Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Strikers to make a difference?

Preston Win
12%
Ipswich Win
82%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:41 pm

Image Preston North End v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 3rd February 2024 – 15:00

Deepdale

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

There really isn't too much to add to what has already been said regarding last weekends embarrassment against Maidstone Utd FC in the Fourth round of the FA Cup, clearly we will now go down in the annals of cup history for ever more, every highlights programme of cup giant killings, every BBC match of the day show blah blah blah, yep we will be there for all the world to see, never mind the fact we had those thirty eight attempts at goal to their Two, or the Three times we hit the woodwork, or the Twelve times their man of the match keeper pulled off stunning saves, we lost to a team several divisions below us and that is all that matters to everyone outside of Ipswich, it shouldn't happen, but of course it often does.

Despite saying there isn't too much to add I still cannot help but feel a tad confused over team selection on the day, or for that matter the substitutions when they were made, everything just seemed a bit odd to me and dare I say it, incorrect, although as one or Two on here have pointed out, had a couple more of our plethora of chances gone in nothing more would have been said on the matter and Kieran McKenna would have been seen as the genius he is, we all love to pick a team and we all have it cracked after the game when the result and outcome is known, clearly that's the easy bit, juggling a squad that is in a promotion race and with players missing is a different kettle of fish all together.

I think it has to be said though that the game against our non league opponents did raise questions over One or Two of our squad players, for me at least, personally I see no point in Sone Aluko taking up a squad place, nor am I sure that Jack Taylor & Axel Tuanzebe cut it if I am honest, if you look lost against that level of team then questions have to be raised.

Now that we enter the really nitty gritty of the League season everyone's eyes are on the transfer window and as I write this with 15 hours left to get deals done I have to say I am getting quite uneasy with things, particularly in the striking department. on the face of it we have had a pretty good window with the arrivals of Travis, Sarmiento and now Ali Al-Hamadi, compared to most clubs that is a lot of business, the problem is most clubs have not lost all their striker options as we have and as such it still feels like we are a Striker and possibly a Defender short of what would feel comfortable, there is still time but it does feel a bit like we have messed around for weeks chasing a player who's club are clearly unwilling to let go, several offers appear to have been tabled for Sam Gallagher with no success, there is still time but it could well be we have messed up.

On the subject of defenders I was so pleased to read that George Edmundson has been voted player of the month for January, well deserved in my book as he has without question improved immensely from what we were seeing a few months back, take a look at the games George has played in and we have a very good record with him in the side, unbeaten in fact prior to Maidstone !!! His emergence couldn't really have come at a better time with Cam Burgess still away so let's hope he keeps up the good form.

The signing of Al-Hamadi has me quite excited if I am honest, we all love a new striker at any time but if this guy comes in and does the business he will be seen as a cult hero very quickly with us fans, it is a tall ask for sure, jumping Two divisions but it does happen, people who know him speak very highly of him, he looks to have all the attributes we need for him to succeed and of course Kieran will no doubt get the best out of him and improve his game no end, it wasn't just Town looking at him either as apparently both Leeds & Sunderland have shown recent interest, thankfully we have stolen a march and got him signed.

The next game is massive for us and it is a trip to Preston North End we have to contend with, they are on a bit of an iffy run right now despite giving Leeds one hell of a game not long ago in a game in which they should have taken something from but threw away in the dying moments with a needless penalty, so they can be a dangerous opponent, especially at home. The reason I say it is massive for us is because by the time we step out onto the pitch we could well find ourselves down in Third place with Leeds playing Bristol City Friday evening, add to that Southampton taking on struggling Rotherham Utd on Saturday afternoon we could see an unusual league table with us down in Fourth should things not go our way, hopefully Town can respond as we often do after a setback and get our season back up and running, there is still everything very much to play for and who knows we may have One or Two more new additions in prior to the weekend to bolster the team further. it's a narrow Town win for me, Al-Hamadi 90th Minute winner ? How sweet would that be. COYB'S

The Opposition – Preston North End - Honours

League

First Division
Champions: 1888–89, 1889–90
Runners-up: 1890–91, 1891–92, 1892–93, 1905–06, 1952–53, 1957–58

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1903–04, 1912–13, 1950–51
Runners-up: 1914–15, 1933–34

Third Division / League One
Champions: 1970–71, 1999–2000
Play-off winners: 2015

Fourth Division / League Two
Champions: 1995–96
Runners-up: 1986–87

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1888–89, 1937–38
Runners-up: 1887–88, 1921–22, 1936–37, 1953–54, 1963–64

FA Charity Shield
Runners-up: 1938

Football League War Cup
Winners: 1940–41

Lancashire Senior Cup
Winners (6): 1886–87, 1892–93, 1894–95, 1899–1900, 1938–39, 1996–97

The Manager – Ryan Lowe

League Table as at 31.01.2024

Form Guide

Preston North End

29 Dec Preston 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed

1 Jan Sunderland 2 - 0 Preston

13 Jan Preston 2 - 0 Bristol City

21 Jan Leeds Utd 2 - 1 Preston

27 Jan Millwall 1 - 1 Preston

Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Leicester City

29 Dec Ipswich Town 0 - 0 QP Rangers

1 Jan Stoke City 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Sunderland

22 Jan Leicester City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – Graham Scott

PRESTON NORTH END 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Preston North End vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:00 pm

Yep, great preview......, and a little more on Maidstone......, they drew 0-0 @ home to Punjab Utd in the Kent Cup. They MUST have done an "Ipswich" and rested their players who played at Portman Road. You just CANNOT go to Portman Road, defend 38 shots, have only 2 shots, --->> WIN, and then draw with Punjab Utd. No sense whatsoever.

Did have this down for a nervous draw after that cup game but after that window, going for the Town win and like you, VERY interested in seeing how Al Hamadi plays. Will definitely need a few games to get up to speed I reckon so hopefully if he's nervous, the travelling fans give him plenty support.

0-2 ITFC in this ....., really hoping the lads bust a gut for Kieron & Co on Saturday. COYB's

Caption:
Ref: "Hey Ryan, there is big Jimmy, the sole Preston fan in the home end over there."
Ryan: "Oh yeah. HEY THERE JIMBO!"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:02 am

Nice preview Mike always and good to read to get in the mood for the game, although after this latest transfer window no help is necessary.

If I’d not watched Preston’s performance at Leeds a couple of weeks ago I’d be feeling more confident than I am, they were so unlucky not to take a point back to Deepdale and would have were it not for a ridiculous penalty conceded by Ryan Ledson with a deliberate hand ball in added time.

I can’t wait for kick off tomorrow and am already excited by the prospect of seeing our line up and bench which must give McKenna a bit of a selection headache,

What will be interesting is to see if Keiffer Moore goes straight in the starting X1 or comes off the bench given he won’t have had any training time with the team, assuming of course the squad travel to Preston today.

Whatever happens I think his options and our strength on the bench will be more than enough to edge a win, however that’s what we all thought last weekend.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:02 am

Great preview as always. I am on my way up there tonight and can't wait for the game. Hopefully a 0-2 Town win to banish all thoughts of last weekend and to get us back on track! COYB's!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:03 am

Ok lets predict the lineup ;)

Hladkey

Clarke
Wolfie
Edmundson
Davis

Seems a settled back 4 now, no need to change it.

Morsy
Masimo

I was tempted to go Taylor for more attacking threat, but feel the best pair is still Mas and Morsry, can't see needing to swap Mas for Travis either, too defensive for this game.

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore/Al-Hamadi

I think Sarmiento deserves a start now, Broadhead has been off for a while. Cannot predict which striker will start but suspect they will share 60/30 mins, niether will have trained with the squad much and they might even start Jackson, but personally I'd thrown either of the new lads in.
Hutchinson can feature off the bench later on in the game too.

Whatever happens we MUST be patient with KM and ALH, both are new, both need to settle in the area, get used to our system and such - might take a bit of time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:38 am

I'll be disappointed if Jackson starts. Agree, Broadhead needs a rest. Wondering how Morsy and Travis would play together?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:45 am

Any chance we could refer to Kieffer Moore as KIMO and Kieron McKenna as KMcK?

Using KM is going to get confusing.

“WTF is KM thinking?”
“Eh? Kieffer doesnt pick the team?”
“I meant Kieron. He’s picked Axel.”
“Ah right.”
“And KM at that corner, come on!”
“Eh? He’s only 5’10” “
“I meant Kieffer!”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:01 pm

My team.....

Hladky

Clarke
Woolfenden
Edmundson
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore / Al-Hamadi ???

SUBS...
Walton
Tuanzebe
Hutchinson
Moore / Al-Hamadi
Harness
Luongo
Broadhead
Jackson
Taylor

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:02 pm

That is some subs bench Mike! Play that team plus a few others and we should easily beat a team like Maidstone... oh bugger... 😳

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:59 pm

:lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:06 pm

The invincibles of the 19th century, double winners way before Tottenham, Arsenal etc. May be founder members of the football league also. This is some illustrious opposition if you can go back far enough.

Voted to win, in that we have to. The team HAS to atone itself after that Maidstone bullshit, I won't really tolerate or accept anything other than three points after the humiliation and disaster of the cup exit. The team deserves - and really has to - give something back to the fanbase.

not sure what score to expect but really pinning hopes here on a Town victory. Challengers are too close behind to let slip points right now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:57 pm

What an illustrious week in the Saint household. :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:01 pm
My team.....

Hladky

Clarke
Woolfenden
Edmundson
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore / Al-Hamadi ???

SUBS...
Walton
Tuanzebe
Hutchinson
Moore / Al-Hamadi
Harness
Luongo
Broadhead
Jackson
Taylor

So you wouldn’t even have Brandon Williams on the bench and he’s our highest paid player ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 pm

I really believe Keiffer Moore will start against Preston. He’s recently played in the Premier league. He’s fit. Why wouldn’t KM pick him to start? Some of you say, Moore hasn’t practiced enough with the squad. So what?…it’s football not synchronized swimming. It is more unlikely that Al Hamadi will get the start. He’s jumping up two divisions! I guess we’ll find out tomorrow, but I’m sticking to my prediction Moore will score on his debut like he’s done before.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 pm

Knowing Kieran It will probably be a lineup like this:

Hladky

Williams Wolfenden Tuanzebe Davis

Morsey Luongo

Burns Chaplin Sarmiento

Moore or Al-Hamadi

Subs Bench...
Walton
Hutchinson
Clarke
Broadhead
Harness
Travis
Taylor
Jackson
Moore or Al-Hamadi

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:51 pm

I believe Al Hamadi is nursing a back issue, so I don't think he'll be playing a part.

My guess is Moore will start, Jackson will come on after an hour.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:55 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:01 pm
My team.....

Hladky

Clarke
Woolfenden
Edmundson
Davis

Morsy
Travis

Burns
Chaplin
Sarmiento

Moore / Al-Hamadi ???

SUBS...
Walton
Tuanzebe
Hutchinson
Moore / Al-Hamadi
Harness
Luongo
Broadhead
Jackson
Taylor

So you wouldn’t even have Brandon Williams on the bench and he’s our highest paid player ?
Nope, wouldn't have him near the club again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm

Don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but just a quick question for 9 ....., when does the synchronized swimming start? Might actually make an effort to pop down and see that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm
Don't want to hijack the thread or anything, but just a quick question for 9 ....., when does the synchronized swimming start? Might actually make an effort to pop down and see that.
Yes I enjoy me some synchronized swimming. Thank god it’s a female sport. I can only imagine the shock of wardrobe malfunctions if men participated! :lol:

I can hear the olympic commentary:

Male presenter: Oh ok, well they call that move the chestnut.
Female presenter: Oh…yes I can see why they’d call it that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:36 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:24 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:17 pm
Yes I enjoy me some synchronized swimming. Thank god it’s a female sport. I can only imagine the shock of wardrobe malfunctions if men participated! :lol:

I can hear the olympic commentary:

Male presenter: Oh ok, well they call that move the chestnut.
Female presenter: Oh…yes I can see why they’d call it that.
:lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:11 pm

Well with Leeds beating Bristol City 1-0 tonight they go 2nd but played 2 games more so It's a must-win tomorrow against Preston Kieffer more Hatrick will go down very well

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:42 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:11 pm
Well with Leeds beating Bristol City 1-0 tonight they go 2nd but played 2 games more so It's a must-win tomorrow against Preston Kieffer more Hatrick will go down very well
It’s squeaky bum time, Ash!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:52 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:42 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:11 pm
It’s squeaky bum time, Ash!
You at Ricco's? Holy fig....., that peanut curry is doing the rounds!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:53 pm

I don’t know about everyone else but I just can’t wait for tomorrow’s game and more than anything see how we’re going to line up. I think we’re in for an exciting few months, I certainly hope so and applaud our owners for digging deep in the transfer window and giving the management team every opportunity to have a real go at winning promotion. 👏👏👏

It certainly feels good being a town fan again. 💙💙💙

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:33 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:06 pm
The invincibles of the 19th century, double winners way before Tottenham, Arsenal etc. May be founder members of the football league also. This is some illustrious opposition if you can go back far enough.

Voted to win, in that we have to. The team HAS to atone itself after that Maidstone bullshit, I won't really tolerate or accept anything other than three points after the humiliation and disaster of the cup exit. The team deserves - and really has to - give something back to the fanbase.

not sure what score to expect but really pinning hopes here on a Town victory. Challengers are too close behind to let slip points right now.
I guess what makes this forum so interesting is the diversity of fan opinions. I’ve been a Town fan since the glory days in the late 70s and whilst obviously the Maidstone loss was disappointing, I would never couch it in terms of a disaster or humiliation. Look at the game stats… it was a freak of a game. And in terms of “giving something back” to the fan base, I’d argue that in this regard, ITFC has been legendary over the past 12-18 months giving us goals, drama and excitement in sh*tloads. I’m going to sit back, relax (squeaky backside excluded) and relish the rest of what has been a brilliant season so far. Can’t wait so see how our new strike force impacts our performances.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:26 am

I won’t be about to see or listen today but hoping for and expecting a win. No easy games at this level but we should be good enough today. 3-1 to Ipswich.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:31 am

I see today as huge in terms of confidence and our ambition to go up automatically. Including the Norwich home game I believe we have only won 2 out of the last 9 league and cup games. No doubt if some of the other contenders for automatic promotion were on that sort of run some of our supporters would be saying they are falling away.
Today is the opportunity for us to show that is not the case with us and you write us off at your peril. COYB!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:01 am

Conversely one defeat in Eleven

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:01 am
Conversely one defeat in Eleven
Problem is the number of draws in that run. Yes the 2 against Leicester can be classified as fairly good results but we need to be getting wins against sides like Stoke and QPR if we are going to continue our push for automatic promotion. I would classify todays game against Preston as in that category and that is why I feel this game is huge in terms of our quest for automatic promotion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:48 am

I agree, the performances against Norwich, OPR and Stoke were winning performances all day long, sometimes the footballing gods conspire to work against you, had we played poorly I would feel a whole lot worse tbh.