FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the 5th Round?

Ipswich Win
94%
Maidstone Win
6%
Replay
No votes

Total votes: 16

Mach_Polish_Blue

Re: FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:38 pm

Seen today the number of comments on social media that it was as embarrassing as Lincoln.

It wasn't.

Todays result will hurt McKenna and he won't forget it. Hopefully the players will get some extra sessions. Particularly those who were extremely poor today (Tuanzebe, Ball, Aluko, Taylor, Broadhead).

Lincoln though was the different circumstances. The team looked completely clueless on the pitch and m***thy didn't give a flying fook at all. He even said after the game that if the club wanted to sack him then do it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:05 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:31 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:29 pm
Lost this one hour before ko when the line up was announced! Ridiculously naive by McKenna in my view…. Momentum is everything and the longer the game went on the less likely we were to score.
Disagree with that. Its 6th tier v Championship. Momentum shouldn't even come into it. Its on the players shoulders.
Not sure I agree Liz. Totally embarrassing and humiliating but even the stats will tell you we should of won this by a cricket score. Talking of scoring, that's why we didn't win. Can't blame Kieran or at least I won't, blame the players who were poor. A few of them were powder puff yet we should still of won. Yes for me it was a pen on Edmondson and yes build up to there second goal I thought Sarmiento was fouled. Yet in my opinion kick the ball not try and lay it off or whatever.

3or 4 times hitting the woodwork, their keeper man of the match, We miss Hurst so much just for his movement and harassing opposition defenders. Thought Ref wasn't the greatest but still can only look at ourselves for this loss
Good sensible post instead of the usual pile on
Terrible result for the club but the key thing is reaction.
Forget it and move on. Win the next league game and use it as motivation for rest of the season
Cup football is amazing for these types of results which is why fans love it so much.
I remember 10 years or so back St Mirren losing 7-0 to Celtic at Parkhead, we beat them the following week a home in the cup 1-0 !!!!

Hyper0blue

Post by Hyper0blue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:24 pm

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:38 pm
Seen today the number of comments on social media that it was as embarrassing as Lincoln.

It wasn't.

Todays result will hurt McKenna and he won't forget it. Hopefully the players will get some extra sessions. Particularly those who were extremely poor today (Tuanzebe, Ball, Aluko, Taylor, Broadhead).

Lincoln though was the different circumstances. The team looked completely clueless on the pitch and m***thy didn't give a flying fook at all. He even said after the game that if the club wanted to sack him then do it.
It was a lot worse losing to home to a bunch of part timers than it was losing to Lincoln.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:11 pm
Forget it and move on. Win the next league game and use it as motivation for rest of the season
Cup football is amazing for these types of results which is why fans love it so much.
I remember 10 years or so back St Mirren losing 7-0 to Celtic at Parkhead, we beat them the following week a home in the cup 1-0 !!!!
I really cannot see the relevance of this quote to the thread, it's like comparing duck-billed platypi to elephants.

I'm too angry at this result to say much, apart from that everyone at ITFC from the CEO down to the bog cleaners should be thoroughly ashamed of what happened.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:29 pm

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:41 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm
valleyroad wrote:
I really cannot see the relevance of this quote to the thread, it's like comparing duck-billed platypi to elephants.

I'm too angry at this result to say much, apart from that everyone at ITFC from the CEO down to the bog cleaners should be thoroughly ashamed of what happened.
Strongly disagree - they should be disappointed but they tried. So therefore ashamed is the wrong word.

I’ll never moan at my team at work, or my kids, or anyone if they tried and it just didn’t work out.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 pm

Have just watched this as had this recorded. This is 100% on McKenna, absolute embarrassment for the club.

Yes on another day we'd have scored twice in the first 10 minutes and walked away with it. BUT and is a huge f**king BUT!!!!! WHY PUT OUT SUCH A WEAKENED SIDE WHEN YOU HAVE A WEEK OFF BEFORE AND AFTER THE MATCH AND THE TEAM IS DESPERATE FOR A BIG WIN AND SOME MOMENTUM?!!

Caps lock off, but what an absolute joke, doesn matter if the first team would have done better or worse, so embarrassed that we underestimated the opposition, we deserved to be knocked out for that.

And the real harm in all this is mending the morale and confidence hit after you lose at home to them. Joke McKenna, that's on you tonight mate, pathetic.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:51 pm

Good honest words from Morsy. He and the team know things went against them, they know what they need to work on, and they'll get on with it knowing that the vast majority of the fanbase will be backing them, ....., and the others who were using words like "ashamed" a year ago after the Bristol Rovers game will also tag along on the journey as well. All part of the job.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:46 pm
Have just watched this as had this recorded. This is 100% on McKenna, absolute embarrassment for the club.

Yes on another day we'd have scored twice in the first 10 minutes and walked away with it. BUT and is a huge f**king BUT!!!!! WHY PUT OUT SUCH A WEAKENED SIDE WHEN YOU HAVE A WEEK OFF BEFORE AND AFTER THE MATCH AND THE TEAM IS DESPERATE FOR A BIG WIN AND SOME MOMENTUM?!!

Caps lock off, but what an absolute joke, doesn matter if the first team would have done better or worse, so embarrassed that we underestimated the opposition, we deserved to be knocked out for that.

And the real harm in all this is mending the morale and confidence hit after you lose at home to them. Joke McKenna, that's on you tonight mate, pathetic.
Nope down to players 100%.
Ipswich academy side could probably beat Maidstone.
Bigger picture is league a d no injuries to key players.
Most important thing is reaction and motivation for rest of the season, that is on McKenna
100% confident he will get that .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 pm

Ricco wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll log on on Tuesday or something and say "was really angry"

Totally out of character , Ricco. Especially from someone who has "goalkeeper" knowledge. The guy was joint MOTM.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 pm

rossi wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

Such a stupid post Rossi, why on earth should the bog cleaners be ashamed ? .. a bit of perspective required maybe ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:59 pm

rossi wrote:
valleyroad wrote:

I love your vendetta against me these days, says everything about you.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:57 pm
Ricco wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You'll log on on Tuesday or something and say "was really angry"

Totally out of character , Ricco. Especially from someone who has "goalkeeper" knowledge. The guy was joint MOTM.
Should I have taken a breather first?? :lol: :lol:

I'll guess what I'm saying is I'm actually not that angry with the game, players or what happened, but I think it was such an opportunity to put out the first team and get some confidence and momentum going.

If it was a midweek game fine, but we've got a week off now to recover, so why such a confused mess of a lineup? Maybe it's harsh and the team wasn't that weak, but it flipping felt like it. It wasn't a balanced cohesive team, it was just like McKenna had sneezed and chucked a bunch of names at the team sheet in a random order.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:04 pm

And oh for the love off all that is holy. Why not just park a defender on the 18 yard box all game, you should never be hit with a counter like that :lol:

It's all a bit comical really.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 pm

Ricco, you’re alright mate! I was pissing fire earlier today, but really had to try hard not to explode like I usually do haha! We’ll be ok. KM will bring us back…I honestly believe that…no I mean I really honestly believe that…I think. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 pm

I’m just pleased I chose to miss the game today and played golf instead in our club Burns Competition. at least I was in the winners enclosure and enjoyed an excellent lunch whereas had I chosen to watch the footie instead I guess I’d have been as angry as some of you guys.
However having just watched all 98 mins in full knowledge of the final outcome it wasn’t as bad as I expected as I thought we were actually very unlucky not to have won by a comfortable margin.
Yes we could criticise McKenna for making too many changes but surely given the opposition play in the 6th tier of English football why shouldn’t he reasonably expect any team from his 25 man squad to be good enough to secure a win, after all any of this team could be called on at any time to compete at Championship level.
If you look at the stats the players today absolutely battered Maidstone and normally 78% possession, 38 shots 13 on target and 11 corners would comfortably have beat 24% possession, 2 shots, 2 on target and 0 corners. That guys was nothing more than a freak result which may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Nobody got injured, no replay is necessary and the biggest loss was the £225k prize money and a dent to our pride. Had we won the match the chances are we’d get knocked out in the next round and have one of two more additional games to navigate our way through.
Yes I’m pissed off we’ve lost, but hey guys we’ve got far more important games ahead of us and hopefully today’s fiasco will soo be forgotten.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:24 pm
I’m just pleased I chose to miss the game today and played golf instead in our club Burns Competition. at least I was in the winners enclosure and enjoyed an excellent lunch whereas had I chosen to watch the footie instead I guess I’d have been as angry as some of you guys.
However having just watched all 98 mins in full knowledge of the final outcome it wasn’t as bad as I expected as I thought we were actually very unlucky not to have won by a comfortable margin.
Yes we could criticise McKenna for making too many changes but surely given the opposition play in the 6th tier of English football why shouldn’t he reasonably expect any team from his 25 man squad to be good enough to secure a win, after all any of this team could be called on at any time to compete at Championship level.
If you look at the stats the players today absolutely battered Maidstone and normally 78% possession, 38 shots 13 on target and 11 corners would comfortably have beat 24% possession, 2 shots, 2 on target and 0 corners. That guys was nothing more than a freak result which may well turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Nobody got injured, no replay is necessary and the biggest loss was the £225k prize money and a dent to our pride. Had we won the match the chances are we’d get knocked out in the next round and have one of two more additional games to navigate our way through.
Yes I’m pissed off we’ve lost, but hey guys we’ve got far more important games ahead of us and hopefully today’s fiasco will soo be forgotten.
100% agree

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:35 pm

Oh so you had a good round of golf too, did ya Valley? :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:40 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:22 pm
Ricco, you’re alright mate! I was pissing fire earlier today, but really had to try hard not to explode like I usually do haha! We’ll be ok. KM will bring us back…I honestly believe that…no I mean I really honestly believe that…I think. :lol:
I don't remember you exploding, but if you sometimes do, maybe we switched roles today :lol:

I dont usually get too emotional about single results, I just don't see how this doesn't affect confidence in the squad... quite badly. That's why I think it's so important, we have some vital games coming up where we need to knock quite a few for 3pts otherwise we're saying hello to the playoffs. Being all doom and gloom, I see the playoffs as a lottery that you lose more often than you win, and I think we finish mid division next season if we don't go up and there's a strong chance we lose McKenna. That's why it feels so important to me, I can very easily be wrong about all of that, and I hope I am!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm

I blame Ladapo, oh wait

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:44 pm

Tell you what, it could be an apocalyptic disaster…nuclear bombs bursting…atmospheric ash causing severe climate change…food shortages…the earth on fire…but…if Charny gets in a round of golf I think we’ll be ok. :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:35 pm
Oh so you had a good round of golf too, did ya Valley? :lol:
🤣🤣

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:50 pm

Must have been a very good post-golf lunch, Charney!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:57 pm

herforder wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:50 pm
Must have been a very good post-golf lunch, Charney!
To be fair it was mate. If it hadn’t been I’d probably have been as pissed off as everyone else but winning 3rd prize followed by a few beers, whiskey to toast the haggis and a bottle of red, life was very different. 👍💙🍷🤣

3 points at Deepdale next Saturday and we’ll all move on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm
I blame Ladapo, oh wait
No, Charlton fans are doing that tonight, Mike. :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:41 pm
I blame Ladapo, oh wait
No, Charlton fans are doing that tonight, Mike. :D
He was subbed in the 78th minute lol!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm

Subbed or snubbed???😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm

So should all of ours been

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:22 pm

Had to go look at the bbc match comments.

3 attempts missed
2 attempts saved
2 times offside.

He had no different a day i suppose than an Ipswich striker. Alrhough, could argue he had a better day. Ipswich players were playing Conference South players.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:21 pm
So should all of ours been
Yep