Championship - Millwall FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Start another winning streak?

Millwall Win
13%
Ipswich Win
73%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

arana peligrosa

Re: Championship - Millwall FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:06 am

So why can't the team procure scores like that more often anymore. Been a lousy run of results last six weeks / 2 months, lo and behold we pull a rabbit out the hat and take away a standout victory. Guess just frustrated the dip in form since end of last year but that was a score and performance much required.

Has Bialkowski fallen out of favor for them or don't they use him in first team games anymore. Kind of hoped to see him in action against us but guess just as well they went with someone else. Been following the team for more years than can recall but don't know who our designated penalty taker is this season. Al Hamadi was given the task but imagined someone else would have been given the opportunity. Suppose we were three goals ahead and the game was won, it's a new kid we brought in and imagine allowed him the chance. I don't know.

Moore looks mighty useful only a few select games in and there's goals from so many other areas of forward postions if they were so inclined. The oppostion may not be up to much, they may be - or are - a very poor team right now but credit where it's due we kept focus and went there and performed / did a job admirably.

On course again for the auto promotion slots and believe we got a run of favorable games up next where points can come our way. Play like we did here and there's every chance we can build up a good points total. Of course you got to take into consideration they won't be as lightweight as Millwall but by the basis of this game alone, we're back on track to achieve once again.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:15 am

Given our recent fragility for the first 20 minutes of each game I think it’s important we focus on this period massive for the rest of the season. We then wouldn’t have the pressure of trying to get back into the game and would make it so much easier on ourselves even if it isn’t pretty to watch. Once we’d got over this period last night there was only one team in it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:29 am

We look SO vulnerable in defence whenever a ball comes into our box. We're just Incapable of commanding high balls into our area. Moore's height and ability to header has helped us a lot. But it is what it isfor the rest of the season.

Overall a VERY accomplished performance once we hot past our mandatory slow ponderous start.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:21 am

Great result, it has been on the cards we would thump someone sooner or later with the amount attempts on goal we had been having lately 👏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:12 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:29 am
We look SO vulnerable in defence whenever a ball comes into our box. We're just Incapable of commanding high balls into our area. Moore's height and ability to header has helped us a lot. But it is what it isfor the rest of the season.

Overall a VERY accomplished performance once we hot past our mandatory slow ponderous start.
After the first 15 minutes last night I didn't think we looked vulnerable at the back at all, I thought it was the most comfortable we had looked because frankly they didn't lay a glove on us.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:12 am
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:29 am

After the first 15 minutes last night I didn't think we looked vulnerable at the back at all, I thought it was the most comfortable we had looked because frankly they didn't lay a glove on us.
Very true, can't remember seeing Millwall having a shot on target in the second half, actually not sure they had a shot at all being honest in the second half

I could be warn though

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:48 am

One thing that's interesting in the game is the contrast in managerial fortunes.

Kieran McKenna and Joe Edwards are both 37 and in charge of their first clubs after spells as assistants at premiership giants.

KM is flying high and attacting a lot of very positive attention. Edwards may be now one game away from the sack. It goes to show either:
- it was a big gamble by Town to appoint KM which has really paid off
- Ashton really understands the game and young prospective managers' abilities to make the leap

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:28 pm

Agreed, Johnny.

(I’ve already held my hands up in admission that i was wrong about Mashton. Thought he was a “hing-er oan” …., but nope. He’s an intelligent bloke)

He obviously thought about the Jose Mourinho link……. Like him or not, anyone who spends extended time with Jose is going to learn a lot, more good than bad that’s for sure. Would also go some way in answering the people who reckon Kieron is trying to play Premiership football with Championship players. I do not personally “believe” that, but certainly could be an answer to what they are seeing.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:52 pm

Its a sign of quality Management, as i say "KEEP THE FAITH" while everyone else is falling apart.
So its Wholemeal bread then, any sauce or you got enough already :lol: :lol:
Can I borrow some of your sauce John? :lol:
Yeah it’s nice we’re not talking about Wolves for a change! :lol:
Agree, I do talk 20% about the Wolves, whereupon you talk 100% B.S all the time. Will leave it at that,
Last edited by goldandblack on Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm

Nice to see Harry Clarke in team of the week, thought he was excellent last night, my MOTM for sure.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm
Nice to see Harry Clarke in team of the week, thought he was excellent last night, my MOTM for sure.
Agree i watched the match and he looked quality, as did the team and the amazing support lets hope the Town are back,

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:23 pm

Millwall were pretty dire last night. Lots of changes through injuries etc we should be beating them anyway and those teams..the real test will come in April..just as well our nxt lot of games are winnable as it will give our newer players a lot more time to gel and a better understanding of our system and each other so come the harder games we will be primed.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:45 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:27 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm

Can I borrow some of your sauce John? :lol:
Yeah it’s nice we’re not talking about Wolves for a change! :lol:
Agree, I do talk 20% about the Wolves, whereupon you talk 100% B.S all the time. Will leave it at that,
Group hug? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:52 pm

Who’d have thought there’d be “hugs” in the Millwall thread.