The Stones are a coming

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

NWS

The Stones are a coming

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:06 pm

The advantages of getting a non-league team in the cup is lower ticket prices. You're welcome.

The disadvantage is the egg on your face when we win 8) . Apologies :lol:

Looking forward to this. As expected, lots of interest down here.

Oh, and for the record, I've been there when we were crap (well crapper than now). The smallest crowd I stood in was 4 (that's 4 not 4,000) at Sutton Fire Brigade.

After following for years, nearly going bust a second time, forking pitches to get games on, standing at roped off pitches in places I'd never heard of, watching cup semi-finals on school pitches etc etc, I don't care if we get gubbed. Watching the boys in black and amber walk out to 4,500 roaring Maidstonians will be a great, great moment.

Look forward to seeing you tractor boys

NWS

Blue Wilf

Re: The Stones are a coming

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:33 pm

Welcome NWS! Its a shame you can't get the 4500 apparently coming here to watch you every week! I hope you have a good day out and that you have good memories of your trip to Portman Road. Sadly, I think you will leave disappointed with the result but be happy to have been drawn against a good team with friendly support. All the best (except for the match of course)...!

NWS

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:15 pm

Cheers.

Hopefully, we will come, make and enjoy ourselves in the right way. Despite being non-league we can still get silly behaviour and if we sell all our tickets there is no telling who the extra couple of thousand will be.

We play in Amber (anywhere between dark orange and yellow down the years) so we should add colour.

We normally have circa 2k at home so we are not complete nonentities.

See you in a week. I have nice memories of Ipswich, as I used to have relatives in Stowmarket.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 pm

When I first read that my heart leapt, Rolling Stones at PR!

You git NWS lol

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:14 pm

Great cup tie, will be a brilliant day out for their fans and I'm so glad they will be present in good numbers. Being given the upper Cobald stand is very good for them too.

It will be our B team out, but they usually are a good reflection of the way the first XI play and we do have good depth so we hope to move forward to the next round.

I'll be there, hopefully it will be a high attending game, remind me and I'll check next week how the sales are looking.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 am

thought something to see about Jagger, Wyman, Keith Richards etc but in any event it's about a guaranteed a victory for us since anyone can recall. They just won't win -can't win - bottom line and nothing more. Depends what team McKenna puts out and how much they really bother with it. Only complacency on our part should, or shall, keep the score to a minimum.

Recall back about 1991, 92, the opposition situated old Division Four. We got a promotion with Lyall to the new Premier League while Maidstone either fell into non-league, vanished or appeared to go out of business. Just disappeared off the map. Frederick Valentich couldn't have performed better.

Fans should have a good time for the trip to PR, highlight of the season for sure. Don't expect too much and keep a realism on it. Guess really they got nothing to lose. 31, 32 years back this would have been more of an event.

NWS

Post by NWS » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:00 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:22 pm
When I first read that my heart leapt, Rolling Stones at PR!

You git NWS lol
Apologies. Down the years I have had some misunderstandings about what I'm going to watch.

NWS

Post by NWS » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:19 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:01 am
thought something to see about Jagger, Wyman, Keith Richards etc but in any event it's about a guaranteed a victory for us since anyone can recall. They just won't win -can't win - bottom line and nothing more. Depends what team McKenna puts out and how much they really bother with it. Only complacency on our part should, or shall, keep the score to a minimum.

Recall back about 1991, 92, the opposition situated old Division Four. We got a promotion with Lyall to the new Premier League while Maidstone either fell into non-league, vanished or appeared to go out of business. Just disappeared off the map. Frederick Valentich couldn't have performed better.

Fans should have a good time for the trip to PR, highlight of the season for sure. Don't expect too much and keep a realism on it. Guess really they got nothing to lose. 31, 32 years back this would have been more of an event.
A potted history is that we went bust in 1992. A new team was reformed as Maidstone Wanderers. Initially crowds were 400 and we played behind our old London Road ground in the Kent County League division 4 or 5.

Personally, I wasn't a prolific fan back then (preferring to play and I was living away from Kent so didn't know we had reformed). I went back in 1996/97. We were division 2 of Kent County League. Despite MOTD repeating the old misconception that we were exiled for 25 years, we continued to play at London Road until the Mormon Church threw us off in 2001. This coincided with promotion to the Kent League. From 2001 to 2012 we played at Sittingbourne (two seasons at Ashford). We battled on to the Ryman league in 2006/7 and eventually to the National League South in 2014. In 2012, we opened our new Gallagher stadium (holds 4,000 so don't draw with us) Since then we've been up to National League but come down again. Last season was awful (3 points from the last 72 on offer). Our new manager is George Elokobi (who you will all know from Wolves days). He's doing OK but we are a functional side in a poor division.

So far our season ticket holders and lounge pass holders have snapped up their allocation of tickets, so approaching 2,000. Tickets go on general sale today and I expect them to go. You are highly likely to get the 4.8k Amber and blacks.

As for 'highlight of the season', I'd say possibly our best match ever (certainly the reformed side) only matched by away to high flying Watford in the 80s)

NWS

Post by NWS » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:45 am

Oh and famous ex players are David Sadler, Warren Barton and Chris Smalling (in 2006 I disagreed with our manager at a reserve match because I thought a young Mr Smalling should be in the first team).

Our clubs paths have crossed a bit recently, as Joe Pigott was a firm favourite a few seasons back

NWS

Post by NWS » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:12 pm

We've had big queues all morning (my friend joined it 2 hours ago and is still there). I think we can safely say you have a big away support coming next week

NWS

Post by NWS » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:57 pm

Sold out

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:04 pm

Absolutely fantastic, well done you guys, should be an incredible atmosphere

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am

Had a quick look, tickets have now been on general sale for 30mins (so season ticket holders and members have had their sale windows already).
Not too many left in the Magnus stand, just in the far end. The south and north stand have a good number still available though. Suspect it might end up in the low to mid 20's.

People should be pleased, its not easy getting a ticket for a league game this year - pretty much have to be a member.

NWS

Post by NWS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:36 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:34 am
Had a quick look, tickets have now been on general sale for 30mins (so season ticket holders and members have had their sale windows already).
Not too many left in the Magnus stand, just in the far end. The south and north stand have a good number still available though. Suspect it might end up in the low to mid 20's.

People should be pleased, its not easy getting a ticket for a league game this year - pretty much have to be a member.
Ha ha, I'd just been looking as well. Selling OK. Great news for us, as we get more dosh (and boy do these levels of income help the likes of us). We will obviously get gubbed. We have no recognised striker as they are either cup-tied or injured. However, whatever is happening on the pitch I just hope there are enough realistic non-leaguers amongst us to keep a noise going and boy, if you let us score one....

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:55 pm

NWS wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:36 pm
shabba wrote:

Ha ha, I'd just been looking as well. Selling OK. Great news for us, as we get more dosh (and boy do these levels of income help the likes of us). We will obviously get gubbed. We have no recognised striker as they are either cup-tied or injured. However, whatever is happening on the pitch I just hope there are enough realistic non-leaguers amongst us to keep a noise going and boy, if you let us score one....
Its fantastic that it generates money for the lower league clubs and its why I love the FA cup. Not sure you will get thumped, we also are massively lacking in the striker department (but do score from behind the striker), and your boys will be well up for it vs what I expect will be a fully rotated town side.

NWS

Post by NWS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:06 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:55 pm
NWS wrote:
shabba wrote:

Its fantastic that it generates money for the lower league clubs and its why I love the FA cup. Not sure you will get thumped, we also are massively lacking in the striker department (but do score from behind the striker), and your boys will be well up for it vs what I expect will be a fully rotated town side.
All change. We seem to have acquired a striker. You've had it now. I'm gonna rebook that Wembley Hotel :D :D

NWS

Post by NWS » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:25 pm

Last year I came to Anglia to watch us get dumped out the FA cup 1-0 at Needham Market. Lol...

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:51 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:55 pm
NWS wrote:
shabba wrote:

Agree Shabba, its great to see these clubs turn things around from being at there lowest point in their history's, and 99% because of the likes of NWS and real footy fans, so easy to follow the big profile clubs that look on the peoples FA Cup as a second rate cup, until the final. :astroll:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:18 pm

NWS wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:25 pm
Last year I came to Anglia to watch us get dumped out the FA cup 1-0 at Needham Market. Lol...
you're gonna Needham a five goal head start to start a chance of getting past us when the time arises. There's no absolutes in the game, all things are possible, but common sense dictates a Town victory by some margin. Years back under say Jewell, McCarthy, Lambert / Marcus Evans ownership etc when we didn't give a f*ck about cup progression Maidstone would have had a far better chance of making it but at least McKenna and the new staff take a dedicated interest in seeing the team go far and progression (now) is a tangible target.

Years back when in rochester would make the short trip down to Maidstone but usually for Leeds Castle to take in events held there. They got a (famous) maze inside the grounds but don't seem to remember much about it other than at the center you could find an underground grotto with blue cascade water and shell design and decoration. From an elevated position you could see the maze around you. From recollection seemed to be more fun making it to there than trying out the maze itself. Wasn't much of challenge but maybe memory's not what it used to be. Hampton Court would appear to be more of a visit.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm

Checked again today and alot of seats now gone, I'd say we are looking at a 25k+ crowd now. Out of interest, were the away tickets also £10?

Shame the price is low as it will impact the money Maidstone get, but still be a good earner for them, 10k x £10 = £100k.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:18 pm
They got a (famous) maze inside the grounds but don't seem to remember much about it other than at the center you could find an underground grotto with blue cascade water and shell design and decoration. From an elevated position you could see the maze around you. From recollection seemed to be more fun making it to there than trying out the maze itself.
You sure this really happened, Saint? Or was it actually in your lounge after a few joints and gummi bears?

NWS

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:35 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:16 pm
Checked again today and alot of seats now gone, I'd say we are looking at a 25k+ crowd now. Out of interest, were the away tickets also £10?

Shame the price is low as it will impact the money Maidstone get, but still be a good earner for them, 10k x £10 = £100k.
Yes. Our prices were the same.

There was a scramble for tickets down here with long queues on Saturday and many missing out. I suspect we could have sold another one or two thousand. We are non leaguers. Could have mixed us all in. I still want to know how 4,800 of us are gonna move to another bit of ground at half time :D :D

NWS

Post by NWS » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:43 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:18 pm
They got a (famous) maze inside the grounds but don't seem to remember much about it other than at the center you could find an underground grotto with blue cascade water and shell design and decoration. From an elevated position you could see the maze around you. From recollection seemed to be more fun making it to there than trying out the maze itself.
You sure this really happened, Saint? Or was it actually in your lounge after a few joints and gummi bears?
:D :D :D

It's so famous, I had to look it up and I grew up about 5 miles away from Leeds Castle

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:28 pm

27,000+ now :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 pm

Shall we lock this thread while NWS is out getting absolutely stonewalled reekin'?

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:23 pm
Shall we lock this thread while NWS is out getting absolutely stonewalled reekin'?
Haha good idea!!

Can’t wait to hear about his day, will have been epic. I said to my mate you’d be gutted if on a coach and they were trying to haul you away, you’d want to stay in PR all night! What a day for those fans.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm

They deserved it

NWS

Post by NWS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:31 pm
They deserved it
Thank you.

I'm obviously drunk as I write this but, quite simply, what a day for is!

We rode our luck and we took our chances when they came

I just want to say that the way we were treated from start to finish was superb!

Your club was great. Your fans were great. Even after the game we were wished the best of luck. No animosity.

I liked Ipswich anyway. After this I like them more.

I hope you get promotion because you are truly a great club.

All the best NWS

PS We will and try and smack whoever next round

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:30 am

Hope your hangover is a bad one NWS - you need to remember it! 😂 You rode your luck but out sung us and out scored us so hats off to you. Hope you get a big one in the next round and a few more people through the gate every week. Now bugger off and let us be depressed for a few days! 😂👍

NWS

Post by NWS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:09 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:30 am
Hope your hangover is a bad one NWS - you need to remember it! 😂 You rode your luck but out sung us and out scored us so hats off to you. Hope you get a big one in the next round and a few more people through the gate every week. Now bugger off and let us be depressed for a few days! 😂👍
Thank you. And yes it is. At 56 I even ended up in a nightclub with my shirt and scarf still on.

Good luck against Preston. You'll beat them, they're not as good as us :D