Championship - Ipswich Town vs West Bromwich Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 points, 1 point or No points?

Town Win
67%
W.B.A. Win
20%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Ricco

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs West Bromwich Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:28 pm

If it stays as a draw, that is us clinging on to the hope of automatics with our fingernails.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs West Bromwich Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:29 pm

What a goalmouth scramble that was.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Very nearly a Third!

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:29 pm

So close!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:29 pm

It’s not over yet.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:30 pm

One more chance.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 pm

Well not sure what to make of that.

Keeping shooting ourselves in the foot but the battling play to get something out of the game is highly commendable.

Tense but really exciting to watch!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:33 pm

missed most of the damn game although it couldn't really be helped. We've made it 2 - 2 now with time running out but in the dark about most other events of what's going on there. Appears we've created far more chances however and possession etc and saved it late on. Seems to be a lot of additional time underway. It's over now ? We took a point from it, can't really ascertain if we were value for it or maybe fortunate with it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:38 pm

In the end we did well to get a point and the result was less bad than what it might have been. For me it was Woolfie and Edmundson again who cost us although the later did contribute to the first equaliser. Not the best outcome but it could do easily have been worse. Fantastic game for Sky’s neutral viewers. At this rate they’ll want to broadcast every Town game.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:40 pm

We have got to go on a run now or it's the play offs and KMc has got to sort the defence out and quickly.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:42 pm

A lot of frustrated Fans coming out of the Stadium after that

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:42 pm

Ali looked sharp and unlucky not score the winner. Unfortunately once again our defence cost 2 goals. Looked better in the 2nd half but we are always chasing games instead of leading games with our dominance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:48 pm

We just need to carry forward the last 25 mins into the next game on Wednesday night. If we do the shows back on the road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:50 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:42 pm
They should be on a high after that finish, to a man they gave everything. I don’t think we’re finished yet but we definitely need to go on a run and the fixtures coming up at least make that prospect look possible.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:52 pm

I hope Burgess' return will help settle the defence. Has anyone heard when Williams will return?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:04 pm

just seen McKenna started with the same formation once again. Sick of reiteration but once again while it's served us well at past times it's just not working for us now. It's up to the manager to realize this and change or rotate players and names before they take to the field. The last few weeks and lack of games won suggest straight away we need to change our thinking when starting against opposition teams.

can't always understand why so often we have two, three times more possession or chances created than whatever opponent is before us but more often than not fail to win or miss out on further points. It's frustrating if not bizarre but at least the opportunities would be there. It's better than creating nothing.

WBA would have been tough, they're a good team but just feel a sense of loss in that we couldn't take a win from this event. How many games we won now from the last 10 ? Saving it late on and salvaging a point whenever is all very well but we very nearly lost and recent scores and results just haven't been satisfactory. It's not so much being critical but the truth of it. Sorry but we've allowed a very promising position / opportunity slip since the end of the year. Guess I'm just irritated in that we dropped further points today.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:08 pm

I really rate Burns as a player, but at this moment we changed down the right as soon as Hutchinson came on. Maybe Hutchinson is do a start.
Why Harness? don't get why he came on. Soon as Ali came on we changed again obviously with Ali. Personally would of replaced Chaplin with Ali and kept Mass on. Woolfenden again so laid back. Clark., possibly makes just as many mistakes as Woolfenden does but look at his reaction to Woolfenden's. It hurts Clarke, not saying it doesn't Woolfenden but it doesn't show.
We start the games so slowly, got to in my opinion be sharper and take control. How many games is it we have gone behind?

We are now looking at being possibly being 4 pints behind Southampton at end of day and 3 behind Leeds, one good thing is on paper we now have decent run of games where we could really make a decent points tally

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:11 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:50 pm
lucy wrote:
They should be on a high after that finish, to a man they gave everything. I don’t think we’re finished yet but we definitely need to go on a run and the fixtures coming up at least make that prospect look possible.
Not the Fans walking in front of me, alot of groans and grumbles

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:19 pm

Fantastic game. We cannot afford to give away 2 goals every week and expect to win games in this league!! Poor goals given away, ref was shocking (as usual) but all in all, a good day out. They gave everything at the end (as we did last week too) but it was not to be. We just need to keep going and keep the faith. All scenario's are possible for hope for the best but plan for the worst! COYB's!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 pm

For love of God, drop Woolfenden and Edmundson and play Axel and Burgess for the rest of the season. Then in the summer bring in two decent CB’s and ditch Woolfenden/ Edmundson. They’re not good enough! As long as those two play in the dude we will continue to gift goals. There’s a mistake every game in both of them!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:28 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:52 pm
I hope Burgess' return will help settle the defence. Has anyone heard when Williams will return?
Who would you drop though? I think Woolfenden needs dropping personally, not just for his defending. He takes for ever to pass the ball forward or sideways, there just isn't any urgency in the guy he is far to casual 🙄

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:36 pm

One thing about this team is we never know when we are beaten, we give our all and are as honest as the day is long.

I thought we were poor in the first half and looked all at sea at times, they were getting in behind Clarke and Davis with ease and causing us problems. Once again their opening goal is a CB f*ck up, this time Woolfenden, he needs to do much better. I thought Broadhead was woeful and how Chaplin missed that chance god only knows, that miss is as bad as Woolfy's error because both cost us a goal.

Second half was much much better and by the close we could, and should have won it but not before another CB muck up costs us again, this time Edmundson plays a suicidal ball out and again they score, another team who have Two efforts on goal and score both, it happens too often.

Our substitutions changed the game completely, Hutchinson was just unplayable and deservedly got the crucial goal to get a point but Al-Hamadi and Harness also had a good and positive effect on our performance, Al-Hamadi almost scoring. But it was Moore who came the closest to winning it, only a world class save denying the big man, it was some save.

We just have to stamp out these ridiculous defensive errors because that is what we'll remember and yet Woolfenden and more so Edmundson both had decent games apart from those lapses.

I also think we need to question why McKenna cannot get the team up and firing from the off because its been happening for months now, we looked slow and laboured for much of the opening 45, once we take the game to them we look a different animal, its great we are able to change it but we are giving ourselves too much to do. I'd have taken a point before the game, in fact that was my prediction and at 2-1 down I'd have bitten your hand off for a point, by the close I was a tad disappointed we didn't win it. Unlike Lucy I was pleased at how those around me in the Sir Bobby Robson stand reacted, most seemed very happy with the effort from the boys, as I said, we just never give up. COYB'S

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:36 pm
One thing about this team is we never know when we are beaten, we give our all and are as honest as the day is long.

I thought we were poor in the first half and looked all at sea at times, they were getting in behind Clarke and Davis with ease and causing us problems. Once again their opening goal is a CB f*ck up, this time Woolfenden, he needs to do much better. I thought Broadhead was woeful and how Chaplin missed that chance god only knows, that miss is as bad as Woolfy's error because both cost us a goal.

Second half was much much better and by the close we could, and should have won it but not before another CB muck up costs us again, this time Edmundson plays a suicidal ball out and again they score, another team who have Two efforts on goal and score both, it happens too often.

Our substitutions changed the game completely, Hutchinson was just unplayable and deservedly got the crucial goal to get a point but Al-Hamadi and Harness also had a good and positive effect on our performance, Al-Hamadi almost scoring. But it was Moore who came the closest to winning it, only a world class save denying the big man, it was some save.

We just have to stamp out these ridiculous defensive errors because that is what we'll remember and yet Woolfenden and more so Edmundson both had decent games apart from those lapses.

I also think we need to question why McKenna cannot get the team up and firing from the off because its been happening for months now, we looked slow and laboured for much of the opening 45, once we take the game to them we look a different animal, its great we are able to change it but we are giving ourselves too much to do. I'd have taken a point before the game, in fact that was my prediction and at 2-1 down I'd have bitten your hand off for a point, by the close I was a tad disappointed we didn't win it. Unlike Lucy I was pleased at how those around me in the Sir Bobby Robson stand reacted, most seemed very happy with the effort from the boys, as I said, we just never give up. COYB'S
Thanks Mike for that, I agree nobody can question Town players efforts, desires and hearts the way we keep on. Starting games is huge worry. Is it down to not pumping themselves up?

Once game starts there is very little Kieran can do but something needs to change. Got to gee themselves up

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:36 pm

Most near me in SBR Upper were clapping and appreciated the great effort at the end cos they played their hearts out. Just a shame we needed to cos we gave the goals away (again)...

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:30 pm

I wonder if we'd be better off starting some of those impact players coming on as subs. It's becoming quite a trend where we struggle in the first half and go down a goal or two, and then finish out the match with an uptick in energy and confidence. What if we start a match with that mindset?

Speculation, but I also wonder how the pairing of Morsy and Travis could positively affect us defensively. I think it is obvious our WBs are regularly caught out of position when going forward which ultimately puts a lot of pressure on the CBs. Travis could be the clean-up man in those instances.
Many Premier teams have a defensive midfielder for that reason. Further, why on earth is Edmundson bringing the ball out from the back? He has the worst technical skills out of all our CBs in my opinion.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:35 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:11 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:50 pm
lucy wrote:
Not the Fans walking in front of me, alot of groans and grumbles
To be fair Lucy we are frustrating to watch because we make it so hard for ourselves but the spirit and determination we have these days when we’re down you really have to admire. In fact we never know when we’re best and never give up and I have to applaud that as it’s a quality we’ve not seen from Town for many years.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:47 pm

Sorry, but Wolfenden has to go he costs us nearly every match he plays he was so bloody slow and when we were chasing the game he still didn't up the pace, thank God we have Burgess back next week and Put Axel in Edmundson's place, Morsy and Luongo midfield then four up front two wings and two central strikers mix it up a bit, 4-2-4 or like them 4-3-3-and quicken the pace of play keep pushing keep the opposition on the back foot, Edmundson didn't have a bad game but that pass out of defence to Harness was truly woeful, when he could have played it out wide, But I still don't get this slow passing game nonchalantly keep the ball and try to walk it into the oppositions half, I said before if we keep playing the same 4-2-3-1 we will get caught out, just before they scored their first goal their manager sends instructions out to play 4-3-3 bang a goal, it just goes to show you can change if the 4-2-3-1 isn't working.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:57 pm

Never did I think I'd consider that but maybe a time for Burns and Chaplin to get dropped?

Burns completely out of form. Don't recognize him nowadays.

Chaplin apart from the Sunderland game hasn't done much in 2024. Hutchinson is offering a bigger threat at the moment.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:40 pm

One way to try to stop the leakage of goals would be to play 3-5-2 with Clarke & Davis being on the wings either side of three across midfield. This would give us three at the back instead of just Woolfie & Edmundson who simply aren’t good enough to cope on their own. The problem is when we’re playing out of defence they’re both experts at giving the ball away especially when the wing backs have moved forward expecting to receive the ball as part of a forward play movement. With the extra defender Morsy could play in the centre of midfield with Broadhead left and Chaplin right with Moore & Al Hamadi upfront. It may need tweaking in the midfield as Broadhead and Chaplin would have to play deeper which might be alien especially to Chaplin.
It maybe that against the weaker opposition we have coming up we don’t need any wholesale changes but I’m just fed up with conceding sloppy unnecessary goals.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:02 pm

I too have wondered whether we should play 3 central defenders.
Woolfenden at fault for the first goal but the ball came out wide without a full back in sight. Part of our defensive frailty is playing only 2 defenders - the wing backs hardly count as they are often bypassed. If we are going to play that system, it needs someone to drop back and cover. But you never see Morsy, Luongo, Burns, Chaplin or Broadhead providing cover. So we get caught in the break. Just like in the Cup match. I think the goal threw Woolfenden off his game; I think he receives unfair criticism sometimes but today he was below par. I think we are trying to play good football and so have wingbacks who are effective getting forward and Woolfenden who (usually) is good with the ball at his feet, I would suggest that none of them are great defensively.
The three behind Moore were fairly ineffective today, and that is partly down to the slow build up. We were often playing with 20 men in about a 30-yard strip as they got 10 men back and we passed out about until our defence was on the half way line.
Earlier on in the season we moved the ball more quickly. Not 30- or 40-yard passes, but 3 or 4 quick first-time short passes, one-touch football. That has stopped. So we get bogged down in possession and get caught on the break.
So….
My expectation and hope for the season was a top half finish. I think we all got carried away with the start to the season. Like many promoted teams we played with confidence and positively. Once things started to go slightly wrong we lost the confidence and have become slow. At the start of the season we played similarly but occasionally moved the ball more quickly as I’ve said above and opened teams up. If we forget the start of the season our results suggest we are a mid table Club. And it’s not just results, it’s often the performances too. I think we deserved a point today but didn’t deserve to win. Our passing wasn’t always good - which allows us to get caught on the break when we give it away - and having got in a striker who can win a header, our crossing was abysmal.
Realistically we won’t make top 2. I can’t see 2 of the three above us slipping up enough for us to pass them. We aren’t good enough to close the gap. We will probably hang on in the playoffs but the team dropping down rarely wins them.
In my opinion McKenna’s inexperience is showing. But I’d still prefer him to any other manager. Today was my last match for a month, so no more rambling from me until mid March. Onwards and upwards.