing in this championship race, I'm very confident that 2 strikers will solve most problems the rest Keiran can sort out with the £3 million budget we have to spend.

I can’t see Diallo going out on loan especially now he’s on the verge of breaking into the first team and part of their First Team in squad. Saturday he was on the bench for United’s game at Forest and played most of the second half after replacing Anthony on 54 mins and doing very well.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:10 am

hallamblue wrote:
but loan players will still need their wages to be paid, Liz - is that to come out of the same pot or is there a separate budget? We don't know. In any case, loans are never the answer.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:10 am

Opportunity missed against Stoke unfortunately for 3pts. Final ball especially Hutchinson was poor. I was impressed with Edmundson thought he was solid, hope it continues. What we didn't do enough is shoot. We were trying to walk it in. Anyway it's another point.

herforder

Post by herforder » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am

In bound transfers have to be within the bounds of FFP rules. That’s a significantly limiting factor - as much as it’s a policy that rewards failure. Of course there will be new arrivals, but probably not enough to cover all the positions needed, or to give us the luxury of strength in-depth. And whoever arrives should, ideally, bring additional quality to the squad.

Realistically, and given that we’re still work in progress, it might take a couple of more windows to get where we want to be. In the meantime, however, I have confidence that KM/MA will get the absolute maximum out of all available resources. Our current league position, despite blips and bumps in the road, prove the point!

As for FL - to be honest I don’t know what’s really occurring. No doubt his strengths don’t really gel with the way KM wants to play; yet he did well enough to help win promotion. He should ideally play as part of a two up front partnership. Jackson isn’t the answer, whilst KM tried Broady yesterday. No doubt it will all sort itself out in the coming days - ideally the earlier the better.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I'd look at it the other way and say that McKenna has set a standard that Ladapo isn't meeeting in his behaviour and wants to bin him. McKenna's man management has been first class since he arrived. Ladapo has history at other clubs and I'd say good riddance. He's not good enough anyway so move on get a fee for him and replace.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:41 pm
Oh do you think Ladapo will have spoken to McKenna then? I can understand it to some extent, but he’s not championship level unfortunately.
Hirst had become pivotal and it’s not easy to replace that intuitive combination that frongbthree had with him in there. He’s a massive miss and it’s likely to be a tipping point in my view to holding onto 2nd ( which had been getting increasingly more difficult).

It’ll be no disgrace to “ end up in the play offs” though will it. The squad had done brilliantly so far but in all honesty the quality in depth was never there - which is why Ashton/ McKenna continue to talk about window upon window gradual building . If we finish top two / six , it’s a bonus frankly. Problem will be what we have to pay now to bring these additions in, in Jan window.
I get that, but where Town at the moment have a hell of a chance of going up even if not via automatic. I'm interested in how new owners invest in this window. Town have momentum at the moment and its not always easy to maintain and say we will do it over a number of windows. Other thing is McKenna may be in demand come the summer, although Premiership would be the only destination I would say he would go to. Probably a bit early on balance. I'd say deep down they 100% want to go up now but are realistic to think it may not happen and are savvy enough to plan long term

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:09 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:53 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I'd look at it the other way and say that McKenna has set a standard that Ladapo isn't meeeting in his behaviour and wants to bin him. McKenna's man management has been first class since he arrived. Ladapo has history at other clubs and I'd say good riddance. He's not good enough anyway so move on get a fee for him and replace.
errrmmm - am I missing something here? If, as you say, he's not good enough then how would we get a fee for him?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm

So what you are saying is that KM went into a new season with a player he didn't believe was up to the division we are in and wasted a squad position on him ? That being the case, it's terrible management all round.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:09 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:53 pm
Bluemike wrote:
errrmmm - am I missing something here? If, as you say, he's not good enough then how would we get a fee for him?
Why not ?, A lower level Championship team, League One. Not 100% on his contract situation but if he moves in window he won't go as a free ?
He's not good enough for where Town are at the moment and what they want to achieve, his attitude is suspect also so shift him

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm
So what you are saying is that KM went into a new season with a player he didn't believe was up to the division we are in and wasted a squad position on him ? That being the case, it's terrible management all round.
No he was using his as a squad player. Hirst was always his number one striker with how the team plays and what he brings. He probably hoped he could kick on like a number of players this season but he hasn't as he isn't good enough. Jackson is the same.
With half a season in Championship McKenna now has his whole squad assessed and knows who he will move on if he can.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:49 pm

I don't understand how someone can say he can't cut it at this level, like League 1 and the Championship are practically different sports somehow. Ladapo has not had the time this season to get his eye in, its unfair to judge. He also scored 9 goals for Rotherham in a relegation season in the Championship, so I think that shows he can do it, 9 goals is not a lot, but that has to translate to 15 goals or more if in a better side further up the table.

The rest is a little moot as we never know what goes on behind closed doors, it's clear he's nothing like Hirst, so perhaps McKenna didn't think his style works, perhaps Freddie has become fed up of bench warming, perhaps he's had a niggle, perhaps anything. The one thing I will say however is that it appears from the outside that McKenna has been an excellent man manager, nearly all players (Edmundson in this game for one) have stayed motivated, kean and have relished opportunities and revelled in the success of the team without them. It makes me hesitant to think he has mismanaged Ladapo.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:00 pm

I don't get why there is suddenly an assumption Freddie has poor attitude etc ? I get he may be pissed off at not playing but that should go for any professional footballer, they should all be itching to play.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:47 pm

I'm just surprised he hasn't played more, and one possibility is attitude, I have zero evidence to give credit to that possibility. We're all just trying to sus things out, as it's the most important position/issue to solve now that Hirst is crocked.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:59 pm

I know Freddie can't do the job that Hirst has done but he certainly has not been given a chance this season and putting him on with just a few minutes left in the game is no good, I don't mind Jackson being given time when playing on the wing but playing him in the middle is just a waste IMO.