FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the 5th Round?

Ipswich Win
94%
Maidstone Win
6%
Replay
No votes

Total votes: 16

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:47 pm

Yes, the Tuanzebe dude. He is not a good player.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:50 pm

Along with a few others he's dross

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:53 pm

And please let nobody go on about Walton needing to come back in either, another who was bloody hopeless again

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Broadhead awful.,Taylor awful, Aluko awful them 3 stood out today Axel still to be convinced 😕

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Ah well, these things come in 3's....., Hibs pumped at Killie today and The Don's 49ers go to the SuperBowl. Great!

Advice.... stay off all rival newsboards. ...., it'll be horrendous.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:53 pm
And please let nobody go on about Walton needing to come back in either, another who was bloody hopeless again
I know BBC are raving about their second goal but I thought Walton came too far off his line too quickly. It was Headless chicken moment for me

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:59 pm

There are a few that do not deserve to play for us, defence total sh*te, Tuanzebe and Edmundson your gone boys. This could be a serious moral deflater and have an impact on our league performances.

Also I think KM, although I think he is a great bloke and manager has to take alof of the blame for this. Totally humiliated on national TV, well done all.

Best leave it there before I get really angry lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:59 pm

He started no attacks whatsoever either, just not good.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:01 pm

Well done, Maidstone!! You are officially dubbed “The Midget Killers”! (Sorry) :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:03 pm

Not that it is any consolation, at least it doesn't mean a potential away FA cup draw just before our long trip to Plymouth!
We are all hurting at the minute but it could well turn out to be a blessing in disguise, yes a bleedin' embarrassing and humiliating one, but a blessing nonetheless.

(Amazing what a nice cuppa and a few minutes of quiet reflection can do :lol: :lol: ! I was incandescent with rage at the final whistle, more through frustration than anything) p.s thank you Hallam for not taking me to task in my earlier comments.
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:05 pm

f**king embarrassment, just unacceptable. Our history against lower league in cup competition is sub standard but really, this reaches new lows. f*ck concentrate on the league, door to the Fifth Round was wide open and we blew it big time. Can't quite comprehend this bullshit.

Haven't seen the team put out but whatever they fielded should have got a job done. Just feel embarrassed, angry, dismay at such a wasted opportunity.

Elizabeth found fault in someone picking out a Maidstone victory before time. Suppose hindsight makes one philosophical but really, this is a damn mess. Catch up with game report and further reaction when time permits it but kind of wonder if it's really worth the trouble.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:31 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:29 pm
Lost this one hour before ko when the line up was announced! Ridiculously naive by McKenna in my view…. Momentum is everything and the longer the game went on the less likely we were to score.
Disagree with that. Its 6th tier v Championship. Momentum shouldn't even come into it. Its on the players shoulders.
Not sure I agree Liz. Totally embarrassing and humiliating but even the stats will tell you we should of won this by a cricket score. Talking of scoring, that's why we didn't win. Can't blame Kieran or at least I won't, blame the players who were poor. A few of them were powder puff yet we should still of won. Yes for me it was a pen on Edmondson and yes build up to there second goal I thought Sarmiento was fouled. Yet in my opinion kick the ball not try and lay it off or whatever.

3or 4 times hitting the woodwork, their keeper man of the match, We miss Hurst so much just for his movement and harassing opposition defenders. Thought Ref wasn't the greatest but still can only look at ourselves for this loss

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:08 pm

I think we’ve been teetering for some weeks tbh. Ever since Hirst got injured anyway. We’ve got no bloody strikers 🤷‍♀️

Broadhead demonstrated he’s not up to it . Why Jackson didn’t play god only knows . And Taylor, Aluko, Ball just aren’t there . Why play Aluko ? Why is he even registered in the squad? Our front line comprised of bloody wingers … what did we expect we’d be like in front of goal? 🤷‍♀️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:10 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:05 pm
f**king embarrassment, just unacceptable. Our history against lower league in cup competition is sub standard but really, this reaches new lows. f*ck concentrate on the league, door to the Fifth Round was wide open and we blew it big time. Can't quite comprehend this bullshit.

Haven't seen the team put out but whatever they fielded should have got a job done. Just feel embarrassed, angry, dismay at such a wasted opportunity.

Elizabeth found fault in someone picking out a Maidstone victory before time. Suppose hindsight makes one philosophical but really, this is a damn mess. Catch up with game report and further reaction when time permits it but kind of wonder if it's really worth the trouble.
I wasn’t expect us to put out a complete second string: had I known that I’d probably have ticked the Maidstone win box too !

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:11 pm

We did indeed get what we deserved today. All of the players already mentioned were awful.We seemed to try to want to pass the ball into the net. Its hard and hurts but I don't feel as bad as I would have if we had lost on Monday night. So we need to take it on the chin, park it and move on. Its a one off game and fair play to Maidstone. If we had defended like they did today when we played against Leeds etc, we would not have shipped as many goals as we did! Lessons to learn perhaps! I feel more stunned than disappointed really. A very bad day at the office but the season has a lot to bring so onwards we go.

One other point - I think re the atmosphere, we shot ourselves in the foot by giving them the whole of the upper Cobbold as it means our 'singers' get split up and so there is no atmosphere. Why not move those who do not sing (cobbold lower/Sir Alf rather than make it a free for all in terms of who gets a seat in the SBR - just a thought. Gonna start beer and wine early on a Saturday for me now and drown my sorrows... 🍷🙁

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:31 pm

Very noticeable that KMck has not done a after the match interview yet? Maybe some are getting home truths behind closed doors? Because they f**king need it. This is the worst result in his managerial career and i don't think he is to happy.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:57 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I know BBC are raving about their second goal but I thought Walton came too far off his line too quickly. It was Headless chicken moment for me
He did for the first as well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:45 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:34 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:57 pm
Bluemike wrote:
He did for the first as well.
Yes deffo, poor all round

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:56 pm

Only real reason is this bad is because of whom we played. Just hoping no knock on effects for next weekend and rest of the season

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:23 pm

Jst move on ..if anything this will only help to refocus..

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:51 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm
Broadhead awful.,Taylor awful, Aluko awful them 3 stood out today Axel still to be convinced 😕
Put Axel with a more solid Burgess and it's a better partnership Edmundson was pushing up a tad too far hence you get caught out, and that Buabo young lad certainly gets stuck in I was quite impressed with his short appearance as a sub, I thought Hutch and Sarmiento played well, They should have dragged Taylor off as he was poor and brought on Harness, I can see Aluko being moved on he was right off his game.

Well done Maidstone at least you will make more money in the next round on top of what you came away with today, hope it's a good draw out of the hat for you.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:22 pm

McKenna says he has no complaints about the player's efforts...hmm, is he talking about Ipswich or Maidstone? :wink:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:27 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:51 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 pm
Put Axel with a more solid Burgess and it's a better partnership Edmundson was pushing up a tad too far hence you get caught out, and that Buabo young lad certainly gets stuck in I was quite impressed with his short appearance as a sub, I thought Hutch and Sarmiento played well, They should have dragged Taylor off as he was poor and brought on Harness, I can see Aluko being moved on he was right off his game.

Well done Maidstone at least you will make more money in the next round on top of what you came away with today, hope it's a good draw out of the hat for you.
Let me help with that - Axel was sh*t as well...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:41 pm

Yes there were several players who were way below the level expected today but for me the manager has to also take some responsibility for this result. 10 changes from the team that started at Leicester was far too many imo. As for the decision to start Aluko, just didn’t make sense to me.
Totally pissed off about the result and don’t think I will be watching any more FA Cup ties this weekend as no doubt it will be repeated god knows how many times. As I speak it has just been shown on BBC news so it will probably be best to switch off the tv altogether.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:44 pm

That’s the first time I’ve witnessed a doubt in KMcK …. Suspect he’s had words behind closed doors but as he should in front of the cxberas he keeps it under wraps.

I’m expecting a big response at PNE now.

At some point we must sort this bloody defence out. It’s inadequacies have long been hidden by the teams ability to score goals, now that’s dried up courtesy of no primary striker to lead the line snd bring other forwards into the game, our defensive woes are there for all to see.

The opposition had TWO shots all game and scored from both. Defensive crap from us as per when we’re asked to defend …,

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:45 pm
Aluko, Taylor, Humphreys, Ball & Tuanzebe not good enough.

Broadhead could not lead the line in an under 10s match, clueless, tackles himself more than the opposition but I guess its ok to go into games without a recognised striker on the pitch, or in fact at the club, you can't do it at any level of football and if we do it at Preston we lose.

The way our defence parted for their goals was unacceptable really, those players should be beating non league in their sleep.
Fully agree re aforementioned players with Mike.

Tuanzebe... if the rumours about Cardiff interest are true then please go. A few years ago he was able to keep Mbappe quiet during Man Utd - PSG game and now he is declined. From Old Trafford to not being interested/focused. Please go !

Humphreys - go out on loan.

Aluko and Ball are going to sit out their contracts between now and May. Aluko...a year ago he was electric in the FA Cup against Burnley, Today though he is fat and slow.

Taylor and Broadhead - major disappointments today.

-----

This is an utter humiliation. I thought it would never ever be as bad as Barrow couple of years ago.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:01 pm

Jeez - I saw this very differently (was at the game), it was simply one of this days where everything went right for them and nothing for us. 2 attempts 2 goals vs 38.

Yes we needed to be more clinical but I will absolutely not slate a single one of the players today. The effort was there, we kept going, kept creating, the effort was there and that is all you can ask.

It makes me angry when many on here and calling it ‘dross’
And embarrassing, as if we didn’t turn up. Play that game again 100 times with the same performance level and we’d win 98.

Honestly I’d rather go out having given it a real go and been unlucky than not having turned up, I really don’t think there was any lack of effort.

Calling out players who have done well as being useless it’s way too harsh, it’s a very difficult thing to break down a side so deep and naturally leaves us a little open, it’s the beauty of football today and good for those Maidstone fans to have their day in the sun, they sung their hearts out.

People are getting a bit entitled IMO, this club is light years ahead of where we were a few years ago, and this was purely a very unlucky result - nothing more.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:02 pm

Wow. I think there’s a bit of overreaction here. I’ll put my views here and go into hiding. I agree with Shabba’s views above.
1. We’ve made similar changes before and been fine. That team should have been good enough today so I don’t blame the manager for the team he chose.
2. In the first 15-20 minutes we were unlucky, hitting the post more than once. We could have been at least 3 up before they scored, we played them off the park. It wasn’t bad finishing, just bad luck up to that point.
3. We conceded two goals, one I think from our corner, and one when we lost possession in midfield to what looked like a blatant foul to me. The defence in both cases was all over the place, largely because we were in possession. To blame the keeper for either is, in my humble opinion, absurd.
4. After the first 20-30 minutes, Maidstone’s 10 men behind the ball defended much better. We were less effective as we wanted to walk it in, but all credit to Maidstone who defended well from that point and took their only 2 chances; we failed to do either.
5. Regarding individuals, I agree with some comments. Aluko’s performance reminded me of his first ever game for us, where he was equally poor. He’s getting on and not match fit. He has vision but I think his time as a player has come to an end. Taylor has always flattered to deceive, I’ve yet to see anything in him. Hutchinson has skill but there is rarely if ever an end product. He looked dangerous first half but kept shooting from distance; when he gets down the line there are rarely any decent crosses.
6. If I have any criticism of the starting line up, it isn’t about individuals but about square pegs in round holes. Ball and Humphries aren’t wing backs, Broadhead isn’t a striker. Those three show where we are lightest regarding cover as a squad.
7. Our finishing today wasn’t great, particularly second half. However, on another day we would have won. I think we are a team lacking confidence in front of goal despite all the shots. There were times when we kept passing instead of hitting it - a sign of that lack of confidence. All credit to Maidstone for taking their chances, but let’s keep it in perspective.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:08 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:02 pm

6. If I have any criticism of the starting line up, it isn’t about individuals but about square pegs in round holes. Ball and Humphries aren’t wing backs, Broadhead isn’t a striker. Those three show where we are lightest regarding cover as a squad.
Oh dear, haven't heard that phrase in a while... :shock: