Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we hold onto second place?

Ipswich Win
81%
Sunderland Win
6%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

herforder

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:24 pm

Some great comments from - as predicted - a hard fought game between two well matched teams, both guilty at times of committing basic passing errors. But this was about getting a result and the whole team and coaching staff, welded together in an unbreakable bond when faced with adversity, deserve every plaudit for ensuring we run out the right side of some fine margins. This will do wonders for team confidence heading into the next massive game in 9 days time.

Slight worry for KM is that some played out of their skins, whilst a couple were subdued and had minimal impact; but he used the squad effectively, and both newbies did well. Sad to see the Jackson haters making their presence known with moronic messages held up in the crowd. Nothing justifies such behaviour, which invariably has an adverse effect on the individual and the team. Once the shirt is on……..

Believe this was the first time in 9 that Slumberland have lost, having scored first - so another wee victory! Predicted a 2-1 win; how lucky am I.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:40 pm

Think I've just about recovered from watching! 😂 Had to spend the last 10 minutes hiding behind the sofa though! 🙈 A great 3 points from the lads, hard fought and deservedly won.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:15 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:25 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:13 pm
Not necessarily in performance but in terms of character and spirit, today was as good as anything we have produced this season. Was really impressed with Travis and thought we thoroughly deserved the win. As for the ref I will leave others to comment.
OK, I'll bite. The referee was awful.
Well again i disagree. I thought he showed why he is now going to be refereeing in the Premiership. It seems every game Ipswich play this season there is a ref issue. For me its nonsense.

Huge win tonight given the players missing and the manner.
Agree with Hallam on Taylor. MOM for me was Chaplin a little gem of a player and fantastic attitude.
Far better side in second half.
Substitutions were superb and really made a huge difference.
Defense is very fragile though. Got to stop having to come from behind.
Huge game coming up at Leicester
Last edited by valleyroad on Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:23 pm

I must admit I thought the Ref was decent too, apart from the penalty shout I didn't think he got much wrong.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:23 pm
I must admit I thought the Ref was decent too, apart from the penalty shout I didn't think he got much wrong.
I thought he got the pen right too, but it was a difficult one and i wouldn't have been surprised to have seen it given. Who'd be a ref :)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:50 pm

Even though I predicted a 2-1 win, I have to admit I wasn’t confident after seeing the starting lineup. Kudos to Jackson, I’ve certainly been critical of him but I’m genuinely happy for him finally getting a goal. I’m a bit worried about Broadhead. I’m hoping he rebounds sooner rather than later. With Southampton winning and having the better goal difference, this was a very important win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:23 pm
It’s strange how we each see things differently. I thought he got the penalty decision right and my criticism of him was his inconsistency handing out yellow cards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:26 am

The win tonight definitely sets us up nicely for the trip to Leicester next week and even better we have an extra couple of days to recover and get players fit. Lewis Travis we now know can do a good job in the centre of midfield and Kayden Jackson will be brimming with confidence assuming he gets another start. One thing for sure McKenna will definitely have the players up for it and our strength in depth was quite evident tonight.

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:22 am

I told myself yesterday that when I woke up this morning, I would ignore all media and wait until the replay of the game at 10am. Instead, I woke up at 6am and immediately checked the score on my phone! Couldn't wait. The second thing I did was check the team line-up to see if Davis played and Travis started. I think any critique of the team's performance needs to have a massive disclaimer in that we played with the medical equivalent of a heart transplant! A new midfield pairing and one of the two on debut - I reckon that's massive. The team showed real character and fight (plenty of fouls) and I couldn't be prouder to be a supporter than I am today!

A few thoughts:
- Travis looked good; strong, vocal, and slotted in well considering the small amount of time since his signing.
- Taylor looked hot and cold: a couple of flashes of class and quite a few wayward passes.
- What happened to Broadhead? Do you think his lack of involvement was a symptom of the midfield pairing?
- Relieved Davis is back
- What do you think about Sarmiento? Too soon to tell?

Looking forward to Leicester now. I think we'll need them to have a bad day at the office in order to beat them and they certainly had that last night against Coventry.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:35 am

I thought Travis did very well, I also thought the small cameo from Sarmiento showed enough to suggest he could be a real asset, quite a handful. Taylor as a regular starter I'm really not sure about and I honestly think there could be a strong case for Harness starting ahead of Broadhead, who for me has been poor for quite some time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:18 am

Love this thread , some absolutely brilliant comments, views and opinions : just what a forum should be about 👍👍 :D

I think Sarmiento will be a stunning addition as will Travis . The former’s contribution with Omari gave Sunderland so many problems and any defence would shudder at the prospect of these two coming on when their legs are fading. Brilliant tactics by McKenna.

Good shout Mike re Harness. I’d play him from the start v Leicester.

I think there’s a good chance we’ll sign Travis and Omari in the summer. I think Omaris contract is up ?

Defence … more specifically the right side of central defence remains the biggest issue for me . Defenders ( Fridge, Burgess) playing left side always seem to play a blinder when they’re in the team. But I still feel Woolfie is not good enough in his “ defensive” role . I’m not talking about his bring the ball out of defence . That’s not defending. The right back position had been variable in quality, but over recent games Clarke has started to look much more assured . Maybe his Achilles problem is finally settling ?

However Woolfie (defensively) for me continues to flatter to deceive. If you look at Sunderland’s goal , I’m asking why isn’t he looking to close down their player in the edge of the box? There’s a huge gap which he shoots through. Woolfie doesn’t mark a player - ever. He constantly drops off ( back) and marks fresh air.

I know people will think, oh no here she goes again banging on about Woolfie. But I do honestly think he’s a weakness IN our box . Nearly all goals against come from our right side. McKenna clearly likes him ( but who else do we have ?) Axel is still getting up to match speed and tbh once fully fit he’d be my choice with Burgess. But we shall see what happens . But we conceded so many soft goals and give ourselves a massive job to come back from , time and time again.

Brilliant result again though 👍👍

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:35 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:10 pm
Someone called Brenner Woolley saying Taylor has been very good tonight? :shock: Which is it? You guys saying he's shyte.
I would take anything that Mr Wally says with a pinch of salt - he has his favourites and is always incredibly biased towards them.

Great result today, especially given that we started the game terribly and for most of the game were ponderous on the ball at best. I nearly nodded off at one stage in the first half, we were moving the ball so slowly.

Taylor proved once again that he is Division One level at best - how he stayed on the pitch all game is beyond me.

When Jackson came off, Broadhead replaced him in taking the front man role until he was taken off a few minutes later, but in those few minutes it was obvious that there is no way he should ever be played as the front man - he's so lightweight, cannot hold the ball up, and does not close down - one of the biggest nancies I have seen recently.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 am

Absolutely spot on regarding Broadhead up top, fish out of water. Jackson actually did well.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:35 am
I thought Travis did very well, I also thought the small cameo from Sarmiento showed enough to suggest he could be a real asset, quite a handful. Taylor as a regular starter I'm really not sure about and I honestly think there could be a strong case for Harness starting ahead of Broadhead, who for me has been poor for quite some time.
For me Taylor is a difficult one. Imo he certainly hasn’t done enough to be a regular starter but needs more minutes in the side to try and improve his game. At times he struggles to make a simple pass but then shows he has passing ability as proved yesterday with the ball he played to Burns in the 1st half. Also, as he has already shown he has a knack of popping up with a screamer on occasions.
Hopefully KM and the coaching staff can work on his game in training and he can step up a bit more.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:14 pm

I wonder if Taylor’s finding the step up a league, and the pressure of having to deliver consistent midfield quality, a bit daunting?. Not helped by lack of starting opportunities - whereas at Peterborough he was nailed on. Perhaps a case of a ‘big fish’ moving into a bigger pond, with even bigger fish to compete with. Agree that there’s undoubtedly a decent player in there, and that KM and the coaching boys will work with him. Trying a tad too hard perhaps, rather than playing natural game.

Disappointed with NB. Not sure why some performances are worryingly below par, when he’s one of the most technically gifted boys in the squad. Certainly not a GH replacement (a role I thought he might be able to play). But he was fairly anonymous for much of yesterday - which of course impacts the whole team’s performance. In this case they did exceptionally well with two players a bit under.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:24 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:35 am
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:10 pm
Someone called Brenner Woolley saying Taylor has been very good tonight? :shock: Which is it? You guys saying he's shyte.
I would take anything that Mr Wally says with a pinch of salt - he has his favourites and is always incredibly biased towards them.
Everyone is guilty of that unfortunately. Which underlines that it’s all about personal opinion.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:40 pm

I think Taylor has the skills, but he lacks consistency. That’s his problem in a nutshell for me anyway.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:18 am
Love this thread , some absolutely brilliant comments, views and opinions : just what a forum should be about 👍👍 :D

I think Sarmiento will be a stunning addition as will Travis . The former’s contribution with Omari gave Sunderland so many problems and any defence would shudder at the prospect of these two coming on when their legs are fading. Brilliant tactics by McKenna.

Good shout Mike re Harness. I’d play him from the start v Leicester.

I think there’s a good chance we’ll sign Travis and Omari in the summer. I think Omaris contract is up ?

Defence … more specifically the right side of central defence remains the biggest issue for me . Defenders ( Fridge, Burgess) playing left side always seem to play a blinder when they’re in the team. But I still feel Woolfie is not good enough in his “ defensive” role . I’m not talking about his bring the ball out of defence . That’s not defending. The right back position had been variable in quality, but over recent games Clarke has started to look much more assured . Maybe his Achilles problem is finally settling ?

However Woolfie (defensively) for me continues to flatter to deceive. If you look at Sunderland’s goal , I’m asking why isn’t he looking to close down their player in the edge of the box? There’s a huge gap which he shoots through. Woolfie doesn’t mark a player - ever. He constantly drops off ( back) and marks fresh air.

I know people will think, oh no here she goes again banging on about Woolfie. But I do honestly think he’s a weakness IN our box . Nearly all goals against come from our right side. McKenna clearly likes him ( but who else do we have ?) Axel is still getting up to match speed and tbh once fully fit he’d be my choice with Burgess. But we shall see what happens . But we conceded so many soft goals and give ourselves a massive job to come back from , time and time again.

Brilliant result again though 👍👍
Liz, I'm with you on Wolfie sometimes he's scaringly playing absolutely nonchalance slow out of defence with the ball and I can see a mistake going to happen :shock: then with Jack Clarke's goal for Sunderland once again Harry Clarke gets drawn over to the left side without protecting his right position, the result is a very easy goal for the Mackems, and I agree with your future pairing of Burgess and Tuanzebe with Baggott as a backup, but Harry has to stop this wandering away from his right and leaving their left-sided players with acres of space to work in, so maybe another RB could be the answer if Williams stays at Man Utd, I think Samiento and Hutchinson working either flank will certainly cause defenders big problems, and Travis is a welcome addition to the midfield worked his socks off, and you can tell he was the captain at Blackburn with his barking out of orders I still say we need another striker or two and hopefully it will be sorted before the window shuts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:45 am

Take a look back at some game highlights and see why Clarke gets drawn out of position, trust me its often because others are messing up, it's not just him, he got the sponsors MOTM for a reason, he played well, although not as well as Chaplin

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:45 am
Take a look back at some game highlights and see why Clarke gets drawn out of position, trust me its often because others are messing up, it's not just him, he got the sponsors MOTM for a reason, he played well, although not as well as Chaplin
He will also get drawn out of position because he’s a wing back as well as a defender and the same with Leif Davis buts that why the defence has to play as a single unit covering one another.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
He will also get drawn out of position because he’s a wing back as well as a defender and the same with Leif Davis buts that why the defence has to play as a single unit covering one another.
Playing your position, is a fundamental of football tactics.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:03 pm

It is a fundamental but occasionally you have no option but to cover others.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:10 pm

I know we won the game but it jars me a bit to see that Cameron Burgess sat on the bench the entire game against bloody India of all teams while we are fighting for the Premier League, nobody will ever convince me that it makes sense. Tin pot competition.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:49 pm

It’s all about the money, money!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:33 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Playing your position, is a fundamental of football tactics.
You make it sound like pub bar football :lol:

There is a huge percentage of truth in that ideology, 9……. But the remaining percentage is what Harry Clarke does. IE, being awake enough to cover. But he’s not Harry Clarke Kent…… he gets caught out.
He’s way more a positive to the team than negative, (based purely on my limited viewing)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:01 pm

Here here Marko, Leif Davis gets away with it because of his phenomenal assist rate going forward but he's no better than Clarke defensively and gets caught out equally as much, he's a bit fortunate that we have not been punished so much down his side.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Just for clarity, I like Clarke. I’ve said before he was my favourite defender when we were in league one. He’s beginning to regain fitness and I’m sure he’ll continue to improve. I’d also like to comment on the resurgence of Edmundson. He may not have brilliant ball skills, but he’s a natural defender. If indeed Clarke is being pulled out of position due to others mishaps, then that needs to be addressed. That’s all I’m saying. Peace out!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:51 pm

The problem as I see it is this, we often start our games with a flat back four with with two central defenders and two full backs, however when our full backs are Harry Clarke and Keif Davis they are also both deployed as attacking wing backs. As WB’s they cover the full length of the pitch which leaves gapping holes at the back for our two central defenders to cover assisted by our defensive/holding midfielders. In reality it’s usually only one wing back pushing forward at a time but it means’s the other three defenders often get pulled out of position.
This is of course a deliberate tactic deployed by McKenna who chooses not to line up in the traditional way of having 3 central defenders with a wing back either side which would strengthen the defence. However by choosing to play with just two central defenders, this gives him an extra attacking midfielder on the pitch which improves our attacking play and increases the potential to score goals. This approach also invites the opposition to attack and leaves them exposed to our strength going forward. Clearly the philosophy is you score one or two then we’ll score two or three or however many it takes to win the game. It’s very risky but also exciting to watch and so far it’s worked well for us. Far better than the stuff we watched under Mick McCarthy & Co. The only problem is we have to accept you can’t have it both ways and sometimes defenders will get pulled out of position basically because they’re working one man down, it also calls on the two wide attacking midfielder players to track back and help defend meaning pretty much everyone on the pitch is putting in a huge shift. This latter demand is also something that often gets overlooked and we blame the defence, whereas perhaps we should be looking elsewhere if we’re looking to place blame.
Just a thought, but I think there might be some mileage in it.

I’ve just copied this thread to another topic headed ;
Apparently our defence is weak, no s….. Any further discussion/comment probably best placed there.