KMc to Palace ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cabanas Blue

KMc to Palace ?

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:45 pm

Plenty of talk about KMc going to Crystal Palace on TWTD, I just hope he wouldn't be tempted, I fear if he went now or later it would mean we would struggle to get promoted to the Premier, I just hope I'm wrong.

Shed on tour

Re: KMc to Palace ?

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:54 pm

Don’t worry that is why we have had a dip in form so it puts them off. :wink:
This Palace rumour has been doing the rounds for a while now. A friend of mine is a Palace season ticket holder and has some very good contacts within the club. Been waiting to hear from him about the McKenna connection but haven’t heard anything yet so at this moment in time I’m taking the no news is good news line.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:15 pm

Read this for months now, utter tripe in my opinion.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:48 pm

Load o Bollox …… next!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:48 pm

haven't we read this issue before someplace. What I can ascertain is CPFC seem to be encountering some difficulty within the premier league, possible threat of relegation, and Roy Hodgson may not be team coach for much longer. That of course leaves a vacancy.

But for McKenna at least it would only provide a step down. CPFC are, arguably, a smaller team than ourselves, smaller club set-up and can't match our once illustrious past times or achievements. Suppose the ultimate factor lies in whether they remain in the EPL and survive their status for another season but above it all, Mckenna just doesn't seem suited for a role there. It's just not viable or logic dictates there's no reason or sense in him swapping team position here for them. Final time, it'd be a step down after the achievement and progess made with us.

There's little to no mention on the Holmesdale End about it so with that, you can kind of imagine it's bullshit or holds limited theory.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:04 pm

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:12 pm

If it’s true he’s odds on favourite and it’s not just speculation then I’m worried. Personally I can’t see any Premier League Club taking a flyer on relative rookie manager with no previous experience managing the Prima Donna’s that exist in the EPL. Managing the football is one thing but managing the players is something else at that level, and I’m not sure he’s ready for that yet.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:37 pm

I think he can do better than Palace, but I wonder how much KM believes in us getting promoted now given the recent form? Maybe that might tempt him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:46 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:37 pm
I think he can do better than Palace, but I wonder how much KM believes in us getting promoted now given the recent form? Maybe that might tempt him.
If he actually gets an EPL offer I’m fairly sure he wouldn’t be able to turn it down. I think Palace are good enough for mid table and I’m sure McKenna would have enough faith in his own ability to make further improvements. It’s could also be a brilliant opportunity and stepping stone to one of the big jobs that he couldn’t get taken seriously for from Ipswich.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:12 pm
If it’s true he’s odds on favourite and it’s not just speculation then I’m worried. Personally I can’t see any Premier League Club taking a flyer on relative rookie manager with no previous experience managing the Prima Donna’s that exist in the EPL. Managing the football is one thing but managing the players is something else at that level, and I’m not sure he’s ready for that yet.
Agreed. Tbh I would have thought they would be looking more at somebody like Potter rather than KM who as you say is still in the very early stages of his managerial career, but then again you never know.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:21 pm

This says it all for me....He aint going anywhere. 🙄

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:59 pm

Exactly, why are people ignoring it..

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:57 am

On another note will we get a large compensation payment from Man Utd for Sam Williams our head of recruitment? joining them??? surely there must be a compensation package as we employed him, if anyone knows what the deal was, it would be good to share it here.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:57 am
On another note will we get a large compensation payment from Man Utd for Sam Williams our head of recruitment? joining them??? surely there must be a compensation package as we employed him, if anyone knows what the deal was, it would be good to share it here.

I knew they were touting after him but I didn’t know he’d gone, although it was such a big step up career move there was little chance of it not happening if they made him an offer.

In contractural terms I’m not sure how senior a “Head of Recruitment” position is, whether it be Director Level, Senior Management or simply Management. Whatever the level I think it’s unlikely to involve substantial compensation which is usually reserved only for contracted staff such as the Head Coach or Team Manager who usually bring their own team with them.

Whatever the situation I think it’s a disappointment losing him as McKenna seems to have built a brilliant team around him which is another reason why he’ll be in high demand and why we may struggle to hold onto him.

Our biggest chance of keeping Kieran will be him wanting to see the job he’s started finished and see how far he can take us, especially this season. If we get promotion this year I think there’s a good chance he’ll stay, if we miss out it could prove difficult to hang onto him as there’s no doubt his profile has shot up since he joined us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:16 am

The only positive of losing a few then lol, deter possible suitors

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:00 am

Our form has dipped lately and it doesn't put off anyone.

Better money on his bank account would be the only logic in his departure. Otherwise what is the point? Plenty of toxicity at Palace. Their fans want the board to go and voice their displeasure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:17 am

McKenna isn't leaving this club .

"No, my full focus, full commitment is with Ipswich and the season that we’re having and the next game ahead, so that’s where all my energy is and all my commitment is,” he said.

“I don’t pay any attention to it, to be honest. It’s not the first time in the last couple of years. If you’re doing well, it’s going to be there and there are going to be links."

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:35 pm

While I kinda believe it and feel he'll be here 'til the end of the season, such statements are often made and not kept to across the footballing universe, what else is he to say? So it means little to me.

I'd say poor results and he's more likely to jump ship whilst he has strong offers! He'll only stay here if our club keeps growing and going up the leagues with him, so that's what we need to do. As I have said once or twice, it could be bloody crucial that we go up this year, if we don't I wouldn't be surprised if we lose McKenna, a couple of our best players and the momentum and spirit that we have built. That's not the end of the world, but it would make next season harder than this one, that's for sure.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:49 pm

McKenna may go at end of this season but it won't be before and it won't be to CPFC. Suppose we don't get a promotion, remain at Championship level, McKenna may decide he's had a great run here but feel he's reached a pinnacle of his abilities with us and try his hand elsewhere.

Our recent 'poor form' or dropping of points and fall from stability within the promotion places may have planted some doubt in his mind of his ability to really improve the team or fulfil intended potential. The disappointment at missing out (should it occur) on a place in the EPL after letting it slip when we had in our own destiny may sway him to take a position elsewhere.

It's all hypothetical and time remains in which for things to happen but can kind of pencil in feasible actions when a time arises. Best guess I'd rather just see a promotion to eradicate such doubts but we're simply not performing right now as well as once before. You got to entertain all eventualities.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:09 pm

He's ran his course at ITFC, time for him to GTF..... or GTP --->> Get to Palace.

Get Paul Cook back. He's 24pts ahead and finally got Dobra scoring.

No brainer...., Kieron too predictable.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:09 pm
He's ran his course at ITFC, time for him to GTF..... or GTP --->> Get to Palace.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Dooooooooooo What :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:43 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:09 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: Dooooooooooo What :lol: :lol:
Being serious. Get Cookie back or the Bonnyrigg Rose boss....., they were outstanding @ Aberdeen today. Were beaten yes, but those players were up for it. When was the last time Ipswich players were up for it? Yes , they should be up for it, but its 100% Kierons job to motor-vate and he's clearly not on the same page as the Bonnyrigg Rose boss or the Civil Service Strollers boss.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:00 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:17 am

"No, my full focus, full commitment is with Ipswich and the season that we’re having and the next game ahead, so that’s where all my energy is and all my commitment is,” he said.

“I don’t pay any attention to it, to be honest. It’s not the first time in the last couple of years. If you’re doing well, it’s going to be there and there are going to be links."

Don’t be sucked in by all that stuff Liz. He’s contracted to Town and couldn’t possibly say anything else. I’m sure he’s enjoying life at Ipswich and happy here, but he’s also very ambitious and whilst I think he’ll still be here at the end of the season even if we miss out on promotion, I also think he’s done more than enough for his personal profile to attract interest from clubs with much higher status than ITFC, and when the right offer comes he’ll be off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:04 am

I think we'll have him here next season, after that not a chance unless we go up. Was interesting hearing the pundits on sky saying he's much better off here and his first choice for Premier league is with us, they seem to think he won't be rushing to jump through hoops to get there and that he'd rather build it here and keep adding to the project, hopefully they are correct .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:00 am
hallamblue wrote:

Don’t be sucked in by all that stuff Liz. He’s contracted to Town and couldn’t possibly say anything else. I’m sure he’s enjoying life at Ipswich and happy here, but he’s also very ambitious and whilst I think he’ll still be here at the end of the season even if we miss out on promotion, I also think he’s done more than enough for his personal profile to attract interest from clubs with much higher status than ITFC, and when the right offer comes he’ll be off.
Where is there for him to go in the Premier League? Palace, Forest, Bournemouth? Why would he leave a club on the up which he has had a lot of building input on training ground, pitches, data analysts and scouting. KMck will not be satisfied unless he gets Ipswich promoted. His relationship with Ashton is massive as well. He won't leave for any club which is not bigger than Ipswich Town Fc. Which leaves Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea , Arsenal, Newcastle,
Villa and possibly West Ham. And none of them are going to come a calling. Also if Ipswich don't get promoted this year would that also look like failure by some considering the position we were in. Don't forget he also lost to Maidstone. So maybe others should not be sucked in to him going 🤔

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:22 pm
Charnwood wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Where is there for him to go in the Premier League? Palace, Forest, Bournemouth? Why would he leave a club on the up which he has had a lot of building input on training ground, pitches, data analysts and scouting. KMck will not be satisfied unless he gets Ipswich promoted. His relationship with Ashton is massive as well. He won't leave for any club which is not bigger than Ipswich Town Fc. Which leaves Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea , Arsenal, Newcastle,
Villa and possibly West Ham. And none of them are going to come a calling. Also if Ipswich don't get promoted this year would that also look like failure by some considering the position we were in. Don't forget he also lost to Maidstone. So maybe others should not be sucked in to him going 🤔
Everyone is entitled to think whatever they like and nobody knows if their view is right or wrong, personally I think Kieran McKenna is destined to manage a top team in the Premier League and most likely within my lifetime. Whilst you might choose to think a cup defeat to Maidstone might have a detrimental impact on his career personally I don’t.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:34 pm

Palace’s ownership would be pretty naive to sanction the acquisition of an unproven, Championship manager at this point. It all sounds like media speculation as usual.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:58 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Everyone is entitled to think whatever they like and nobody knows if their view is right or wrong, personally I think Kieran McKenna is destined to manage a top team in the Premier League and most likely within my lifetime. Whilst you might choose to think a cup defeat to Maidstone might have a detrimental impact on his career personally I don’t.
I mentioned all the clubs with the "higher status" than Ipswich, he isnt going to any of them this season or next which is what the speculation and thread is about. Not somebody's lifetime. And yes Maidstone won't be a defining moment but it's on his CV.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:27 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:58 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:18 pm
mendipblue wrote:

I mentioned all the clubs with the "higher status" than Ipswich, he isnt going to any of them this season or next which is what the speculation and thread is about. Not somebody's lifetime. And yes Maidstone won't be a defining moment but it's on his CV.
For what it’s worth the defeat to Maidstone won’t appear anywhere on Mckenna’s CV. Likewise you have no more idea than I do where he will manage next and most likely the man himself has no idea either although he may have a few clubs on his shortlist where he’d like to go.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:03 pm