FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the 5th Round?

Ipswich Win
94%
Maidstone Win
6%
Replay
No votes

Total votes: 16

Blue Wilf

Re: FAC Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Maidstone United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:59 am
Like you Wilf I am analysing it again after a sleep and I guess I have mixed emotions too. I think the team selected was every bit strong enough to have won it, thinking back it should have been 3-0 inside 10 minutes, they got lucky. Numerous chances came and went but it was one of those days, maybe McKenna didn't get as much wrong as I first thought.

If however any good is to come from this we must learn from it, by that I mean players like Aluko need removing from the squad, just offers zilch, Humphreys probably needs a season away, Walton not the player some think he is, Two Maidstone shots and both went in !!! Tuanzebe not good enough, he's here for a reason, no other bugger wants him !! Broadhead is not and never will be a striker and Taylor? Well wtf he offers god only knows.

Learn from it, act on it and I can let yesterday go, I'm more jarred about the striker issue, that I'm struggling with but bored of it now.
Agree on all of those players, Mike. The striker thing (or lack of it) is killing us at the moment - just hope this week is the week! Hallam has also berated our defensive 'qualities' for months and rightly as they were again exposed yesterday. I guess we are still very much a work in progress. The premier league feels a long way away still (not that that makes me 100% unhappy if you refer to my previous posts!)... lets just see where the season takes us and enjoy the ride - good, bad and awful (ie yesterday).

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:10 am

I’ve slept on it and still feel as pissed off as I did walking out of the ground yesterday. As far as I’m concerned McKenna got the team selection completely wrong yesterday. There seems to be a feeling amongst some of our fan base that he never gets things wrong but like every manager sometimes he does.
Moving onto Preston on Saturday we certainly need a reaction from yesterday but whether we get one is another matter.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:29 am

Wouldn't it be nice for Newport to beat Man Utd today and detract things a little from our unfortunate demise yesterday.

Even better, Maidstone then get a home draw to Newport and make it through to the quarter finals.

Beauty of the FA cup, you just never know, and even though we lost yesterday you can never rule out an underdog as they can give you a huge bite on your arse when you don't expect it!

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:44 am

Yesterday was one of those freak days that happen over the seasons. There are occasions when a whole bunch of circumstances, both on and off the pitch, conspire to massively defy the odds and leave Goliath totally embarrassed by David! Yesterday, it was sort of in the air, pre-determined and nothing we could do was going to change the outcome. Swallow it, learn from it and move on is about all we can do. It must not be allowed to infect the club, team and individuals with serious doubts or loss of belief and confidence. Certainly a situation where KM has to earn his corn.

What is going to be a real pain is the annual media circus when the FA Cup comes around! Mind you, there’s no such thing as bad publicity; and because ITFC is regarded as a friendly, widely respected club, history won’t be too harsh on us.

NWS

Post by NWS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:05 am

I will raise my head above the parapet (although I can't raise my head at all in reality, im so hungover) to say 'what a day for little ol' us'! Reynolds has never scored and doesn't usually look like scoring and then he does that at Portman Road. Those last three words sum it up for me. AT PORTMAN ROAD. We just won AT PORTMAN ROAD.

Before the game I walked round the ground looking at the history. I'm older so remember Mick Mills, Roger Osborn, Paul Cooper, Arnold Muhren, Paul Mariner etc etc. Bobby Robson is one of the true greats. I was emotional thinking little ol' Maidstone were even playing there. When we scored it was dreamland. When we scored again it was even better. When we won...well! I accused your burger van of drugging me because of what I had just watched!

I have a lot of love for Ipswich Town after yesterday. The build up to the game, the way we were treated was truly classy. Afterwards, your fans were still chatty and friendly and wished us well. You really are a great club and great fans. Not just because we won but because you are.

The game. Well...as has been said. We should have been buried within 15 minutes. A mixture of poor finishing, great goalkeeping and a massive slice of luck kept us in it. When we got our chances we took them.

I know it will be embarrassing for Ipswich but hopefully you will bounce back against Preston and get your promotion. I hope so. You deserve it.

Ive followed Maidstone in the league, watched us go bust, reform, the Kent County League, the Kent League, the isthmian league, national south and national league then down again, so please just allow me a little gloat...but I'm am going to watched the draw today and we are in the 5th round! It's dream central! It doesn't get better. We just won AT PORTMAN ROAD!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:27 am

Couldn't be happier for you, it might just do us a massive favour.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:49 am

MANY congratulations NWS. 🥳 please enjoy this moment: you deserved it.

I’m sure just about every Town fan will be willing you on to win your next match snd if not that to at least get one of the giants away from home for that big pay day.

We will lick our wounds and as Mike says it might give us the jolt we needed… apart from a couple of recognised strikers which we currently have none.

Up The Stones 👍

And always UPPATOWEN 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:53 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:10 am
I’ve slept on it and still feel as pissed off as I did walking out of the ground yesterday. As far as I’m concerned McKenna got the team selection completely wrong yesterday. There seems to be a feeling amongst some of our fan base that he never gets things wrong but like every manager sometimes he does.
Moving onto Preston on Saturday we certainly need a reaction from yesterday but whether we get one is another matter.
100% correct, this is what annoys me because accepting everything he does as ok or correct causes more damage than criticism when things are wrong. He's a fantastic manager, going to be a great one, but as with the tinkering pre Bristol Rovers, he still has things to learn from. I know its broken record syndrome but the striker situation is currently a monumental f*ck up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:12 pm

Shock, amazement, I got absolutely lambasted on twtd for suggesting McKenna was naive in how we approached the Leeds away game (attacking at will), instead of taking a slightly more cautious approach for once, and yesterday fur saying that a complete change of team was ridiculously naive. But I also stated we do have the best young manager / coach in the country. But they’re a complete bunch of arse holes on there. EVERY post I post is significantly down arrowed and I’m am targeted for abuse by a fair few in there now. There’s definitely a clique operating on there. You can’t have a conversation.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:43 pm

Last point from me on this. It was a SIXTH tier team. The team fielded, who all know each other, were out there to comfortably do a job. And they didn’t.
Had any of the team that are “supposed” to be getting Town to the EPL had started, (and won) but one or two injuries…… then he’s hauled over the coals for doing that against a SIXTH tier team. Its a no win situation for a manager. The guy expected those players to do a job, and if not for stinking luck, we’d all be sitting here praising the second string.
Don’t change tte goalposts on the manager every single time a result goes wrong for Gods Sake!
That is what is more damaging. That is what filters out into the crowd and manifests in the heads of twats who have no brain cell to reign it in. Before you know it, you’ve got booing. Hibs would still have Jack Ross if it wasnt for the boo-boys……. Its been horrendous since.
Save the “McKenna is naive” chat until he morphs into Paul Lambert……. Then go for it with conviction.

For me, i dont like the atmosphere around here. Get the feeling people have got the club under the microscope leading into the most crucial part of the season. Looking for fk ups. Its not a good feel.

Yesterday, 6th tier & bad luck. Thats it. Wouldve happened to every single one of you had you been in the seat that is strangely fast becoming “the hot seat” 🤦‍♂️

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:43 pm
Last point from me on this. It was a SIXTH tier team. The team fielded, who all know each other, were out there to comfortably do a job. And they didn’t.
Had any of the team that are “supposed” to be getting Town to the EPL had started, (and won) but one or two injuries…… then he’s hauled over the coals for doing that against a SIXTH tier team. Its a no win situation for a manager. The guy expected those players to do a job, and if not for stinking luck, we’d all be sitting here praising the second string.
Don’t change tte goalposts on the manager every single time a result goes wrong for Gods Sake!
That is what is more damaging. That is what filters out into the crowd and manifests in the heads of twats who have no brain cell to reign it in. Before you know it, you’ve got booing. Hibs would still have Jack Ross if it wasnt for the boo-boys……. Its been horrendous since.
Save the “McKenna is naive” chat until he morphs into Paul Lambert……. Then go for it with conviction.

For me, i dont like the atmosphere around here. Get the feeling people have got the club under the microscope leading into the most crucial part of the season. Looking for fk ups. Its not a good feel.

Yesterday, 6th tier & bad luck. Thats it. Wouldve happened to every single one of you had you been in the seat that is strangely fast becoming “the hot seat” 🤦‍♂️
That’s exactly how I see it. In the second half our shooting was poor. I think we panicked. But in the first half hour we were unlucky not to be 3-0 up. It wasn’t missed chances, just bad luck. Had any one of those gone in we would have won comfortably. And everyone would be praising McKenna for not risking first team players.
Had we dominated a league match like that and lost, we would have said how well we played, how unlucky we were. Forget who we were playing, it was just one of those days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:01 pm

So throwing caution to the wind at Leeds and attacking in our usual manner, getting ripped a new one on the counter attack ( which btw we ALL knew how they did that to us at PR) was not a naive tactic to repeat?

McKenna is an outstanding coach but he’s a novice manager. What’s wrong in stating that was naive? Because ii bloody well was !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:01 pm
McKenna is an outstanding coach but he’s a novice manager. What’s wrong in stating that was naive? Because ii bloody well was !
Ok, nae bother 👍 Hopefully fans are not looking for “the naive that didnt exist v the stones” vs PNE……. Because thats what will create unrest.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:12 pm
Shock, amazement, I got absolutely lambasted on twtd for suggesting McKenna was naive in how we approached the Leeds away game (attacking at will), instead of taking a slightly more cautious approach for once, and yesterday fur saying that a complete change of team was ridiculously naive. But I also stated we do have the best young manager / coach in the country. But they’re a complete bunch of arse holes on there. EVERY post I post is significantly down arrowed and I’m am targeted for abuse by a fair few in there now. There’s definitely a clique operating on there. You can’t have a conversation.
Don’t let ‘em get you HB; if nothing else keep posting on that site just to annoy! I said in a previous post that opinions are like a**e holes - everybody’s got one. What you’ve experienced is a bunch of opinions spewing out of a**e holes! Chin up😀

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:09 pm

Can i just add…….. i thought most of you chose the team……. With echoes of , “oh i only got one wrong”…… “only 2 wrong” ……. Etc etc etc.

So , 🤷‍♂️……. You all wouldve lost as well you naive gits!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:16 pm

lol that’s true …. Except I didn’t pick a team b4 the game. Can honestly say hand in heart I’d never have made 10 changes.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:17 pm

herforder wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:07 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:12 pm
Don’t let ‘em get you HB; if nothing else keep posting on that site just to annoy! I said in a previous post that opinions are like a**e holes - everybody’s got one. What you’ve experienced is a bunch of opinions spewing out of a**e holes! Chin up😀
lol I am kinda doing that s bit now . Post n run as I call it , as never go back to see the undoubted response I’ll get . Balls to em all lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:23 pm

KMcK : “Ok George, get stripped. You’re playing.

GE : “Really? But what if the ball comes over and i have a clear view of it for about 2 seconds, the defence parts, i can easily make sweet contact, but then i drop my head like a f**king pussy and it skites of my napper towards the corner flag?”

KMcK : “That won’t happen. You haven’t got a 50 pence head have you? Now go out there and dont let me down.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Well my team had Woolfenden, Travis, Harness and Jackson in it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:39 pm

Aluko for Jackson definitely was a head scratcher. I picked Jackson for first scorer.

I reckon the team would've been stronger if it had’ve been even League two opposition. But v a team who picked up 1 point from 9 vs Braintree, Slough and Havant & Waterlooville……. Just no other explanation other than bad luck. Aluko let himself down. He should’ve been bursting a gut for a good showing. But he looked a tad lost. Should Kieron have known that he’d be rusty v Maidstone? I dunno like.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:47 pm

One more comment from me - and I know its 'water under the bridge' and it 'evens out over the season' etc etc but that was supposedly a Prem ref and he missed 2 easy decisions that change the game for me - foul/pull back on Sarmiento before they scored and Edmundson pen shout - having looked at it 3 or 4 times I think its the strongest pen shout we have had in the past 3 seasons! Oh and GE got booked for diving!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Tbh hindsight is a wonderful thing and the hurt from yesterday can cloud judgement, I watched the game again this morning and how we didn’t win that beggars belief.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:48 pm

And yes, deffo foul and deffo penalty

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:53 pm

100% ….. posted at HT yesterday, should be 3 or 4-0 up.

Blue Wilf …… how he missed that JS shirt pull is beyond belief…..

But, after watching MOTD last night…… wow, the ref was bang on the money with Edmundsons dive. How he “saw” that and didnt “see” the shirt pull is anyones guess.

I posted “WRONG REF”… :lol: but i was WRONG!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:48 pm
Tbh hindsight is a wonderful thing and the hurt from yesterday can cloud judgement, I watched the game again this morning and how we didn’t win that beggars belief.
You watched it again Wow very brave I'm changing channels when any news comes on about the game, a new day and onwards and upwards COYB.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:43 pm

Spot on Marko.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:53 pm
100% ….. posted at HT yesterday, should be 3 or 4-0 up.

Blue Wilf …… how he missed that JS shirt pull is beyond belief…..

But, after watching MOTD last night…… wow, the ref was bang on the money with Edmundsons dive. How he “saw” that and didnt “see” the shirt pull is anyones guess.

I posted “WRONG REF”… :lol: but i was WRONG!
On shirt pull, angles Marko, that what refereeing is all about. Positioning and getting your angles right. Sometimes you just can't physically get ther due to speed of play or a player or 2 blocks your view

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:09 pm
Can i just add…….. i thought most of you chose the team……. With echoes of , “oh i only got one wrong”…… “only 2 wrong” ……. Etc etc etc.

I was 2nd guessing KMck's team with the 2 wrong comment. I personally would of started with Burns, Chaplin, harness and Travis and try and get the game won b4 bringing on Morsey, Hutchinson, sarmiento and Buabo when there tiring..

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:19 pm

xG: 3.58-0.85

I appreciate XG is not for everyone, but it’s a good measure of what a score could have been based on the quality of chances for each team.

So really the score would have more likely been 4-1 if you go on the XG..

Imo Man Utd are doing worse than us, they are winning but Newport have had ALOT more chances than Maidstone did.

Fine margins, if one of those shots that hit the post in first ten mins goes it that could have been a 5-0 day.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:23 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:55 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:09 pm

I was 2nd guessing KMck's team with the 2 wrong comment. I personally would of started with Burns, Chaplin, harness and Travis and try and get the game won b4 bringing on Morsey, Hutchinson, sarmiento and Buabo when there tiring..
Nope Mendip, not buying it…….. like the old Football bet thread…… need to get your proper selections in pre kick-off……. none of this “could of” “would of” shyte!! :lol: