Al-Hamadi

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Re: Al-Hamadi

Post by trimleyblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:00 pm

herforder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:52 pm
Underground, overground
Wherever you chose,
Ali’s stopped wombling
‘Cos now he’s turned blue.

:D
How about

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
Ali’s stopped wombling
‘Cos he’s joined the Blues

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:10 pm

Or…..

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
Ali’s stopped womb a ling
‘Cos he’s now a Blue

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:11 pm

trimleyblue wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:00 pm
herforder wrote:
Underground, overground
Wherever you chose,
Ali’s stopped wombling

How about

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
Ali’s stopped wombling

:lol: Yes....., I suppose Heforders womble has dropped dead with those lyrics. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:10 pm
Or…..

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
‘Cos he’s now a Blue
Surely its "Wom ba Ling"

Womb a ling is like a company who make phones for unborn babies?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:18 pm

So what kind of striker have we got ourselves here guys n gels?

Hirst : A player in the mold of Hitst, who runs the CB’s ragged, and creates space for the other forwards , but who scores more goals than Hirst?

Jackson: A player who like Jacko, has pace and can run directly at defenders, or play on the shoulder , but has a natural ability to put the ball in the net …

Ladapo : A player like Freddie who looks to be a fox in the box, but is quicker and can operate outside of the box too….

None of the above ; he’s his own man and will bring his own style to the team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:19 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:13 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:10 pm
Or…..

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
‘Cos he’s now a Blue
Surely its "Wom ba Ling"

Womb a ling is like a company who make phones for unborn babies?

lol yer, I reckon you’re right there marko !

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:20 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:58 pm
I sure hope I’m wrong on Al-Hamadi as I was hoping it was nothing more than speculation as the jump from League 2 to the Championship is huge. I also still have in the back of my mind Paul Hirst in 2018 bringing in top League 2 players and we all know what happened next. Yes Al-Hamadi maybe one for the future, but if we’re really focussed on promotion to the Premier League we need someone who we know can perform at top Championship level now and contribute to that objective and be better than what we already have/had.
Valid comment. I’d imagine/hope that we’d get a more experienced striker on loan, and the two can do battle for minutes

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:49 pm

I don’t have my glasses on, but did Hallam say Jackson’s natural ability to put the ball in the net? :shock: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:53 pm

Al Hamadi sounds like it could be an Iraqi exclamation: “Al Hamadi! I’ve burnt the roast!” :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:01 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:49 pm
I don’t have my glasses on, but did Hallam say Jackson’s natural ability to put the ball in the net? :shock: :lol:
No, I said that Al- Hamadi is quick like Jackson but has the ability to put the ball in the net more naturally… ( unlike Jackson)..
the key word is the “BUT”.. :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:48 pm

If we are starting on the singing chants in regards to Wombles then i've got a real crap......sorry beauty........

Cholet - cholet, cholet -cholet!!
Ali's hot! hot! hot!

Shall I get my coat?

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:11 pm
trimleyblue wrote:
herforder wrote:
Underground, overground
Wherever you chose,
Ali’s stopped wombling

How about

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
Ali’s stopped wombling

:lol: Yes....., I suppose Heforders womble has dropped dead with those lyrics. :lol:

Splendid! Original last line was “‘ COS NOW HE’S TRUE BLUE”. Not sure where ‘turned blue’ came from :astroll: :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:58 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:20 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I sure hope I’m wrong on Al-Hamadi as I was hoping it was nothing more than speculation as the jump from League 2 to the Championship is huge. I also still have in the back of my mind Paul Hirst in 2018 bringing in top League 2 players and we all know what happened next. Yes Al-Hamadi maybe one for the future, but if we’re really focussed on promotion to the Premier League we need someone who we know can perform at top Championship level now and contribute to that objective and be better than what we already have/had.
Valid comment. I’d imagine/hope that we’d get a more experienced striker on loan, and the two can do battle for minutes
To be honest Shabba, I’d written and saved my post this morning before we’d signed him and tweaked it a bit to make sense before I posted it, but for some reason forgot why I saved it and posted it before it was finished. What I was intending to add was along the following lines;

Whilst I have my concerns there are lots about this player I like, eg; his pedigree, his age, the fact he knows where to find the back of the net and has goals to prove it and has played International football at a higher level than League 2.
I would have preferred he be one of two strikers signed with the other being at the same or similar level as Jay Standfield currently on loan to Birmingham City. Now that really would be the real deal.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:01 pm

herforder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:58 pm
marko69 wrote:
trimleyblue wrote:

How about

Underground, overground
Wherever you choose,
Ali’s stopped wombling

Splendid! Original last line was “‘ COS NOW HE’S TRUE BLUE”. Not sure where ‘turned blue’ came from :astroll: :)
:lol: autocorrect......., hallams nemesis

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
shabba wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
To be honest Shabba, I’d written and saved my post this morning before we’d signed him and tweaked it a bit to make sense before I posted it, but for some reason forgot why I saved it and posted it before it was finished. What I was intending to add was along the following lines;

Whilst I have my concerns there are lots about this player I like, eg; his pedigree, his age, the fact he knows where to find the back of the net and has goals to prove it and has played International football at a higher level than League 2.
I would have preferred he be one of two strikers signed with the other being at the same or similar level as Jay Standfield currently on loan to Birmingham City. Now that really would be the real deal.

Without doubt this had been a challenging transfer window; a sparse field of runners and riders, being chased by lots of suitors. Restricted further by finite funds and FFP restrictions. Acquiring AAH, therefore, should logically be considered good business. KM’s comments reflecting how he fits our profile, with development potential, suggests careful thought regarding his value both immediately, and for the future. Can understand, however, a certain nervousness - given past experiences. But I think we’re operating in a very different world now! If B’burn can land Yates from Swansea, then we’ll almost certainly find Gallagher inbound. Thereby giving us a balance of youth and experience up front. Fingers crossed!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:41 pm

“Al Hamadi, I’ve stubbed my toe!” Ok just trying comic relief. I’m nervous and I want more reinforcements. Come on Mr Ashton, get ‘er done!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:52 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:01 pm
herforder wrote:
marko69 wrote:

:lol: autocorrect......., hallams nemesis
You butter believe it lol :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:13 pm

herforder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 pm
Charnwood wrote:
shabba wrote:

Without doubt this had been a challenging transfer window; a sparse field of runners and riders, being chased by lots of suitors. Restricted further by finite funds and FFP restrictions. Acquiring AAH, therefore, should logically be considered good business. KM’s comments reflecting how he fits our profile, with development potential, suggests careful thought regarding his value both immediately, and for the future. Can understand, however, a certain nervousness - given past experiences. But I think we’re operating in a very different world now! If B’burn can land Yates from Swansea, then we’ll almost certainly find Gallagher inbound. Thereby giving us a balance of youth and experience up front. Fingers crossed!
Although I’d set my sights higher I’d be happy with that.

herforder

Post by herforder » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:41 pm
Al Hamadi, I’ve stubbed my toe!” Ok just trying comic relief. I’m nervous and I want more reinforcements. Come on Mr Ashton, get ‘er done!
You really shouldn’t smoke your toes No 9: :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:30 pm

herforder wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:15 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:41 pm
Al Hamadi, I’ve stubbed my toe!” Ok just trying comic relief. I’m nervous and I want more reinforcements. Come on Mr Ashton, get ‘er done!
You really shouldn’t smoke your toes No 9: :D
Lol! Stopped smoking the crazy stuff years ago. Just gave me a false sense of happiness. Now I just drink in my misery…just kidding. Glad to be alive! Been through alot like most. ITFC a good escape from reality, although getting beat by Maidstone has certainly gave me pause. Not sure how I’ll act if we get promoted to the prem…probably begin planning a long overdue trip to England and visit my ageing mum.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:10 am

Article on Ali ( EADT)

Ipswich Town: Everything you need to know about Ali Al-Hamadi

IPSWICH TOWN FC

By Alex Jones
@alexnljones
Football Writer

Ali Al-Hamadi has taken the number 16 shirt at Ipswich Town <i>(Image: ITFC)</i>
Ali Al-Hamadi has taken the number 16 shirt at Ipswich Town (Image: ITFC)
Ipswich Town have announced Ali Al-Hamadi as their third signing of the January transfer window. Alex Jones takes a closer look at the Iraq international.

East Anglian Daily Times: Al-Hamadi started his football career at Tranmere Rovers
Al-Hamadi started his football career at Tranmere Rovers (Image: PA)

Arrival in England

Many foreign players move to England to kickstart their football careers. Al-Hamadi moved to escape a war.

He was born in Maysan, Iraq. His father, Ibrahim, had been studying to become a lawyer, but was imprisoned by Saddam Hussein for peacefully protesting against the dictator’s regime. His wife was pregnant with Ali at the time, but he helped the family to move to the UK via Jordan at the start of the Iraq War in 2003.

The family were granted asylum in Toxteth, Liverpool, and Ali first met his father when he was one year and four months old. He grew up on a council estate and developed his skills while playing on the streets, earning him a place in the Liverpool Schoolboys team at the age of 13.

Liverpool and Everton were both interested in signing him, but he joined Tranmere Rovers instead, starting in the Under-14s before being offered a professional contract in 2018. He turned it down, instead taking up a two-year scholarship with Swansea City, with his family moving to South Wales as a result.

“I wouldn’t say I’ve taken the most conventional route,” he told The Guardian. “I feel like it’s a special part of me that gives me an edge, a bit more hunger and a lot more perspective on things because of the sacrifices my family had to make. I always have that in the back of my mind.

“Some days we did not really have anything to eat, but my dad would bring as much as he could for us. It was always tough but I have happy memories because, regardless, my parents always tried to provide as much as they could for me.

“Liverpool is an amazing and a really football-mad city. I hear senior players say all the time that as they have got older they don’t watch football as much or they love to go and play golf, but I just love football. I’m always watching it, learning, listening or reading about it. That was my upbringing.”

East Anglian Daily Times: The attacker just 13 games for Wycombe Wanderers
The attacker just 13 games for Wycombe Wanderers (Image: PA)

A difficult move

Was it right for Al-Hamadi to turn down a senior contract at Tranmere? We’ll never know for sure. He did, in fact, earn a professional deal at Swansea just two years after joining up with the academy, but he ended up going on trial at Derby County soon after, scoring for their Under-23s in a 3-3 draw against Norwich City.

He left the Swans in 2021 when it was clear that first-team opportunities would be hard to come by, joining up with Wycombe Wanderers after a successful trial period. Once again, he wasn’t given much of an opportunity, making 13 appearances in total. His only goal came in a Carabao Cup defeat to Bristol City.

He simply wasn’t the right player for Gareth Ainsworth’s style, although a brief loan spell at National League side Bromley in 2021/22 helped him develop. He said that he was ‘knocked about’ in non-league, but he managed to score three goals in 10 games.

He returned to London in January 2023, signing a two-and-a-half-year deal at AFC Wimbledon. The first six months were difficult as the team battled hard to avoid relegation from League Two, but this season has been totally different.

East Anglian Daily Times: Al-Hamadi was one of the top performers in League Two in the first half of the season
Al-Hamadi was one of the top performers in League Two in the first half of the season (Image: PA)

Catching fire

Wimbledon started the campaign well, although Al-Hamadi’s involvement was minimal. He played well in their Carabao Cup win against Coventry City but would’ve been disappointed to be benched in the next round against Chelsea, playing just over 30 minutes in the 2-1 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

September sparked an improvement, culminating with a hat-trick against former club Tranmere at the end of the month. He continued to get on the end of chances in October, but couldn’t find the back of the net. Nothing was falling for him and he was underperforming his xG [expected goals], hinting that he could catch fire.

He did just that, and eye-catching performances against the likes of Doncaster Rovers and Notts County saw many fans and pundits touting him for a big move in January. He entered 2024 with 13 goals and six assists to his name in the league, becoming arguably the hottest property in the fourth-tier.

Most of the Championship had been linked with him at one point or another, but Wimbledon manager Johnnie Jackson admitted that Ipswich’s interest had turned his head.

East Anglian Daily Times: Al-Hamadi's performances in England caught the eye of the Iraq national team
Al-Hamadi's performances in England caught the eye of the Iraq national team (Image: PA)

Representing his country

Eligible to represent England and Iraq, Al-Hamadi opted for the latter, joining up with their Under-23s in 2019 and subsequently declaring for the country of his birth. He joined their preparations for the 2020 AFC U23 Championship and made his debut in October 2019.

Injuries saw him called up to the senior squad in November 2021, making his debut in a 1-1 draw against Syria and his first start in a 3-0 defeat to South Korea. Since then, he’s been an important part of Jesus Casas’ side, with 12 caps and three goals to his name already.

One of those three goals came in a World Cup qualifier against Indonesia, which Iraq won 5-1. Al-Hamadi came off the bench to wrap up the win, rushing past Ipswich’s Elkan Baggott before working the ball around the goalkeeper and firing it into the net.

Ali Al-Hamadi driblou o goleiro e fechou o placar em 5 a 1 para o Iraque contra a Indonésia.#AsianQualifiers pic.twitter.com/Nc8REV7nT1
— Conte Verde (@conteverde_) November 16, 2023
He started against Vietnam in their last group-stage match of the Asian Cup, although he was left out of the squad for their round-of-16 match against Jordan yesterday. Iraq conceded twice in stoppage time to lose 3-2, meaning that Al-Hamadi will be heading back to England.

East Anglian Daily Times: The 21-year-old could join up with his new teammates this week
The 21-year-old could join up with his new teammates this week (Image: ITFC)

What Ipswich are getting

Some eyebrows were raised when Ipswich’s interest in Al-Hamadi was revealed. Dipping into League Two hasn’t always worked for the Blues, but there’s reason to believe that this could be different.

At 21, his potential is significant. He has all the right attributes – pace, energy and physicality. Despite standing at 6ft 2in, he loves to press and hassle defenders, often capitalising when teams try to play out from the back. It’s hard to teach those elements, you either have them or you don’t.

He isn't George Hirst, however, and his hold-up play is one area that could improve. Another is his consistency in the final third, which might sound crazy to say for a striker with 17 goals to his name in all competitions this season.

Some Wimbledon fans have highlighted that he can get on the end of numerous chances, and although he can be a clinical finisher, he perhaps needs to show it more often. In League Two, that's what separates him from someone like Macauley Langstaff at Notts County. It’s not necessarily a big issue because it can easily improve with coaching and experience.

It also shows how high his ceiling is, and Ipswich could be the perfect place for his development, especially as a 21-year-old attacker. His versatility is a plus as he can play on the left and the right. He does seem to thrive when working off a target-man striker who can hold up the ball, which he had with Omar Bugiel at Wimbledon, but he may be asked to lead the line by himself at Portman Road.

There’s a lot to like about this move, but it’s still a big ask to jump from League Two to the Championship. Others, like Ollie Watkins, have done it before, showing that there's no limit to what can be achieved in the right circumstances.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:46 am

The first part got me, asylum in Toxteth, I'd rather seek asylum in Iraq to get away from Toxteth.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:52 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:46 am
The first part got me, asylum in Toxteth, I'd rather seek asylum in Iraq to get away from Toxteth.
Have to admit that was my first thought :lol: Talk about out of the frying pan and in to the fire!

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 am

Charnwood wrote:
well - I'm betting that he will be a better striker for us than is Jackson, so I'm all for this signing

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:19 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 am
Charnwood wrote:
well - I'm betting that he will be a better striker for us than is Jackson, so I'm all for this signing
Lets hope so. Fingers crossed 🤞 🙏

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:37 pm

The more I read about Al Hamadi, the more I like him. Check out his first interview since signing with the EADT:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/24084723.i ... e-signing/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:37 pm
Check out his first interview since signing with the EADT
Aw no, you're joking? He's going to be talking shyte within a week!

Sigh....., No, 9....., I haven't signed for the EADT! :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:51 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:37 pm
Check out his first interview since signing with the EADT
Aw no, you're joking? He's going to be talking shyte within a week!

Sigh....., No, 9....., I haven't signed for the EADT! :D
:lol: my bad grammar...

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:53 pm

Really good podcast/you tube video from the movie Monday team on him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:03 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:45 am
Charnwood wrote:
I’d say that’s a pretty safe bet, in fact I can’t imagine anyone would bet against it.