Championship - Swansea City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up the Millwall result?

Swansea
No votes
Ipswich
82%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Swansea City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:54 pm

Image Swansea City v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 17th February 2024 – 15:00

Swansea.com Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

What a difference not conceding first or early makes ! Town's trip to Millwall saw us return to winning ways with a confidence boosting drubbing of our hosts, getting back among the goals was also very pleasing and to go in at the interval Three goals to the good had us all relaxed for a change as the game as a contest was over at that very early stage.

I must admit after the opening Quarter of an Hour I was saying to myself here we go again, we looked second best, slow to press, no passes and generally poor, we had Hladky to thank as he had to produce Three saves to keep the scoreline level, not worldies but saves none the less. thankfully that was as good as it got for Millwall as Town suddenly took control and began to look a different proposition altogether. the combination of Hutchinson, Burns & Clarke was causing them all manner of problems and it was from a Hutchinson cross that a much improved Nathan Broadhead cleverly directed his backward flicked header into the net to gives us the lead.

More good work from Broadhead saw them concede an own goal from his cross to double our lead and by the time kieffer Moore headed us further ahead just before half time the game was done and the points in the bag. The cross for Moore's goal was courtesy of some great work by Harry Clarke who dinked his way into the box, evading tackles as he got to the byline before whipping a lovely ball across for Moore to head down into the turf and over the keeper, I thought Clarke had a fab first at both ends of the pitch and the speed and determination he showed in getting back to make the tackle when they were in a one on one situation epitomised everything about Clarke's love of playing for Ipswich Town, that's what you wouldn't get from Williams.

The second half was always going to be a stroll and so it proved with kieran McKenna clearly instructing the players to manage the game sensibly and without risk and hopefully pick them off if the opportunity arose and this we did with some aplomb, we were literally never troubled but nor did we go for the jugular, yes a goal or two more would have been nice but I think protect what we had was the sensible option.

There was still time right at the death for the referee to award us a penalty after some good work by Substitute Al-Hamadi who was fouled right on the edge of the box, Town probably fortunate to get the decision of a penalty, it was the Iraqi striker who dusted himself to fire the spot kick home and with it his first goal in a Town shirt right in front of the jubilant town fans who had been absolutely fantastic all night long, the delight on Al-Hamadi's face and those of his colleagues was great to see and showed just what a fab team spirit we still have within the squad.

So the aforementioned winnable run of Nine games is up and running with this emphatic win, one down, Eight to go and why shouldn't win most of them ? Based on last night we are capable although it has to be said Millwall looked woeful and dead in the water in truth, I feel they are going down based on the poor effort. But the sensible approach as always is to take One game at a time and not look into the future or get too far ahead of ourselves, it has served us well in the past.

Next up and game number Two in this run is another away day, this time the long haul to Wales and a match up with Swansea who like Millwall are finding things tougher than was expected although they are clearly not in such a dire situation as the Lions, that said the Swans will still be wanting to get some more points on the board and quickly. they are currently in Seventeenth place with a Seven point cushion from the drop zone so while not critical it is still very much too close for comfort and that sort of lead can be eroded away very quickly.

They are clearly lacking in confidence right now and have only won One game under Luke Williams, and with only one win in the last Six League outings this is clearly looking like more than just a blip. With Swansea nursing a fair few injuries, particularly in defence this could be a good time to take them on and you have to feel with our fire power we could well take advantage of their misfortune. Town seem to be clear of too many injury problems and I think we can get another win on the road. providing of course we keep a clean sheet in the opening Fifteen minutes and not find ourselves chasing the game, I don't think we will find the stadium too hostile and again that will suit us with our large and very vocal support in attendance.

So it's another Town win for me, albeit not quite such a stroll as Wednesday turned out to be but well within our capabilities for sure. With Southampton playing away at West Brom on Friday night and Plymouth hosting Leeds at lunch time on Saturday we could conceivably find ourselves level on points with Leeds Utd and a game in hand come 5pm Saturday evening, how good would that be, we haven't been cut adrift just yet. Town win. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Swansea City - Honours

League

Second Division / Championship
Promoted: 1980–81
Play-off winners: 2011

Third Division South / Third Division / League One
Champions: 1924–25, 1948–49, 2007–08
Promoted: 1978–79

Fourth Division / Third Division / League Two
Champions: 1999–2000
Promoted: 1969–70, 1977–78, 2004–05
Play-off winners: 1988

Cup

Football League Cup
Winners: 2012–13

Football League Trophy
Winners: 1993–94, 2005–06

Welsh Cup
Winners (10): 1912–13, 1931–32, 1949–50, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1988–89, 1990–91

FAW Premier Cup
Winners: 2004–05, 2005–06

The Manager– Luke Williams

League Table as at 15.02.2024

Form Guide

Swansea City

20 Jan Swansea City 1 - 3 Southampton

30 Jan Leicester City 3 - 1 Swansea City

3 Feb Swansea City 0 - 1 Plymouth

10 Feb Hull City 0 - 1 Swansea City

13 Feb Swansea City 0 - 4 Leeds Utd

Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Sunderland

22 Jan Leicester City 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

3 Feb Preston 3 - 2 Ipswich Town

10 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 2 West Brom

14 Feb Millwall 0 - 4 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – John Busby

SWANSEA CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

arana peligrosa

Re: Championship - Swansea City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:20 am

Voted to win although the Millwall performance and score made it so. Without that, had another poor result arose, may just as well voted different but you got to keep faith in things. The opposition don't seem up to much. Appear too easily beaten and concede goals regular. With the attacking options we possess they can be got at and ideally, we can take something from it.

Visited Swansea 2, 3 times, been all over the city and far and wide and never saw the stadium. Either it's invisible or hiding in plain sight but for all the venturing about it's a fine city and worth making the trip. Everything there, and I mean everything, is written in both Welsh and English. In any event hope to get victory from it and wish nearest challengers slip up and drop points with it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 am

I had predicted a loss against Millwall - and although our performance was much better than I had been expecting (especially defence) I hadn't bargained on Millwall being so woeful, in fact they were the poorest Chapionship side I have seen in a while.

So I'm expecting Swansea to be similar and can't see beyond a comfortable win for us - 3 or 4 nil I think.

Incidentally, I agree with Mike that it was great to see the reaction to Al-Hamedi's goal, both from himself and his team-mates - well, most of his team-mates, anyway, it was not lost on me that the reaction from Mr Chaplin was distinctly lukewarm, maybe he wanted to take it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:44 pm

I predicted we’d score 3 and win at Millwall and I’m expecting a similar result on Saturday at Swansea. Whilst I didn’t expect the clean sheet on Wednesday night I see no reason why we can’t have two on the bounce especially if we can shut up shop for the first 20 minutes like we did at Tgd New Den. We certainly need to start piling the goals in as I think goal difference between us and Leeds could well come into play at the end of the season.

I loved the Al-Hamadi goal celebration too and trust this will be his trademark, hopefully we’ll see it many more times between now and May.

Prediction; Swansea City 0-3 Ipswich Town

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:54 am

Shame about the Saints result last night, and Leeds probably win in the early kick off today.

Lineup?

You'd have to imagine Omari HAS to start again? Does Chaplin stay out? Will they keep the same XI mostly but rotate tuesday? Its not common for Clarke, Masimo and Broadhead to play every game when there is midweek games, they all have injury question marks so the club has done well managing that.

Suspect we might see 1-2 changes at most.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:59 am

Gotta feeling it’ll be a draw today. Would love a win naturally … we’ll see

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:56 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:59 am
Gotta feeling it’ll be a draw today. Would love a win naturally … we’ll see
Just love your confidence in our team Liz ❤️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:12 pm

It's more a reflection of my complete lack of confidence in our defence unfortunately. :lol: the rest of our team is very good...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 pm

Chaplin in for Burns, rest unchanged

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:06 pm

COYBssssss

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:02 pm
Chaplin in for Burns, rest unchanged
Happy enough. Chaplin needs to play well or will again find himself dropped, he seems to have struggled a bit of late but I guess the whole team has.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:41 pm

Would love to see Al Hamadi get a longer spell today. Leeds have won now and Southampton responded very well to their first loss in months, so almost certain that it's play-offs for us. Consequently, we have a bit of cushion to try a few variations and I feel we need to be a bit more adaptable now the opposition clearly know how we're going to set up and play every game.

Town win again. Three for us and another clean sheet would be great but unlikely.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:14 pm

Much better opening 10 minutes than we had at Millwall on Wednesday night. It looks like we’re already in our stride.

A shame Burgess didn’t do better with that free header.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm

⚽️⚽️⚽️ Well done it’s Nathan Broadhead again 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm

Get in !!!!! BROADHEAD

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:15 pm

Wooooooaaah 0-1 Broady again

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:14 pm
Much better opening 10 minutes than we had at Millwall on Wednesday night. It looks like we’re already in our stride.

A shame Burgess didn’t do better with that free header.
Indeed, a much better start. Didn’t take long to get on top. Lovely goal too

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:18 pm

Another game we don’t have to chase. So much better and makes it significantly easier on ourselves.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:18 pm

What a difference when coming out of the blocks almost straight from the kick off

Just got to keep it up. Too early to think to much on the goal difference but great start

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:21 pm

Just checked and we are winning!!

Get in!! :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:29 pm

Leicester losing 0-1 at home to Middlesbrough 👍

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:31 pm

First game in the last 11 that town aren’t on ESPN over here, having to follow it on fotmob ticker

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:34 pm

Town TV frozen. Missed the equaliser. Is it just me?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:36 pm

No mine frozen too 🙄

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:37 pm

Yer I missed it too, but undoubtedly a c*ck up in defence as we were making several errors in the minutes b4….

GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLL CHAPPERS WOOOOAAAAH

Swansea commentators think several players in centre of park were offside when the ball put fwd
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:37 pm

2-1 up. Missed the last 2 goals.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:38 pm

Missed the equaliser but not our second. ⚽️⚽️⚽️

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:38 pm

Conor Chaplin baby. Conor Chaplin oooohh!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:38 pm

The video with subtitles is working fine, great goal from Chaplin

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:40 pm

I keep losing audio coverage - about 5 times now. Very aggravating