Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Make it 3 Wins in a row?

Ipswich Win
94%
Rotherham Win
No votes
Draw
6%

Total votes: 17

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:57 am

None of our players had that though surely ?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:05 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:57 am
None of our players had that though surely ?
I didn't read the rules but if the other side use a concussion sub you can use a 6th substitute, it certainly had me worried this morning.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1980769
Last edited by Cabanas Blue on Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:07 am

We subbed Clarke through injury with Axel, is that classed as separate from normal exchanges i.e 5 off 5 on I wouldn't have thought the third official would have allowed the subs if it wasn't legal in the rules, please enlighten me, someone

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:15 am

Well according to the BBC Suffolk commentators I listened to on the way home it was fine and within the rules so should not be an issue 🤞

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:15 am

Weird about the subs, I did think it was odd at the time.

As it happens in away right now and only 18 miles from Rotherham!

Hard one to watch last night but glad we got the result. I think Brum will be a tough game, I’ll be there for that one.

I’m fine with us passing out from the back in general but nice we also have the direct route when needed to big KM.

The last three games haven’t been vintage Ipswich, but the positive is the points haul. We do need to get back to our best game though as tougher challenges are coming.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:16 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:30 pm
Not the dominating display I’d hoped for, but a great display of resilience and determination to get the win. One thing is for sure, this Ipswich Town is not giving up. Yes we made the Millers look like Barcelona for periods, but…we won!

Have to say anyone who questions Wes Burns contribution to this team really doesn’t know a lot of football…I mean playing football. Not an armchair quarterback, but from the perspective of someone who’s played the game at various levels Burns is our most valuable player…in my opinion.

Remember, Rotherham have nothing to play for. They’re relegated for sure. Yet we took their indifference and fought like a wild bull. I’m very proud of my team tonight.

COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But opinions are like arseholes etc etc :wink:

Dunno about not knowing much about football - I've been watching if for nearly 70 years and played twice a week at quite a decent local level well into my 30's, so I guess I know a little bit at least. My opinion on WB is that he does well when we play the lower teams who primarily have mainly L1 level players - at least he takes the defenders on and usually beats them although his crossing of the ball usually leaves a lot to be desired. But against the better teams with Championship level defenders he rarely attempts to take defenders on and when he does he is usually beaten. That's my take on him - and as he doesn't get too many starts with Wales I'm guessing the Welsh manager has a similar perspective.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:19 am

Thank god the substitutions thing looks OK then, I guess I've made this bloody "McKenna OUT" banner for nothing, I'll put it away until such time

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:19 am
Thank god the substitutions thing looks OK then, I guess I've made this bloody "McKenna OUT" banner for nothing, I'll put it away until such time
Burn that thing! :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:48 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:27 am
Bluemike wrote:
Burn that thing! :shock:
:D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:53 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:16 am
My opinion on WB is that he does well when we play the lower teams who primarily have mainly L1 level players
Could be wrong Rossi, but to me it has always felt like you watched a few games where he didn't play well, you made your mind up on him and now you watch him through turd tinted glasses, where every good bit of work he does is luck and every bad bit epitomises him.

He's not got the technical quality of a few of the players around him, but go and watch the highlights of the game yesterday, he was evolved in everything going forward before he was subbed, 1 assist, 2 goals and could have had 3 or 4 himself. He's hit some excellent form this calendar year and really seems to have a lot more drive going forward and fire in his belly than I've ever seen from him.

Will/does he do it every game, nope definitely not, but neither do Broadhead or Chaplin etc, and other than the odd mention that they've had a quiet game or two, or they're out of form, they don't really get fundamentally criticised unlike Burns.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:58 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:16 am
My opinion on WB is that he does well when we play the lower teams who primarily have mainly L1 level players - at least he takes the defenders on and usually beats them although his crossing of the ball usually leaves a lot to be desired. But against the better teams with Championship level defenders he rarely attempts to take defenders on and when he does he is usually beaten.
Fair point. I do think WB tends to burn hot and cold, but when he's hot he displays speed and quality. His pass to KM was sublime and his speed down the wing for Clarke's pass was evident, although he was up against an older defender. I really like how he usually dribbles the ball into the box (when he can) before crossing, drawing defenders and creating the possibility of contact for a penalty. The movement also opens up channels in front of goal as other defenders cover. Just my opinion, and as you say opinions are like arseholes. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:04 pm

One more comment on this tippy tappy stuff coming out from the back. It annoys me when Hladky passes the ball to defenders under pressure at the top and center of the penalty box. This is such a dangerous pass, and a fundamental taboo from a defensive standpoint. He does it almost every game, and KM needs to stamp it out before we concede another unnecessary goal.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 pm

Thought more would’ve grown to Burns after the “bun” was chopped but perhaps not.
He’s definitely more of a positive to Ipswich Town FC than a negative.

Want Conor Chaplin to hit more form. Arsehole opinion coming from an arsehole, (did i say that right? Think i did)……. But Chappers (and young Omari) are the most talented players at the club. An on form, “up for it” Chappers will go leaps & bounds for auto-promos.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:08 pm

And to add…….. turd tinted glasses is very good. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm
I just hope Clarke is OK because Axel is not the answer and and I would like to see Fridge and Burgess at the back.
You may be right re Axel, but I do feel so sorry for him because he barely gets bit part minutes on the pitch . Hes never going to build up a head of steam and iron out his rustiness playing the odd few minutes. I don't think we can play Edmunsdon alongside Burgess because both are Left sided CB's . Woolfenden is leading a charmed life being picked every week, because he simply cannot defend. Playing tippy tappy football out of defence with mostly 5 yard sideways to his right or back to the GK ( who's often on his goal line) is not defending .

Last nights game vs Rotherham was always going to be a barrage of high balls and physical aggressive play from them , and called for strong , decisive absolute defending. We had ONE CB doing that , and that was Burgess. Woolfenden is NOT a CB in humble opinion. In fact, what is he? Emundson although he did ok in the games he had hes always got a mistake in him ... So in my book both he and Woolfenden need to offloaded in the summer, along with Donacian, and Aluko .

Interestingly , when we played Rotherham at their place earlier this season, Axel was in instead of Woolfenden and he was untroubled for the whole time he was on the pitch, and had a very good game from memory. What does this guy have to do to get a run out consecutive games I wonder?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Surely the fourth official has to take some responsibility for policing the number of substitutions used by each side ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:04 pm
One more comment on this tippy tappy stuff coming out from the back. It annoys me when Hladky passes the ball to defenders under pressure at the top and center of the penalty box. This is such a dangerous pass, and a fundamental taboo from a defensive standpoint. He does it almost every game, and KM needs to stamp it out before we concede another unnecessary goal.
It will almost certainly be KM that instructs Hladky to do it, it is from such high risk strategy that we have gained so much success.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Surely the fourth official has to take some responsibility for policing the number of substitutions used by each side ?
Possibly yes but they never get blamed for anything.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm

Anyone seen the Burns post match interview on town tv? Listen to how many times he says ‘you know’.

Random but is it me or does Hutchison seem to be quite downbeat? I’ve noticed lately he doesn’t look overly happy even when scoring? Maybe he had always been that way?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
number 9 wrote:
It will almost certainly be KM that instructs Hladky to do it, it is from such high risk strategy that we have gained so much success.
I find it hard to believe that KM specifically tells Hladky to pass the ball into the area I mentioned. Obviously playing out from the back is KM's tactical plan, but there are good ways and bad ways to accomplish this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:35 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:27 pm
Anyone seen the Burns post match interview on town tv? Listen to how many times he says ‘you know’.

Random but is it me or does Hutchison seem to be quite downbeat? I’ve noticed lately he doesn’t look overly happy even when scoring? Maybe he had always been that way?
Ive noticed that about OH too...I think hes cheesed off with being a bench player...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
number 9 wrote:
The whole defence play this tippy tappy build from the back crap ALL the time , no matter what the circumstances and even when its not appropriate to do it . Ever wondered why Hldaky is under pressure when trying to play the ball out ? Look who passes him the bloody ball when hes on the goal line , and has opponents around him in the box , WOOLFIE !! That was how PNE score their last goal against us because that prat when almost on the half way line turned and passed back to the keeper ...WHY ???

And the criticism of Clarke drifting out of position , has anyone wondered why he might be dong this ? eg he comes into the box instead of staying wide.... I think its because hes trying to cover Woolfenden. Id say about 90% of the goals against us come down that right side of defence... regardless of who is at right back. The only player never dropped is bloody Woolfenden, hes a liability in my humble opinion, and vastly overrated.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm

All cheesed off players can go fk themselves. You’re paid to work for the guy in charge. Thankfully Hutchinson demonstrates his worth in his play. Who the hell cares how he smiles or celebrates …… He bursts a gut when he’s on. He’s arguably the easiest one to “work out” in terms of the opposition, but he’s gifted and gets away with it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:51 pm

I am not surprised in the slightest that Hladky gets caught on the odd occasion playing behind that shitfest defence, I am shocked it has only been Two or Three times to be honest.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:41 pm
And the criticism of Clarke drifting out of position , has anyone wondered why he might be dong this ? eg he comes into the box instead of staying wide.... I think its because hes trying to cover Woolfenden. Id say about 90% of the goals against us come down that right side of defence... regardless of who is at right back. The only player never dropped is bloody Woolfenden, hes a liability in my humble opinion, and vastly overrated.
Yeah, it was obvious Rotherham were targeting our right side for large parts of the game. Woolfy started his career as a midfielder I believe, and it's evident he's not a CB.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 pm
I just hope Clarke is OK because Axel is not the answer and and I would like to see Fridge and Burgess at the back.
You may be right re Axel, but I do feel so sorry for him because he barely gets bit part minutes on the pitch . Hes never going to build up a head of steam and iron out his rustiness playing the odd few minutes. I don't think we can play Edmunsdon alongside Burgess because both are Left sided CB's . Woolfenden is leading a charmed life being picked every week, because he simply cannot defend. Playing tippy tappy football out of defence with mostly 5 yard sideways to his right or back to the GK ( who's often on his goal line) is not defending .

Last nights game vs Rotherham was always going to be a barrage of high balls and physical aggressive play from them , and called for strong , decisive absolute defending. We had ONE CB doing that , and that was Burgess. Woolfenden is NOT a CB in humble opinion. In fact, what is he? Emundson although he did ok in the games he had hes always got a mistake in him ... So in my book both he and Woolfenden need to offloaded in the summer, along with Donacian, and Aluko .

Interestingly , when we played Rotherham at their place earlier this season, Axel was in instead of Woolfenden and he was untroubled for the whole time he was on the pitch, and had a very good game from memory. What does this guy have to do to get a run out consecutive games I wonder?
Edmundson is right footed but maybe KMc does not think they can play together if he were to drop or rest Wolfie I would rather see him play than Axel but then again what do I know 🤔

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:01 pm

shabba wrote:

and the thing is - we don't know, that's why the bloody question was asked

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:22 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:01 pm
shabba wrote:

and the thing is - we don't know, that's why the bloody question was asked
There is a word for it, can’t recall but when you unconsciously use the same word of phrase between words - alot of people use ‘erm’ constantly for example. He must have said it 50 times in 4mins.

On Woolfie - didn’t he get dropped for leeds and we lost 4-0?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:24 pm

It's nerves with Burns

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:37 pm

The Fourth Officials

In general, fourth officials are responsible for assisting the referee with:

•administrative functions before, during and after the match
assessment of players' equipment;

managing substitutions, including using a numbered board or electronic display where supplied

•notifying, by means of numbered boards or electronic displays where supplied, the time added on at the end of each half

•acting as the contact point between the match officiating crew and any outside agents (such as stadium managers, security personnel and ball retrievers)

•maintaining decorum in the teams' technical areas

•identifying offences or other infringements where the referee does not have an adequate view

Given point 3 above I can’t see how any football club can be penalised for breach of the 5 sub rule.